• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM v $ity - Rd 6

AuzDutchy

Can someone explain the socceroos cap Olly gave Simmo pre game... Is my memory escaping me? When did matty play for the Socceroos? Or was it just a ollys cap?
I know he played a couple U23 games back in the day.
He played for 2 caps back in 09 i think, when we had an A-League based team only, i think it was Asian Cup qualifier

ccmmic

Can someone explain the socceroos cap Olly gave Simmo pre game... Is my memory escaping me? When did matty play for the Socceroos? Or was it just a ollys cap?
I know he played a couple U23 games back in the day.
From wikipedia:

In May 2008, following strong form for the Olyroos, Simon was called up by Pim Verbeek to the Australian senior side for the first time for a 2010 World Cup qualifier against Iraq.[15] He eventually made his Socceroos debut in January 2009 in a 2011 Asian Cup qualifieragainst Indonesia in Jakarta, in an Australian team of primarily A-League players. The game finished as a scoreless draw, although Simon did have a goal ruled out for offside.[16] He made a second appearance for Australia in the same competition five weeks later against Kuwait. In what was Simon's first and only start for the side, the Socceroos lost 1–0 in Canberra.

onto it

Stens didn’t play safe and lost the ball for the 2 city goals.

However he did do the 2 key moments that paved the way for our 2 goals.

If he doesn’t give up possession to the other team in those two difficult moments the city goals would not have existed and could have been a clean sheet.
That’s why Nizzy and Olli are so important for communication next to Stens.

For me we stick with Stens, Olli, Nizzy, DDS when fit and have Jonota in front of Olli & Niz for the link between mid and front.

Jonota, Urena, Simon & Kuol will rotate & sub.

Smylie and Boumann we will start to see less of depending on quick turn arounds.
I think you need to look at the game properly and count the number of intercepts and turnover tackles Stenz does. Then have a look at the attacks he initiates after coming out of heavy traffic. I think every goal was a result of his intercept or pass.
I'm always amazed at how some punters see only a couple of issues in a whole game. Every single player on that pitch makes a mistake or two at some time. Many make a whole lot more than that. It's the overall contribution that is important.
The Fox punters made the comment that Stenz and DDs were the most creative players in the team. I agree but would add Janota and to some degree Olli to that as well. Creative players take risks and the definition of a risk is that some don't come off. Stenz for me is a player that makes up for the failed risks by a factor of ten, as does DDS in his new found form.

sydmariner

He played for 2 caps back in 09 i think, when we had an A-League based team only, i think it was Asian Cup qualifier

turbo

Creative players take risks and the definition of a risk is that some don't come off. Stenz for me is a player that makes up for the failed risks by a factor of ten, as does DDS in his new found form.
It’s the curse of being deeper on the pitch, further back you are the more your mistake is likely to be punished. If a forward turns it over there’s chances to stop the counter, if Stensness turns it over, especially without Bozanic there, the opposition is through to our backline at speed. Having Bozanic there makes Stensness better because he can take a chance without being crucified if it goes wrong,
Same reason Clisby’s game going forward could be spot on but we will stick on the one time he gets turned or misses a tackle.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Janota in the central role for a similar reason - he is the kind of player that will draw soft fouls all game but if he doesn’t get given one he’s lost the ball in a dangerous spot. You can do that in the front third, not so much in the middle of the pitch under pressure.

finally retired

It’s the curse of being deeper on the pitch, further back you are the more your mistake is likely to be punished. If a forward turns it over there’s chances to stop the counter, if Stensness turns it over, especially without Bozanic there, the opposition is through to our backline at speed. Having Bozanic there makes Stensness better because he can take a chance without being crucified if it goes wrong,
Same reason Clisby’s game going forward could be spot on but we will stick on the one time he gets turned or misses a tackle.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Janota in the central role for a similar reason - he is the kind of player that will draw soft fouls all game but if he doesn’t get given one he’s lost the ball in a dangerous spot. You can do that in the front third, not so much in the middle of the pitch under pressure.
I agree with most of what you said here Turbo....except for the bold statement.

I admit I'm not a fan of Clisby and probably look at him through dark glasses.....but he gets turned a LOT more thane once and misses a LOT more than one tackle per game. As others have said, his delivery in the final third is often overhit too.
BUT...despite all that, I do think the City game was his best so far this season....... so I have hope :vhappy:

Ads

We scrutinise our own quite heavily.

If we look objectively but Jamison or an equal and opposite player gets turned or passed a few times a game and does a few over hit crosses.
Don’t get started on Barbarouses haha.

Every Mariners player is performing statistically similar or better to their opposite but with a little more energy and heart which is why we are up there!

And for approx half the cost of our opponents.

Wombat

I'm glad clisby found form second half, but he jockeys players, its what happened in the lead up to the first goal, jockeying works 1 on 1 to hold players for defenders to get back, he shouldn't have done it when they drove for the box and he had 5 mariners behind him, but I feel he and the coaches are trying to correct it, and given time he just might.

You are taught to jockey now, they dont want you to jump in and win the ball. Noone is quality and tbf Rowles was more guilty than Clisby and on the 2nd goal, Stens, Rowles, and Tonyik were also ALL at fault.

Wombat

Now to ruin the love fest. Nizzy aint a starting 11 player. He will be a sub and he has been good No Doubt.
It’s Olli Stens DDS Jonata as my preferred 4 mids
No reason Nizzy couldn't poach the starting spot from Stens. Better is some regards and Stens is superior in others. Its actually something i would test out at training.

Wombat

Also, Stens' pass to kick off the Simon pen move is a legit perfect pass.

Was a lovely ball. Stens is proving to be a great player its only his brain farts with 10 yrd passes that make the crowd groan. He was copping a bit of flack from the fans in this game.

scottmac

Suspended
nah. For me give Urena 2 more games and he will start to dominate. Then you pick between, Kuol, Simon and Bouman to play off him.
I think Staj is managing the game time between the forwards superbly. everyone is getting time and getting the chance to gel with the rest of the team. there's not one forward that hasn't had serious game time and if injuries come I'm not concerned with any replacement.

onto it

Now to ruin the love fest. Nizzy aint a starting 11 player. He will be a sub and he has been good No Doubt.
It’s Olli Stens DDS Jonata as my preferred 4 mids
No question at all. With those four you get defensive steel as well as creativity. This could gel to be the best midfield in the league.
And finally, finally some finishing is going down at the pointy end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami