• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The end is nigh - impending doom - Moss out etc thread

the end is nigh and Moss is to blame

• yes

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • no

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • fence

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters

Big Al

I'll start an unsubstantiated rumour based on no facts but coincidence.

Was mentioned on SFC game that Arnies No 2 Dario Vidosic has left SFC. Was on leave for personal issues but then has quit saying doesn't agree with Arnies philosophy.
Was then stated Arnie won't be signing a No 2 any time soon and will leave the spot vacant for a while.

This could be to leave the roll open for his good mate and trusted No 2 Mossy. Might be a Mossy is in trouble and I could pick him up soon.

Gratis

I've moved from a Mossy supporter to fence sitter I'll admit. I'd love to think it's just a matter of time till we click into gear outside of the midfield but it hasn't 11 games on. and 4-1 doesn't suggest we're actually close either.
when does one draw the line?

true believer

I've moved from a Mossy supporter to fence sitter I'll admit. I'd love to think it's just a matter of time till we click into gear outside of the midfield but it hasn't 11 games on. and 4-1 doesn't suggest we're actually close either.
when does one draw the line?
the problem is defence now . the fact our head goes down so quickly after conceding .
our ability to stop a by-line cross is non existent .

nebakke

I've always been annoyed when the coach gets shafted when the team struggles, because the coach can't get out on the paddock; maybe shaft some of the cattle before you get another coach. Allowance must also be made for the quality of the cattle available to the coach.
That said, when you see apparent deficiencies in the game plan and team selections & in-match substitutions, that falls solely into the lap of the coach. That's what needs to be looked at when you're thinking of replacing the coach; I'm starting to feel that it's time to move the head honcho and try someone else. For sure, we can't do much worse than we're doing now. I like Mossy, but I really think it's time to go.

I entirely agree (with the first bit at least :) ), I can't remember the last time that I saw a change of coach, mid-season, actually produce anything useful, except for in those situations where there's been so much speculation and locker-room arguing going on that it settles everyone down. But for pure performance, it takes a lot more than a week's worth of training etc. in most cases.
For the same reason, I'm not entirely certain that it's time to get rid of Moss... I'm simply not sure that there's much point, may as well give him the rest of the season and see how he goes.
I agree, I think we all do, failing to put Bosnar on was a major mistake and I don't understand why he went with Sim in that way.
At the same time, prior to the WP game, we have been playing with Hutch in a much more aggressive role, I really liked the look of that setup, with Matty up the front too... I would like to see us with a back-line of Storm-boy, Posco, Rosie, Neill and Monty/Hutch in front of them, with hutch a bit further up (much to my surprise) and maybe Caceres at the top, swapping with Triff.
But it's hard to get to that if the players keep getting knocks etc... :(

midfielder

Netbake

Except his recruitment by and large has been poor and unlike previous seasons good players, will not look to come to the Coast we don't have the same feel as we have had before... Given his track record and we need to sign a few players ... remember he just resigned Sim who most respect for his hard work but see him as just making the squadie title .... Would you trust or put a better how much confidence do you have we will sign players like the Nux, SA, who have similar budgets or MV & PG ... how much confidence do we have in Phill's recruitment ..

The alternative and this has some merit, sign no one in the January transfer window... look for a new coach and let the new coach re build the squad at seasons end and hope for some improvement along the way..

The one thing our club has never done is drop their heads when things go wrong... and we do that now... my personal experience as a player and for a while involved in assisting coaches at my local club was the next step from dropping your head is the coach will lose the respect of a small group of players which leads in time to team spirit being tested and at worst a coach will lose the dressing shed ... not sure how far we are away from this but the head dropping started about 4 weeks ago for me ...

Difficult decision for MC to make and I would not like to be in his shoes ...

nebakke

Netbake

Except his recruitment by and large has been poor and unlike previous seasons good players, will not look to come to the Coast we don't have the same feel as we have had before... Given his track record and we need to sign a few players ... remember he just resigned Sim who most respect for his hard work but see him as just making the squadie title .... Would you trust or put a better how much confidence do you have we will sign players like the Nux, SA, who have similar budgets or MV & PG ... how much confidence do we have in Phill's recruitment ..

I see your point, but I guess the thing is that I still feel like recruitment comes with ups and downs.

I think Triff has real, serious potential and I think he's a decent recruit.
I'm not the biggest fan of Sim, but I don't know that I'd list re-signing him as a mistake. You need squaddies in place as well. I certainly don't see him as particularly worse than Hearfield was for example... Same thing goes for Cernak... They're not masterstrokes, but I'm not sure that they're bad choices either, all things considered.

I also think that Mané could have been an excellent signing, had there not been off-field problems and I still think that Vernes can/will deliver as he beds in.

I think Bosnar was a mistake though, definitely and Kim is obviously an increasing disappointment.

The alternative and this has some merit, sign no one in the January transfer window... look for a new coach and let the new coach re build the squad at seasons end and hope for some improvement along the way..

The one thing our club has never done is drop their heads when things go wrong... and we do that now... my personal experience as a player and for a while involved in assisting coaches at my local club was the next step from dropping your head is the coach will lose the respect of a small group of players which leads in time to team spirit being tested and at worst a coach will lose the dressing shed ... not sure how far we are away from this but the head dropping started about 4 weeks ago for me ...

Difficult decision for MC to make and I would not like to be in his shoes ...

On a whole though, I hate to admit it, but I might agree with you here... If we agree that we don't do more recruiting - except perhaps for a goalie ho doesn't panic under pressure and pass the ball to the opposition EVERY BLOODY TIME! - it might be worth a try.
The thing is, another reason why I am opposed to the change of coach as the default solution, is that we always end up seeing the same list of stragglers, and I'm just not convinced that (m)any of them are that much more of a prospect than Mossy.
If we could find someone decidedly NOT on the standard list of already failed Mariners coaches, it might be worth a try... But if the alternatives are Mike Mulvey, Miron Bleiberg or Kossie, I don't see the point... Everyone talks up Rudes as well, but at the same time the same people will go on about the gap between NPL and A-league, so why should the coaches be so much better?

Although, if team-spirit is the problem, maybe it'd be worth it to get Lawrie back in, at least for the rest of the season, to imbue some fighting will in the boys again... Of course, that'd also require MC to go I suspect ;)

Last edited:

Big Al

In some defence to Moss's disastrous recruiting he did secure some gems in Trifiro and Neil.
Neil was already here but out with knee injury
Trifiro hasn't been bad
Poscalario shows signs of being a gem
Cernak shows promise one game not seen the next couple.
Sim solid squadies who is cheap but slow as well and no longer plays where we need players
Kim has had potential but is soft as butter. Not what was promised
Mane - gone already
Vernes - has potential just not sure Mossy can get it out but showing signs of being nothing special
Bosnar - was needed at the time but maybe past it now but needs to play again to find out

I'd also go with he has ruined Duke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred