• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Mariners V Melbourne Victory

Insertnamehere

. even worse when the CBs spread and Oli moves between them ... we essentially form a circle with Niz isolated in the offset middle. the vast space in the middle of the park is filled with opposition players

. i had thought maybe players were getting ahead of themselves ... but we see it so consistently they must have been instructed because nothing seems to be changing - which is a great concern. i even got to the point last night of thinking that maybe Monty was trying the double bluff
Absolutely this. And Oli doesn't take control of the play as much anymore.

turbo

even worse when the CBs spread and Oli moves between them ... we essentially form a circle with Niz isolated in the offset middle. the vast space in the middle of the park is filled with opposition players
There was a moment in the mid 50 mins range from what I remember where it looked like we had a 6 man back line and they did not have 6 men that far forward. Huge hole in the midfield.

bikinigirl

There was a moment in the mid 50 mins range from what I remember where it looked like we had a 6 man back line and they did not have 6 men that far forward. Huge hole in the midfield.

. i am not going to 'like' your post because i don't like it ... but you are correct

. we seem to swing from one extreme to the other, with little balance or control. the vacant space in the midfield is consistent for both extremes though

Tevor

. i am not going to 'like' your post because i don't like it ... but you are correct

. we seem to swing from one extreme to the other, with little balance or control. the vacant space in the midfield is consistent for both extremes though
Yes, I’m now so used to seeing the ball head into the midfield and the opposition have three players and we have none near it. It must be instructed it happens so regularly.

Rojas had a field day when he started drifting into the middle and we were so lucky it didn’t lead to goals thanks to Birraz. This was a smart tactic by Popa and one we did not cope with. Clear as day all opposing teams know our weak spot.

What was also concerning was the free headers from corners they had in the first half. I’m also now used to us being totally dominated in the air. Our % win for heading duals must be the lowest in the league.

Melange

My thoughts on a few of the themes.

That we were lucky to get a point and only Birra kept us in it - Nope, frustrating as it is how slow our attack has become, we dominated large periods. They had better chances and Birra made great saves, but that's football, how often have we watched Sydney in their best years and wondered how they won a match? Goalie keeps them in it, Bobo scores from his one chance. Without Dan's howler we win 1-0, with it if they called the f**king penalty, 2-1. We was robbed.

Cy. Not at this standard? - I'm not willing to back that call yet. He was looking the goods until Covid disruption where we were moving the ball much quicker and he had space up field to run at isolated defenders. He also had the benefit of Nis and Miller carving it up on the right so when he got it on the left he had more room in the centre.

Watching other games and wondering how we'd keep up against other teams. -I've been the same the last two seasons and really fear a shellacking some weeks based on the opposition's performance in the previous game. But 9/10 times it's not an issue. I think Melbourne City last season second game is the only clear example I can think of.

Marco/Cummings combination. I think Marco has been the biggest loser from Nis moving back. Nis allowed Marco to receive it more around the box and create or shoot, he's regularly dropping too deep now. Maybe it's the blind enthusiast in me but I feel they're just 30cm away from setting each other up for a brace in a game and realising they have it, they know what each other is thinking. Just shows it was truly incredible how quickly Matty and Marco clicked last year.

Completely agree on the shit officials theme. First five minutes Fazz has got around the little kiwi flog and had the chance to drive along the backline and set someone up. Kiwi flog reaches over the shoulder and drags him down, clear yellow. Their coaches harassing the ref, how long could Monty get away with that before being warned? Their players surrounding the ref shouting at him, how long could Matty/Marco/Miller get away with that? At least he made the right decision to put away the yellow. Clear pen not called, who gives a f**k, it's the Mariners. I need to calm down now.

Man Overboard

He worked his arse off but every time he touched the ball he gave it away.
He lost possession a few times, and I groaned at one of them, so he certainly didn't have a perfect day at the office, but his work rate was impressive. Someone mentioned elsewhere that he has recently been forced to drop back to an AM role and it was happening again yesterday. I also liked his efforts in defending and trying to win the ball back.

Blackadder

Will leave the tactical formation side of things to those more qualified than me.
On the game itself, a positive that they hung in there after the Hall brain fade and rescued a point late rather than dropping points late.
Not sure if KGJ was asleep in the VAR booth when Marco got shoved, but how he missed it will remain a mystery.
Birra was immense again, and has to be going close to the best keeper in the league.

Forum Phoenix

Are you sure it is not by design?

lol. not ennnntirrrrrely. What I see (beside the 442 defensive set up) is the holding DM’s stay back and more central as expected - but the wingers advance and start wide then either wander back inside to try and receive a pass from Olly or start trying to make a run then cut back in because they don’t have the pace to get down the line. So we then end up with, I agree what looks like a 4222. But surely that’s not the plan??

Besides the issue it creates in transitioning back to a 442 to defend, we will never have proper width. Which imho is just madness for any side.

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

Poor performance against a much better side and we fought back to get a point
That's the positive.

We were awful. No tempo, no energy and everything through the middle made it easy for Vuck.

If I'm Cumdog, I want out. He stormed off down the tunnel at the end and if it was because Urena won't pass to him I'd understand.
Marco was truly awful. He deserves a spell on the bench.
That stupid shot he took when we had 2 players in the 6 yard box showed everything. He and Cumdog can't play together
Cy is going backwards and needs to bulk up if he wants to play in this league.
Miller needs to go and buy a lottery ticket ?

Allreet?

Completely agree on the shit officials theme. First five minutes Fazz has got around the little kiwi flog and had the chance to drive along the backline and set someone up. Kiwi flog reaches over the shoulder and drags him down, clear yellow. Their coaches harassing the ref, how long could Monty get away with that before being warned? Their players surrounding the ref shouting at him, how long could Matty/Marco/Miller get away with that? At least he made the right decision to put away the yellow. Clear pen not called, who gives a f**k, it's the Mariners. I need to calm down now.
I feel your pain brother.

Someone in the ref's association needs to make a stand on that pressure shit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred