• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2010 Election Predictions Thread

curious

This must be the most frustrating election in history.

The Libs have no friggin idea when it comes to playing dirty just to get elected.Labor are all over them in that respect.

The Liberal Party appears to have pulled Google advertisements after threats the party breached electoral laws which could lead to a challenge of results in marginal seats.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/threat-drives-libs-election-ad-campaign-down-the-googler-20100811-11z9w.html

dibo

I'm going to vote above the line for the first time. I like the Labor ticket this time, because the Faulk is at the top, and then we go to the Greens without any nasty split tickets or diversions off to the CDP or whatnot.

midfielder

HHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMM its getting close and i am ashamed to admit I turned off after one and a half weeks or thereabouts...

BUT as Lewis Carroll wrote in 1872 ...{ worth a read about election time the last half in particular .. for the young-ens on the forum it is a poem .. not that long .... but not small neither... }http://www.jabberwocky.com/carroll/walrus.html

The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings.

Tho's so far ... as I see it anyway { awaits the ALP reaction} many of the programs the labour party did while in government were good in theory but poorly managed i.e. the home insulation & schools... also I am totally opposed to the direction of education being taken... the school system is following the worst of the US examples and at TAFE level course are being turned into Training Packages which IMO is very sad.

The Lib's well what can you say ... boats I think .... and swim gear... billy cart races....

The future ... the National Broad Band ... both sides know SFA as I see it... Libs will spend less and make less mistakes... ALP big spend ... I have a son who is a IT genius well he thinks he is anyway... he says two things ... first it is the overseas cable that will decide in the end our speed as we need to communicate with OS and second we need mobile not fixed...

I said back on page six...

How do I decide who will do the least damage... can’t see either of em doing any good... see both as puppets of their factions especially Julia.... I am always aware as Machiavelli said [not an exact quote but the theme] he who comes to power of their own accord has no masters ... he who is put in power by others has many masters...

I must admit I am concerned by the way Kevin 07 was put out and then an election called...

As people I think Julia is the smarter person... TA is the fittest... Julia prepares better than TA, knows the background details better... Both seem hugely under the control of their minders... Have not seen a vision thing from either of em...

Don't have a feeling of trust about either of them... trust Julia less than TA [ my trust for TA is not that great] re the Rudd thing ...

For me anyway the power of the unions especially the NSW right with the political of labour is concerning...

Who is behind the leaders HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMmmmmm gotta be a sad day when you look at the quality both sides put up as ministers .... The Vic guy for the Libs Robb what a farkwitt cock sucker he is ....

Still thinking ... at least labour has given me something to think about ... the libs as I said boats, swim gear and billy cart races...

I first voted in 1972 for Gough ... I did not want to go to an Asian war... Gough said he would stop the draft... he got my vote ( Its Time for freedom Its time for OK OK OK but was a great ad) as did every outer 18 to 21 year old and their parents and relatives ... every election Commonwealth there has been a choice to make ... John Hewson and the GST as an example ... BUT FARK these two must be the worst two candidates ever to contest the federal election..

As I said or Lewis Carroll wrote

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages--and kings--

fedelta

John Alexander to win Bennelong has dropped from $2.35 to $1.70 in the space of a week or so :huh:

Forum Phoenix

Our choices are less than ideal when all is said and done, however I'm not voting a party in who has offered me absolutely nothing except to talk about the other parties shortcomings. Simple truth is I've never yet known a government, liberal or labour who after being in government weren't being loudly condemned for their many failures and shortcomings. So that either side will f**k up is a given to me.

So I'd actually prefer to vote for something which has some sense of vision and significant effort to improve every Australians way of life.

If you read around beyond the hyperbole, there are many impartial experts who are stating the national Broad band network will be an incredible boon and is a must for the development of our country. has been easy to miss this as the mains stream media have a clear aversion to having their monopoly further and hopefully irrevocably watered down.

This is something I feel is actually worth voting for.

And who could forget the CEO?
;)

curious

Well that's the evil side of the mediocrity coin. Instead of getting talented people into power to make hay for the country, we're getting mediocrities into power to make hay for themselves.

If they were payed a lot more they'd have less of an eye out for their own opportunities when trying to optimise the countries opportunities.

That's probably naive and simplistic, but that's the kind of guy I am...erm...let me rephrase that.

Along the subject lines of the modern politician, an interesting article on the dramatic decrease over the years of representation of the population and an even more dramatic increase in elected members directly from career political posts, party positions, ect. Career politicians.

Since 1981, members elected from political careers and/or positions has increased from 15% to 43%. The positions being - political consultants, advisers and lobbyists, members of state legislatures, party or union employees and electorate staff. A reflection of the modern politician not being representative of the population.

Toffs replace tinsmiths in parliament
Jessica Irvine
August 19, 2010

AUSTRALIA'S first Parliament had a tinsmith, a carpenter, a cabinet maker, a butcher, a market gardener, and no less than two hatmakers sitting on its benches.

Between them they could have built parliament, furnished it, tended its lawns and clad its inhabitants in the latest fashions.

Fast forward 110 years and 97 per cent of today's federal parliamentarians come straight from careers as ''managers, administrators or professionals'', figures from the Parliamentary Library show. The remainder include a motivational speaker (Pat Farmer, LP), an AFL coach (Damian Hale, ALP), two real-estate agents (Michael Keenan, LP and Judi Moylan, LP) and a military officer (Mike Kelly, ALP). There is not a single tradesperson among them.

A separate Herald analysis comparing politicians' past careers against the occupations of the wider workforce reveals a yawning gap between today's politicians and the people they represent.

Although nearly all of today's federal politicians come straight from a managerial, administrative or professional job, just 48 per cent of the wider Australian workforce hold such positions, according to the Bureau of Statistic's 2006 census.

The remaining half of the workforce include tradespeople and technicians 14.4 per cent, labourers 10.5, salespeople 9.8, community workers 8.8 and machinery operators and drivers 6.6.

Not one of the 226 members in the recently dissolved Parliament came directly from one of these occupations. (However, some members may have performed such jobs earlier in life because the library's figures only count the position held immediately before entering Parliament.)

According to the library, nearly a quarter of members came from a position in business - as executives, managers or self employed. The second most common path after that was through a union or party position (19 per cent of members). Barristers, solicitors and other types of lawyers made up a further 12 per cent of Parliament, despite representing just 0.8 per cent of the wider workforce.

Although Australia's Parliament has always been heavy with business professionals and lawyers, the increase in the number of politicians coming from party or union positions is startling. Just seven members of the 1901 Parliament were former union officials.

Today, 43 per cent of parliamentarians come directly from political jobs - including political consultants, advisers and lobbyists, members of state legislatures, party or union employees and electorate staff.

Two-thirds of ALP members come via that route, and this probably understates the numbers who held such positions previously.

In 1981, at the end of the Fraser era, just 15 per cent of all members came to Parliament directly from political posts. The last Fraser Parliament contained six tradesmen, eight teachers, six medical practitioners, two pharmacists and a policeman.

Ian McAllister, a professor of political science at the Australian National University, said: ''What we have seen in Australia is the rise of the career politician, where people are involved in politics at university and then they go work in a politician's office and then go into parliament.''

Although Australia has never had a government that truly mirrored society, it had become even less representative over the past half-century. ''In particular in the Labor Party, you have seen a collapse in people coming from working-class backgrounds over the past 50 years - it just doesn't happen any more, or it is very rare,'' Professor McAllister said.

''In terms of representing the interests of the people within their electorate, you might say it would be better if they came from a background which better represented the people.''

He said the rise of career politicians was a global phenomenon, but more pronounced in Australia because of the power of political parties to pick their candidates. Above-the-line voting in the Senate, in particular, meant parties more or less decided which candidates were elected.

''The Senate was designed to be the state's house and it was designed to be non-partisan and in fact its more partisan than the lower house.''

JOB LOTS

TOP 5 PRE-MP CAREERS

* Business executive or self-employed ••• 23.5%
* Party or union official or administrator ••• 19%
* Political consultant, adviser or lobbyist ••• 14.2%
* Barrister, solicitor or general lawyer ••• 12.4%
* Member of state/territory legislature ••• 5.3%

TOP 5 OCCUPATIONS

* Sales assistant ••• 5.7%
* Business & administration associate professional ••• 3.4%
* School teacher ••• 3.2%
* Carer or aide ••• 3.1%
* Road or rail transport driver ••• 2.9%

Sources: Parliamentary Library, 2006 census

bjw

bjw
http://www.news.com.au/features/federal-election/neck-and-neck-parties-tied-as-campaign-enters-final-hours/story-fn5taogy-1225907549878

midfielder

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages--and kings--

A swinger and proud to be so... am having great difficulty deciding who gets my vote... and I have at stake my winning record ... since 1972 I have never lost an election...

Gough ... the Asian war...

Fraser ... Gough's time was up...

Hawk... Fraser time was up and consensus ...

Keating.... Hewson scared me he just wanted so much control in Canberra

Johnny H ... the fist and second times because of Keating...
.... next couple of times because of Kim...

Kevin 07 ... because I had a choice ..

Pinko Julia or Gingus Tony ........ F me drunk what a choice ... or what no choice ...

............given it's before the polls and Friday night.... HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMmmmm I am feeling very uneasy ... very very uneasy ... never before such a no choice...

At this stage and i might change my mind by morning as I did with Johnny H the first time .... But my winning record gone I am sure ... but I am going with Gingus Tony ....

Why you all ask ... its the Hewson factor labour want to much control in Canberra ... I think pinko Julia will win and Gingus Tony will loose ... my record gone and here was I thinking I could be forever young and always vote for the PM...

kevrenor

... I think pinko Julia will win and Gingus Tony will loose

That's the palest shade of pink I've ever seen.

With all those winners you must have shifted electorates a lot! lol

I haven't voted for a winning candidate, ever. So my wife asks me who I will preference between Labor & Liberal. I said Labor. She asked why ... I thought about it and realised that it was ... not about potential PM but who would be in the ministry and what portfolios they would get. That scared the shit out of me... but more so the Libs! Very scary stuff!

Voting for:
Australian Democrats - Senate (I used to be NSW VP).
Sex Party - Bennelong (I used to have sex)

midfielder

Kev

Three times in Sydney ... also voted from overseas twice, once from NZ and once from US... one day will move to our place up the coast ... waterfront at the back and national park at the front... a small waterfall between our place and the house next door ... a small private beach .... ahhhhhhhhh Fark I wanna move now ... alas Epping is not that bad...

Back to Pinko & Gingus (as in Kwan) ... it is so hard ... honestly they have both have had IMO terrible campaigns ... I actually like my Pinko & Gingus names at least they have some colour...The last election there was an extra added bit as I voted for Maxi and voted a sitting PM out... won't feel quite the same... sorts like the time about 3 years back we won the O35 div 5 grand final in extra time off a own goal... sorta did not feel as good as actually scoring a goal...

midfielder

A Gotta watch ... who said Asians don't have a sense of humour ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ_s6V1Kv6A&feature=youtu.be

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami