• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2017 FFA Cup Round of 32 vs Blacktown City away.

pjennings

We play Blacktown a year to the day from our last outing in the FFA Cup. It is interesting reading back and considering as the article does that the last minute goal should have only been a consolation. It is really a case of sliding doors. I'm pretty sure if we didn't have that defeat a year ago that the mood and positivity going into a new season would not be here. Last season was an improvement. This season promises to be better again.

It has been a roller- coaster and not everyone has agreed with everything that has happened in the past year. But the recruiting this off season has got everyone interested and that all was precipitated by a couple of refereeing errors a year ago on Wednesday.

Why Green Gully’s 40-yard goal shouldn’t have decided the FFA Cup match with Central Coast Mariners

FFA Cup

michael_puterflam.jpg

e61aa5b36dc8d9d22bac523f42188009

Liam Boland.Source: Getty Images
IT happened again. An FFA Cup 2016 match was decided by an incredible long-range strike. The only difference was that Liam Boland’s goal should never have decided the match.

On Round of 32 matchday one, Danny Choi’s 70-yard effort propelled Blacktown City to a further three goals in extra-time to rout Mark Rudan’s Sydney United 58 6-2.

Then on Tuesday night 24-year-old Boland came up with a similar effort to make Green Gully just the second state-level side to defeat A-League opposition in the FFA Cup.

The Gully forward spotted Mariners goalkeeper Ivan Necevski off his line and unleashed an inch-perfect strike that sent 876 cold but boisterous fans into delirium.

INDIVIDUAL BRILLIANCE: How Ned Zelic inspired 40-yard winner

c7ead6794fdf25d9c00e54107cd001b7

Liam Boland and Green Gully teammates celebrate his goal.Source: Getty Images
But that wasn’t the first goal Boland was attributed with in the match.

Central Coast were leading 1-0 via a 15th minute Nick Powell goal when Gully equalised with a controversial strike in the 85th minute.

Captain Daniel Jones scrambled to kick a cross into Mariners’ net, but the ball actually deflected off Boland - who was in an offside position - and went in. Don’t believe me? See for yourself.

So in reality Gully never should have equalised. But that’s not where the story ends.

The Mariners’ lead should’ve been doubled in the 41st minute. A lovely through ball was played to Powell for a one-on-one opportunity. With Roy O’Donovan waiting in the middle, the striker passed the ball square for the Mariners player to tap it into the net for a certain goal.

But according to the referee it wasn’t a goal. To the bewilderment of O’Donovan, the referee raised his flag to indicate the striker was offside. Replays showed the O’Donovan wasn’t in front of Powell’s pass - at best he was in line.

In the end not only were the Mariners denied a goal because of offside, but Green Gully were awarded one because their player was offside.

Did it change the match? Yes, because Green Gully would’ve been required to score two goals instead of one to just equalise.

But in the end, the fans got what they really wanted - a crazy goal and a crazy result.

Gully coach Arthur Papas couldn’t have been more thrilled.

“I can’t be prouder. It wasn’t just the last six minutes, I was proud of the whole game,’’ Papas said.

“From kick-off we didn’t take a backward step. We went behind early and it’s very easy against a professional team to drop your heads.

“But we spoke about staying in the game as long as possible, we believed we had the legs, belief and spirit to keep going.’’

But the goalscorer himself was almost lost for words.

“I can’t believe it. I’m lost for words,” Boland told Fox Sports.

“I’ve tried it a few times this year in the state-league and it hasn’t come off.

“It was about time and it just happened to be on this stage, so I’m really thankful for that.

The goal meant even more to Boland because of the impact it would have on his club.

“This club’s been dying for this,” said Boland.

“It’s a long time since they’ve been on the national stage.

“We fought really hard today and we didn’t put our heads down when we were 1-0 down.

“We came out in the second half with a lot of belief and we did that.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...s/news-story/4624d64ad7171d35f2c4c4a255e9d58e

Big Al

We play Blacktown a year to the day from our last outing in the FFA Cup. It is interesting reading back and considering as the article does that the last minute goal should have only been a consolation. It is really a case of sliding doors. I'm pretty sure if we didn't have that defeat a year ago that the mood and positivity going into a new season would not be here. Last season was an improvement. This season promises to be better again.

It has been a roller- coaster and not everyone has agreed with everything that has happened in the past year. But the recruiting this off season has got everyone interested and that all was precipitated by a couple of refereeing errors a year ago on Wednesday.

Why Green Gully’s 40-yard goal shouldn’t have decided the FFA Cup match with Central Coast Mariners

FFA Cup

michael_puterflam.jpg

e61aa5b36dc8d9d22bac523f42188009

Liam Boland.Source: Getty Images
IT happened again. An FFA Cup 2016 match was decided by an incredible long-range strike. The only difference was that Liam Boland’s goal should never have decided the match.

On Round of 32 matchday one, Danny Choi’s 70-yard effort propelled Blacktown City to a further three goals in extra-time to rout Mark Rudan’s Sydney United 58 6-2.

Then on Tuesday night 24-year-old Boland came up with a similar effort to make Green Gully just the second state-level side to defeat A-League opposition in the FFA Cup.

The Gully forward spotted Mariners goalkeeper Ivan Necevski off his line and unleashed an inch-perfect strike that sent 876 cold but boisterous fans into delirium.

INDIVIDUAL BRILLIANCE: How Ned Zelic inspired 40-yard winner

c7ead6794fdf25d9c00e54107cd001b7

Liam Boland and Green Gully teammates celebrate his goal.Source: Getty Images
But that wasn’t the first goal Boland was attributed with in the match.

Central Coast were leading 1-0 via a 15th minute Nick Powell goal when Gully equalised with a controversial strike in the 85th minute.

Captain Daniel Jones scrambled to kick a cross into Mariners’ net, but the ball actually deflected off Boland - who was in an offside position - and went in. Don’t believe me? See for yourself.

So in reality Gully never should have equalised. But that’s not where the story ends.

The Mariners’ lead should’ve been doubled in the 41st minute. A lovely through ball was played to Powell for a one-on-one opportunity. With Roy O’Donovan waiting in the middle, the striker passed the ball square for the Mariners player to tap it into the net for a certain goal.

But according to the referee it wasn’t a goal. To the bewilderment of O’Donovan, the referee raised his flag to indicate the striker was offside. Replays showed the O’Donovan wasn’t in front of Powell’s pass - at best he was in line.

In the end not only were the Mariners denied a goal because of offside, but Green Gully were awarded one because their player was offside.

Did it change the match? Yes, because Green Gully would’ve been required to score two goals instead of one to just equalise.

But in the end, the fans got what they really wanted - a crazy goal and a crazy result.

Gully coach Arthur Papas couldn’t have been more thrilled.

“I can’t be prouder. It wasn’t just the last six minutes, I was proud of the whole game,’’ Papas said.

“From kick-off we didn’t take a backward step. We went behind early and it’s very easy against a professional team to drop your heads.

“But we spoke about staying in the game as long as possible, we believed we had the legs, belief and spirit to keep going.’’

But the goalscorer himself was almost lost for words.

“I can’t believe it. I’m lost for words,” Boland told Fox Sports.

“I’ve tried it a few times this year in the state-league and it hasn’t come off.

“It was about time and it just happened to be on this stage, so I’m really thankful for that.

The goal meant even more to Boland because of the impact it would have on his club.

“This club’s been dying for this,” said Boland.

“It’s a long time since they’ve been on the national stage.

“We fought really hard today and we didn’t put our heads down when we were 1-0 down.

“We came out in the second half with a lot of belief and we did that.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...s/news-story/4624d64ad7171d35f2c4c4a255e9d58e
Fate?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

crap, I don't see any way I'll be able to watch this match - I have Fox Sports digital but not Fox Sports, and this one is televised so not on FS digital.

VicMariner

Basic foxtel + sports package costs me about $58 per month. Not much (imo) and there is a lot of sport to watch. I think it's good value.........

pjennings

I think we will be without Kennedy, Asdrubal. Brama and possibly Powell and it sounds like DDS will start on the bench. This is how I think we will line up.

------------Pearce--------
Roux----Baro-------Rowles----Rose
---------Tommy-----Liam-------
--------------Hoole----------
Appiah-------Bingham-------Pain

Bench: Glover, Golec, McGing, De Silva, Buhagiar

Not available: Kennedy, Asdrubal. Brama, Powell
Not selected: Ascroft, Berry

shipwreck

Does anyone have good knowledge of how to watch foxsports content from overseas, currently in the US and really want to watch this one!

Big Al

crap, I don't see any way I'll be able to watch this match - I have Fox Sports digital but not Fox Sports, and this one is televised so not on FS digital.
Cap that should give you access to fox sports website and hence the live streams of all 4 games.

Go to fox sports website and login. It will ask are you a foxtel subscriber. You needbto be logged in to access the streams.

I presume your digit subscription gives this. I get it through full subscription.

Sorry Capn just read the package and excludes the streams of live games On fox. Do you have a telegraph subscription? That should get you onto the foxtel website login as well. I login to both with my foxtel subscription. Gets me more views of articles but still no access to the premium content. So should work if you have telegraph subscription as they use fox sports for there sports content

From Foxsports Capn.
I have a subscription with The Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun, The Courier-Mail or The Advertiser
You can use the same login details as you do for your Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun, The Courier-Mail or The Advertiser subscription to login to the FOX SPORTS website, FOX SPORTS mobile app for iPhone and Android, or on Apple TV or Telstra TV through the FOX SPORTS NOW app.

So if you don't have that then hope Syd can pull through with a stream for you (although he'll be at the game) Or go the pub option

Last edited:

Big Al

Does anyone have good knowledge of how to watch foxsports content from overseas, currently in the US and really want to watch this one!
Try the page and see if you can access the replay if so can't see why you can't (you may have to login as above for Capn). If not you might need a region diverter. That's to complicated for me and probably costs $$$

Website says you can't watch video due to that geo stuff

Last edited:

Gratis

Okon eager to test new-look Mariners squad
By AAP

Central Coast coach Paul Okon is hoping for a protracted run in the FFA Cup to give his newly assembled squad an early shot of confidence ahead of the 2017-2018 A-League season.

The Mariners have made 11 new signings on the back of a dismal 2016-17 campaign that saw the team finish eighth after losing 16 games.

Spanish striker Asdrubal and Dutch midfielder Wout Brama are the latest arrivals at Central Coast Stadium.

"Not everyone who left, we wanted to," Okon said on Tuesday ahead of his second campaign with the side.

"But we felt that with good planning that we could put together a team certainly stronger and hopefully performances and results this season will vindicate that."

The Mariners will face Blacktown City in Sydney on Wednesday night for their first FFA Cup round of 32 clash.

But with Brama still overseas and Asdrubal not yet fit enough for selection, Okon says it won't reflect on the coming year.

"One of the issues is trying to find games in the pre-season when you're out of the FFA Cup," Okon said.

"For us, it's certainly a step in the direction of where we want to go, playing these competitive games.

"I'm sort of curious to see how we go with that."

Australian Tom Glover, on loan from Tottenham, is vying to be the Mariners' first-choice goalkeeper against Ben Kennedy and Adam Pearce.

Ex-Perth Glory midfielder Daniel De Silva returns to the A-League after cutting short a disappointing spell in Holland with Roda JC.

"We've got a number of players who can play in various positions so we'll probably go with what we think is our fittest team," Okon said.

"But it's certainly no indication of that being the starting 11 for round one of the A-League.

De Silva is unlikely to play as he gets up to speed on his fitness but Okon is confident he will play a key role next season.

"Our focus is building him up slowly and making sure he's 100 per cent for (A-League) round one," he said.

But other new recruits Tom Hiariej - a former Dutch youth international midfielder - and Spanish defender Alan Baro are both fit and available for selection.
http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/08/02/03/35/okon-eager-to-test-new-look-mariners-squad

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
did I mention that a resounding victory by the Gaffer and his newly constructed Okonauts would be the grouse ?, I did, cool....now I have one random thought, Looks like we got a spaniard but were calling a guy from Newcastle Hoolio...tad bizarre
COYY, kick their arse boys , time to eliminate the Green Gully rorting

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred