• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Fans and the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottmac

Suspended
Alot of the 7000 members are 3 game season posers.
My son hasnt been once this season (full membership) but his thankfully his membership has been in constant use with friends and staff!
The young kids simply havent engaged because we are shit and not worth the effort. The Mariners used to be a cool start to the evening but losers are too be avoided in the eyes of the young.

Posers? Ill take that as your unique 'wombatness' and not an insult.

. I don't necessarily think that a marquee is what is needed/useful or necessarily what people are asking for

. the real question is ... and I have been asking this for years now ... at what point does 'saving money' become a false economy ... whereby you actually lose more than you think you are saving

. I thought the intention was to spend the cap this year regardless of the TV deal so to hear otherwise is disappointing but also illustrative. imagine where we would be now if the front third had delivered another 10 goals? could we have achieved this by spending the cap (investing more in the front third)?

Totally agree with this. The spend to increase the skill level of the front third would be anywhere between 300K to 600K. This would give us the ability to sign players that would have us in the top 4 right now.
If we'd have had those players this year whose to say our crowds wouldn't be like Newcastle are bringing in now. An extra 4 - 6K people through the door would almost make that spend irrelevant and may even make it a move that earns you money. Newcastle are playing shit football but winning. That's bringing in crowds. We're playing great football but losing. At some stage Mike must throw at the very least the full cap in for this team. Okon has shown that his play deserves that.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Weirdly, I find that I feel better knowing we're spending buggar all.
I've posted on here a few times trying to understand how we can have a team that is falling well short, that feels like a cheap team, when 'spending the cap'. Knowing we're not spending the money actually means there's some explanation as to why we simply don't have the players that we need.
Don't get me wrong, it's still frustrating having the low spend and it still gives me cause for concern - is this just going to be our lot? That we keep making up the numbers and not spending as much as we need to?
In the early season we were able to get away with a low budget team and the occasional marquee (and you have to admit, we've had some incredible marquees). But now the bigger budget teams are establishing the impact of wealth off the field. Clubs like Sydney, as per the recent article, are showing the benefits of having highly paid training and support staff, facilities, being able to pump a lot of money into scouts, into building and maintaining overseas connections - basically, into not only finding the right players at the right place but to ensure they're performing at their peak.
We obviously can't really compete with that - and the competition is probably reaching a point where if we keep trying to do what we did before and spent little money on the field, that we're going to keep getting found out.

Ozhammer

Totally agree with this. The spend to increase the skill level of the front third would be anywhere between 300K to 600K. This would give us the ability to sign players that would have us in the top 4 right now.
If we'd have had those players this year whose to say our crowds wouldn't be like Newcastle are bringing in now. An extra 4 - 6K people through the door would almost make that spend irrelevant and may even make it a move that earns you money. Newcastle are playing shit football but winning. That's bringing in crowds. We're playing great football but losing. At some stage Mike must throw at the very least the full cap in for this team. Okon has shown that his play deserves that.
Not sure I agree with the statement about the relative playing styles between us and the Jest, as we still have gaping holes in how we are set up and as much as it pains me to vouch for the Scum, their position on the table is not a fluke.

Other than the above, I am in agreement with the rest of the post and as has been said elsewhere, some of MC’s cost cutting initiatives with the playing squad have more than likely had a negative impact on our bottom line, I just wish there was a way for Shaun to demonstrate the fallacy of this to MC.

The Club should be spending the cap and as fans, surely we have a right to expect that to be the minimum put into the team, with or without any expectation of additional funds being made available. My belief is that some of the cap money gets diverted to non-squad stuff, which further impacts on the team’s ability to be competitive.

On the issue of memberships and without wishing to be seen to stab Dan in the back, surely it is the number of season ticket holders that is the most reliable indicator of how a club is travelling? All these quasi-memberships are just window dressing in my opinion and only mean so much in representing where the Mariners are at. My understanding is that season memberships are around 40% of the 7k number being shouted about.

As much as the issues with our ladder position, lack of goals/depth/quality should concern us at a club level, we will probably face those challenges for the foreseeable future and I am personally more concerned about the general governance and apparent lack of vision for the A League at FFA level, as this seems to have plateaued off dramatically. Robbie Slater pretty much nailed it with his rant on Fox the other night and I can only imagine what someone like Mick Cockerill would be making of the current situation from up there.

VicMariner

Not sure I agree with the statement about the relative playing styles between us and the Jest, as we still have gaping holes in how we are set up and as much as it pains me to vouch for the Scum, their position on the table is not a fluke.

Other than the above, I am in agreement with the rest of the post and as has been said elsewhere, some of MC’s cost cutting initiatives with the playing squad have more than likely had a negative impact on our bottom line, I just wish there was a way for Shaun to demonstrate the fallacy of this to MC.

The Club should be spending the cap and as fans, surely we have a right to expect that to be the minimum put into the team, with or without any expectation of additional funds being made available. My belief is that some of the cap money gets diverted to non-squad stuff, which further impacts on the team’s ability to be competitive.

On the issue of memberships and without wishing to be seen to stab Dan in the back, surely it is the number of season ticket holders that is the most reliable indicator of how a club is travelling? All these quasi-memberships are just window dressing in my opinion and only mean so much in representing where the Mariners are at. My understanding is that season memberships are around 40% of the 7k number being shouted about.

As much as the issues with our ladder position, lack of goals/depth/quality should concern us at a club level, we will probably face those challenges for the foreseeable future and I am personally more concerned about the general governance and apparent lack of vision for the A League at FFA level, as this seems to have plateaued off dramatically. Robbie Slater pretty much nailed it with his rant on Fox the other night and I can only imagine what someone like Mick Cockerill would be making of the current situation from up there.

The membership type mix is a constant season by season. There is always going to be a mix of full season, 3 game, non ticketed etc. Be happy that 7000 people, more than ever before, wanted in some way to be part of CCM. IMO it is not window dressing. People see something worth getting behind.
Where we are let down is MC spending the salary floor season after season. Where is this guys ambition or pride? Is he happy just making up the numbers? Why is he even bothering? Be in it to win it or f**k right off. Show some ambition FFS!

Big Al

Mierzejewski $450,000. Absolute gun would have people flowing through and we’d be scoring through him or set up.

10 home games used for simplicity injury what ever lazy. You get the point.

450,000/10 $45,000 per home game
$45,000/$30 ticket to pay for him
=1,500 people per home game to pay for him

Sounds easy right?

But who heard of him prior? No one.

Shaun said on the podcasts our business is at high risk if the spend was higher (may already be there)

So if the club spent that and he was a flop then club would go broke. Now people would go watch him but that risk is to huge for our business model.

Luis Garcia a far more well known name did little to the gate takings.

We just have to respect the job Shaun and Paulo do with the resources.

Paulo has hit winners with the dutch boys and they are here for 2 years

His fails J Rose and Asdrubal have been 1 yr gambles. So even Paulo knew not to put the house on them. Rose probably more out of desperation as there just aren’t many LB’s out there to begin with and Asdrubal has no service and an injury.

Wombat

Mierzejewski $450,000. Absolute gun would have people flowing through and we’d be scoring through him or set up.

Sounds easy right?

But who heard of him prior? No one.

Shaun said on the podcasts our business is at high risk if the spend was higher (may already be there)

So if the club spent that and he was a flop then club would go broke. Now people would go watch him but that risk is to huge for our business model.

We just have to respect the job Shaun and Paulo do with the resources.

Paulo has hit winners with the dutch boys and they are here for 2 years

His fails J Rose and Asdrubal have been 1 yr gambles. So even Paulo knew not to put the house on them. Rose probably more out of desperation as there just aren’t many LB’s out there to begin with and Asdrubal has no service and an injury.

The Asdrubal no service is on Paulo.

bikinigirl

. which is why people have been talking about success rather than marquees

. IMHO, unless substantially funded from other sources marquees typically won't work in our market but ... success is universal

. I absolutely agree that it is a fine line and it is not my decision - just making a distinction

Big Al

. which is why people have been talking about success rather than marquees

. IMHO, unless substantially funded from other sources marquees typically won't work in our market but ... success is universal

. I absolutely agree that it is a fine line and it is not my decision - just making a distinction
Yes agree about success over marquee but
Our clubs recent performances mean that spend is dangerous.

The success takes half a season to build. The Jets are getting the crowds now but they were a better team and better to watch in the first 9 rounds. It’s taken there supporters a little while to catch on and go oh maybe that’s not a fluke. So they are getting there rewards now.

We just don’t have the money to get those players and had we done so and got it wrong we’d be broke.

My personal feelings are Mike has had enough of lossing money. Fair enough I don’t throw away money either. He wants more from FFA (shit fight we know) and has tightened the wallet as far as possible.
People say sell but I think Mike wants alot of money to sell to recoup his investment. That is probably unrealistic but maybe he sees something that can change that in the future. Sometimes people are stubborn and won’t cut there losses when they should. Also is there really anyone interested in buying our team and our market?

bikinigirl

My personal feelings are Mike has had enough of losing money. Fair enough I don’t throw away money either.

. I don't want to labour the point too much, because I agree with the sentiment ... but I think the problem is the fans seem to have hit that point too of not throwing money away and are 'investing' less as a consequence

. one thing to remember is how much collectively the fans are throwing towards supporting the club. individually* we can't compete with Charlesworth's means but we shouldn't forget that we are collectively contributing a lot of money towards our Club too (and based on disposable income many are probably contributing more in relative terms)

* apologies for speaking for the masses, but I think it's a reasonable assumption

Big Al

. I don't want to labour the point too much, because I agree with the sentiment ... but I think the problem is the fans seem to have hit that point too of not throwing money away and are 'investing' less as a consequence

. one thing to remember is how much collectively the fans are throwing towards supporting the club. individually* we can't compete with Charlesworth's means but we shouldn't forget that we are collectively contributing a lot of money towards our Club too (and based on disposable income many are probably contributing more in relative terms)

* apologies for speaking for the masses, but I think it's a reasonable assumption
Absolutely spot on. Our finances are tight and we are careful with our money and want rewards for our entertainment.

However the fix just doesn’t seem viable in the distant future.

It’s up to Paulo now to find some cheap quality or teach Appiah, Pain and Hoole things they just don’t look capable of.

Also lets see how the end of season cull goes.

I do believe we are only half way through Paulo’s evolution of the team.

Last year we were looking for any reason possible to get rid of McGing and it was his contract that kept him here. Now he is the established RB. Then Ashcroft the opposite we can’t wait to off load

Woollybutt

I’m probably going to get slated for this, but I found the discussion about spending the floor being a false economy interesting, so I did some research.

A study of the economics behind ‘designated player’ signings in America showed that major signings have a limited impact on attendance and merchandise. There is often an initial spike in both associated with the arrival of big names (like Beckham at LA), but their appeal rapidly declines, most likely due to the fact that their appeal suffers from now playing for a lesser club. So Cahill or Kewell may have initially drawn larger crowds everywhere they went (I seem to remember a decent crowd for Kewell’s first game at Gosford on a Wednesday night) and improved home attendances, but they became less of a drawcard because they only play for Melbourne Victory/City. Their impact on playing success was also found to be very limited (though the methodology for this seems tricky), so I think that confirms that marquees aren’t going to work outside of very specific circumstances.

The question of whether investing in the entire squad would be better is trickier, but I can’t find any evidence to suggest that spending more of the cap would provide a return for the club. That is, the improved performance to be expected from the extra investment probably wouldn’t provide an equal return. I’m not sure if anyone is familiar with Paul Tomkins’ writing in England, but he’s shown that the league table in most leagues around the world is closely linked to revenue. There will be outlying seasons, but there’s an incredibly strong correlation between revenue and results at the end of the season. Teams can spend a larger proportion of revenue on their playing squad (EG, Blackburn when they won the league spent something like 70% of their revenue on salaries) in an attempt to improve performance, but improvement isn’t guaranteed and is invariably temporary. At best you get a couple of great seasons followed by a sharp decline, and at worst the club collapses. Closer to home, we won our title by spending beyond our means, then suffered a rapid and humiliating decline and almost lost the club.

In the early years of the A-League the salary cap ensured it was one of the few exceptions to the revenue-results pattern, but the FFA has increasingly watered down the salary cap restrictions to create a soft cap, while clubs have come up with creative new ways to work within the rules. This means that the same pattern that exists in non-salary capped leagues is becoming increasingly clear here. Us and Wellington seem have the lowest revenue, so unless something changes we can expect to finish ninth or tenth most seasons. We could spend a larger percentage of our revenue on the squad, but it wouldn’t guarantee better results, it most likely wouldn’t increase revenue equal to the additional expenditure, and it could put the existence of the club at risk.

So spending within our means doesn’t seem to be a false economy. The only way to improve the squad in a sustainable way is to increase our revenue. So finishing the Centre of Excellence, getting management rights for the stadium to provide a share of food and beverage income, selling more and higher tiers of memberships, and convincing the FFA to give a TV rights grant that covers the entire cap are the best things the club can do, which is exactly what they have been doing. Allowing transfer fees between Australian clubs could potentially help, and the club could potentially try to invest or develop things beyond the COE (like developing apartments in Gosford or something), though I’m not sure that would be particularly popular. For the moment though, we need to make better use of the money available. That could mean resigning guys who aren’t really up to A-League standard like Bingham and Berry, as well as risky prospects like Wales and Kekeris, so that we have a shallower squad with more squad players on minimum wage, allowing us to spend more on first team players. That could mean releasing both Powell and Asdrubal for example, replacing them with one striker on a much higher salary, and accepting having Bingham and Appiah as the back up options. It means we’re screwed if there’s injuries, terrible FFA scheduling, or the new striker underperforms, but it would allow us to improve the quality of the top fourteen or so players. Until our revenue improves, it looks like the only way we can improve performance and results without risking the club’s existence. The other option is what we’re currently doing, which is targeting undervalued players along with a handful of quality signings down the spine.

Big Al

I’m probably going to get slated for this, but I found the discussion about spending the floor being a false economy interesting, so I did some research.

A study of the economics behind ‘designated player’ signings in America showed that major signings have a limited impact on attendance and merchandise. There is often an initial spike in both associated with the arrival of big names (like Beckham at LA), but their appeal rapidly declines, most likely due to the fact that their appeal suffers from now playing for a lesser club. So Cahill or Kewell may have initially drawn larger crowds everywhere they went (I seem to remember a decent crowd for Kewell’s first game at Gosford on a Wednesday night) and improved home attendances, but they became less of a drawcard because they only play for Melbourne Victory/City. Their impact on playing success was also found to be very limited (though the methodology for this seems tricky), so I think that confirms that marquees aren’t going to work outside of very specific circumstances.

The question of whether investing in the entire squad would be better is trickier, but I can’t find any evidence to suggest that spending more of the cap would provide a return for the club. That is, the improved performance to be expected from the extra investment probably wouldn’t provide an equal return. I’m not sure if anyone is familiar with Paul Tomkins’ writing in England, but he’s shown that the league table in most leagues around the world is closely linked to revenue. There will be outlying seasons, but there’s an incredibly strong correlation between revenue and results at the end of the season. Teams can spend a larger proportion of revenue on their playing squad (EG, Blackburn when they won the league spent something like 70% of their revenue on salaries) in an attempt to improve performance, but improvement isn’t guaranteed and is invariably temporary. At best you get a couple of great seasons followed by a sharp decline, and at worst the club collapses. Closer to home, we won our title by spending beyond our means, then suffered a rapid and humiliating decline and almost lost the club.

In the early years of the A-League the salary cap ensured it was one of the few exceptions to the revenue-results pattern, but the FFA has increasingly watered down the salary cap restrictions to create a soft cap, while clubs have come up with creative new ways to work within the rules. This means that the same pattern that exists in non-salary capped leagues is becoming increasingly clear here. Us and Wellington seem have the lowest revenue, so unless something changes we can expect to finish ninth or tenth most seasons. We could spend a larger percentage of our revenue on the squad, but it wouldn’t guarantee better results, it most likely wouldn’t increase revenue equal to the additional expenditure, and it could put the existence of the club at risk.

So spending within our means doesn’t seem to be a false economy. The only way to improve the squad in a sustainable way is to increase our revenue. So finishing the Centre of Excellence, getting management rights for the stadium to provide a share of food and beverage income, selling more and higher tiers of memberships, and convincing the FFA to give a TV rights grant that covers the entire cap are the best things the club can do, which is exactly what they have been doing. Allowing transfer fees between Australian clubs could potentially help, and the club could potentially try to invest or develop things beyond the COE (like developing apartments in Gosford or something), though I’m not sure that would be particularly popular. For the moment though, we need to make better use of the money available. That could mean resigning guys who aren’t really up to A-League standard like Bingham and Berry, as well as risky prospects like Wales and Kekeris, so that we have a shallower squad with more squad players on minimum wage, allowing us to spend more on first team players. That could mean releasing both Powell and Asdrubal for example, replacing them with one striker on a much higher salary, and accepting having Bingham and Appiah as the back up options. It means we’re screwed if there’s injuries, terrible FFA scheduling, or the new striker underperforms, but it would allow us to improve the quality of the top fourteen or so players. Until our revenue improves, it looks like the only way we can improve performance and results without risking the club’s existence. The other option is what we’re currently doing, which is targeting undervalued players along with a handful of quality signings down the spine.
You lost me at research. Just joking

The 10% between the floor and the salary cap would buy us one very handy player.
If that player scored them or set them up I don’t mind.

Forum Phoenix

How much of each ticket sale is actual profits though that can be used and is not just costs? Even if we brought in 1500 purely for him that wouldn't have been there otherwise and we don't associate with all the other game day costs. Even just printing costs and booking fees etc will start to eat into it. (Really miss Dibo at times like this).

Not saying it would be twice as many peeps, but probably need a fair few more people per home game for the maths to add up.

Woollybutt

You lost me at research. Just joking

The 10% between the floor and the salary cap would buy us one very handy player.
If that player scored them or set them up I don’t mind.
I agree that one top striker instead of Asdrubal (possibly even matching Newcastle's offer for Roy) could have made all the difference on the field, but the idea I was interested in was whether stretching the budget to sign that one player would pay for itself through improved performances, results, attendances, etc., so that saving money by not stretching the budget for that one player is a false economy. It looks like stretching the budget for that one player would not pay for itself, which leaves us with Option 1) Improve revenue so we have a larger budget, Option 2) Spend a larger percentage of our revenue on salaries, Option 3) Make better use of the budget, EG by having Bingham and Appiah as alternatives to the striker rather than Powell.

As long suffering, frustrated fans who just want us to pick up some points and play decent football, Option 2 sounds mighty tempting, and I did think that investing a bit more in a more proven striker, or signing an upgrade in January, would pay for itself by driving us up the table. But now I think that the club is focusing on Option 1, whereas I'd like to see us be a bit more creative with Option 3.

Forum Phoenix

No slating here. Great post I think. A lot of things in there I've mused over. So brilliant to see it researched and laid out with such clarity like that.

Though Sydney spend their CAP, they're crediting Sydney as using the above model you mentioned as Clarkey has SFC with the best injury rates they can afford to focus/spend on their first 11 more. Apparently SFC's record was dire until they stole Clarkey away from us. What a loss that's proven to be.

I like the theory of a higher quality 11, combined with a top fitness coach and a few quality utility players like Powell. Our current model is not functioning, though I agree with Big Al in that Okon looks about half way done - so hoping he can shape it a lot more over the next off season after the clean out.

JoyfulPenguin

The thing that I am most frustrated about, after watching a ton of NPL football for the last two years or so, is that in the NPL there are players who are better than Appiah/Pain/Bingham and who would kill for a minimum wage A-League chance. Matthew Millar and Nick Epifano at South Melbourne, Elvis Kambosa at Melbourne Knights, Danny Choi at Blacktown City, Kenny Athiu at Heidelberg (Now at Victory), Davey Van't Schip at Pascoe Vale, Matt Thurtell at Bentleigh Greens, Joey Gibbs at Blacktown City, Luke Gallo at Bulleen Lions. All these players are at the very least A-League level give them a chance instead of the endless backing of players, even with regular game time, aren't.

VicMariner

The thing that I am most frustrated about, after watching a ton of NPL football for the last two years or so, is that in the NPL there are players who are better than Appiah/Pain/Bingham and who would kill for a minimum wage A-League chance. Matthew Millar and Nick Epifano at South Melbourne, Elvis Kambosa at Melbourne Knights, Danny Choi at Blacktown City, Kenny Athiu at Heidelberg (Now at Victory), Davey Van't Schip at Pascoe Vale, Matt Thurtell at Bentleigh Greens, Joey Gibbs at Blacktown City, Luke Gallo at Bulleen Lions. All these players are at the very least A-League level give them a chance instead of the endless backing of players, even with regular game time, aren't.
Agree 100%.
Always makes me scratch my head some of the clowns who appear season after season in the HAL. FFA cup always shows a couple gems.

Big Al

How much of each ticket sale is actual profits though that can be used and is not just costs? Even if we brought in 1500 purely for him that wouldn't have been there otherwise and we don't associate with all the other game day costs. Even just printing costs and booking fees etc will start to eat into it. (Really miss Dibo at times like this).

Not saying it would be twice as many peeps, but probably need a fair few more people per home game for the maths to add up.
Fair call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member