• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R4 - Scum vs Mariners (F3 Derby)

Forum Phoenix

The players seem to have forgotten that the better football team will only win a derby if they are allowed to play football - being the referee doesn't let the other side kick and niggle you out of the game.

The refereeing was poor. Never get away with this shit in the ACL or most professional leagues in the world. I don't want our game to become soft, but it can be fair without becoming soft too. They got away with too much. Once our rhythm/football/focus was broken (which had started very brightly I thought) it took till the subs to regain our edge.

It's a legitimate tactic of the game I guess. And if you can't out skill a boxer you turn it into a street fight. We didn't bite by and large, which we can be proud of, though I confess to wanting us too - and to come away with a point and achieve a 2 nil and you f**ked it up result was pretty awesome.

sydmariner

Standard derby performance with added defensive disasters.

We didn't lift until Mile and Matty came on. In the end, we could have nicked it.

The scum are simply woeful, a park side and we gave them 2 goals.

Positives though. The away support was brilliant, best we have had up there for a while. Great to see people who choose to sit now joining in and knowing the chants.

Looks like the scum left the corp boxes above us empty, didn't see any one looking over and being dicks.
Yeah but no megaphone or drums being played:(

Last edited:

bikinigirl

The players seem to have forgotten that the better football team will only win a derby if they are allowed to play football - being the referee doesn't let the other side kick and niggle you out of the game.

The refereeing was poor. Never get away with this shit in the ACL or most professional leagues in the world. I don't want our game to become soft, but it can be fair without becoming soft too. They got away with too much. Once our rhythm/football/focus was broken (which had started very brightly I thought) it took till the subs to regain our edge.

It's a legitimate tactic of the game I guess. And if you can't out skill a boxer you turn it into a street fight. We didn't bite by and large, which we can be proud of, though I confess to wanting us too - and to come away with a point and achieve a 2 nil and you f**ked it up result was pretty awesome.

. as usual a great summary FP

. similar bullying tactics to western sydney. i can't believe that we still have a reputation for being rough. i reckon dukie will be a bit sore this morning ... the number of times he had his legs taken out from under him with a sliding kung-fu 'tackle' should have seen their numbers much reduced

. the officiating was reminiscent of the corresponding fixture last year with simple things like obvious corners not being given. i was surprised when we were awarded a penalty ... but not surprised when asked to re-take it (i hope flores has been leading remedial classes for the rest of the team at training)

. i have heard a few comments that we were terrible last night, but to borrow a phrase from bill woodfull ... only one team had an interest in playing football last night

Roy Law

The Worst Goal Ever
This was a typical F3 Derby; after the slowest of starts we were presented with the full array of dismay, tragedy, artistry, character and redemption, and sweet seduction. It was an F3 derby that will live long in the memory; in Justin Pasfield’s case the memory will probably last a lifetime.
The first half was so uneventful that the two goalkeepers could have popped down to Sleep City and had a 45 minute snooze. If the Mariners were to get anything out of this game they would have to lift the tempo; I expected Arnie to make changes at half-time but he waited until 60 minutes by which time we were two goals adrift.
Just a few miles north of the football stadium in Newcastle coal mining has left massive holes in the landscape; in the 65th minute of this game Pasfield may have wished he could crawl into one of them and hide. He had just conceded the worst goal ever conceded by the Mariners in their A-League history. It left the Mariners 2-0 down.
Sainsbury’s pass back was tame enough but somehow Pasfield completely missed the ball and it trickled under his foot, and, despite his desperate efforts, rolled over the line. Pasfield would not have been happy with his handling for the Jets first goal but this comic tragedy would have left him quite disconsolate. And Sainsbury could not be happy at an own goal to his name.
It was the Jets who came out firing in the second half; their midfield of Zadkovich, Kantarovski and Brilliante snuffing out the skills of McGlinchey, Flores and Fitzgerald. The artisan piano shifters outplayed the piano playing artistes. The first goal came from a well-worked free kick but the defence seemed to have it covered; when the shot came Pasfield blocked it but probably should have held on to it. Despite desperate scrambling the Jets full back Neville knocked the ball home. You just knew that it would be against the Mariners that the Jets would score their first goal of this season.
The Mariners’ substitutions changed the complexion of the game; Simon was immense up front, Sterjovski showed us glimpses of why he once was a regular Socceroo. Simon held the ball up and brought others into play, he harassed and bashed the Newcastle defenders, he won the ball in the air; in short his sheer physical presence and awesome enthusiasm put Newcastle on the back foot. Sterjovski was skilful and clever, beating his man, showing silky skills and sending in dangerous crosses. From one such cross Birghitti produced a fantastic full length save to deny Simon the equaliser. Flores had already pulled one back from the penalty spot.
To describe this as a simple penalty would be doing a great injustice to the charismatic Argentinean. When Chapman handled Rose’s cross there was no complaint from Newcastle; Flores coolly waited for the referee’s signal and sent Birghitti the wrong way from the spot; 2-1. But no, the referee ordered the kick retaken for one of those infringements that only a referee can see. Flores had not been having a good game but champion players always have the capacity to produce. The need to take the penalty again did not faze him; the hot-blooded Latin has ice in his veins and emphatically hit the ball beyond Birghitti.
Simon then almost equalised from Sterjovski’s cross before we saw the most seductive of skills from Flores. McGlinchey bewildered a gaggle of Newcastle’s defenders and gave the ball to Rose who gave it to Flores whose gentle but deadly pass again found Rose. It was the pass of a Casanova, of a Warren Beatty, of a George Clooney. It was John Malkovich toying with Uma Thurman in Dangerous Liaisons. He slipped it in and Newcastle was undone. Birghitti could not hold Rose’s cross and Flores hit the bar following up. The ball came out to Sterjovski, in much better form this season than last, and he slammed it into the back of the net.
There was just time for Pasfield to earn some redemption, pawing away a wicked cross cum shot from Zadkovich, and then the frenzied action packed second half came to a close.
In a game where every player bar Matt Simon and Mile Sterjovski should take a hard look at themselves I made Simon my MoM; he lifted the team and turned the game around. Pasfield unfortunately brought home all the fears that supporters hold over replacing Mat Ryan. I doubt he will be in the starting eleven next week.
And don’t ask me about the standard of refereeing...

VicMariner

Still undefeated! At a derby anything can happen, jests played the game of their season and still couldn't win so the result is not too bad. Win at home, draw away as they say.
Jaliens could of, probably should of been red carded out of the game IMO. Another game with sub standard refereeing.

bikinigirl

Pasfield unfortunately brought home all the fears that supporters hold over replacing Mat Ryan. I doubt he will be in the starting eleven next week.
And don’t ask me about the standard of refereeing...

. i hope that is not the case ... i'd prefer arnie shows the same philosophy which has served him well with his 'young guns' over the last few years ... confidence and support

. and i would hope that pasfield takes that opportunity with both hands (pun partly intended) ... has a shave and starts afresh

. oh and roy ... what do you think about the standard of refereeing? :p;)

dibo

-That 4-2-3-1 wasn't a smart move from Arnie IMO. It would have been better to start with 3 up front, go for the kill and try to get a 3 goal lead before easing off and reverting to a more defensive formation.
What are you smoking?

Wombat

Pretty ugly game. The first half was woeful.
I think we need to revert back to 442 as we were much better when we did and we now have the cattle to play that formation.
Our defensive coach needs to get back to basics with our back four. Look at the positioning of our players on their first goal.

Pasfield 5. Terrible blunder.
Storm 7. Decent game.
Rose 7. Attacked well.
Ando 6. Not in good form atm.
Tesco 7. Silly back pass for the second goal.
Weemac 7. Showed quality as times but didn't dominate.
Hutcho 7. Did his job.
Monty 8. Great game and some good passing.
Fitz. 6.5. Ok
Flores 8. MOM.
Duke 7. Worked his backside off and was fouled all night.

Simon 8. Great stuff. Needs to start.
Sterj 7.5. Good finish to salvage a point.

3pts. Flores
2pts. Monty
1pt. Simon

Well done to the yellow army. The squadrunts were a joke.....where were they?

Last edited:

dibo

I think we need to revert back to 442 as we were much better when we did and we now have the cattle to play that formation.
Eh? You know we won a championship with a 4-2-3-1, right?

What does a 4-4-2 give us? What does ditching a 4-2-3-1 cost us?

If your answer has within it "we have two strikers so it's more attacking" it's time to go back to football school.

nebakke

Meh, I've gotta say, I've been very nervous about Pasfield, but I actually still think he's been doing better than expected in general... Yes, that second one yesterday was a blunder of some proportion, but people make mistakes... If he had one of these per game, he'd (hopefully) be long gone, but as long as this is the only one, I think it's a bit much to judge him on, especially when the current alternative is Reddy...
What does he NYL keeper look like? - For now I think Pasfield has deserved a couple more chances, bearing in mind as well, how we really shouldn't be trying to pass the ball back when it's in the box with a Jester threatening as well.

dibo

You know the thing I noticed along with the obvious f**kups was that his distribution is actually pretty bloody good and his positioning and judgment is mostly pretty good. He could do with getting rid of the screwups, but he's generally been pretty good so I certainly wouldn't be rushing to drop him.

Jesus

Jesus
I dont blame pasfield too much. An accident it happens.

Hell, if any player in my team did a backpass towards the goals like that with a striker bearing down on the keeper I would be going off my nut.

First rule of the backpass is that it shouldnt be directed at the goal, because keepers are keepers because they are great with their hands, not their feet. Sainsbury would have got a mad spray from me for that one in my team.

I thought that sainsbury looked a bit casual at times with the ball, and Zac started very unsure with the ball, though grew more composed as the game went on.

But a pressure game, a young backline, is great experience for them. They will be better for it next time.

Also what was the ref smoking?

I swear last year there was a major crackdown on studs up and from behind red card challenges. Both our game and the wanderers saw 5 or 6 players get off with a yellow or a free kick, which last year would have seen them in the stands. Someone is going to get a shattered leg if this keeps up, that young guy from adelaide is lucky his career wasnt destroyed with a horrible tackle friday night

MrCelery

You know the thing I noticed along with the obvious f**kups was that his distribution is actually pretty bloody good and his positioning and judgment is mostly pretty good. He could do with getting rid of the screwups, but he's generally been pretty good so I certainly wouldn't be rushing to drop him.

I'll have some of those drugs Dibo. Pasfield's distribution is probably the worst part of his game. To be fair though, it's hard to distribute when your teammates hide from you. Agree that dropping him is not the answer.

eenfish

People saying we need to get away from the 4-2-3-1 are laughing. It is our best formation and what won us the title

People saying we need to replace Pasfield are laughing. Even the best keepers mess up every once in a while. If it becomes a regular thing then by all means go on, but JP has saved our assess many times this season.

priorpeter

Yeah but no megaphone or drums being played:(

Didn't need a mega, I'm used to shredding my throat to bits when we go up there. Have not been allowed a mega in there for as long as I can rememeber. Drum would've been nice but I only found out we weren't going to have one about 5 minutes into the game.

Travelling support was fantastic for the most part last night, cheers to all who got involved.

LFCMariners

What are you smoking?

Nothing, I'm sober. Mariners had the strike power to net a couple of goals early on, I don't understand why GA started with a more defensive formation against a team who were going to rely on defence to have a chance in the game. If he'd put more players up front there's a good chance they could have got 2 or 3 first half goals and snuffed the Jest out mentally. Then perhaps revert to a more defensive formation in the second half and seal the game.

LFCMariners

Pretty ugly game. The first half was woeful.
Our defensive coach needs to get back to basics with our back four. Look at the positioning of our players on their first goal.

Pasfield 5. Terrible blunder.
Storm 7. Decent game.
Rose 7. Attacked well.
Ando 6. Not in good form atm.
Tesco 7. Silly back pass for the second goal.
Weemac 7. Showed quality as times but didn't dominate.
Hutcho 7. Did his job.
Monty 8. Great game and some good passing.
Fitz. 6.5. Ok
Flores 8. MOM.
Duke 7. Worked his backside off and was fouled all night.

Simon 8. Great stuff. Needs to start.
Sterj 7.5. Good finish to salvage a point.

3pts. Flores
2pts. Monty
1pt. Simon

Well done to the yellow army. The squadrunts were a joke.....where were they?

There were a few Jest fans bagging the Yellow Army for their numbers last night on social media, believe it or not. It had me wondering if they actually bothered to wait and check the away supporters bay before going on their usual "Gypos- shit support, no passion" jibes. One Jest fan had the gall to ask "Where were your fans tonight?" I suggested he watch the match replay and pay attention to the abundance of yellow in the away bay, as the answer to his question.

I can understand their desperation though, poor dears. Over the past 12 months they've had to clutch at straws that, one by one, slipped through their fingers. They thought that, even after 21/4/13 and our ACL finals campaign, they'd at least still have the 'Your support is shit!' argument to fall back on. But even that got cancelled out with our away showing last night. And they blew a 2-0 lead. And GVE probably saved his job in spite of f**king up that lead. That goon sack must be taking a hammering up in Newcastle right now...

Wombat

Eh? You know we won a championship with a 4-2-3-1, right?

What does a 4-4-2 give us? What does ditching a 4-2-3-1 cost us?

If your answer has within it "we have two strikers so it's more attacking" it's time to go back to football school.

We won a championship because there were only two teams last season that could play Football. We played that set up because we didn't have the right personnel to play our old structure anymore.

You understand that we would have won a Championship with 442! In fact I expect we would have done the double with a couple of weeks to spare.

4231 is creating very few chances.

We don't look like a side that is going to win the comp with that formation.

Last edited:

eenfish

We won a championship because there were only two teams last season that could play Football. We played that set up because we didn't have the right personnel to play our old structure anymore.

4231 is creating very few chances.

We don't look like a side that is going to win the comp with that formation.

Hey now, we're doing better after four rounds this year than we were at the same point last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred