• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

11th and 12th A-League Teams

Which bids should be given the right to play in the league as the 11th and 12th teams

• West Sydney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra

• Wollongong

• Tasmania

• Melbourne

• Other (Specify in post)

• Total voters

Jesus

Jesus
NewyForever said:
Melbourne 2 are pretty much guaranteed

West Sydney should take the 2nd license and play out of Parramatta Stadium.

Illawarra has pretty much deserted their sports teams eg Steelers, Hawks so I dont think they can support a side at the moment.

Canberra is boring so the fans should come through the gates.  However even though the raiders have been established for 25+ years they still struggle to get anything above 12k.

Tassie is not good for the league demographically.

But canberra will be playing in summer rather than the shit cold winter

marinersman

Redline said:
Brisbane Roar FC?? With a view to changing the now misleading Queensland Roar FC name?

That name change has been mooted for quite some time now. It's logical especially with two other Queensland teams now. Should have been Brisbane all along but with some other name than the Roar.

midfielder

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2009/03/17/1237054797801.html

According to this article the 11th A-League license has already gone to Melbourne and the others are fighting for the 12th.
The Tassie FC backer is one of the 50 richest men in the world, richer than Abramovich and has put a real fat cat among the pigeons by guaranteeing the $10M they need to get started.

The FFA are also considering expanding to 14 teams next year instead of 12 because some of the other bids are very good too.

The Melbourne Heart rumours are just that rumours.

Some of the board members of the Melb Hearts are ex Melb Knights people and are confident of signing Viduka for next year depending on what other offers he gets in the end of season transfer window.

Lucas Neill has already given a commitment to the second Sydney team in 2010 as well - will be very interesting times indeed.

But would we have the players or could we get them back from Europe and from Asia... also in today smh http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/a-league/aleague-the-better-socceroos-nursery-says-kalac/2009/03/20/1237526327653.html

Zeljko Kalac believes the long-term interests of the national team will be better served by having more players based in the A-League rather than at second- and third-tier clubs in Europe............

WOW who would have through all this was possible 5 or 6 years ago

Sacko

FFC Mariner said:
W Syd & Parra....................another good away trip - can we use the Woolpack plz?

We used to go there for the Spirit away days, nicely situated between the station and ground for pre / post match drinks

NewyForever

Redline said:
Brisbane Roar FC?? With a view to changing the now misleading Queensland Roar FC name?
If I was the QRFC, i wouldnt be changing it cause it would decrease their potential fan base.

Jesus said:
NewyForever said:
Melbourne 2 are pretty much guaranteed

West Sydney should take the 2nd license and play out of Parramatta Stadium.

Illawarra has pretty much deserted their sports teams eg Steelers, Hawks so I dont think they can support a side at the moment.

Canberra is boring so the fans should come through the gates.  However even though the raiders have been established for 25+ years they still struggle to get anything above 12k.

Tassie is not good for the league demographically.

But canberra will be playing in summer rather than the shit cold winter

Exactly, they will be playing in the shit hot summer.

Jorome Alexander Bennett

marinermick said:
Someone who works in trademarks has posted on the Sydney fourm that the FFA has trademarked the following names:

A-League All Stars

Does anyone else feel slightly ill at the thought of A-league All-Stars?

I'm sure there are people who nearly jizz their pants over the idea of a squad containing Fyfe, Rech and Eagleton, but the whole concept is far too hokey for my liking.

Redline

Jorome Alexander Bennett said:
marinermick said:
Someone who works in trademarks has posted on the Sydney fourm that the FFA has trademarked the following names:

A-League All Stars

I'm sure there are people who nearly jizz their pants over the idea of a squad containing Fyfe, Rech and Eagleton, but the whole concept is far too hokey for my liking.

Reeks of NBA influence.

Interesting that Neil has committed to a West Syd team for 2010...is that in writing? or a 'gentlemans agreement'?

I think expanding to from 8 to 14 teams in one hit is to big a move...unless they used it to split into two divisions...div 1 of 8 teams...the current, and div 2 of the other 6 if they get going, AND run an FA Cup style comp alongside it to increase the number of overall games...and then relegate promote top/bottom 2 or 3. Or is that just a bad idea?

dibo

Redline said:
I think expanding to from 8 to 14 teams in one hit is to big a move...unless they used it to split into two divisions...div 1 of 8 teams...the current, and div 2 of the other 6 if they get going, AND run an FA Cup style comp alongside it to increase the number of overall games...and then relegate promote top/bottom 2 or 3. Or is that just a bad idea?

there'll be a cup, that much is pretty certain, the debate is over the model. there'll be at least 12 teams and i reckon they'll push on to 14 or 16 pretty snappily too. that would take us from 27 games a season on to 33, 39 or 45. once we're at 16, i reckon a 33 week apertura/clausura would be a possibility to increase interest in the middle of the table.

the main reason is needing more games in the HAL to make it a viable way to keep players here. more teams, more games, more highly paid positions to slot socceroos into. with luck, the increased length of the season will be accompanied by an increase in professionalism on the park and in training too.

Redline

apertura/clausura...sorry...not familiar with these terms...they sound Latin though.

And I would hope it would lead to an increase in professinalism...would we also then get full time referees? Or at least one or two senior ones?

dibo

Redline said:
apertura/clausura...sorry...not familiar with these terms...they sound Latin though.

it'd be a mix of the scottish and south american systems. apertura is the opening of the season and clausura is the closing - before christmas you'd have the apertura with 15 matches and you'd have the 'christmas champions'. do your ACL spots from that competition - that way you get to have your most recent champs straight into the ACL.

then there's the clausura where you'd have the 2 divisions playing home and away against the teams in your half of the comp. that way you still get the finals, but you could have two sets (one for each division). forza more big games!

Redline

Ah that makes sense. ANd I like that idea if only because it means that years champs go to ACL...not the year after when its (potentially) a totally different team...take the Jest for example.

NewyForever

It's a stupid idea and would never work

Look at the other codes - rugby league and afl have 26 and 22 rounds respectively plus finals series

This is what the aussie sport public want to see, not some latin american garbage.

FFC Mariner

Dont we need 2 divisions with promotion and relegation to get an extra ACL spot?

Imagine if Matty's goal at the scumdome had sent them down - isnt that just a lovely thought

dibo

NewyForever said:

Look at the other codes - rugby league and afl have 26 and 22 rounds respectively plus finals series

This is what the aussie sport public want to see, not some latin american garbage.

RL has 24 rounds, and nice work on the complete lack of an argument. since when do you speak for 'the aussie sport public'?

nice work on 'latin american crap' too - scotland's not part of latin america but ignorance usually goes with xenophobia so i shouldn't blame you for missing that.

Kareem

I chose Melbourne and Canberra
Melbourne- big city- one good club- why not
Canberra- nation capital

Why not
Tasmania- too small, other priorities IMO
Wollongong- Good idea but nation capital >>> wollongong
West Syd- would choose without a doubt but for one problem- Syd FC. It would IMO destroy them which (for the league as a whole) would be a bad thing!

loyalist

NewyForever said:

newyforever protesting against dibo's plan
moran.jpg

Jesus

Jesus
Jorome Alexander Bennett said:
marinermick said:

A-League All Stars

None of those players would make an a-league all stars team. Is just a showpiece state of origin style game. Though I am not sure if they are thinking 2 a-league teams, or the a-league team to play a foreign team eg NZ.

Whatever they decide it will no doubt be first played in sydney. But if it was a 3 game SoO style thing would guess syd/melb/bris. But think it would be a one off

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred