• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

ALM Round 1 vs Adelaide

Michael

My biggest problem with what I saw that game was not putting Noah Smith as LCB and keeping faz at left back and hoping we keep Nestory quiet. We're all aware just good faz is vs Nestory. Maybe the coach had no idea. Seems a bit stupid tactically imo
From our fans point of view yeah this is right.
2 things though….
1: has Noah smith ever played CB? In juniors or seniors? Yeah he’s got the frame for it but that’s about it. Fazz is well known to be decently comfortable there with experience.
2: Jacko is open about how analytical he likes to be. He would have a full squad report on firstly a players natural/favoured position and then the positions they can and can’t play. He would also know/have been informed how well fazz goes on nestory. But also, he isn’t Monty. If you just took over a team would you want to copy everything the old manager did or would you want to be your own person and do your own things? Like cmon.

Michael

My own big take aways after waking up less infuriated.
First of all, Jacko had his tactics spot on, aggressive press, direct fast attacking. Could’ve been 2-0 up inside 15mins (totally different story is we convert that early dominance)
Tulio playing as a 10 was good, he was the obvious outlet and Adelaide still couldn’t contain him, good signs going forward. Some of our attacking football was beautiful. Jacko likes the fullback out ball from Danny, it worked a lot but also missed plenty.
Jacko only got 2 things wrong, giving Wilson another start. And not having a natural CB on the bench. The latter only coming into play when Brian goes off with a “knock”. Which was a total spanner in the works. Not making the half time sub is a debatable mistake…. He probably wanted to see if the players (Wilson) would show a reaction, learn some things about his players. But honestly the rest is on the players, lack of composure and cutting edge in certain moments. Probably lacking match fitness ever so slightly too.
Once we were 2-0 it disappointingly turned into desperate footy on our behalf, not sticking to playing our game plan.

Wasn’t a 3-0 game imo, because we showed a lot of positives and some of our chances could’ve easily gone in, but also could’ve been more in the end. Danny was excellent.
It ain’t doom and gloom, folks. BUT Thursday has to be a big reaction from the boys.

Michael

On a positive note, it looks like we now have an assistant coach, anyone have any info on him?
Noticed this too, he also said pre game he had brought in his own “people” now. So refers to atleast a couple new staff. Maybe a gk coach. I also noticed the big tall bald guy wasn’t in the dug out anymore. Andres is still there obviously, he’s crucial for the translation to Tulio, Doka and Torres.

finally retired

Did I just hear correctly before the pen.. Commentators. “The mariners lost their first game of last season of which they never really recovered” really? We are champions!!!

Or did I miss what they meant
Commentators said WU were the first champions in recent memory to lose their first match and they didn't recover. Prior to that the champions for the previous x seasons had all won their first match.

turbo

Commentators said WU were the first champions in recent memory to lose their first match and they didn't recover. Prior to that the champions for the previous x seasons had all won their first match.
Most champions aren’t stripped bare like we were after a win.

In hindsight perhaps Steele into CB would have been a better play to allow Faz to stay wide, or even Steele into LB. But that’s not really on the coach as that’s Smith’s normal position so you have to assume he can actually play it and he didn’t exactly shine.

Not having a natural CB on the bench was a poor move and while injuries are unlikely it also gives us no cover of Paull or Kaltak is having a stinker of a game.

I think we’ll regroup for Bali on Thursday and I believe Faz will be able to play AFC cup and need to serve his suspension against Macarthur. AFC cup is definitely more important right now.

dlanod

The fact that DWH didn’t protest says it all. He’s normally a pretty opinionated bloke when there’s a bad call but he looked gutted to get a slight touch and concede the penalty.
Yeah, was definitely there but the barest of touches - just incredibly unlucky with the result (not even a dive) and where it was. Clearly wasn't going to be our night at that point. At least the women got a win.

AuzDutchy

feels like we used up all our luck in the GF last season

anyone suggesting Smith should have been at CB is a bit of a muppet

also anybody thinking Wilson did anything good is also a muppet, he added absolutely nothing and actively prevented us from building any momentum in the game

baptism of fire for ol Jacko, but the signs were there to not panic just yet

Ironbark

Disagree on Wilson. Anyone who puts themselves through a rewatch do me a favour and keep an eye on him. He pulls off a few high quality moments, most of which I noted because I cheered before realising who did it and had to give credit.

As I said earlier though I absolutely think coming off the bench is his spot right now. He is our weakest starting player currently for sure

Tevor

I felt for Denzel Wenzel as he put in the effort to sprint back and provide cover and only just slightly touched his foot. Could tell he was gutted and it put the game beyond us on how the match was going.

To be honest If I was Adelaide I would more worried they didn't put us to the sword by 5 or 6 especially when Faz had his brain explosion. Same thing happened to Faz in the U23 tournament so it is becoming a worrying trend, his first YC was stupid and what was he thinking for the second. Shame he was handling himself very well up until then.

Some mentioned is Tulio the leader we need up front, on last night I would say no and we miss both the Dingo and Beni for leadership up front. We were unsettled up front rushing shots and trying for worldies just like against Terengganu. That only lasted one game and the leap from AFC apposition to ALM seen us unsettled but they will get used to it. Hope Bali give us some confidence back on Thursday.

Wombat

Disagree on Wilson. Anyone who puts themselves through a rewatch do me a favour and keep an eye on him. He pulls off a few high quality moments, most of which I noted because I cheered before realising who did it and had to give credit.

As I said earlier though I absolutely think coming off the bench is his spot right now. He is our weakest starting player currently for sure
Watch that again Barky, especially from 30 min mark. Very poor game. It was a completely unacceptable performance in both effort and quality. Theo created 2 clear goal scoring oppotunities in his first 10 minutes on the pitch.

turbo

Watch that again Barky, especially from 30 min mark. Very poor game. It was a completely unacceptable performance in both effort and quality. Theo created 2 clear goal scoring oppotunities in his first 10 minutes on the pitch.
I don’t think Wilson has been lacking in effort. Quality perhaps but I don’t think we’ve seen a lack of effort. Judge Theo after 60 mins of you want a fair comparison.

Spacks

I don’t think Wilson has been lacking in effort. Quality perhaps but I don’t think we’ve seen a lack of effort. Judge Theo after 60 mins of you want a fair comparison.
Honestly think he may be guilty of trying too hard to make things happen. Crossing the ball when no one around to capitalise on it for instance

pjennings

Honestly think he may be guilty of trying too hard to make things happen. Crossing the ball when no one around to capitalise on it for instance
LM/LW is also not his natural position. He is more of a CM - but until Theo and Di Pizio are fully fit and uninjured, and given that we have Nizz, Max and Harry in front him centrally, he finds himself filling in out wide.

Allreet?

Been too depressed to read through the whole thread so this might've been said already:

We looked great until Kaltak was injured and should've been ahead. Alou getting injured was a further Spaniard in the works, and losing Fazz was desperate. Did well to keep it to three after that but still made chances.

If we keep players on the park we'll do well this year.

Tim

I was at the Mariners training on a warm Sunday a couple of weeks ago (organised by the Supporters Club) and Theo was flogged doing laps and sprints the whole time with limited rest and Andy Bernal training him “your down 2 seconds, Chris, go again”. I’ve no doubt they see him as a footballer but need his fitness up to get him a start. I guess it’s up to Theo but he looked very committed as he was flogged at the session in real heat. I assume it’s a matter of time before he gets a start…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred