• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Bay16 and Behaviour Towards Women

djebella

I am doing this post as I hope that this may lead some people in bay 16 and in the Marinators to have a think about their behaviour at games, in particular, behaviour and attitudes towards women. I was under the impression that the bay welcomed all wearing yellow and all who are prepared to chant. Many times on the forum it has been said that if you see something inappropriate then you should speak up. Well there was and we did.

There was an incident regarding some guys doing a chant about f** wives up the a*se. My issues with last night are twofold - the chant itself and what happens when someone speaks up against an offensive chant.

When the chant started, rather than sit by in silence, my wife said something to the guys, as she was offended and she thought it was an inappropriate chant. This was met with a fair degree of anger, she was told "this is australia and we can say these things" (whatever that means?!?) and she was also told that she had no right to say anything as she is "new" to the bay and that this chant has been used for 3 years. I'm assuming that going to all games v2 and standing in the bay for all of this season spending over $2K traveling to away games, when asked for help by Marinators we put our hands up, constitutes as being a  "newcomer". I thought that we were trying to encourage new fans to the bay anyway or is it  that the Marinators wish too encourage only yellow wearing, misogynist men?!?! Seriously this is not good enough and  well .. frankly.. its bogan behaviour!  Maybe the "Bogan free zone" banner is a bit hypocritical in the bay.

I did react to the guy in question and in some peoples eyes I may have overreacted, but I have a lot of respect for women who are in bay 16 and who are actively involved in supporting our team and football in general, and I couldn't stand by and watch my wife be berated in the manner that she was. I think it was disgusting and completely outrageous behaviour that someone can speak up and have shit put upon them like that. If this kind of attitude and behaviour is widely accepted in the bay then no one will speak up and I am sorry to say that the marinators will become squadron v2.

So regarding the chant, I guess some would say that football has always had these kind of chants. I am fully aware of the past as I was part of the Rowdies for Breakers games but hey, the NSL days are over!  I thought that the A-League heralded a new start, a deferral from the past and an opportunity for football to be appreciated and loved by a wider audience. Seriously if I wanted to hear that kind of shit I should start going to the rugby league.  If we believed that old chants are still okay to be used then would you be happy yelling out nigger chants to Bruce Djite or Jonas Salley when we play Adelaide because that's the way it was done back in the 1950's???    Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about making all of our chants sunday school sing-a-longs, I'm just saying that some common sense judgment needs to be used.

Just take a look around at the number of women and children in the crowd. My hope is that when the women's a-league starts next year that these players are not treated with such disrespect and contempt. I think its high-time that some people get with the times and think about their behaviour and ask themselves how they would feel if it was their wife/girlfriend/sister/mother in the bay I guess its a question of how many and what kind of supporters you want in bay 16.

I am and always will be a devoted and loyal mariners fan but I very much doubt that I will return to the bay unless this attitude changes.

radar

People are idiots, it must be said. If a person can't look around them and determine the right things to say out loud in "mixed company", then maybe they shouldn't be allowed out at all.

Bear

Ill be the 1st to jump to the "persons" defence here.

The song is question had nothing to do with anyones ass. It was to do with Ian Fyfe, and his wife, but there was no ass. Similar songs have been sung for the last 3 years (Pierre Littbarski's daughter anyone?)

As I say EVERY TIME this same old topic comes up, people have been swearing for 1,000's of years  :eek: unbelievable, I know. People have also been swearing at football games for 100's of years  :eek: even more unbelievable.

What makes you think that this is going to change..... ever? Jumping over chairs to try and smack the bloke that had a go wont, thats for sure.

In short, people will swear if they want to. End of line. Nothing will EVER change that.

Bear

djebella said:
I think its high-time that some people get with the times and think about their behaviour and ask themselves how they would feel if it was their wife/girlfriend/sister/mother in the bay I guess its a question of how many and what kind of supporters you want in bay 16.

Oh, and my mother wont sit in the bay, as she understands 100+ people and alcohol mixed sometimes leads to swearing and things being said that wont keep everyone happy. Thats her choice.

Auburn Mariner

I witnessed the incident that has been detailed by djebella from a distance of approximately 1.5 metres.

Yes, the chant was as has been indicated. Quite of few of us chose not to participate in the chant, as is our right.

We have worked VERY hard to make the Bay open to all, but we (and I mean the more Senior amongst us) are NOT fun police. The altercation that happened afterwards was not pleasant, and I wished it didn't happen. I am glad it did not escalate any further.

Djebella, I hope that in time you reconsider and rejoin us. We need committed fans like you and Mrs djebella.

Auburn Mariner

To be fair and honest, my son Zachary's Mum has made it quite clear that she does not want a 9 year-old boy in Home End cauldron in future. I have accepted and respected her wishes, and I will attend games with Zachary and my dear wife Merry in another area (but close enough so that I can join in just a bit!!!).

The Home End is not for all, and I believe it is a LOT cleaner than it once was.

Hagar the Horrible

djebella said:
I am and always will be a devoted and loyal mariners fan but I very much doubt that I will return to the bay unless this attitude changes.
Anybody who physically attacks a fellow Mariners supporter in Bay 16 shouldn't be welcome back.

radar

valentius borealis said:
djebella said:
Anybody who physically attacks a fellow Mariners supporter in Bay 16 shouldn't be welcome back.

how about verballing a female supporter..? That's the worst kind of incitement to violence I can think of.

nomes

I can agree in some way with the chants and such, but at the end of the day boys will be boys, and its a football match? We can't really take that from them. I used to sit in bay 16 and have decided not too for certain reasons, but where i do sit the crowd still revs up just as good. While i think it's sad that unfortunately your wife has taken offence to one of the chants, i in no means KNOW that the boys would not direct it to anyone in the bay, their not like that...well the majority aren't. I hope you guys stay mariners fans cause we need you to, but if you take offence to what the boys/girls sing in bay 16 maybe consider moving over a bay or two, atmosphere is still good.

M

mariners_4_ever

Simple answer is theres other spots in the staduim with general admission seats!
We don't sit with the Marinators and i can tell you they aren't the only ones "sticking it up" the opposition. My wife says that if your wife doesn't like it find somewhere else. To be in the "thick" of the supports you have to be very broadminded and let a lot slide. Alcohol and Adrenalin will always produce some unruly behavour by a small minority. But overall all supports are well behaved and enjoy the atmosphere created by all the chanting.

B

bakery5

Bearinator said:
Ill be the 1st to jump to the "persons" defence here.

The song is question had nothing to do with anyones ass. It was to do with Ian Fyfe, and his wife, but there was no ass. Similar songs have been sung for the last 3 years (Pierre Littbarski's daughter anyone?)

As I say EVERY TIME this same old topic comes up, people have been swearing for 1,000's of years  :eek: unbelievable, I know. People have also been swearing at football games for 100's of years  :eek: even more unbelievable.

What makes you think that this is going to change..... ever? Jumping over chairs to try and smack the bloke that had a go wont, thats for sure.

In short, people will swear if they want to. End of line. Nothing will EVER change that.

Pierre Littbarski's daughter was a hottie.

kevrenor

Standing in Bay 16 for the first time in a few months I did notice a few chants that went beyond where the line seemed to have been back then. I put it down to having a crowd of 17K not 7K. 

I had to, in fact, rein in my daughter at one stage for her language.

I was not near that incident so can't comment specifically.  I too would probably want to clock the guys if my wife or daughters were verbally abused in our crowd so you aren't alone on that Djibella.

I didn't like the 'Matthew Breeze you're wife was shit' and didn't join in (especially as I have met the lovely lady) however I understand the ref baiting chant that it is (and boy I wanted to bait him last night!).

What did shock me to my core was the "You couldn't score in Umina" chant ... well I never!

B

bakery5

what happened to the days when people hug each other and feel the love

I personally think that any chant targeting a player or ref's family is unnacceptable most especially when they are derogative.

Stop and think how you would be affected if it was you, your wife or girlfriend, your mother, your daughter that they are singing about. How does that member of that player/ref's family feel when hearing that chant in person or on tv being sung about themselves. I was horified when I heard the chant on Dwight York's son and although many of you see it as funny, I am sure I am not the only person who thinks its cruel.

Taking into account I am from a netball culture where you dont yell anything out except encouragement (not a football culture even if I am married to one of the biggest sport fans around) isn't it possible for our football culture to change for the better and make chants more encouraging instead of derogatory.

I seldom sing but that dosen't mean I don't enjoy the games and the companionship in Bay 16, they are a wonderful bunch of people even if they do have some doubtful tastes in chants lol.

C

C U JIMMY

Last game in Newcastle on leaving the ground a newcastle supporter in his 50s or there abouts,  commented about the great vocal support from the marinators bay,  but also said he found the chant we are not  ---k---  your sister you are most offensive  and my wife was not very impressed with the chant either.   Do we really need these chants.

FFC Mariner

Agreed, while my language at a game is terrible, I stop shot of chants like that. Not because I am a saint I just think we make ourselves look like twats TBH.

There is an element of "naughtiness" at work I suspect and this is worse in bigger crowds where we get the blow ins.

Having said that, bays 15/16/17 are probably not places for the easily offended and Bay 2 at EAS or the Cove would be the same.

And Bakery. There was plenty of hugs and love when Kwassie equalised :)

Jeff (LouMacari)

I too wouldn't like to see those chants that 'cross the line' continue either. Some i choose not to join in on but as Auburn states, we are not fun police and have no power or right to stop it completely

brett

When it comes down to it, people will sing what they want. That chant was sung by about 8 people because most realise that in Bay 16, the Marinators reputation should be put before the freedom to sing whatever you want. That's not being restrictive, it's just people making a choice.

If people decide that their choice is to sing certain chants, then they have made up their minds and shouldn't really be told to do otherwise. IMO words are words and no matter how offensive, they can be ignored.

But what really peeved me about the incident is that when the lady did express her disgust at the song, the response from grown men was like 13 year old boys.

- f**k OFF
- It's a free country
- We've been here longer than you

It's a shame that Marinators regulars can't put their pride (or whatever) to one side, think for a moment and respond in a mature way. And as djebella said, they were very much not 'here for one game' as someone yelled at them, they have been regulars this whole season and traveled more than most this season. If that is the attitude people joining the core cop from some of the 'face' Marinators, maybe that is why the group is struggling to grow?

Hagar the Horrible

radar said:
valentius borealis said:
djebella said:

how about verballing a female supporter..? That's the worst kind of incitement to violence I can think of.
Why should the gender of the supporter who's been verballed even come into the equation?

EastEnder

"women's a-league starts next year that these players are not treated with such disrespect and contempt"

There's a full on womens aleague starting next year? Jesus they'll be lucky to get a crowd let alone a terrace singing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred