• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

11th and 12th A-League Teams

Which bids should be given the right to play in the league as the 11th and 12th teams

• West Sydney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra

• Wollongong

• Tasmania

• Melbourne

• Other (Specify in post)

• Total voters

dibo

Bearinator said:
Arabmariner said:
Just curious.

What's with the popular Canberra vote?

It's obviously not based on the place itself.I mean take the Gold Coast for example.I think everyone wants them in for the away trip.But Canberra?? ???

Unless of course none of the Canberra voters have ever been there!

I like Canberra

Nice drive if the company is right, everything is close, its cold (i hate the heat) and it would be another awesome away trip with a few busses going down

Plus its the opposite direction to Newcastle, how can that be a bad thing?

as someone who's spent a fair bit of time in canberra, i can tell you that it's hot in summer (though dry heat, so not too bad), the stadium is in the boondocks and there's nothing nearby except for the labor club (and even that's not that close) and canberrans have a woeful record of supporting their sporting teams.

if they played out of manuka, there's a lot more to do nearby (kingston and manuka are great suburbs for pubs, restaurants and cheap accommodation thanks to the regular supply of parliamentary staff) but the ground's shit.

LFCMariners

The problem with a Western Sydney team is, where would you base it? Western Sydney is a huge area, so having the team play in one area is still going to isolate alot of people from having any sense of it being a local team.

I sure hope they aren't thinking of basing a Western Sydney team at ANZ stadium. That place has no soul for the kind of crowds the A-League gets, and I can't see people in Blacktown or Liverpool feeling any identification with a team playing at Homebush. If anything, I reckon the next Sydney team should come from the St George district. It's far enough from Sydney FC territory to have its' own identity, and the St George area has a large Greek/ Italian population who would readily take to having a local football team.

IMO, next two teams should be Canberra and Woollongong. Canberra already have a reasonably successful W-League team and it IS the nations' capital. Woollongong have the potential backers and the previous history in the NSL to go with it.

David Votoupal

Parramatta would have to be it.

I think we should see that two or more clubs in major cities/regions is the right thing to do, since every other country does it.

LFCMariners

Just having a look at Google Earth, another advantage of having a Canberra team playing out of Manuka Oval is that it is quite close to the centre of town and just up the road from the railway station, for anyone who was looking to Countrylink it down for games.

mariners4ever

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25194682-5000940,00.html

Emirati sheikh linked to Tasmania United's A-League bid
By Paul Carter
March 16, 2009 A sheikh from the oil-rich Arab Emirate of Dubai has been linked to Tasmania's bid for an A-League team.

It's a perfect fit, according to Tasmania United FC bid boss John McGirr.

The as yet un-named international man of mystery could be to Tasmania United FC what Roman Abramovich is to Chelsea, the bid boss says.

McGirr let slip about the sheikh at a news conference in Hobart to announce the Tasmanian government's $40,000 contribution to a feasibility study.

However he tantalisingly refused to reveal his identity, until later this week, leaving Tasmanian football fans wondering about the identity of this hotels and the hospitality industry tycoon.

McGirr said the serious football fan owns several teams in Africa, has owned a team in Dubai, and could be interested in adding Tasmania to his global football empire.

The mystery sheikh is being courted as a major sponsor of Tasmania United FC joining a 12-team competition in 2010/11.

"Our director of football Ken Morton is, as we speak, negotiating with a businessman in Dubai who is very, very keen to come on board," McGirr told reporters.

McGirr said the sheikh could become the sole owner of the club: "Just like (Roman) Abramovich at Chelsea."

The cost of being Tasmania's Abramovich is $6 million over three years.

Other revenue streams make up the $7.5 million per year cost of running the team which, it's been suggested, could play in front of a large, covered grandstand across an end of Bellerive Oval.

Gold Coast and North Queensland teams join the A-League next season, making a 10-team competition.

McGirr said the 11th licence has gone to a Melbourne bid.

Tasmania United FC is up against bids from Sydney, Wollongong and Canberra for the 12th A-League licence.

The national capital's bid lacks the pizzazz of a sheikh but it has scored financial backing from Victorian businesswoman Millissa Fischer who already owns Victorian Premier League side Altona Magic.

The ACT government has committed $2.5 million to its team

Tassiemariner

Better article on the tassie sheikh including maybe a name of the sheikh

http://walterplessonsoccer.blogspot.com/2009/03/sheikh-possibly-to-shake-up-tassie.html

The Tasmanian Government will contribute $40,000 to the Tasmania United A-League Taskforce to enable the group to complete a feasibility study into the viability of a team.

Michelle OByrne, the Minister for Sport and Recreation, announced the grant this afternoon.

The A-League competition will expand to 12 teams in 2010-11 and the Government is keen to ensure that Tasmania has every chance to secure a team licence in this current expansion, or when further opportunties are presented, Ms OByrne said.

Having a team in the national competition has the potential to deliver significant economic benefits to the State, as well as providing a marvellous opportunity for our young talent to play at the elite level.

The feasibility study would allow a determination to be made as to whether a Tasmanian A-League team was viable and whether the taskforce would then proceed to preparation of a full-blown business case.

Ms OByrne said the Government would consider further support once the feasibility study was completed.

The feasibility study will look at a wide range of issues, including supporter base, potential stadium facilities and costs, administrative/training facilities, and potential revenue streams such as membership, gate revenue, sponsorship, merchandising, and broadcast rights revenue.

Ms OByrne said the State Government was a strong supporter of football in the State.

We are part-way through a four-year, $800,000 package to help grow the sport at the grassroots level and to also foster both male and female players with an elite junior development program through the Tasmanian Institute of Sport.

The chair of the taskforce, John McGirr, thanked the Minister and the State Government for their support and encouragement of the endeavours by the group to secure a Tasmanian based A-League team.

McGirr also said the group would welcome any funding and said that from day one his group had seen this project as a private business enterprise.

We are not looking for any government funds to prop the deal up, McGirr said.

We would expect that we can raise the $7.5 million to run the team through private enterprise.

Our director of football, Ken Morton, is, as we speak, negotiating with a businessman in Dubai, who is very, very keen to come on board.

He is a sheikh. Hes got multiple business, mainly in hospitality and hotels.

Our football director coached against the sheikhs team.

He already owns a club elsewhere. Hes very, very passionate about the game and, as a lot of successful business people are, hes very egotistical and itd be nice just to own another club.

[What attracted him] was the fact that we are up for sale, and it is a wonderful spot.

McGirr said the sheikh had not been to Tasmania and because he had not met him he did not know what the sheikh knew about Australian football.

He did not know whether the sheikh would visit Tasmania in the near future.

I know hes pretty busy but, certainly, if he doesnt come, wed like to bring out one of his representatives, McGirr said.

A check of the Internet indicates that the sheikh McGirr is referring to is probably Sheikh Al Amoudi, who is funding the Ethiopian Football Federation and the Ethiopian national team

Morton would have encountered the sheikh while Morton was coaching in Ethiopia in the early 2000s.

Morton coached Ethiopian Electric Power Corporation Football Club (EEPCO FC).

Morton said he would reveal the sheikhs identity on Friday.

Auburn Mariner

Mmmm, do you think that the FFA would let a team play ALL their home games on an International Cricket Ground that DOES NOT have drop-in pitches? From memory, Bellerive has 8 pitches, a VERY large proportion of the centre of a potential football field.

They permit the Barrel Boys to play the New Year's game against Bling at Adelaide Oval as a one-off, but I would think that Ben and the boys would have serious issues with using Royal Bellerive on a permanent basis.

Also, Bellerive has no lights, meaning ALL day games (it must be noted that a 6.30pm kick-off in December in Hobart would NOT need any lights, even at 7.00pm, as they get magnificent late sunsets that far south).

Melbourne Hearts are locked in, it's now a decision between the six-fingered heathens, Western Sydney, Wollongong & Canberra. Wollongong for my two cents worth.

dibo

Auburn Mariner said:
Mmmm, do you think that the FFA would let a team play ALL their home games on an International Cricket Ground that DOES NOT have drop-in pitches? From memory, Bellerive has 8 pitches, a VERY large proportion of the centre of a potential football field.

They permit the Barrel Boys to play the New Year's game against Bling at Adelaide Oval as a one-off, but I would think that Ben and the boys would have serious issues with using Royal Bellerive on a permanent basis.

Also, Bellerive has no lights, meaning ALL day games (it must be noted that a 6.30pm kick-off in December in Hobart would NOT need any lights, even at 7.00pm, as they get magnificent late sunsets that far south).

Melbourne Hearts are locked in, it's now a decision between the six-fingered heathens, Western Sydney, Wollongong & Canberra. Wollongong for my two cents worth.

I'm calling Tasmania dead in the water unless they get a decent ground in Hobart or they play in Launceston.

midfielder

If they could go back in time I wonder if North Queensland would get in I think that a WS team is a must so to a second Melbourne team and the Gong especially with what Bruce Gordon and WIN corporation could bring.

Just on Bruce Gordon last year he lodged an application to take a holding in Ch 10 above 15%. Given Ch 10 owners Can West of Canada are in the financial poo  there is pressure on them to sell there holding in 10.

Now Win takes its feed from 9, so could be very interesting indeed.

As an aside in an interview about mid last year Bruce said he would negotiate directly with Fox to broadcast the A-League on his WIN network (the biggest NSW & VIC regional broadcaster).

So how do I leave out the Gong with this guy there, how do you leave out a team in Footballs heartland of WS, and how do you leave a Melbourne team based out of Melbourne heartland.

Very difficult decision if I had to choose I would go in a very close call WS & the Gong... but the  melbourne team appears to be in so its to hard to choose between two very strong applicants.

midfielder

dibo said:
Gordon denied he would bankroll the bid some time ago, doesn't seem to stop people dropping his name in though. ::)

True but WIN corp are backing the Gong.. Also he has said he wants to broadcast the A-League so he is a very good friend of football who may well end up owning 10 or at worst be as he is now the largest regional broadcaster in NSW & VIC.

dibo

midfielder said:
dibo said:
Gordon denied he would bankroll the bid some time ago, doesn't seem to stop people dropping his name in though. ::)

True but WIN corp are backing the Gong.. Also he has said he wants to broadcast the A-League so he is a very good friend of football who may well end up owning 10 or at worst be as he is now the largest regional broadcaster in NSW & VIC.

he'll be a sponsor, but people should stop going "ooh, billionaire!" he's not going to be their abramovich, so people should maybe take their hands off it when he becomes the subject of discussion.

midfielder

No its move his influence in the media and having for the first time a FTA network with a football friendly owner especially if he finishes up owning 10.

dibo

midfielder said:
No its move his influence in the media and having for the first time a FTA network with a football friendly owner especially if he finishes up owning 10.

I don't think he's football friendly as much as aware there's a business opportunity.

Just like I don't see the other networks being 'football unfriendly' as much as keen to protect their investments in other codes. The consequence of us getting bigger and more commercially attractive is that regardless of prior investments in our competitors, we become too good an opportunity to pass up.

You just watch the FFA's next TV deal - the Socceroos will be on FTA and the vast majority of the HAL on FTA, but the Socceroos alone will ensure there's some serious moula on offer from everywhere.

LFCMariners

Melbourne Hearts is the name of the second Vic team? Lord, the press are going to have a field day with that one: 'Mariners goal tears out Melbourne hearts' etc.

Southern Cross Melbourne, or Southern Cross FC would have been good names IMO. The logo could have been the 5 stars with 'Southern Cross FC' in the middle and a soccer ball pattern in the 'o' of 'Cross'. Colours could be purple, red and white.

marinermick

Someone who works in trademarks has posted on the Sydney fourm that the FFA has trademarked the following names:

Canberra United (with an emblem)
Western Sydney FC
Sydney West FC
Melbourne Heart FC
Brisbane Roar FC
A-League All Stars

NewyForever

Melbourne 2 are pretty much guaranteed

West Sydney should take the 2nd license and play out of Parramatta Stadium.

Illawarra has pretty much deserted their sports teams eg Steelers, Hawks so I dont think they can support a side at the moment.

Canberra is boring so the fans should come through the gates.  However even though the raiders have been established for 25+ years they still struggle to get anything above 12k.

Tassie is not good for the league demographically.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred