• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Aloi$i now for Sydney FC

Deej

I think any team with decent players on the wing will trouble Sydney at times, their fullbacks to be fair are pretty average and they will be relying on Colosimo, Musialik and Popa to control the game as much as possible in the middle.

IMHO when we play Sydney in the HAL, IF Elrich and Caceres are firing we'll do fine against Sydney in an attacking sense, but defensively Boogs and Wilko will have to be at the top of their game.

clarence

Deej said:
IMHO when we play Sydney in the HAL, IF Elrich and Caceres are firing we'll do fine against Sydney in an attacking sense, but defensively Boogs and Wilko will have to be at the top of their game.

And if Elrich and Caceres don't fire AND Wilko and Boogs aren't in the starting lineup - or having bad days (Wilko more so than Boogs)- it will be a good indicator of where we are headed this year.

I'm not confident in our squad, and the lack of depth in certain positions may well bite us if key players are away from the squad.

It does look like the Mariners got the last bite at Aloi$i's better form. He's been injured for how long now? That knee may well have been the reason why he didn't get that overseas contract he was waiting on when we snapped him up as a short term cover for Osman. Aloisi is light years away from the Socceroos nowadays, and an overseas contract even less so.

marinersman

Jaza_SFC said:
I'm sure Big Dyl and the fat Maco who doesn't care anymore will prove far better replacements

ROFL

Be very careful JaZZa, no need to bring up Sash's ethnic background. We all know your hatred of him, but that is crossing the line.

Enjoy the ads on tele of your 1.4 million dollar man and his hair. It's the only time you'll see him this year.

I hope you don't get a sore neck watching your aerial ping pong team this year.

Jocwa08

Deej said:
I think any team with decent players on the wing will trouble Sydney at times, their fullbacks to be fair are pretty average and they will be relying on Colosimo, Musialik and Popa to control the game as much as possible in the middle.

nothing to do with the thread,
but deej so gota make that banner thats sick,
i reckon we need to rip on sheilds as much a possibly this year

S

soccersensei

marinersman said:
Jaza_SFC said:
I'm sure Big Dyl and the fat Maco who doesn't care anymore will prove far better replacements

ROFL

I hope you don't get a sore neck watching your aerial ping pong team this year.

I bet Kossie wishes he could recruit Barry Hall, he'd fit right into Kossie's highly ethical style of play.

FFC Mariner

Barry would have to harden up if he wanted to fit into Kosmina's outdated approach to playing football (wasnt he part of the coaching masterclass at the Asian Cup??)

Also, Barry probably cant hoof the ball as high and far as Kosmina likes either.

I actually feel for Bling fans who turn up week in week out to watch what he thinks is football. At least Lawrie tries to get us playing the right way.

Bex

Yeh, we somehow got a rep as long ball speciallists early last year. Don't ask me how 'cos I didn't see evidence of it; certainly no more so than anyone else in the comp.

Jaza_SFC

LOL it's funny becuase McKinna and Kossie both play very similar types of football. Very much british (and that doesn't mean long ball - for those of you who watch SBS).

Teams built on a solid defense first and foremost, that move the ball forward quickly (quick build up play as opposed to overly patient), often with a focus on width. The quick build up play can be through the middle or via the wide channels, and can be over the top or constantly played to feet - it doesn't matter. The whole idea is to get things moving forward quickly.
Of course, many Australian fans and pundits have been brainwashed in to thinking that 'direct' is a bad thing and that it's a pseudonym for long-ball.. Which it isn't.

They are teams that are built on CBs and CMs all being hard in the tackle, wingers that are happy to run at their men and get to the byline, and fullbacks that overlap and get involved further up the park.

Bex said:
Yeh, we somehow got a rep as long ball speciallists early last year. Don't ask me how 'cos I didn't see evidence of it; certainly no more so than anyone else in the comp.

McKinna has had to cop it from day one, as did Butcher. Moron pundits (and fans who fancy themselves as pundits) who think direct = long-ball are a dime a dozen in this country. The only time it does equate to total long ball is when a team runs out of ideas (which happens to all HAL teams - they are all prone to getting flustered and knocking it long - like any side at this level of football).

Fans in Australia seem conditioned to think that for football to be good it has to involve multiple backwards/sideways passes, or always involve a passing string of 7 or ore completed passes. They don't appreciate the effectiveness (and beauty IMO) of sides who work the ball around and look for the quick ball out wide to the winger running in behind his fullback. Or the precision cross-field ball from one fullback to the winger on the other side. The fact that it's a 40yd pass seems to make people think it's a long ball all of a sudden. People seem not to be able to appreciate the skill and quick thinking involved when your DM notices the opposition fullback out of position and dinks it over the top for your winger to take advantage.

That's not to say it always works. When it fails badly - it fails very badly. Ernie Merrick's team last season was a good example of this - tries to play quickly and directly but with the wrong cattle and wrong team setup, it just turned in to long-ball. Sides of any description who don't value posession will always get burned and not be fun to watch, but there are many different ways you can play when in possession and ppl in Australia seem to be convinced that only one is right.

I find it infuriating. The only true long-ball coach in this league was Richard Money.

Arabmariner

I agree with a lot of Jazas points.Football can be played in a number of different ways.Who's to say one is right and another is wrong.F**k if every team played the same way it would be so f**kin boring.Watching the world cup etc is exciting just because of the clash of different styles of play.
Climate has a lot to do with it as well.You're not going to play at 100 kph all day in the south of Spain unless you want to die.In the UK and a number of other colder climate countries you try playing slow,build up from the back posession football in the middle of winter and not only will you freeze to death but the fans just won't allow it!

Having said all that as far as any of my own teams are concerned I'll take a 1-0 win in a boring crap game over a 5-4 defeat anyday.

marinersman

Like we all thought and said, looks like Aloisi's out longer than first thought.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/81649,aloisis-debut-on-hold-again.aspx

Australia News
Aloisi's Debut On Hold Again
Jon Ritson
Aug 1 2008 15:00
JOHN Aloisi is facing a longer injury lay-off than first thought and it is likely to be September before Sydney FC fans get to see their marquee star in action.
Initially the forward had only been expected to miss the first game of the new season against Melbourne Victory but that now appears an overly optimistic view.

Kosmina has vowed that Aloisi will only return when he is fit to do so and that he will not be rushed back to appease fans, sponsors, broadcasters or anyone else.

Aloisi worked out in the gym today while his colleagues were put through their paces by coach Kosmina at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Speaking after training at the SFS Kosmina said: Johnny will still be a while away.

I cant quite honestly see Johnny being available before September. Once he gets back on the track I want to see him get through at least two to three weeks of solid training, competitive training, apart from the conditioning work hes got to do as well.

Kosmina is not interested in getting Aloisi fit enough for a short burst of action. He wants him ready to cope with the long haul.

He said: From my perspective as a coach I want Johnny on the park for long periods of time. That doesnt mean 60 minutes, it means 90 minutes. Then 90 minutes the week after and the week after that.

I dont want to try and bring John back too quick because either the media expect it, the fans expect it, or the FFA wants it or the sponsors want it, I dont care about that. Its the best interests of the player.

Johnny will do the right amount of rehabilitation and he wont come back until we think hes ready.

He is going to need some time on the training paddock to start with to get some conditioning and some form and hes going to need matches as well.

He wont be forced back unless hes 100 per cent ready.

Tony Popovic's hamstring niggle has improved sufficiently to allow him to face Wellington Phoenix tomorrow but Brendan Santalab is still recovering from a quad tear.

American Mike Enfield is definitely sidelined until the end of September following a knee operation.

FFC Mariner

Way to spunk $1.4m oin a crocked has been :)

Griffiths sulking and with a dodgy ankle.

Nik back to fitness

NRL imploding

Bozza

Why on earth would you support anyone else?

RADINHO

Greenpoleffc said:

Nik back to fitness

NRL imploding

Bozza

lol our pre season crowd is bigger than most Sydney NRL teams when they are in their Main season.

Flash

With the dramas with the NRL and now Sydney FC + Aloisi and also maybe having the addition of Bosnich. I'm loving the A-League and the Mariners even more so now.

marinersman

Greenpoleffc said:

Nik back to fitness

NRL imploding

Bozza

That is a beautifully penned post, Greenpole.

FFC Mariner

marinersman said:
Greenpoleffc said:

Nik back to fitness

NRL imploding

Bozza

Normal "Scum are c**ts" type posts will resume soon I promise

marinersman

Greenpoleffc said:
marinersman said:
Greenpoleffc said:

Nik back to fitness

NRL imploding

Bozza

Normal "Scum are c**ts" type posts will resume soon I promise

Don't worry, they are beautiful posts as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred