• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Arnie, you don't live here any more. Stay out of the pantry.

midfielder

From the FFA homepage...

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/offsider-opinion-display/Arnies-choice-leaves-Sydney-hanging/47229

Arnie’s choice leaves Sydney hanging

8 May 2012 8:38 AM

Graham Arnold’s brave but correct to decision to stay with Central Coast Mariners gives the Gosford club a massive boost – but where does it leave Sydney FC?

The Mariners project is one that should fascinate anyone who watches the Hyundai A-League. The league’s smallest club has battled throughout its existence, even to the extent that they struggled to pay their players in the season they became Premiers.

And despite the ownership saga that has dragged on for months in the background, with the much-talked about Russian investors still hovering in the wings, the competition’s smallest club is ready to take the next step up.

The $40 million Centre of Excellent at nearby Tuggerah will give Arnold’s side the best training facilities in the country, and offer an extra revenue stream, regardless of what eventually happens in the boardroom.

And Arnie’s decision to stick with the club means the Mariners can also maintain their encouraging development on the field.

The Mariners have always seemingly punched above their weight – but perhaps now it’s time we reassessed what that weight is. Consistent finals appearances and now reigning Premiers, Arnie’s commitment should ensure they will continue fighting for honours next season.

Arnold retains the core of a great football team and faces the interesting task of finding suitable replacements for the likes of Rostyn Griffiths, Matt Simon and the Germany-bound Mustafa Amini.

The Mariners title-winning National Youth League team should provide yet another injection of emerging talent, and a sprinkling of some more established talent will mean they can realistically look to defend their title in season 2012/13.

But an hour or so down the road, the outlook is not so rosy.

Sydney FC - and indeed many fans and pundits - seemed certain the Sky Blues would get their man. Despite their underperformance on and off the field, Sydney are still perceived as the bigger club and such managerial progression is the norm in football.

In football, the grass is always greener at the other stadium. How many times have we watched a coach leave a successful squad he has built for the opportunity in a more glamourous setting, only to struggle to replicate the positive team ethic and winning consistency that got him the job in the first place?

“Two years ago I signed a three year contract with the Mariners, and I have decided to see that three year term out because of the loyalty and respect I have for the players, the Chairman, the staff and all the supporters," Arnold said on Monday afternoon.

“Already my main focus is on recruitment for next season but also next week against Nagoya (Grampus) in Japan."

At the Mariners, Arnold can continue on the exhilarating path he has forged for himself – but a big-money move to Sydney would have meant spending his time filling in potholes.

The double-winning team of departed coach Viteslav Lavicka has long since evaporated, and the club have already released a slew of experienced players, with question marks hanging over the likes of Shannon Cole, Michael Beauchamp and Scott Jamieson.

Arnold would have to start again, building a team from the bottom up at a club that, regardless of its ambitions or potential, is realistically in no better shape than any other in the A-League and has a history of boardroom instability.

Sydney have sought to save some face on Arnold decision, with football director Gary Cole pointing to some unacceptable “last minute requests” but given how long negotiations dragged on, that sounds more like an attempt to retreat with dignity rather than accept the snub.

Cole went on to say that Sydney have been “working on a small number of alternative options” for their new head coach but you have to wonder where they can turn to give the newcomer enough time to rebuild a squad and prepare them for next season.

Will they look overseas again, given that both their titles have come under European coaches? Will they look to the domestic game? There are plenty of excellent local coaches waiting to be given their chance – Gold Coast United’s Mike Mulvey certainly impressed in his short reign at the end of the year.

But are Sydney the type to place their trust in an upcoming coach, or do they believe that they require a more experienced figure to guide them back up the table?

Arnold’s decision has left the Sky Blues hanging and struggling, yet again, to build the framework that can finally deliver on the club’s potential. For the Mariners, meanwhile, the future is all blue skies.

MagpieMariner

That'll teach them not to go after people already contracted elsewhere, even allowing for the seeming lack of respect for contracts in football.

T

In the history of the Mariners, we have had 2 coaches, and Syd have tried to steal both of them, only to fail!! :piralaugh: :piralaugh: :piralaugh:

Roy Law

I am a bit confused - has Arnie simply agreed to honour (upgraded) his contract or has he signed a one year extension?

adz

Staff member
I am a bit confused - has Arnie simply agreed to honour (upgraded) his contract or has he signed a one year extension?

Me too... I've seen reports saying he will stay with Mariners on an extended deal for the next two A-League seasons, but then any quotes from Arnie say he will be completing the original 3 year contract...

"I signed a three-year deal two years ago and I want to finish it," he said. "I am a loyal person."

"I have decided to see that three-year term out (in Arnold's current contract) because of the loyalty and respect I have for the players, the chairman, the staff and all the supporters," Arnold said in a statement.

Confusing much?

bikinigirl

the Mariners website said:
Central Coast Mariners can this afternoon confirm that Head Coach Graham Arnold has decided to continue his excellent work with the 2011/12 Hyundai A-League Premiers.

Indeed, Arnold has agreed to an extended, upgraded deal with the yellow and navy which will see the former Qantas Socceroos boss remain as mentor of the Mariners until the end of the 2013/14 Hyundai A-League season.

. it then goes on to quote arnie talking about honouring his contract

. so both can be true ... seems clear enough to me

linky-link to mariners article

iEatHands

I'd expect at least another year ontop of his original 3 year term with what sounds like a new fatter contract. Another 2 seasons with GA would be nice.

Wombat

Apparently Lawrie is going to help with recruiting so hopefully we will get some shit hot up and coming striker from Scotland who is a born and bred goalscorer.

I was watching some of the finishing in the English championship ( supposed to be around the same standard as HAL) as my my there was some quality.

Surely some of those dudes would enjoy a couple of years in Australia banging in goals for fun while getting a suntan (quite a few didn't need tans btw).

MrCelery

Can confirm Arnold will remain at CCM

Wow. Can't say that's the...

latestnews.jpg

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MagpieMariner

don't we already have that in Sutton ????? :piralaugh: :piralaugh:

Perhaps a whole pre-season with Clarkie to get him Aussie fit and get him used to our climate and what we do and get the rest of the team used to what he does might be a good thing, but hasn't he said he's looking forward to going back to Scotland at the expiry of the loan?

Yeah, I didn't miss the smilies :rolleyes:

crock

great news for the club about arnie that he is staying 2012/13 season is looking good for club

ballantyne

Arnold's path to the World Cup:
Wins the seat with CCM 2013.
Turns Sydney down again.
Quarters of ACL
Top of table Xmas 2013, lured to J-League on 7 digits
4 good years in JL and ACL
Semis of 2018 World Cup Finals shifted to Aus at last moment because of Saudi civil war.
Contract renewed
Wins 2022 World Cup, Amini captain

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred