• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2010 Election Predictions Thread

midfielder

Dib
joker.jpg

dibo

Mostly because claims about broken promises are thrown around as if just saying the phrase 100 times makes it true.

It's a load of cynical partisan bullshit.

Bex

And I'm not aware of the government promising anything to do with the COE and than backing down. Sure, if we're saying that labours current promise may not eventuate then I'll agree that it does remain to be seen.

However, it's a bit extreme to liken it to the chances of a high speed train project going ahead. For starters, the high speed train promise is currently limited to investigations relating to planning and geotechnical work, so they haven't really promised a high speed train at all.

Secondly, the risks of each project are worlds apart - the COE has already been approved by council and I don't think there is going to be any opposition to the project. By contrast, a fast train is something thats been discussed for decades and is about as likely as the third airport - I'll believe this one when I see it.

Anyway, I tend to believe that an election promise for funding for the COE is probably going to happen. Call me gullible I suppose.

curious

A reward for the highest 1,000 performing schools nationally, based on results. All schools will be eligible, including private. Just give it to the private and selective schools and be done with the spin.

Ms Gillard will today promise to introduce a scheme in which the top-performing 1000 schools across Australia will receive annual cash payments of $75,000 for each primary school and $100,000 per high school.

Because of the fragile nature of the budget, the Reward for School Improvement scheme will start in 2013, when the budget is forecast to first return to surplus, with 500 schools to receive rewards. In 2014, which is two elections away, the scheme will be fully operational and 1000 schools a year will be rewarded.

Primary schools will be rewarded for showing improvement in attendance, literacy and numeracy. High schools will be judged on improvement in attendance and retention, year 12 results, and how many students successfully move on to further education, training or work.

All schools, public and private, will be eligible for the rewards which will be paid directly to the school for the principals and parents to decide how to spend.

It will cost the budget $388 million in the five years from 2012-13 and $165 million in this budget cycle.

Another announcement in Darwin that will be damned by educators will remove a primary tool, and the only tool available in many cases reach many kids. It also removes exiting ability of schools to be discretionary based on circumstance of individual merit. It's to be national, but is particularly aimed at indigenous students and in practice will effect a much higher proportion of those students than others. Decide for yourself what section of voters this is directed towards, particularly when announced in Darwin.

Yesterday in Darwin, she announced a deal with eight national sporting organisations which would stop children from playing sport if they skip school. The aim is to boost retention rates and the policy has been tailored mainly for indigenous children but will apply nationally.

Announced also was en extension to the public school religious chaplain program that's succeeded in encouraging state departments to reduce and/or eliminate the already restricted amount of existing trained councilors from the system through cost cutting.
Originally a Howard policy the Labor party vigorously opposed.

She also effectively pre-empted a review of a Howard-era program that supports schools to employ chaplains by announcing Labor would extend the program until the end of 2014, and expand it at a cost of $222 million, to allow up to 1000 more schools to benefit.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-election/gillard-promises-cash-bonuses-for-top-schools-20100808-11qax.html

The more we see of today's Labor, the more it's transformed into a laborious conservative.

Arabmariner

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=276572711332&ref=ts

Just for the record I'm not an 'ironed on' Lib voter by any means.I've voted for them both in the past.

I just happen to think this particular gov are a f**kin disgrace.I wouldn't trust the pricks with my kids piggy bank.

kevrenor

Argh, I think whoever you vote for a politician will get in.

I think I will vote for that nice Sex Party lady.

dibo

If you want to go over Labor's 2007 election promises, feel free to the website as archived by the National Library. Feel free to also go to the Libs' archived site. All the parties' sites are recorded here.

The core message of Labor last time:

An education revolution

My goal is for Australia to be the best educated nation in the world. We need an education system that starts at pre-school, includes state-of-the-art trades training centres in every Australian secondary school and flows through to TAFE and university.

Balance and fairness in the workplace

I support balance and fairness in the workplace. I will get rid of the unfair WorkChoices laws and AWAs. Our unfair dismissal laws will provide special protections for small business.

A national plan to fix our hospitals

I will end the buck passing between Canberra and the States by investing $2.5 billion to take pressure off emergency departments and reduce waiting lists. If States don't cooperate I'll seek a mandate for the Commonwealth to take over delivery of health care services.

Maintaining our national security

I will work with our allies and neighbours to strengthen Australia's national security. I will negotiate the phased withdrawal of our combat troops from Iraq in consultation with our allies.

Decisive action on climate change and water

I will ratify Kyoto, set emissions targets, support clean coal technology, renewable resources like solar and wind power. I'll also act to help secure our water supplies.

A strong economy that delivers for working families

I'm an economic conservative committed to budget surpluses and maintaining the independence of the Reserve Bank - all designed to put downward pressure on interest rates. I will keep the economy strong by investing in skills and infrastructure. I'll also make sure our economy delivers for working families with policies on housing affordability and the cost of living.

They've gone through a lot of work on universities, including indexing funding after the Howard government froze commonwealth support.

On schools they introduced myschool and funded the BER program which delivered infrastructure to thousands of sites in very short order supporting jobs and improving facilities.

They repealed workchoices and implemented fair work, as promised.

The national hospital plan has been agreed to by all states after protracted negotiations.

They withdrew troops from Iraq and shifted the focus to Afghanistan, as promised.

Kyoto was ratified, there's extensive work going on with national management of water allocations particularly in the Murray Darling and the ETS was put to the parliament three times and was knocked back by the Greens and Liberals each time.

Lastly, in the face of the GFC Labor intervened with the stiumulus which kept our economy strong enough to avoid recession, and growth is now up, inflation is down and unemployment never even got above 6%. It's as close as you get to an economic miracle. And contrary to popular belief, the mining industry wasn't what saved us. Quoting the head of Treasury Ken Henry:

"The suggestion that the mining industry kept Australia out of recession is curious to say the least," Dr Henry said in Canberra today.

Dr Henry said that employment and output of the mining sector collapsed during the recent slowdown, and if all industries had shed the same proportion of workers, the unemployment rate would have reached 19 per cent.

midfielder

This election is soooooooooo boring.... it’s not dumb v dumber is .... Dull V Duller... I have totally turned off...

I am a swinging voter and have no idea who to vote for.... at least Pinnko Julia is thinking of a new tax ... as an accountant this is exciting .. more money for us poor accountants...

As i see it ... neither is worth voting for.... bring back Kevin 07.... at least he stood for something...

How do I decide who will do the least damage... can’t see either of em doing any good... see both as puppets of their factions especially Julia.... I am always aware as Machiavelli said [not an exact quote but the theme] he who comes to power of their own accord has no masters ... he who is put in power by others has many masters...

I just wish one of em or the parties would just announce some practical vision thing and show the pathway of how to get their...

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
midfielder said ..."I just wish one of em or the parties would just announce some practical vision thing and show the pathway of how to get their... "

um ,,,, don't think so. We ARE talking about politicians here ... not in their job description.

curious

I think we might have out first 'REAL' policy difference after Abbott announced the lib's Claytons national broadband network policy. Tony, why don't we save a dollar or two more and just go back to empty tin cans, lengths of string and yell till we're horse? There's a good lad. He did more stuttering and spluttering on the 7.30 report tonight than Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
I think we might have out first 'REAL' policy difference after Abbott announced the lib's Claytons national broadband network policy. Tony, why don't we save a dollar or two more and just go back to empty tin cans, lengths of string and yell till we're horse? There's a good lad. He did more stuttering and spluttering on the 7.30 report tonight than Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

+1,000,000 ....... a quote from news.com

"Mr Abbott also drew blanks on what his broadband network's peak speed of 12Mbps actually meant.

"Again, if you are going to get me into a technical argument, I'm going to lose it because I am not a tech head," he said."

Story here

lol :lol:

midfielder

Labour is out thinking libs... saying they will build the Epping to Parra rail link... the state gov has said this for the last 15 or so years ... now the Fed gov.... why the Libs never went after Sydneys poor public transport is unbelievable...

OK OK OK I understand State & Commonwealth issues but people just want it fixed and Epping to Castle Hill is the other one ... maybe connecting to the Riverstone line ....

Lab on top this week ... but still can't make up my mind... but have to say the Lab guys are out thinking the libs at this stage

hasbeen

I stopped in at the Labor Roadside Election Cafe this morning for brekkie on my way to work. "Pork(barrel) waffle with lashings of syrup."

kevrenor

Labour is out thinking libs... saying they will build the Epping to Parra rail link... the state gov has said this for the last 15 or so years ... now the Fed gov.... why the Libs never went after Sydneys poor public transport is unbelievable...

Yes, given the NSW Liberals are very much on top of transport, incl. the North West Sydney Rail Link, an Abbott - we will fund it - promise would have been expected. Problems with their economic credibility perhaps ... the Greens are looking more so that Abbott his mob.

I'll certainly take the NWSRL from the NSW government after March and Parra-Epping from the Commonwealth after next Saturday.
Even Albanese's carrot of fast rail link Newcastle-Sydney ..
Still like that Sex-Party lady though ...::)

midfielder

Yes, given the NSW Liberals are very much on top of transport, incl. the North West Sydney Rail Link, an Abbott - we will fund it - promise would have been expected. Problems with their economic credibility perhaps ... the Greens are looking more so that Abbott his mob.

I'll certainly take the NWSRL from the NSW government after March and Parra-Epping from the Commonwealth after next Saturday.
Even Albanese's carrot of fast rail link Newcastle-Sydney ..
Still like that Sex-Party lady though ...::)

Kev

Why the Libs did not get in first with the public transport issue in and around Sydney given it's the NSW Lab gov I find strange....

But who am I to judge these things I just have the shits getting about today ... everywhere I go no matter what I use car, train, bus all have problems... just want it made better... I tho this was an open invitation to the Libs ...

Still no idea but living in Epping love the idea of better train services....

Arabmariner

This must be the most frustrating election in history.

The Libs have no friggin idea when it comes to playing dirty just to get elected.Labor are all over them in that respect.

This government is there to be torn apart and I can't help thinking that Costello would have done it.

And funny how Dibo's 'what broken promises ?' and the 'big announcement' of the Parra-Epping rail link are mentioned on the same page !

;-)

northernspirit

to be fair to dibo the broken rail promises have been state labor not feds but still this is clearly an election bribe and hopefully people can see it for what it is

also, feds wont be funding it for another 4 years - after the next election cycle, thats so dodgy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred