• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A-League Expansion

fish

I think we covered this Wollongong aspect on the old forum with a list of who has come form the gong and played at the national level. They would,could assemble a pretty handy side but the crowd element would be the biggest hurdle I would think.
In saying that the Coast had nothing 3 years ago and we do ok dont we.

Part_Timer

FORMER Socceroo captain Paul Okon is an early contender to coach A-League club-in-waiting Gold Coast Galaxy.

Okon, whose decorated playing career includes stints in Belgium, Italy, England and Cyprus before a farewell campaign with the Newcastle Jets last season, yesterday said he had not been interviewed for the job by Galaxy officials.

But he revealed that his representatives had met with the Galaxy, who could be in an expanded national competition as early as next season.

Former Queensland Roar boss Miron Bleiberg is part of the new franchise's staff, but isn't expected to be named as head coach.

Sydney-born Okon, 35, said his preferred career path was coaching at A-League level and was open to all offers.

"I'm definitely keen to coach a team, whether it's soon or later in the future," he said.

Okon is an advocate for A-League expansion, saying eight teams and 21 rounds per season is not enough.

"A bigger league would bring us closer to being in line with other competitions around the world and it would give more opportunities to players," he said.

Both the Galaxy and fellow A-League hopeful, Townsville-based Northern Thunder, would prefer entry in 2009, but would willingly field teams next season if the FFA fast-tracked plans for a 10-team competition.

Galaxy executive chairman Fred Taplin and delegate Walter Bugno met with FFA officials in Sydney this week, while Thunder managing director James Gage hopes to have further talks with FFA chief executive Ben Buckley before Christmas.

There remains the possibility that only one of the Galaxy or the Thunder would be admitted into the A-League next season, with Buckley having said this week that while "nine teams is not our preference, we would not rule it out".

Gage said the Thunder, likely to be coached by Kiwi legend Wynton Rufer and to play out of Dairy Farmers Stadium, had the necessary capital to be competitive next season and would build up to having a kitty of at least $6 million within two years.

He said part of the reason for the Thunder's preference for a 2009 start was the club's reluctance to be given broadcasting rights money already promised to the existing eight A-League teams.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
as relates to expansion...bring back the gong I say...they always made a good showing in the NSL., but agree that they shouldnt limit the team name to just the Gong...dunno how about "THE SOUTH COAST STORM " ,I dunno. 
And how about them blokes running the Galaxy they been watching Ch 10 repeats of that "soccer" match too often..Galaxy!!!! how about a name with something more to do with the region you dopes...like the Gold Coast barstaff/gamblers /shoppers/japanese tourists/...or..here ya go the second most popular job up there...
the Gold Coast Concierge's.
As for the Thunder....by gingos...its gonna be warm up there to have a game of footy for visiting teams aint it?...a handy little advantage....But the mob up in townsville will support the thunder, i have no doubt about that

~Floss~

RECKY said:
as relates to expansion...bring back the gong I say...they always made a good showing in the NSL., but agree that they shouldnt limit the team name to just the Gong...dunno how about "THE SOUTH COAST STORM " ,I dunno. 
And how about them blokes running the Galaxy they been watching Ch 10 repeats of that "soccer" match too often..Galaxy!!!! how about a name with something more to do with the region you dopes...like the Gold Coast barstaff/gamblers /shoppers/japanese tourists/...or..here ya go the second most popular job up there...

As for the Thunder....by gingos...its gonna be warm up there to have a game of footy for visiting teams aint it?...a handy little advantage....But the mob up in townsville will support the thunder, i have no doubt about that

I'm a fan of just naming clubs ________ Football Club, and letting the nickname be just that: something that develops casually over time, out of affection, eg. Arsenal = Gunners, West Ham = Hammers, or, Adelaide = The Reds...

If they must have a nickname, please go for the Gold Coast ________s (plural), rather than the Gold Coast Galaxy (singular - and stolen, and very "flavour-of-the-month").

IMO it just makes the A-league sound like another here-today-gone-tomorrow toy league created for niche pay TV audiences (like the World Championship Beach Volleyball Series or that Handyman showdown thingy) - rather than building clubs with a tradition to last beyond an era when names like the "Roar" become dated.

On that note, Wollongong United or Wollongong FC (rather than the Wolves) would become affectionately known as the Gong or the Gongs. Doesn't exactly instill fear in the opposition, but IMO better than the Wollongong "Pride" or something like that

Rowdy

RECKY said:
how about a name with something more to do with the region you dopes...like the Gold Coast barstaff/gamblers /shoppers/japanese tourists/...or..here ya go the second most popular job up there...

add to that 'The Strippers', now THAT'S a club mascot.

Doesn't throw miniature footballs into the Bay, gives 'lappy's' instead.  8)  ;D

shelleybeach

gold coast  - they'd have to all wear white boots too

p.s. i am converted, Peter Turnbull is a saint! no seriously, fair play if he's keen and stumping up cash - i'm sure there's more lucrative things to do with your money, i just noticed his past and thought it was interesting but there must loads of ex Sydney FC fans with the Mariners.

Andy

A decision is expected to be made by the end of the month on possible expansion for next seasson.

C

C U JIMMY

If we get a Gold coast team it will mean the return of the one the only, Miron Blieberg  :tophat:, I think thats how you spell it,  geeze he could speak under water. Gold Coast and the Gong are what I would like to see, Canberra no no no. :headbounce:

rosko

Yep... The return of Miron is imminent... He is being touted as the coach of the Gold Coast..

Atomic

Definitely not Canberra. I think the 'Gong have earned the right to participate given their history in the NSL. I aggree with Floss in that they should just name the team after the region, eg Woolongong FC or Illawarra FC (or whatever). No Doubt the local fans will give then the nickname of the Wolves.

So, I think Gold Coast is a certainty and the South Coast have earned the right. Having said that, I'd like to see another Melbourne team simply to dilute the support of the Tards. It may lead to some fiesty scenes on local derby games but I think that's not a reason to stop expanding the league in melbourne. We may have to see those police state scenes we see overseas as I don't know what the answer is.

marinersman

rosko said:
Yep... The return of Miron is imminent... He is being touted as the coach of the Gold Coast..

Actually Miron has said he will definitely not be the coach. He will be the TD.

Dr Nick

I see the points made about a second melbourne team, but how about a second team elsewhere in victoria instead. geelong? is that far away enough? is anywhere else down there big enough?

then in future years - darwin?, canberra?, hobart/tassie, a nz south island team (so the sheephuggers can have their own little north/south derby), ..... lismore

Hmmm, I think there is a good reason why many people on this forum oppose the addition of a Canberra team- the Mariners have an arrangement for Canberra's youth players to come to the Mariners academy! (or something like that)

I personally think Canberrra is a decent option for, say, a 14th team. The pre-season cup crowds have been impressive, around 9000 from memory. And in terms of sponsors, with good management, that shouldn't be a problem- look at current sponsors like Sony, Samsung, Sakai etc, nothing to do with the local area.

I don't think there is really any argument about the next two teams- Gold Coast Galaxy and Northern Thunder. They are both good options and need to come in at some point. I like Northern Thunder, it incorporates Darwin, which I doubt will ever get a team. Galaxy seems obvious plagirism and a bit corny. Gold Coast FC would be good, they can try and rival Sydney for the title of Bling FC! As for shirt colors, blue and yellow is fine as long as its mostly a mid-blue color similar to the Knights in the NRL, and yellow is a minor color.

I'm also a strong supporter of an eventual Hobart Tasmania team. I'm still not convinced Sydney and Melbourne need two teams each, though Victoria needs a Geelong team if they don't get another Melbourne one.

There we go, the end of my rant.

And for my first post on this new forum, I may as well put this thing up.
:postcount:

Rowdy

To the contrary.

I don't think many on here would oppose an ACT team on your basis of an 'arrangement' with the Mariners about their academy.

Actually the total opposite, 'some' would rather more spaces in the academy go to local kids rather than 'guaranteed' spots for ACT kids, 'MOST" would rather that there be NO guarenteed spots for this assoc. and that assoc. "if that's the deal'. I say pick this best kids from anywhere in the country, lock them into 3-4 year contract's like the EPL clubs do, train them up and reap the benefits both on and off ($$$) the pitch for having the 'ball's, brain's & banana's' to do it, that is 'investing in them.'

As to the ACT crowds, 'your dreaming'  :vhappy:

I & others went down for the pre-season cup game this year against Sydney FC, mate there was lucky to be 2k there, it was a beautiful day & was a cracker of a game with us winning. Mates from the ACT said "it would be a waste of time trying to set-up an HAL team down there, they wouldn't come & watch the Brumbies when they were shite."

rosko

I agree.. The crowds at Canberra are appalling, and that is for all sports. I think more teams have failed in Canberra than have worked... Canberra should be an ideal place for Football as we play in summer, no excuses for the cold weather that they have in winter.. I like the sound of a Geelong team.. It gives a derby down there, without it being in the same city.. Derby Football is great, the atmosphere is fantastic...
Bring on the Jets.. Go you Yellow

P

Pete

...As Roddy said, Tintin.
Canberra is a hard market to crack.

I personally would love to see another Victorian team, but where, and who would be involved? I would definately hate to see the likes of South Melboune crawl their way back into the top line of Football in Australia, which they could well do as a rebadged team or some training ground/association assistance to a new Victorian franchise.

The Gold Coast looks a winner, what with the new Robina ground now built and looking first class.

Townsville is now, in my books, looking a poor cousin to the Gold Coast bid. The ground is a scattering of stands and seating, and the Cowboys NRL franchise is locally quite strong. Despite the Townsville bid's people saying they'd have a good start up, I wonder about the tropical temperatures and any local association support (Townsville appears more isolated than us). The Townsville people did talk up big about the multiculturalism of the area and the need to take the game to the people and get the likes of FNQ and Darwin involved to make up the support base. If they appealed more to the multi cultural ethnic groups of the area, would we see more Italian flags flown than Townsville flags?

But Gold Coast could hit the ground running if they have the financial strength to market strongly in the Gold Coast region and strike at the southern end of Brisbane, as far as Football Associations are concerned. And they would have a ready made derby with Queensland Roar.

bradley

djebella said:
SMH has an article about the fast tracking of expansion to ten teams for next season. I'm all for it!

Except this quote:
Gold Coast Galaxy are believed to have impressed the FFA with a financial model, which will uses profits from a property development company to pay the football club, and are a long way down the track of finalising colours (yellow and blue) and a logo

:naughty: :naughty: We're yellow and blue please pick your own colours!!
Won't that mean that QLD Roar will have to change there name ??? ???

thomas477

I hope that the FFA stays with 1 team, 1 town idea - sydney wouldnt be able to support two teams (23k for a semi?), melbourne maybe but is there two football stadiums?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred