• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Fans and the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Hi Shaun,
Thanks for your response.
Its a tough balance for us as fans between accepting the dross that has been served up since Arnie left and understanding the hard realities of business.
Obviously you are aware that Mike's high risk strategies combined with our terrible performances have affected crowds.
Its a catch 22.
Compared to both Sydney clubs our crowds have been amazing considering and much credit goes to you, Dan and your team.

No one likes failure, especially when coming from a team that always overachieved.

Personally, I will always back the Mariners and do far more than I need to, to generate numbers.
Understand that we need to let off steam and "Pikey" started as the hero, rolled into the villian and hopefully will lead us into the light again to once again be the hero.

Regardless, once again i thank you for your passion and leadership.

COYY.

Wombat

Haha.

My wife and I have dinner with a QPR fan (he fully sounds like Del boy) and his wife once a month. The first dinner was not nice as QPR spanked us on the 1st game of the season.
The food started to taste better as the season went on and now its delicious.
Believe it or not i'm actually a Gentleman (only coz he is) so i dont rub it in but he did tell me you are going well under Holloway atm.

bikinigirl

Just to clarify here we have told Capital Football that unless there is a quick and significant revenue offer from ACT government to take an A-League match there then it is impossible for us to consider taking another match there.

However we have been working hard for the last 7 year in helping football grow in the nations capital and we have 120 members there plus a handful of very good sponsors. As such we are considering our options for pre-season trial and community appearances around Kanga cup intended to build a structure around the Capital Draft program to hopefully provide a pathway and talent identification mechanism.

. from a linked article in the herald, an interesting analogy you chose:

"To get things structured moving forward, it will start with conversations around preseason and the Capital Draft and keep peeling back the onions and see what the future looks like."

. surely that can only end in tears :p

pjennings

Hi Shaun

A question and an observation.

Can you update us on any progress with the Council, be that progress in management rights, or simply updates to the stadium like the sound system, the proposed new screens or better internet access?

The level of coverage in the media seems to diminish each year. In the early years the Mariners were included in a weekly liftout in the Tele. That went by the wayside. Our local papers now also seem to be less likely to have more than a paragraph about the Mariners. The local free papers give us more coverage. As for the radio, the Coast-FM team do a good job, but with aggregation we only seem to hear about AFL and NRL of the other Coast stations. Ten years ago we had a better media presence (with probably less work from the Mariners to get it). We now seem to struggle even on stations that are supposed to be partners/sponsors.

Wombat

I'm not sure that is true Pat.
It's important to remember the media loves a winner and what a great story we were......the little club that could.
Now we are a bit of a joke but still the media give us column inches and airtime.
Give them something positive to talk about and they will.

pjennings

I'm not sure that is true Pat.
It's important to remember the media loves a winner and what a great story we were......the little club that could.
Now we are a bit of a joke but still the media give us column inches and airtime.
Give them something positive to talk about and they will.

I don't see it that way. In the first few years, yes we were successful and we got great press. You knew through the paper and the radio what the Mariners were doing, when the games were on and it was something that was always talked about locally.

In Arnie's years we were more successful, but the change in the media had already happened and the level of local coverage to my mind was not as strong as in previous years.

I think it is all about media aggregation. 2GO cover the NRL as part of the MMM coverage. They have late night shows which when they talk sport it is all about AFL. The same thing happens when they go to the traffic and rail. In years gone by 2GO rang Gosford station for an update - now they get the information that is available online which can be hours out of date. The papers are now part of the Murdoch press who after initial support for HAL in the form of the lift-out pulled back when the SMH was preferred in some deal

The only things that make the Express Advocate these days are things that make the Telegraph. Since their focus is the successful teams and in particular SFC and WSW we rarely get an article.

I don't know what the answer is. If the papers don't have reporters with any interest in doing the hard yards on the sport maybe the club needs to provide ready made press releases so that they can just drop it in.

finally retired

.........I don't know what the answer is. If the papers don't have reporters with any interest in doing the hard yards on the sport maybe the club needs to provide ready made press releases so that they can just drop it in.
I think that is exactly what we should be doing.....when I was the Publicity Officer for the Umina surf club and on the School Council many years ago we used to do just that....we wrote the articles and provided the pictures and sent them to local papers (and in some cases to the Sydney papers) and generally managed to get our stories into print. We are already doing a lot of it anyway for the websites so it's not too onerous to provide the same stuff direct to the Express..... it is a great shame though that the local papers don't support the Mariners as they once did......after all we are the ONLY national sporting team here.

Forum Phoenix

I'd be very surprised if the club isn't already continually sending out its own press releases. Shaun?

As to media, and print news for that matter... there is so much disruption I'm not sure where the loss of interests may begin and the effects of the disruption ends.

The increase of signal to noise ratio is huge and everything shifting with the digital marketplace and changing viewing habits of audiences. Even those most in the know dont really know how all the balls in the air are going to land, or if some of them ever will...

I don't envy Sean's job in such a tightly resourced club of getting a lot of cut through.
You can see the effort is going in though imo.

One strategy to boost our online presence would be to bring Reddy back after all and continue to encourage him to play in the outfield. #thatMarinersKeeper would be trending every week and it could blossom into a very lucrative YouTube channel.

Last edited:

finally retired

One strategy to boost our online presence would be to bring Reddy back after all and continue to encourage him to play in the outfield. #thatMarinersKeeper would be trending every week and it could blossom into a very lucrative YouTube channel.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timmah

I don't know what the answer is. If the papers don't have reporters with any interest in doing the hard yards on the sport maybe the club needs to provide ready made press releases so that they can just drop it in.

Club is all over this, it's on the media outlets to pick this stuff up and publish/run with it.

Big Al

Shaun

Can you advise if Paul can spend up to the cap or we will still spend below the cap for the upcoming season? Thanks in advance for your reply.
We've been through this a few times, they don't know what the cap is. Wait till the FFA announce the cap and hopefully the grant

Reactions: adz

midfielder

The lovely Shaun answered this a couple of episodes ago.

Great, given I have away on business for a bit, and busy at work, I appreciate the thoughtfulness of your reply ... maybe you could have provided the answer and said where you got it from, then again its a forum and you had victory in showing what a good fan you are and what a poor fan I am... congrats on your win... well done..

Coast Football Ramble

Great, given I have away on business for a bit, and busy at work, I appreciate the thoughtfulness of your reply ... maybe you could have provided the answer and said where you got it from, then again its a forum and you had victory in showing what a good fan you are and what a poor fan I am... congrats on your win... well done..

The tone of my reply was obviously misread here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred