• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Mariners V Melbourne Victory

Forum Phoenix

I was with Ancient (on tv) and early he appeared to be having his best game and with Niz back in DM the ability of the two meant we kept the ball well and the link up was better but it faded over the game.

I don’t like Cy either and think he’s weak and that made me notice he was doing better. He wasn’t awesome don’t get me wrong but was decent.

I don’t doubt he would have killed some posessions that what he does but it wasn’t as noticeable.

I am sure at the game it was more evident
Then the TV has not shown a lot of poor play. He’s sub standard. Never leads an attack - his primary job - and is worse than useless as a defender.

true believer

It has to stay just for the Bay 16 chant tonight of “he’s cumming no more” after he was hit in the Jatz cracker.
Yeah i get it. But i'll never be a fan .
Mrs tb picked up on it and i sure other people with kids did, Im sure

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

Are we at the point where we spell Hall?

Marcos' combo with Niz has fizzled away too. I think that's a big part of it. Somehow need to reunite them
Yep. It’s not just his combo play with Moresche that’s changed. He was loving playing with Niz during pre season and early games.

PJ has already nailed what’s happening.

442. strike combo.., big nine who heads/flick on holds up and bring others into the play… last year Matty… who then received the through ball back in turn from Marcos. Worked a treat.

Moresche and Marcos combo, completely different again. Triangles, dribbling and clever link play….

Enter Cummings, a much more direct striker who thrives on service at the top or around the box. Just a yard to get off a shot is all he needs.

Our two best attackers do not look to be a fit, at the very least - playing in a 422.
Can they/Monty resolve it? Maybe. Time is an enemy.

And, we are NOT playing to the strengths of a 422. Least not in the first half.

The strikers both made run after run at the line that was ignored. And once again we end up flat and trying to play in front of the opponents defence. Fazz and Miller were not releasing the ball, or when Fazz did he just couldn’t make the pass.

Credit to Monty, completely changed as soon as they came back out second half. Miller straight away plays the ball early down the wing and we get in behind. And everyone after was much more direct and looking to play over and or wide early, at last we started turning them around and got over the top of them.

But our final ball was still missing. Faz is an incredible defender for his age, but will probably need another 2 seasons before his delivery is as required (right in time to be poached and playing for someone else)

Bottom line, there is just no point having two strikers up top if you’re going to play slow okon ball. All you’re doing is disadvantaging your midfield by leaving a hole and then forcing your strikers to start coming deeper to try and get on the ball because no one can/will hit them a through ball. I was groaning watching how deep dCumdog was coming at times to try to bring himself into the play.

Did he even get a shot off today? The guy is lethal. We need to be organising our attacking play so they can’t just mark him out of games.

Step 1) wingers on both sides who can x attack. Step 2), a left back who can attack. Step 3) players who move the ball quickly and can make their passes

If we can’t get a bag of goals out of Marcos and Cummings. Somethings wrong.

Last edited:

Big Al

Yep. It’s not just his combo play with Moresche that’s changed. He was loving playing with Niz during pre season and early games.

PJ has already nailed what’s happening.

442. strike combo.., big nine who heads/flick on holds up and bring others into the play… last year Matty… who then received the through ball back in turn from Marcos. Worked a treat.

Moresche and Marcos combo, completely different again. Triangles, dribbling and clever link play….

Enter Cummings, a much more direct striker who thrives on service at the top or around the box. Just a yard to get off a shot is all he needs.

Our two best attackers do not look to be a fit, at the very least - playing in a 422.
Can they/Monty resolve it? Maybe. Time is an enemy.

And, we are NOT playing to the strengths of a 422. Least not in the first half.

The strikers both made run after run at the line that was ignored. And once again we end up flat and trying to play in front of the opponents defence. Fazz and Miller were not releasing the ball, or when Fazz did he just couldn’t make the pass.

Credit to Monty, completely changed as soon as they came back out second half. Miller straight away plays the ball early down the wing and we get in behind. And everyone after was much more direct and looking to play over and or wide early, at last we started turning them around and got over the top of them.

But our final ball was still missing. Faz is an incredible defender for his age, but will probably need another 2 seasons before his delivery is as required (right in time to be poached and playing for someone else)

Bottom line, there is just no point having two strikers up top if you’re going to play slow okon ball. All you’re doing is disadvantaging your midfield by leaving a hole and then forcing your strikers to start coming deeper to try and get on the ball because no one can/will hit them a through ball. I was groaning watching how deep dCumdog was coming at times to try to bring himself into the play.

Did he even get a shot off today? The guy is lethal. We need to be organising our attacking play so they can’t just mark him out of games.

Step 1) wingers on both sides who can x attack. Step 2), a left back who can attack. Step 3) players who move the ball quickly and can make their passes

If we can’t get a bag of goals out of Marcos and Cummings. Somethings wrong.
The commentary was talking about us having no width which was true nd us going exclusively down the middle into a 9 man defense.

We don’t have fast wings with good crossing or cut back ability.

Beni needs time to organise his feet before doing anything. Cy can cross but is not strong enough to get that far down field and we rely on Miller on the right who also has a horrible cross and is more a take them on player.

This is why Moreshe is suffering to because he’s not a winger either.

Garang might be a fix and Hatch late could help if used properly.

Also our forwards are to small for aerial crosses without Matt.

Matt would make a big difference as is a different type of player. Matt suits 442 and brings Urena into play as Cummins and Urena are to similar and negate each other

marinermick

The commentary was talking about us having no width which was true nd us going exclusively down the middle into a 9 man defense.

We don’t have fast wings with good crossing or cut back ability.

Beni needs time to organise his feet before doing anything. Cy can cross but is not strong enough to get that far down field and we rely on Miller on the right who also has a horrible cross and is more a take them on player.

This is why Moreshe is suffering to because he’s not a winger either.

Garang might be a fix and Hatch late could help if used properly.

Also our forwards are to small for aerial crosses without Matt.

Matt would make a big difference as is a different type of player. Matt suits 442 and brings Urena into play as Cummins and Urena are to similar and negate each other

We have no width because we are playing a 4-2-2-2. Everyone here keeps banging on about a 4-4-2 but it is much more narrow than that.

Ancient Mariner

We have no width because we are playing a 4-2-2-2. Everyone here keeps banging on about a 4-4-2 but it is much more narrow than that.
I think I called it 4-2-2-2 last year and was told it was 4-4-2. Whatever. It is 4-4-2 in defence while in attack it can become 2-2-2-4 or 2-4-2-2, 3-1-2-4 or any combination you like depending at who runs where. I told you I was going to speak heresy.

The important thing is our wingers are coming infield but not effectively combining with the strikers and no longer working the sides with the fullbacks. When Nizzy was playing on the wing he worked well with Urena. Mueller is a goal threat but does not really provide. Beni is not a good provider yet but is effective doing his own thing.

My argument is, we have two quality forwards who are not being fed, no matter what the formation. We need to get someone with skill in the hole.

Ancient Mariner

Coverage is limited, TV doesn’t show you how often he kills the play, is uninvolved or doesn’t do his job and track back.

it just shows you in close when he links for the odd pass and turns well. total pretender as far as I’m concerned.
I cannot argue with you FP. It has been a common argument of mine that you cannot see everything on tv and that a good seat at the game is far superior to make judgements.

What you say is a shame as Cy has a heap of skills and came with massive wraps from le Fondre. I had hoped he was beginning to turn the corner.

Maybe like other inexperienced players in our ranks a season will do him the world of good and he will develop next year. Kye is a great example to not write players off too soon. It takes a good eye to see who will improve and who will not. I hope Monty has it.

bikinigirl

. i keep seeing 4-2-4 ... unless it is 3-2-5 or 2-2-6 with nothing being provided from the midfield

. if people are suggesting a flat four across the midfield they are kidding themselves ... we do see a very flat four across the front often though

Forum Phoenix

. i keep seeing 4-2-4 ... unless it is 3-2-5 or 2-2-6 with nothing being provided from the midfield

. if people are suggesting a flat four across the midfield they are kidding themselves ... we do see a very flat four across the front often though
Yeah we keep seeing it right. And we’ll keep on seeing it unless we release the ball quicker and or use more width.

Forum Phoenix

Keep up highlights don't even show the Urena push in the box.

I am amazed there isn't more noise being made about this, honestly seemed like a clear cut penalty to me in real and in slow time...
Yep. There’s an argument the referee might of missed it in real time - thinking it’s shoulder to shoulder. But no excuse for VAR. Replay shows it was clear contact in the back.

Does Marcos go down easy? Sure, but that’s what happens in the box. Still a clear push in the back and the other player goes down. Absolute pen. Can’t believe VAR didn’t even have the balls to ask the ref to take another look. Maybe he was thinking soft contact, or maybe he just missed it. They don’t know,

They’re so f**king useless,

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

I cannot argue with you FP. It has been a common argument of mine that you cannot see everything on tv and that a good seat at the game is far superior to make judgements.

What you say is a shame as Cy has a heap of skills and came with massive wraps from le Fondre. I had hoped he was beginning to turn the corner.

Maybe like other inexperienced players in our ranks a season will do him the world of good and he will develop next year. Kye is a great example to not write players off too soon. It takes a good eye to see who will improve and who will not. I hope Monty has it.
Yeah I’d really hoped he’d be great for us too.

Ads

When our 2 Centre Backs have the ball it is worth mentioning our 2 wide backs are also well forward in line with the midfield, so the wide midfield is very high or trying to find where they fit.

I have harped on about this problem a couple of times because it’s frustrates the shit out of me!

The wide backs need to receive the ball, then move it forward!!

That’s how you create 1 2’s / triangles!
It starts from the wide backs and is how to connect successfully to midfield with more space.

Something so simple we can fix!

Keep the wide backs back until they receive the ball then punch hard!

bikinigirl

. even worse when the CBs spread and Oli moves between them ... we essentially form a circle with Niz isolated in the offset middle. the vast space in the middle of the park is filled with opposition players

. i had thought maybe players were getting ahead of themselves ... but we see it so consistently they must have been instructed because nothing seems to be changing - which is a great concern. i even got to the point last night of thinking that maybe Monty was trying the double bluff

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred