• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Australia's bid for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup

Forum Phoenix

Anyone else up watching the Korea bid (currently) and other bids streaming live on foxsports.com.au after the Oz bid?

Firstly on ours, what was bloody Elle doing?
Was it just me?? I was cringing beneath my couch!?

Did she think it would look like "come play" in Australia, meant come play in Oz with hot supermodels that like older men?? It was like she had no idea regarding context of what she was doing and how it important it was? She acted like it was a bloody Frank Lowy award ceremony. Her over the top gushing was embarrassing I felt? Maybe they'll like her Frank love?? Maybe other people think it was great? I certainly only hope so. But it made me cringe.

Unfortunately our speakers were not brilliant imo (Governor general was ok- Frank was best. But they all made multiple stumbles. Though better than the Koreans from what I've heard so far.

However I thought our vids were quite good, and I didn't mind the Roo toon, it was petering on being cringe worthy again for me personally - but as an Aussie I concede that would be more the case - whereas other nationalities are more likely to enjoy it I think. Even then however, I personally loved the multi cultural backbone to the ending and thought it was quite powerful.

Koreans...

WOW, Koreans using A strongly american accented male Voice Over for its video bid talking about Korean culture... Sounds absolutely awful.

Their bid lacks the flavour and excitement of our bid imo, but is sound and technologically very strong. Personally I think our bid is stronger than the koreans - so would hope we will at least get through the first round of voting...

I will post again soon during next bid if I don't fall asleep.

adz

Staff member
I just flicked it on. Might help me get to sleep.... ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.

Forum Phoenix

I just flicked it on. Might help me get to sleep.... ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.

lol. The Korean bid was a serious snore fest wasn't it.

Be fun watching Qatar offering each member a show bag that is not to be opened until when they got home later... :rolleyes:
And explaining how they will fill stadia after stadia with a population of 500k while providing a non sterile environment outside of the WC where everyone is not dying of heat exhaustion...

MrCelery

Korea's bid was a big bore fest. But a few useful business statistics about the bid. I doubt pleading for the bid to help unification will help. They'd have to worry about security if the two Korea's keep trading punches as they have lately. Credit to them for being up front about the recent fighting though.

Australia's video was just another travel advert with very little about football in it. Why we always insist on long panoramic shots of swamps and deserts I'll never understand. There is far more beauty in our country than a bloody flooded river bed.

It was irreverent and cheeky, which is what the world would expect. The cartoon roo was just a recycled Matilda, the Brisbane Commonwealth Games mascot. But it was cute enough. Some fun use of graphics - the World Cup in the traffic light, etc. I nearly choked at the shots of AFL games after what they did to sabotage the bid. And Hoges, well, I work on the ATO's websites, so I can't comment!

Agree with Forum Phoenix about Elle. Looks like she just popped in for an impromptu "G'day". Surely that wasn't scripted.

Frank was OK, and made it clear that he was pretty chummy with the voters. Basically he said that it's all been said in the bid book and in the inspection visits, which would be true. Just a personal passionate appeal, which reflects who he is.

Buckley and the GG were quite polished without saying anything too spectacular.

Qatar and the US should be very interesting. I expect them to be very polished presentations.

On the strength of our presentation, I reckon we're still in with a small chance.

Forum Phoenix

Wow, Qatar's video just scared me. Years of media influence has clearly done it's job on me. You show me a blank faced robed Arab with sunglasses on, staring at me, and I really don't want to go to Qatar and do anything.

Opening vid was so militant feeling aswell. we are STRONG. Such a different feel to the Aus bid. So much joy and celebration in ours...

Stadia... hmmmm...

The legacy of 22 stadiums for developing countries is a very powerful statement. Easily their strongest bid point imo so far.

Finished. Slick strong presentation. But I'm not sure at all about the whole - right time to come to the middle east, and unifying Israel and Arabs... Personally I wouldn't feel very comfortable taking that one on as yet, if ever, if I was FIFA.

All the technical metropolitan stuff looks cool, but STERILE. Sold it like Qatar would be one big glitzy nightclub for the rich and famous... but even whie it was playing I couldn't help but think of the heat and the idea of hanging around the middle east as they suggested for travelling I can't imagine appealing to a majority certainly of the western world.

So, when all's said and done, it was a very strong appeal made very much on the idea that FIFA could finally solve the problems in the middle east by giving Qatar the World Cup.

It might help, but it's actually possible it could even make things worse.

If I'm looking to spend many thousands to go to a world cup, I know which country I would be rather going to. And you would surely think most people/fans in the world who are not middle eastern, and even then... would prefer to come to Australia. Surely would create a lot of excitement as a place to go that Qatar simply could not generate.

They pitched it, and you would have to agree that really, this would be a Middle eastern world cup with probably about a 90 - 10 split racially - which makes our multi cultural selling point with the "every game would be like a home game for the different teams" line, seem a very smart and attractive point to me.

northernspirit

qatars presentation was amazing lets be honest
but some of the claims are questionable at best, and there is no escaping the serious flaws in their bid

tiny country, tiny population, extreme heat, nothings been built yet - very high risk for FIFA but they offer bags upon bags of cash

Ive always thought they had no chance but now i think they do, it would be a disgrace if a tiny oil nation could be given such a massive tournament. What major events have they held? The only shot they had in their video was of a tennis event with a stand at best 1/5th full.

Our video was good without being brilliant, Korea just awful - i give us a small chance, i think were behind Qatar and USA grr

our best bet is to pick up the votes by fingers crossed the early exits of korea and japan, then hopefully we build momentum and its on

Forum Phoenix

I agree it's a strong presentation NorthernSpirit, but just too flawed and too restrictive for my liking.
Qatar would be low down on a list of nations that I would like to go and see a world cup in.

Forum Phoenix

f**king hell... Morgan Freeman??!!
Who wouldn't do whatever Morgan f**king Freeman told them to do??
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Curse you Morgan.
Curse you...

:(

Forum Phoenix

MWAAAAAHAAAA!!!!

MORGAN JUST MISSED A WHOLE PAGE! AND HAD TO GO BACK.

f**k it up again Morgan, have as many takes as you need :D

Forum Phoenix

Ok, take a breath now it's just landon Donovan now. yawn. Didn't he get his ass kicked by scummers last week?
:rolleyes:

WTF, looks like we are the only country who isn't pushing for FIFA to "unite their country" through the world cup.

Screw that! Come play! ;) :D

Forum Phoenix

i am starting to feel like our presentation looked a little juvenile and lacked refinement compared with the US and Qatari bids...

We obviously went for that, Come play, cheeky Roo stealing cup vid etc etc... But we seemed to convey a LOT less content than the other nations and that has me running a little scared I have to say.

And there speakers are far more polished also - sigh.
BUT, still, not sure how much people make their decisions of these final presentations anyway.

Forum Phoenix

Great speaker... sigh....
If it was solely off presentations, we would now be well behind the eight ball I think.
Yanks are unashamedly focused on revenue generation potential. But still dignified and poignant.
We have to hope the - you had it in 94 you greedy bastards - stops them, and that Qatar's key faults stops it's bid.

Sharpie

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/02/3082153.htm?site=sport&section=all

To watch our video click under Elle.

douges

Just watched the US presentation.
Anyone else notice the backhander to all but the US from Sepp Blatter?

In his introduction he acknowledges Mia Ham and says: "The only delegation with a representative of womens football".

A very well put together presentation.

In the midst of watching Austrlia's bid. Not overly impressed so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred