• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Back at home v Pissants 26/3

Forum Phoenix

everyone on the park looked better ! because we were on the offensive .
the bits that worked were nizzy and ballard . a rejuvenated olli maybe be an equally
as good fit . but that still needs to be witnessed for the current setup .
if ballard is sacked for olli then the message thats is sent. is form is no guarantee of a start .
with our reliance on youth ,that is not recipe for success

Still disagree, I mean they were down to 10, but like your rationale TB.

Forum Phoenix

I actually thought Maxy was decent. Probably his best game since Apia. Comparing his performance to Beni is an insult. Beni was a train wreck......Maxy was clever and skillful and our only middy willing to try to score from the edge of the box.

Olli, comes in instantly for me but Max certainly showed he belongs at this level far more than Smith, Beni or Roux.

Yep, disagree on this one. Pound for pound, I think Smith has actually made a big difference and Beni had a shocker but has earned his spot with recent games - and Roux did well last night. Max... some good moments like I said, and solid contribution moving the ball around against ten men sure, but he did turn the ball over at least twice before they went down to ten. And really my point is not about his individual game, it's that I still don't think he's anywhere near Ollie as a player.

Wombat

Yep, disagree on this one. Pound for pound, I think Smith has actually made a big difference and Beni had a shocker but has earned his spot with recent games - and Roux did well last night. Max... some good moments like I said, and solid contribution moving the ball around against ten men sure, but he did turn the ball over at least twice before they went down to ten. And really my point is not about his individual game, it's that I still don't think he's anywhere near Ollie as a player.
100% agree nowhere near Olli but I thought your criticism was a tad misguided. But we dont see everything the same and I always respect your opinions 100%.
I was just defending the lad because I thought he had a very solid game. 7.5/10 for me.
Smith 7, Roux 6.5 and Beni 4.5.

midfielder

Faz & Miller provide a lot of our attack both have have different styles... with Faz its the pass forward or into the box... and its the speed the pass is delivered i.e. the less time on the ball, often the distance of the pass and often to the right spot... whereas as Miller its his running, his strength both on the ball and to get around opposition players and often send a bullet short pass and mostly on target....

Both need a little more in defence but Miller in particular is improving each week in this area and Faz is to but at season start he was the better defender of the two....

The combination of Hall... Miller ... Hatch ... especially the Hal Miller combination is exciting IMO... Faz and Smith are also getting quite a combination and with Smith comfortable at left back the ability for Faz to play forward with Smith able to fall back to cover will be interesting to see develop... just maybe Smith has found his best spot... as an aside I always believed Strom Boy would make a great right mid and an average right back... would love to see him in a game as the wide right mid...

midfielder

Just on the Ollie naysayers ... without a doubt the best player we have and to assume he could not adopt to different instructions from the coach is a laugh...

The mega difference in the last two games has been the forwards dropping back a tad creating passing angles.

true believer

If a 21 year old can’t handle losing a starting spot to our most senior player after an ok/ decent but not amazing performance they’re going to have a bad time. Nizzy had to earn his stripes for us off the bench and look at him now.
your kidding right ? besides cutting half the post to suit a narrative .
the last to weeks have been a new world .
is your input that we stop picking players on form and go with seniority ?

turbo

your kidding right ? besides cutting half the post to suit a narrative .
the last to weeks have been a new world .
is your input that we stop picking players on form and go with seniority ?
I only quoted the relevant bit to save space. Nothing in the rest of the post that I’m selectively avoiding.
That’s just the way things are and it happens everywhere in football. You don’t leave your most experienced, better and expensive players on the pine because they missed a game or two and someone else was ok especially a young player still growing into the team. Not amazing, not a standout, not MOTM, just ok or fine. Now if Oli was to come back in and revert to negative football, not trusting his team mates and stopping our attack then yeah he should go back to the bench for not following Monty’s instructions.

Ancient Mariner

Very good point Mick.
There is no doubt Ollie is one of the best and most experienced players in the team. My worry has been that in his last few games he has looked slow in recovering and getting back in defence. I have been putting this down to him growing older. On reflection it is probably due to his having played every game without a break in what has been a punishing programme.
Hopefully we see him back soon, refreshed and full of enthusiasm.

Ozhammer

I think Ollie needed the break as he had been carrying a lot of weight in the preceding games and is not getting any younger, so hopefully he comes back in refreshed and raring to go. He has always been more of an attacking player that can do the defensive stuff, so I really don’t see him not relishing the opportunity to play that style of football from here on but as others say, if he does prove to be a handbrake, he needs to be benched just like any other player should be.

pjennings

I think Ollie needed the break as he had been carrying a lot of weight in the preceding games and is not getting any younger, so hopefully he comes back in refreshed and raring to go. He has always been more of an attacking player that can do the defensive stuff, so I really don’t see him not relishing the opportunity to play that style of football from here on but as others say, if he does prove to be a handbrake, he needs to be benched just like any other player should be.
I gather you meant that figuratively - not literally

Ozhammer

. yeah OH is over a certain age where these things are implied

. if he was part of a younger demographic he would have said literally but meant figuratively
I resemble that remark BG, I was told to always respect my elders, well at least when they were within earshot anyways….. ;)

Last edited:

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
well I’ll be damned, we saw pigs fly. 52min and Roux tracks back and is goal side and a dangerous cross comes over and Roux actually defends it perfectly and forces the AU player to push him in the back and we get the foul. This is the sloppy play for years we have been doing and conceed to. Finally he does what is required.
maybe his contract talks are looming...just like that blond bogan pisshead that was a mariner ,whose name eludes me, WAIT got it Andrew Hoole.... he only scored a cracker of a goal at talk time :}

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred