• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Mariners Squad 2021/22

turbo

I was hoping the club might chuck us a signing on Friday arvo to draw a line under the Staj departure and move forward but not to be. There’s a fair few player departures around the place being announced so I wonder if we have our eye on anyone.

Tim

I was hoping the club might chuck us a signing on Friday arvo to draw a line under the Staj departure and move forward but not to be. There’s a fair few player departures around the place being announced so I wonder if we have our eye on anyone.
I agree, if the rumours are true that we have re-signed some of the squad then why not announce them and take a bit of the sting out of the Staj departure? They clearly got ahead of the game with the very welcome Rowles re-signing this week but one wonders if the cupboard is otherwise bare…

Ancient Mariner

MC is alive :popcorn:
Sounds like staj had been thinking about another job for a little bit (maybe Western U or women’s world cup) and has decided to take that up instead of our small budget run team

MC's statements in this article are worth a fair bit of thought.
I get the distinct impression that he is much more involved, than he was at the start of the season when my feeling was that if he could not sell he would just dump the Club.
I now get a feeling of much more positivity on his part.
Mind you he has pledged to continue support the Club but only the bare minimum.
He also states that he has been looking for a major investor for 10 years. It is no longer "the Club is for sale".
Has this season given him hope that the Club can operate successfully under this scheme?
Has the possibility of stadium management rights revitalised his interest?
Was "the Club is for sale", just testing the market or a response to the asset is not performing.

I am starting to get the feeling that the from MC's perspective the whole Central Coast thing is just a division of his business empire to be kept just ticking over until the time is right to develop more fully (eg businesses associated with the stadium or associated property development) or to sell to make a capital profit.

Many others are primarily owners of licences as they are football tragics and willing to put in money to enjoy themselves. Others buy them as a status symbol. Some will buy them to be part of the game and micromanage, being involved in every decision.

I am getting the feeling that we were bought and are owned as a part of a business opportunity. We are of value and to be looked after, but just part of a business to be kept running but with no capital input that is not entirely necessary.

If we see the football club as just another asset that is part of the Australian division of Charlesworth Enterprises we will understand better where he is coming from.

Ozhammer

MC now has his much-touted independent A-League, possibly stadium management rights and the new (and much better) broadcast deal, so it is time for him to do what he previously said he would do and meaningfully invest in the club.

If he fails to do so, we will know for sure that he is just a bs merchant. None of us would expect him to bankrupt himself but all of the triggers he publicly said were required to encourage him to put more money in have effectively been met, so it’s now time to p*ss in the pot or get off of it.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

I think he will invest more in the Club if he can see a return on his money. The Club is a centrepiece to be built around. I fear he sees the success of the past season as enough at this stage to have a more serious go at stadium rights. If he thinks silverware is necessary for further successful expansion of his Australian business then we may see more funding. However, at this stage I think he would prefer other investors to come aboard rather than fund further expansion on his own.

Ancient Mariner

On reflection, I think the putting the Club up for sale was serious at the time. His strategy for the business was not working, was making a loss and did not appear to be able to be turned around. Therefore the non performing asset was to be sold.
Fortunately or unfortunately this last season has provided a glimmer of hope for the future and the perfect storm of disasters meant that any possible sale did not happen.
His talk now is of looking for investors again is a subtle change of language and makes me think that he has gone back to plan A and he is not looking to sell, just looking for partners.

I have no inside information, I am just trying to see things from his side to try to work out logically what he is thinking and planning.

I suspect he was comfortable with the original 3 way partnership and happy to come along with them for the opportunities offered. Unfortunately the others could not fund the liabilities and he had to take full ownership. I think we are lucky that he did, if not we would have gone under.

I am fairly sure that if he can find a couple of other investors he will come along and share the costs required to move forward. But at this stage is not prepared or able to spend what it needs alone. Now with the league independent, with a new broadcast partner, and new sponsor to come, hopefully, this will happen. I would say he could see no other investors coming on board under the old FFA model which is why he was so much in favour of independence which, at the time, seemed not in our small regional club's best interests and counter productive.

If he can find two more investors all three willing to contribute $1m -$2m per annum then we will be laughing. If not and he is left alone keeping us on bread and water then the for sale sign will go up.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

I have just been thinking (I know it can be dangerous), on a lazy Sunday morning, what sort of coach he will be thinking of as a replacement.

Rising Sun

I've been thinking something similar as to whether he might have 2nd thoughts about selling. A lot of his strategies for making the club self-sufficient are closer to fruition than they have ever been - stadium rights, a pipeline of players that can provide transfer revenue and even the possibility of further development at the COE.

With crowds on the up again and the positivity around the 10/Paramount deal, I can see him being tempted to hang in there a bit longer.

Tevor

I've been thinking something similar as to whether he might have 2nd thoughts about selling. A lot of his strategies for making the club self-sufficient are closer to fruition than they have ever been - stadium rights, a pipeline of players that can provide transfer revenue and even the possibility of further development at the COE.

With crowds on the up again and the positivity around the 10/Paramount deal, I can see him being tempted to hang in there a bit longer.
Yeah but why the issue with Staj, that’s the number 1 question for me. I think what people are saying makes sense and could be close to the mark however I still feel staying with Staj for next season would have been a priority so why did it all fall over. This is the problem with the lack of detail.

Forum Phoenix

MC now has his much-touted independent A-League, possibly stadium management rights and the new (and much better) broadcast deal, so it is time for him to do what he previously said he would do and meaningfully invest in the club.

If he fails to do so, we will know for sure that he is just a bs merchant. None of us would expect him to bankrupt himself but all of the triggers he publicly said were required to encourage him to put more money in have effectively been met, so it’s now time to p*ss in the pot or get off of it.
If that was going to happen, I really don’t think we’ll see it happen now - given he officially stated he was getting off the pot.

He’s just paying someone to mop the floor and scrub the bowl til someone else is willing to take over the loo. Really can’t see him upgrading the porcelain or putting gold taps in, in the interim.

...not sure how I feel about using a toilet analogy for our club. But there it is,

Forum Phoenix

Yeah but why the issue with Staj, that’s the number 1 question for me. I think what people are saying makes sense and could be close to the mark however I still feel staying with Staj for next season would have been a priority so why did it all fall over. This is the problem with the lack of detail.

To be honest, I think the decision is pretty clearly Alen being strategic with his career and he’s actually told us as such.

He has little to gain by doing another season with us but much to lose. He’d have stayed if we were giving him more resources to tip the odds of being successful again more in his favour - but otherwise he’d rather ride his success to somewhere better resourced and better paid.,

As a human, completely understand it. As a fan... different story

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred