• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2018 Pre-Season Games ...... yes they exist !!

Ancient Mariner

About the rest:
Good to see Tommy H. get 90 mins in, he is class.
Oar showed enough to be classed as one of our better signings, needs some more game time.
McCormack, brilliant touches and a headed goal that most A league strikers would try to kick in the net. I have not seen one like it at Gosford since Stuart Petrie left. Loved it.
I expect to see a lot of Murray on the pitch this year.
Rowles is still young but has the makings of a quality centre back.
Clisby at left back is a definite improvement.
Nisbett looks to be very useful, I would hope we have him tied to some sort of youth contract.

I am liking the attacking attractive go forward style of football. The talk has been there for the last four years but with no product, so far it is looking good.
Unlike previous years, it seems that now when there is a chance on there is a queue of players lining up to finish it.

Looking forward to seeing the 1st eleven on the pitch.

nebakke

That he's not up to the standard?

I get that, I guess my point is that it doesn't seem likely that he's taking a spot from anyone, so may as well give him a go I guess. Other than @Wombat's point about us playing him more then her deserves and maybe putting games at risk, which is probably a valid concern but I we'd have to trust MMM to manage it I guess.

Insertnamehere

I get that, I guess my point is that it doesn't seem likely that he's taking a spot from anyone, so may as well give him a go I guess. Other than @Wombat's point about us playing him more then her deserves and maybe putting games at risk, which is probably a valid concern but I we'd have to trust MMM to manage it I guess.
Valid point..
Uktimately us he taking someone betters spot is the decision to be made. The other side is, is he depriving a kid of game time even if 15-30 mins a wk?

MagpieMariner

I guess I am a glass half full kind of person. I agree with all the above assessments. I cringed in the first half at what might have been if Matt Simon was there instead of Usain. On the other hand I remember Matt Simons first 15 games and though we only signed him as he was a local. I will say this and it goes for everything we do and that is confidence is everything. Him scoring two goals tonight will give him a lot of it. He admitted that he was nervous after the first chance tonight. We will see what happens. I am glad he scored tonight.
UB has scored more goals in one match than Matty scored in his first season. I remember Matty looked like he couldn't hit the ground if he fell off a horse that first year. After he got his first the next year (against the Scum in Scumville if I remember correctly), he never looked back. You never know, this could be the making of UB professional footballer.

yellowcake

SBS Late News' story on the game concluded stating "Bolt's future with the Mariners will be decided before the start of the A-League next weekend".

I hadn't heard of a firm deadline being set for this week.

Fadetoblack944

One thing I noticed about last night was the ability to slow the play down when needed, at one point we where pushing forward 5 mins later we have slowed the ball down held possession. Was great to see a "plan B" if needed

style_cafe

Excited to see how the boys go. Would prefer to see Gauci start though, wonder how many errors Pearce will produce tonight.
Pearce wasn`t really tested.
His warm up saves were very good, distributions were hesitant (except the one to Tommy Oar) and he made very good near post save in the second half.

style_cafe

So here's the thing... what's the downside to us signing him at this point?
The only downside is that he takes the place of a better player.
However,then the question has to asked"What does the better player bring to the team"
I think Bolt bring more than we will ever know to this playing group and to the club as a whole.
His improvement is beyond question in my mind.
He still has a long way to go, but I think he can make it ,if only as a squaddie.

Luca Brasi

So here's the thing... what's the downside to us signing him at this point?
This has and continues to be a football circus but a marketing and promotion stroke of genius by the club.
Usain is not and will never be a 'genuine' professional footballer. Scoring twice against an out of season compilation of part timers does not change this.
My understanding is that we gave him a considerable amount of money to come for a trial period, most if not all has been recouped from sponsorships. Whilst we may say take as long as you want to develop as a player, I dont think he is going to hang around unless we kick the can again or give him a contract.
He wants $3m for a 1 year contract, this is more than the salary budget for our whole team and more than any other marquee player in the A league has received. Even if the FFA were to contribute, I think it would be destabilising for the team to have a guy sitting on the bench for the whole season and copping that amount of coin. Murray, McCormack, Simon, Gamiero would all start before him at #9 so at best he would be a curiosity deployed off the bench for 10 minutes in games where there is nothing at stake.
I congratulate Shaun for maximising the marketing value out of this and the coaching staff for not letting it become a distraction to pre season to date. I really like Usain's personality and was genuinely happy for him to score last night but I hope his journey at CCM is now over. Best outcome for us would be for MM to say great effort UB, but I think you need another couple of months before we could consider a contract. UB says thanks for the opportunity but there are now offers on the table from other leagues and off he goes to get his $3m in the USA or asia.

Michael

This has and continues to be a football circus but a marketing and promotion stroke of genius by the club.
Usain is not and will never be a 'genuine' professional footballer. Scoring twice against an out of season compilation of part timers does not change this.
My understanding is that we gave him a considerable amount of money to come for a trial period, most if not all has been recouped from sponsorships. Whilst we may say take as long as you want to develop as a player, I dont think he is going to hang around unless we kick the can again or give him a contract.
He wants $3m for a 1 year contract, this is more than the salary budget for our whole team and more than any other marquee player in the A league has received. Even if the FFA were to contribute, I think it would be destabilising for the team to have a guy sitting on the bench for the whole season and copping that amount of coin. Murray, McCormack, Simon, Gamiero would all start before him at #9 so at best he would be a curiosity deployed off the bench for 10 minutes in games where there is nothing at stake.
I congratulate Shaun for maximising the marketing value out of this and the coaching staff for not letting it become a distraction to pre season to date. I really like Usain's personality and was genuinely happy for him to score last night but I hope his journey at CCM is now over. Best outcome for us would be for MM to say great effort UB, but I think you need another couple of months before we could consider a contract. UB says thanks for the opportunity but there are now offers on the table from other leagues and off he goes to get his $3m in the USA or asia.

Hit the nail on the head harder I dare you.

yellowcake

Cheers usain for bringing in some sponsor $$ and getting the name out there. But as of Monday, when the boys prepare hammer and tong for round 1, please stay away from the team training.
When I read this bit last night, I resisted replying and thought maybe I'd feel better about it tomorrow. But you're still here.

Whatever your opinion, how do you presume to post on a public forum such a condescending reply addressed to a great champion, whose presence here has clearly brought much positivity to the team, the club and the region?

JoyfulPenguin

When I read this bit last night, I resisted replying and thought maybe I'd feel better about it tomorrow. But you're still here.

Whatever your opinion, how do you presume to post on a public forum such a condescending reply addressed to a great champion, whose presence here has clearly brought much positivity to the team, the club and the region?
He is not a "great champion" in this sport. He is a "great champion" in Athletics, if he wants a professional spot playing football he needs to be judged on his football not how much he was a "great champion" in sprinting.

JoyfulPenguin

And has it brought positivity to the team, the club and the region? Watching last night Fox took every opportunity to cut away from us, it hasn't brought positivity to us just to his media profile.

TedShot

Whilst he might not bring football skill. He certainly brings a depth of experience and sports psychology that no other member of the team brings. I couldn’t care less about his skill, I’d sign him purely for the positive impact his knowledge and faith can have on his team mates. The rest of the team is well constructed and can thrive

Michael

Not all publicity is good publicity. Every single article after lastnight has a raving headline and making comparisons with the elite attackers in Europe who only have one goal.
It’s the biggest joke in football right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred