• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Fans and the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Phoenix

Posco confirmed at that pre-match last night that he came down with glandular fever the week after playing a full match in the 20s. Is still at least a week, more likely 2 weeks away.

Thanks Yoda! Been really wanting to know what had happened to Posc.

priorpeter

Farrrk unlucky for the kid, terrible timing. Feel his pain, that is a prick of an illness that had me pretty messed up up for 10 weeks or so a few years ago.

Wombat

I think Posco will be released in Jan to provide a bit of space for new signings.

Why?
Why not release McDonald or Fletcher who never get a run.
We can already replace Adelson. And Mikey can get us a Marquee.
It doesn't seam logical to cut Posco. I worked through Gladular Fever but I did feel very very tired......but its not a season ending proposition.

Fishsdad

Why?
It doesn't seam logical to cut Posco. I worked through Gladular Fever but I did feel very very tired......but its not a season ending proposition.

Unfortunately it is likely to be a season ending illness given the time it will take to totally recover, then regain 'normal' fitness, followed by match fitness.

But I totally agree with you that he should be retained. He is a very solid defender at a low cost (presumably). I'd love him to be around for us for the '17-18 season.

pjennings

Why?
Why not release McDonald or Fletcher who never get a run.
We can already replace Adelson. And Mikey can get us a Marquee.

Keep Jacob and keep Jake - both will be cheap. Posco will be a relative cheap but effective CB. Jake has the potential to be every bit as good as Trent on the wing and can play RB and central midfield.

McDonald looks like he will not get a shot with Neill and Galloway ahead of him so he will probably be first to go.

Wombat

Keep Jacob and keep Jake - both will be cheap. Posco will be a relative cheap but effective CB. Jake has the potential to be every bit as good as Trent on the wing and can play RB and central midfield.

McDonald looks like he will not get a shot with Neill and Galloway ahead of him so he will probably be first to go.

I saw alot from Jake in 90 mins for me to believe he will be a better RB than Storm Roux. In fact it was the most promising Cameo since i saw Trent's debut.
I dont want to cut him at all but believe we can get an injury replacement for him which wont affect our squad numbers.....sorry if I didnt word it clearly.....still blurry lol.

Last edited:

style_cafe

In all the hysteria of beating the westerners it was totally remiss of me not to congratulate Shaun & his wife for the birth of their baby MAX on Saturday.
I hope all of you are well & that the little fella goes on to play for the Mariners somewhere in the future.
When we eventually get a Hall of Fame I hope we have Shaun up there with other club legends.
Cheers mate.

midfielder

Shaun

You are mentioned in dispatches

from 442 copied from smh... Shaun coming off another poor year may I suggest the club is very open with Coasties on this .. this could really back fire ..

http://forum.insidesport.com.au/250...l-Brown-confirms-Canberra-ALeague-bid-rumours

The Mariners are keen to forge a relationship with Capital Football and the ACT government despite just 10,000 people watching their two A-League games in Canberra this season.

Mariners chief executive Shaun Mielekamp will meet with Brown and Capital Football chairman Mark O'Neill to discuss the club's future in the region.

Capital Football has been working to expand its participation area, with the Riverina Rhinos joining the premier league this year to boost the catchment zone.

Big Al

Shaun

from 442 copied from smh... Shaun coming off another poor year may I suggest the club is very open with Coasties on this .. this could really back fire ..

http://forum.insidesport.com.au/250...l-Brown-confirms-Canberra-ALeague-bid-rumours

The Mariners are keen to forge a relationship with Capital Football and the ACT government despite just 10,000 people watching their two A-League games in Canberra this season.

Mariners chief executive Shaun Mielekamp will meet with Brown and Capital Football chairman Mark O'Neill to discuss the club's future in the region.

Capital Football has been working to expand its participation area, with the Riverina Rhinos joining the premier league this year to boost the catchment zone.
Think the clubs been pretty clear about partnering with capital football at a grass roots level. Almost making them part of our catchment if you like.

An A League team is a dream that will never get up with Gallop anywhere near FFA

Canberra games would absolutely be only viable if Canberra government pony up again but I highly doubt we'd go it alone again. That was a disaster

pjennings

Hi Shaun,

A question has come up regarding the amount of money available for next year's squad. Different people that were at the same events earlier in the year and heard different things. Can you confirm what restrictions Paul will be under when fashioning his squad for next season. Will we again be at the salary floor or will Paul be able to spend to the cap?

Looking forward to your response

Wombat

Shaun...................Pikey said we would spend the full cap next year. He also said we would bring in new players in Jan and even hinted at a guest Marquee.
I also would love to hear what Mikey's plans are for next year and if he ever feels compelled to follow through on his promises?

Can i provide you with a business model for consideration.

Provide your talented manager and Captain with a decent team to mentor.

Ditch the ridiculous whoring out of the club to anyone that shows an interest and concentrate on your core market.

Look at Leeds Utd as a model for next season. After 12 years of hurt in the Championship (and below). The club finally spent some money on a good coach and some decent players. They are now knocking on the door of the EPL and have crowds of 27k each week.

Big Al

I never heard we'd spend the cap, I heard there would be more money available but never heard full cap spend (fan forum)

pjennings

I never heard we'd spend the cap, I heard there would be more money available but never heard full cap spend (fan forum)

That's why I'm asking the question. I was at both events and I heard/interpreted that it was going to be the full cap. Maybe it was just what I wanted to hear. Being a mostly optimistic person I may have been pre-disposed to hear it that way. Others may have been predisposed to hear it another way. Let's get it down in black and white from Shaun so there is no question of how Paul can act.

Shaun Mielekamp

Shaun

Just to clarify here we have told Capital Football that unless there is a quick and significant revenue offer from ACT government to take an A-League match there then it is impossible for us to consider taking another match there.

However we have been working hard for the last 7 year in helping football grow in the nations capital and we have 120 members there plus a handful of very good sponsors. As such we are considering our options for pre-season trial and community appearances around Kanga cup intended to build a structure around the Capital Draft program to hopefully provide a pathway and talent identification mechanism.

Shaun Mielekamp

Shaun...................Pikey said we would spend the full cap next year. He also said we would bring in new players in Jan and even hinted at a guest Marquee.
I also would love to hear what Mikey's plans are for next year and if he ever feels compelled to follow through on his promises?

Can i provide you with a business model for consideration.

Provide your talented manager and Captain with a decent team to mentor.

Ditch the ridiculous whoring out of the club to anyone that shows an interest and concentrate on your core market.

Look at Leeds Utd as a model for next season. After 12 years of hurt in the Championship (and below). The club finally spent some money on a good coach and some decent players. They are now knocking on the door of the EPL and have crowds of 27k each week.

Hi Wombat

Whilst we don't even know what the cap is for next year and don't know what the FFA grant will be it is impossible to know either way if we are spending the cap or not. Mike did confirm that we will be spending more money next year which is great and until we know what our revenue budget is it will be impossible to confirm what the expenditure is. I like all of you hope and am working hard that we are spending the cap next season and for us to be able to do this we need to run a solid profit and loss result.
We simply won't know this until maybe another 4-6 weeks when the free to air deal is done and we can complete our budgets.

For me Mike has seen through his promises in my time in the role so whilst I appreciate how easy it is for members to bag out "Pikey" as you say I also believe that you are incorrectly putting words or promises into his mouth. Yes he did want us to spend in January and also gave us some budget to do so. Unfortunately the right player did not fall and Paolo said at the forum quote "We will not waste money recruiting someone just for the sake of it - they must be the right person for the club". So whilst Mike wanted us to and indicated publicly that we were likely to bring in a player I never heard Mike ever promise to bring in a player in January and at the forum there was only 2-3 days until the window closed so whilst we had hoped to bring in a player for reasons that are not financial but medical we could not. This has nothing to do with Mike not seeing through his promises.

Thanks for your business model and of course as a Coastie myself I am just as passionate as anyone in making sure the core market is capitalised upon. Drawing comparisons to Leeds who have double the population of the entire Central Coast in their CBD region where football hasbeen for centuries however is not comparing apples for apples. We have the highest density of members per population in the A-league and also the highest crowd average per head capita. Unfortunately that is little solace when we are 2nd lowest in crowd averages and total members so we have to think outside the box here and find new ways to generate revenue.

We know the business model for the club has a lot of work to do and we have a long way to go when just trying to keep pace is hard as the competition rapidly improves every year. But we will keep trying until we get it right and I firmly believe we are well on track now with solid foundations to deliver better results on and off the field.

I hope this helps clarify a couple of things.

When I arrived at the club the goal was purely survival, paying the bills and repaying the debts was all that mattered to be honest otherwise there would be no club left.

Then the focus shifted to sustainability, creating a business model that ensured we did not fall back into the traps of the past and know that we could ensure the club would be is a position to move forward. If you havent been to our new offices and Centre of Excellence I highly recommend you do so as it speaks louder than any words I can say on here would.

Now we are talking about progress, potentially spending the cap and getting marquee players are spoken about as options rather than fiction. I know the journey is a slow one but nonetheless it is a very important one because it is the only way we can ensure we for-fill our potential without risking everything again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred