• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Mariners sign Ahmad Elrich

Ted

Revilo said:
I would rather we spent the money on youth facilities and ensure we have quality players coming through the system!

A marquee player consumes to much money for only a small gain on the pitch, and there are also income inequalities within the team that would arise.

I think it depends on the player in question. A well known and proven international would bring major international interest and support, thus generating a decent financial gain for the club.

midfielder

striker #9 said:
kevrenor said:
Not a fan of Ahmad .... hopefully he will prove me quite wrong!

Not the sharpest tool in the shed either -

Hey Midfielder....... Didn't your Mrs teach Ahmad at Blacktown TAFE? . go on give us the gossip...just how dumb is he?

Actually it was Granville TAFE, and it was the week he signed for Parrmatta Power. Power sent him down to the TAFE to enrol in a course as part of his contract I think he was only about 17 at the time. He enrolled in a management course......... but the wife says he was a very good and honest student who was polite and well behaved with all his teachers and fellow students.
May have had something to do with his contract at the time, but again the wife says he was always on time and TBH she has followed his career ever since and claims if she had not enrolled him as Power send him down after the cut off date, Power would have cut him and it was back to park football.

Did he pass not sure the wife left Granville half way through the semester to a new TAFE.

midfielder

graaant said:
Should be announced tomorrow. 1 Northern Spirit player, can't see many choices there except for MacAllister, one of the keepers or a replacement for Viddy (Milligan - though he seems to be off to France)

Bless my soul what wrong with me the keeper at NS, ..........Hendo ..........so many times he saved our arse. I can still here the call HENDOOOOOOOOO........HENDOOOOOOO,

Graaant you have taken me back a long time with the NS reference, maybe it is Hendo to replace Danny if so a good choice.

fedelta

Would Macallister work well with Petrovski? I haven't seen him play..
Ohh Hendo.. where is he playing at the moment?

midfielder

Just on A E, I am kinda with Kevenor on this one, he does bring some history, and the Nix are glad to see the back of him.

Time will tell and LM was his assistance coach at power so assume there are reasons for the last two years.

graaant

midfielder said:
graaant said:
Should be announced tomorrow. 1 Northern Spirit player, can't see many choices there except for MacAllister, one of the keepers or a replacement for Viddy (Milligan - though he seems to be off to France)

Bless my soul what wrong with me the keeper at NS, ..........Hendo ..........so many times he saved our arse. I can still here the call HENDOOOOOOOOO........HENDOOOOOOO,

Graaant you have taken me back a long time with the NS reference, maybe it is Hendo to replace Danny if so a good choice.

Yeah, I'd be interested on seeing what Hendo's form has been like over the last few years.
Potentially a great fill for Danny if the signing is not MacAllister.

bathurstmariner

From foxsports.com.au

Mariners sign winger Elrich

By Liam FitzGibbon

March 10, 2008

FORMER Socceroos winger Ahmad Elrich has joined A-League runners-up Central Coast adamant a move back across the Tasman would help revive his international career.

Elrich, 26, was unveiled by the Mariners in Sydney, joining the club on a two-year deal after he was released by A-League rivals Wellington Phoenix.

It's the second signing for the Mariners following the arrival of Melbourne Victory winger Adrian Caceres as they look to offset the departure of stars John Aloisi (to Sydney FC), Tom Pondeljak (Melbourne) and Tony Vidmar (retirement).

Capped 17 times for Australia, Elrich made 13 appearances for the Phoenix after joining as their marquee player midway through last season.

He has not played for the Socceroos since September 2006, when he suffered a season-ending knee injury in an Asian Cup qualifier against Kuwait.

But the former Fulham player said linking up with the Mariners and their coach Lawrie McKinna was just what he needed to get back into the mix for Australia's 2010 World Cup qualification campaign.

''(Australian selection) is a massive motivation and I know that Lawrie can get me back up there, back up where I need to be,'' said Elrich, who knocked back offers from A-League champions Newcastle and Adelaide.

With the team we have and the quality we have and especially having a full pre-season for the first time, I think it helps me massively.

A lot of the Australian-based players were getting picked (for the national team) so maybe it helps being back in Australia.''

Elrich has scored five international goals including a memorable match-winner against Iraq in Sydney in March 2005, having debuted in February 2004 against Venezuela.

He had also been keen to move back to Australia to be closer to his family.

I think as a footballer you have to be comfortable and I just wasn't comfortable there (Wellington),'' Elrich said.

My family was so far away ... and I always knew I wanted to comeback to NSW to play somewhere closer to home.''

Mariners chief executive Lyall Gorman said Elrich's arrival would help cover the loss of the big names and he would not be the last signing.

John's (Aloisi) moved on, we've got to live with that,'' Gorman said.

We've had a strategic plan and this won't be the end of that, this is the beginning of that."

We've got a couple more things to achieve in the next couple of weeks that will take us to another level again as far as our on-field presence is concerned for this year.''

Gorman said the club had been following Elrich for several years and were close to signing him before he joined the Phoenix.

Our signing of Ahmad is another clear showing of our intent for season four,'' he said.

I especially love what was said by Ahmad and Lyall:

''(Australian selection) is a massive motivation and I know that Lawrie can get me back up there, back up where I need to be,'' said Elrich, who knocked back offers from A-League champions Newcastle and Adelaide.

With the team we have and the quality we have and especially having a full pre-season for the first time, I think it helps me massively.

We've had a strategic plan and this won't be the end of that, this is the beginning of that."

We've got a couple more things to achieve in the next couple of weeks that will take us to another level again as far as our on-field presence is concerned for this year.''

Our signing of Ahmad is another clear showing of our intent for season four,'' he said.

It's time like these that make me even prouder to support such a wonderful club.

marinersman

I'm pretty excited about us signing him. I think he's a quality player in this league.

Obviously, he wan't at his best with the sheep shaggers, but so what. Many a player has had an ordinary season for whatever reason.

I think with a full pre-season under his belt, he will come out flying and is a great replacement for Tommy down the right. I think he's a very good addition to our squad and I expect he will contribute enormously.

He's got pace, good control, can cross a ball from the flanks and can score goals.

I'm very confident Lawrie will get the best out of him.

Next season's squad is starting to shape up very nicely.

Wouldn't mind seeing Skoko running around in yellow next season either. Now that would be one hell of a midfield.

a.v

Skoko would be nice.....he can score a goal from midfield also....he scored a cracker against the Greeks in Melbourne. ;D

Nice to see that we have the wings sorted out....with a bit of pace.

Ahmad was obviously lacking a pre-season and had an injury when he joined the nix.....he is still young enough to create something...

Bring it on..

grecquemariner

I gotta say i also agree with Kev... I thought we were looking for players a step above the rest for next season. I would not think he had anything on tommy or even gumpy for that matter. And whats with the two year singing??? don't we usually trial for one first? Oh well im sure lawrie has his reasons i just hope we didn't squander another opportunity with this one.   

bikinigirl

grecquemariner said:
And whats with the two year singing??? 

. are the mariners providing vocal support for the bay now? ;) sorry couldn't help myself

. but they would be better off with the opera in disguise guys from the medal dinner :thumbup:

S

striker

midfielder said:
graaant said:

Hendo get my vote..... bring him on!    :thumbup:

bulldogmariner

What about Dean Bouzanis the young keeper at Liverpool might be an option to bring back on loan. Henderson is playing first team football at Leicester so dont see him coming back. Or maybe we introduce a guest goal kepper who is on the verge of retiring like Edwin van der Sar or Kalac that can fill in until Danny returns

skilbeck

Kalac is still in at Milan I think. Though he could be good for the A League, though I dunno if he has many fans

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred