• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Fans and the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGr1m3

The new Central Coast Council elections should be a feisty affair going on the troubles that Belinda Neal (Gosford) & Doug Eaton (Wyong) are in well before the real lobbying starts. As mentioned previously by a few on these threads there must be candidates that we as Mariners Fans can start to approach to push our case for a fair go in relation to building the Mariners as a National entity for marketing our region. And by a fair go I mean start getting behind the Mariners when they start to look at ventures like entry to the Mariners girls team & the upgrading of our fast decaying stadium.
When the name come out on who to vote for lets suss these candidates out and throw some weight behind the ones we can benefit from. Isn't that how these things work?

dibo

I love the passion, but there have been a total of 2k members of this site *ever* and maybe 100 (on the upside) or so posting across any given month. Not all of them live on the Central Coast, or are old enough to vote.

At the last election, there were 173k votes cast between the two councils from a total enrolment of 210k.

Assuming no population growth, the next council will have five wards of about 35k each electing three councillors. To win a seat in any one ward, you need 25% of the vote so you're looking at over 8,500 votes.

But even getting a quarter of people who post on here to vote with the Mariners as their first priority would be a struggle.

There are other issues like the roads you drive on every day, the local services that you use, the development of the area you live in and the environment that surrounds you that will rate higher for many Mariners fans than what happens to a stadium that they go to a dozen times a year.

And that's before you get to partisans like myself who have an ideological commitment to support a particular party.

More likely to be successful would be the club engaging the campaigns of the local major parties and trying to get one on board with the hope that the other follows.

Ultimately I think you'd need more than just one party keen or else it'll never actually happen in council - the other councillors will vote no because they won't be happy about having had it beaten around their heads in the campaign.

Luckily, we have Gabby Bowles on staff at the club who should be able to have that sort of discussion, and she knows a bit about Council!

McGr1m3

So no beating around the head........ that's a shame I am sure that would benefit some.
Lol.......No I was thinking more along the lines of being seen by all candidates as a group of
Mariners voters (Not just the guys posting on here) but potential voters that may help their cause towards being elected.
An occasional letter to the editor on social issues like roads etc., with the tag line Mariners Member would be a subtle reminder..
A banner at our home games or TV games like FFA Cup ( Mariners Supporters Will Be Voting Soon )
A blog on line regarding our hopes for our team & the Stadium.
That's the sort of thing that will turn heads............No need to bash heads.........lol....but I see your point & having Gabbys influence & knowledge is a plus for sure..

pjennings

I love the passion, but there have been a total of 2k members of this site *ever* and maybe 100 (on the upside) or so posting across any given month. Not all of them live on the Central Coast, or are old enough to vote.

At the last election, there were 173k votes cast between the two councils from a total enrolment of 210k.

Assuming no population growth, the next council will have five wards of about 35k each electing three councillors. To win a seat in any one ward, you need 25% of the vote so you're looking at over 8,500 votes.

But even getting a quarter of people who post on here to vote with the Mariners as their first priority would be a struggle.

There are other issues like the roads you drive on every day, the local services that you use, the development of the area you live in and the environment that surrounds you that will rate higher for many Mariners fans than what happens to a stadium that they go to a dozen times a year.

And that's before you get to partisans like myself who have an ideological commitment to support a particular party.

More likely to be successful would be the club engaging the campaigns of the local major parties and trying to get one on board with the hope that the other follows.

Ultimately I think you'd need more than just one party keen or else it'll never actually happen in council - the other councillors will vote no because they won't be happy about having had it beaten around their heads in the campaign.

Luckily, we have Gabby Bowles on staff at the club who should be able to have that sort of discussion, and she knows a bit about Council!

As you said I don't really think the Mariners will be a first order issue. What we need is for the Mariners to be an issue for as many of the candidates as possible (not just the major parties). We need to get to the stage where the default answer when the Mariners talk to the council is "why not" rather than "why". i.e. They don't necessarily all need to be actively for us, but we need the majority to at least passively agree with what we want to do.

As I said in an earlier post I'd like the club to come out and make their case in the context of the council elections, showing how they think they can run the stadium better than the council and then get the politicians of all hues to state where they stand.

If the case is strong enough while still giving appropriate community access then most candidates would find it hard to go on record against it.

McGr1m3

Totally agree, the main thing running up to an election is to first be recognised as a voter with an opinion, a positive opinion even better. Then if that voice or opinion comes from more than one voter conveying the same positive message you start to have recognition. "Maybe I should take notice" of this group of people, utilising male & female voices / opinions all the better.
I for one intend to start looking at where my positive Mariners message may be seen.
But I think having this as an area to first voice that message is definite.
Thus having the ability to be seen as a united voice all conveying the same positive Mariners community message.
In other words we don't have any loose cannon (Pardon the Pun) type articles opinions appearing in the controversy hungry media.

McGr1m3

I am a Mariner and I vote!
Shaun That's exactly where I was coming from.
Anyone out there who can organise a sign that conveys this message?
Imagine a letter to the editor from "Joe Blow" from Umina discussing the state of the roads in that area, (as long as the message is a positive one) the signature at the bottom:
Joe Blow. Umina.
I'm A Mariner And I Vote.
What about some bumper stickers we could hand them out at games?

Capt. Awesome

Hi Shaun, I'd just like to say how happy we all are about how the squad is shaping up this year. With not knowing what our budget for this squad is and whether we are spending more than previous, could you please send on our thanks to Mike Charlsworth. He has received a lot of un warranted flack in the past because of our tight budget. So he should be commended for allowing Paulo have to resources to build this great squad. The whole team should be commended on how the club is currently being run.
Cheers Steve

scottmac

Suspended
New sponsor?

Stadium rights? Management rights?

Marquee?

I'd go for jersey launch. Would be fairly f**king out of this world erect if its a marquee.

Atomic

I agree. Calling the unveiling of the new strip a "major announcement" is over the top in my opinion. If that what it is, then I'm going to be somewhat disappointed.

Strip + new sponsor perhaps?

Big Al

Captain
Okon Extension
Strip

Sunken Monkey viewing for away games?

Spanish and Dutch lessons for fans and players

Last edited:

Capt. Awesome

I think if it were a kit launch they would just tell everyone it's a 'Kit Launch'. So many other things it could be. Most likely not another signing or marquee signing as there is too much time for there to be leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred