• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Amini dropped from U 20 World cup squad

neverwozza

"There was a thing about my fitness. I had a blood test after not sleeping for the best part of two days following the Holland match, because I was part of the Dortmund party which went to Wembley for the European Champions League final the next day, and it was full on for 48 hours.
"Then I flew to Cyprus (to link up with the Young Socceroos) and had the test. Of course after not sleeping for two days my blood won't be the same as everybody elses and that was the excuse I was given.

This is the only valid reason I can see amongst all of it. I assumed he pissed up with the first team and didn't sleep for two days and Okon didn't like it.

Forum Phoenix

Yeah that and the bulking program at Dortmund.
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/274006,amini-blasts-back-at-world-cup-bombshell.aspx

Has Mustafa turned into a crazed party animal, lost all his fitness and should be shunned? Or is he just a 20 year old who hasn't slept for two days and likely been on the piss because he's just gone to the biggest football match of his life as his club were in the final?

Regardless, a great coach works with their athletes. Even when they are doing stupid things. Especially when they are doing stupid things. And the "stupid things" tag I'm using liberally here, as in this instance it's also interchangeable with typical, understandable and to be expected behaviour in an under 20's male squad member.

To me this is all about man management. It's a serious and difficult skill. And it's easy to know your failing when your losing your best prospects. Was Okon on the phone, prior to Amini's obvious upcoming away trip reminding him that he is a valuable part of the squad, and though the UEFA final will be a fantastic event, it will likely put him under extreme pressure to party just before he's about to go back into camp? Were they then still expecting him to fail at this request? I would be. But I'd be hoping that the call may have helped the athlete to be a bit more moderate. And then the smart thing to do is already have a good idea of how you'll reprimand the player and come up with a punishment that "works" and ultimately helps you and the player both. But instead what you hear typically in these situations by angry and frustrated coaches, is there are rules and plenty of other kids who would give everything for this opportunity, and it's not my "job" to "molly coddle" and "hand hold" players... And it does suck to be frank, but is it good man management regardless of how you feel about it? Absolutely. And it's essential.

I wonder how many of the other under 20's kids, if they had actually had the ability to get themselves to be in Mustafa's situation, would do any differently. Not many. So it becomes a part of coaching.

All over the world clubs and coaches work around the short comings and human errors of their players. I coach athletes who represent Oz, all be it in a different sport, and that's what you do. The wonderful, switched on, hardworking perfect kids are a real blessing to work with, but you can't expect to fill a whole team/squad of them. Humans, and indeed our world is just too flawed. There may still be more to this. But as it stands currently, it seems like a reactionary, short sighted and heavy handed approach which ultimately doesn't do anyone any good - and all in response to a situation that a professional and well funded national coaching panel should have seen coming a MILE off.

Which ever way you cut it, it's a very disappointing state of affairs. Will the player be better off for not being selected? Will Australia be better off for him not being selected? Personally, I don't think it's a coincidence that when our national football truly prospered was when we had a creative and highly intelligent coach in Guus who was exceptional at man management. The pragmatic and limited approaches of coaches like Verbeek, Oseick, piss ant town. and now I fear Okon clearly seem to lack another essential dimension.

Mumbles

How many swimmers hit the front page bulked up only to trim down before a big event?
I don't think this is relevant.

Him leaving in the middle of a tournament and coming back tired is the reason. I seriously doubt he partied. His choice of words "party" as in travelling group doesn't help.
FFA NT coaches are always telling players they have to put the national team before everything. The Wembley road trip may have been a poor decision. IMO

midfielder

You kinda gotta question the coach... a SFC youth player not playing ... against a player who has won best young player of the year ... plays in the German third division [where Dortund reserves play] ... who sat on the bench against Real in a ECL ....

Relying on a blood test if that was what it was is amazing.... me thinks this is showing Oken to be a person who once he has said something finds it impossible to in any way look at it again.. shows to me a weakness on Oken ability to think tho an issue an question what's on paper...

Big Al

Darren Lehman, David Boon & the Spin King - They never failed a fitness test or skin fold.

Coach: boys time for a skin fold test -
Boys - Good one Mate now F Off

Can the kid play for 90mins?
Is he one of the best 21?
That's all you need to know - Doesn't matter who he plays for

sydmariner

You kinda gotta question the coach... a SFC youth player not playing ... against a player who has won best young player of the year ... plays in the German third division [where Dortund reserves play] ... who sat on the bench against Real in a ECL ....

Relying on a blood test if that was what it was is amazing.... me thinks this is showing Oken to be a person who once he has said something finds it impossible to in any way look at it again.. shows to me a weakness on Oken ability to think tho an issue an question what's on paper...
it was man city not real that he was on the bench for

sydmariner

do u think it'd have made any difference if he'd been playing regularly in the 1st team (like langerak is)

sydmariner

I have no doubt that Okon would not have selected Ferenc Puskas or Diego Maradona...
IMO maradonna is the lance armstrong of soccer exept he got caught & besides messi was, still is & will forever always be so much more better than maradonna was & messi is still getting better

neverwozza

I went back and looked at all the vitriol around Arnolds selections for the 2008 Olympics and am willing to give Okon the benefit of doubt on this one. For whatever reason our national team coaches love a controversial ommission and then give as little information as possible on their reasons.

sydmariner

I went back and looked at all the vitriol around Arnolds selections for the 2008 Olympics and am willing to give Okon the benefit of doubt on this one. For whatever reason our national team coaches love a controversial ommission and then give as little information as possible on their reasons.
Like not picking Harry kewell 4 the socceroos

style_cafe

Okon has to be joking!
To pick a novice over an experienced,tried & tested performer for an under 20`s comp is nothing short of ridiculous.
Amini has already played in an U/20 World Cup, has 2 A-League seasons under his belt with one one the country`s best teams
& has played with Borussia Dortmund for 12 month`s & Okon tries to tell us that a novice from Sydney FC is better for the team!

Well Mr Okon you can go "root your boot" , you`ve just lost what remained of your credibility.
Come to think of it ,after your transfer scandal from Marconi where a large portion of your transfer money disappeared from the Marconi coffers
I don`t think you had much left anyway.

Atomic

What are Paul Okon's coaching credentials? Is he the right person to be in charge in essentially the next wave of Socceroos?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was he the guy that played Ollie at DM which led to Ollie going through a form slump when he returned to the Mariners?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred