• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Rd 25: CCM v WSW - Sterj Appreciation Round

bikinigirl

. a couple of months ago when things weren't looking so rosey (pun partly intended) i suggested it was the little things that were effecting our cohesion and confidence which became a circular problem ... ie. lack of cohesion bred a lack of confidence in your teammates which brought about less cohesion and less confidence, etc, etc

. now it seems there is enough confidence that all the 'newbies' can fulfill their designated tasks it has allowed everybody to play their own role more confidently without second guessing their teammates or hesitating due to a lack of confidence in them

. a few examples as many have mentioned:
  • rose and storm (to a degree sim and seip too) pushing forward more often and with more confidence ... as a side note storm is technically superior to that bloke he replaced (evidenced by the second goal) and rosey finally had the opportunity to attack goal and correctly turn back to his MUCH favoured left foot (result: our first goal)
  • all three DMs starting to push forward whether with the ball or to press in defense (this has been most obvious with hutch recently) but has also allowed to set the midfield defensive line a little higher (and may, as a consequence, have meant less confusion for the back four). the variations on this theme may vary and appear subtle but i am sure it is all part of the plan eg. sit back and absorb the pressure on saturday then in the second half have caceres run with the ball more knowing their was fresh and experienced legs to replace him as soon as necessary
  • matty holding up the ball and wearing down their defenders in the process ... ready for the young speedsters at the end
. of course our distribution is still not great particularly the back five (compared to last season it is obvious) - lack of decisiveness is still putting reddy under too much pressure and he is not the ball player ryan is. matty is still not getting enough assistance in the early stages of the matches from his midfield and consequently we are losing many opportunities to release pressure and open the opposition

. now admittedly this is still not the team we had last year ... but confidence and competitiveness are now an asset. continuing to work on small improvements could see big dividends

Big Al

Cohesion - The ACL has been the best thing for us - More games better opposition less time to dwell on mistakes & whinge about not playing because they have all had a run.

Storm got a much needed rest - His best attacking half on Sat. night. Finally let a bomb go as well & almost beat Covic from a super tight angle. Starting to get more compossed in his choices once gets near the box. Still doesn't deliver the cross early enough but super year from the kid. After all the players we lost he is the only one playing better than the person he replaced. Great job

nebakke

I know that I'm probably wearing the Rosey glasses ;) But...
Watching some of the discussions around the Intarwebbies, I've noted a whole lot of complaints about how Western Sydney "dominated us" in the first half and should've done better etc. etc....
Thing is, I remember talking to my wife after the first half, about how I felt like not a whole lot of space had opened up for WSW during that half.. Yep, they had quite a few kicks at it, but most of them were from awkward positions or with awkward timings... I'm thinking some of that was down to tactics on our behalf.
Although, once that is said, she did note that Mooey seemed to not back himself... At least once, he received the ball right in front of goal, with our defence scrambling to get to him. Bosnar headed for him, but all he had to do was turn and shoot - it looked to me like it would have been a sure thing... But in stead, he only half turns and tries to run the ball further towards the middle, right into two Mariners.... It may just have been the angle, it may not have been as clear-cut as I thought... But it seemed to me that there were a couple of those during the game.

So, I think we definitely deserved the win, even with fewer kicks, I felt that our chances were better but I also don't think that it hurt that WSW seem to be a little down on confidence...

But as usual, my comments come with the caveat of "What do I know?" ;)

priorpeter

Heh, I was wondering how it was going to go - I thought it might have gotten cringe-worthy, until I saw how riled up they got when the Eastern Terrace responded the first time... I don't think I've ever chanted as loudly as I did when the turn came to us :) good bit of fun and it's OUR chant! ;)

I was wondering why we didn't do both sides too, we've done it before :)

I was so hesitant to do it. We've not done it in the past but on Saturday I just figured 'f**k it'. We've had enough practice now, and wow. That was certainly something. Could tell everyone was well up for it.

We tried to get both sides but it sorta just petered out. Oh well!

sydmariner

I was so hesitant to do it. We've not done it in the past but on Saturday I just figured 'f**k it'. We've had enough practice now, and wow. That was certainly something. Could tell everyone was well up for it.

:goodpost: There's always Tuesday;)

Roy Law

I know that I'm probably wearing the Rosey glasses ;) But...
Watching some of the discussions around the Intarwebbies, I've noted a whole lot of complaints about how Western Sydney "dominated us" in the first half and should've done better etc. etc....
Thing is, I remember talking to my wife after the first half, about how I felt like not a whole lot of space had opened up for WSW during that half.. Yep, they had quite a few kicks at it, but most of them were from awkward positions or with awkward timings... I'm thinking some of that was down to tactics on our behalf.
Although, once that is said, she did note that Mooey seemed to not back himself... At least once, he received the ball right in front of goal, with our defence scrambling to get to him. Bosnar headed for him, but all he had to do was turn and shoot - it looked to me like it would have been a sure thing... But in stead, he only half turns and tries to run the ball further towards the middle, right into two Mariners.... It may just have been the angle, it may not have been as clear-cut as I thought... But it seemed to me that there were a couple of those during the game.

So, I think we definitely deserved the win, even with fewer kicks, I felt that our chances were better but I also don't think that it hurt that WSW seem to be a little down on confidence...

But as usual, my comments come with the caveat of "What do I know?" ;)
You know as much as the rest of us :)
Yes, they dominated territory and possession in the first half but didn't create many opportunities - our back four are getting much better. Rose has definitely lifted with the competition provided by Matt Sim.
I loved the way we came home strong; we always used to but this season we didn't seem to have the legs. Perhaps we are timing everything just right?
And last, Hutcho's pre game gee up to his team, shown on telly, was outstanding. Really fired up.

nebakke

Mate you did an awesome job and it did indeed work well! My 9-year-old and my wife would like me to add that they fully and wholeheartedly agree, so good work.
Kind of funny how, as I noted, I think they were a large part of why it came off - their jeering and annoyance is like a balm to the soul ;)

Also, I was going to mention earlier, "We are champions" was EXTRA awesome after 2-1, I think... You could hear it echoing inbetween...

MagpieMariner

Cohesion - The ACL has been the best thing for us - More games better opposition less time to dwell on mistakes & whinge about not playing because they have all had a run.

Storm got a much needed rest - His best attacking half on Sat. night. Finally let a bomb go as well & almost beat Covic from a super tight angle. Starting to get more compossed in his choices once gets near the box. Still doesn't deliver the cross early enough but super year from the kid. After all the players we lost he is the only one playing better than the person he replaced. Great job
He wouldn't have to do too much, that person is out injured indefinitely. :) Just kidding, he is doing a great job. Pedj who?

Big Al

Mate you did an awesome job and it did indeed work well! My 9-year-old and my wife would like me to add that they fully and wholeheartedly agree, so good work.
Kind of funny how, as I noted, I think they were a large part of why it came off - their jeering and annoyance is like a balm to the soul ;)

Also, I was going to mention earlier, "We are champions" was EXTRA awesome after 2-1, I think... You could hear it echoing inbetween...
It was the first time all year we are Champions felt right.

Big Al

While they had field position that's not really dominating against CCM. We give that to every team. It's the breaking us down that would turn that possession into domination. That didn't happen.
Although that shot that Reddy got a finger nail to onto the crossbar/post top right corner could easily have gone in as could have a chance in the 2nd half that rolled a balls width wide. But we also had a couple like that.
The result could just as easily have been 2-1 WSW but that is the beauty of it. Was such a good game with either team a chance but we took ours eventually.

Mooy only likes to hit from distance on his right foot so depending on his position was always trying to get to the centre of the top of the box where our defenders got to him most times.

nebakke

While they had field position that's not really dominating against CCM. We give that to every team. It's the breaking us down that would turn that possession into domination. That didn't happen.
Although that shot that Reddy got a finger nail to onto the crossbar/post top right corner could easily have gone in as could have a chance in the 2nd half that rolled a balls width wide. But we also had a couple like that.
The result could just as easily have been 2-1 WSW but that is the beauty of it. Was such a good game with either team a chance but we took ours eventually.

It's a fair point I think - high time that it went our way for a bit :)

Mooy only likes to hit from distance on his right foot so depending on his position was always trying to get to the centre of the top of the box where our defenders got to him most times.

Actually, I wonder if that is why he kept running in that situation in front of goal... Thanks Al, that's given me something to contemplate :)

Last edited:

priorpeter

One of the few times I've had the ol' warm and fuzzies. Cheers pal.
I think we upset a few of them. That means we're doing well. Shit yeah.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred