• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners squad HAL 10 ~ 2014/15

VicMariner

We need a top drawer striker.
Mike Mulvey is jetting off to Europe to find a replacement for Berisha, how ambitious is our recruitment going to be???

Smeltz and Thompson haven't been impressive this season, a successful club like the Mariners should be aiming higher.

VicMariner

Mulvey's got the Bakrie family pouring in cash. We've got Charlesworth pinching pennies and complaining about the rent.
A gun striker kicking goals for fun and winning games will soon be a crowd favourite and be packing them through the gate and selling memberships. You have to spend money to make money.
Sitting on our laurels with an average season or two will help nobody, MC's bottom line included.
Memberships and attendances are already a bit of an issue. We can't afford to be mediocre.

dibo

A gun striker kicking goals for fun and winning games will soon be a crowd favourite and be packing them through the gate and selling memberships. You have to spend money to make money.
Sitting on our laurels with an average season or two will help nobody, MC's bottom line included.
Memberships and attendances are already a bit of an issue. We can't afford to be mediocre.
We can't afford to be diluting our biggest strength (our strongly parochial support) either, but try telling MC. See my latest post in the relocation brawling thread.

gull

Interesting to note that Sterjovski was hardly setting the world on fire when at Perth, but improved a lot in our team.

I wonder if it would be the same case with Smeltz?

VicMariner

Interesting to note that Sterjovski was hardly setting the world on fire when at Perth, but improved a lot in our team.

I wonder if it would be the same case with Smeltz?
Possibly. 4 goals in 13 appearances. If he played the full season, maybe 8. Not too bad but I'd want more from our main striker.
What worries me is he's 32 and could be on the way down. He was injured off and on during the season and only played in 13 games. We have already been paying for an injured striker for two years. I just don't think he's worth the money or the risk.

VicMariner

I reckon Richard Porta is worth having a look at.
He's won the golden boot playing in Uruguay so he knows how to score and he wants to play for Australia so he'd probably jump at the chance to play here and show his stuff.

Wombat

He sounds great but he only lived here for 1 year so his ties here are not very strong apart from the fact he was born here to non Aussie parents.
Why would he want to come here?
Can he speak English?
Is the Uruguayan league bigger than ours?

VicMariner

He sounds great but he only lived here for 1 year so his ties here are not very strong apart from the fact he was born here to non Aussie parents.
Why would he want to come here?
"he wants to play for Australia so he'd probably jump at the chance to play here and show his stuff."
Can he speak English?
Who cares? IIRC Patricio Perez couldn't. He was good enough to sign.
Is the Uruguayan league bigger than ours?
I don't know if it's bigger but I would think the standard is higher.

Wombat

I just read his grand parents and brother still live in Sydney so that would help.
He certainly knows how to score goals.

Kareem

He's won the golden boot playing in Uruguay so he knows how to score and he wants to play for Australia so he'd probably jump at the chance to play here and show his stuff.

He is turning 31 in August!

I don't see why he would finally get a look in for the national team.

He has had an inconsistent career...and he is past his prime

In the past I have wanted Verbeek or holger to give him a chance...show what he could do...but that was back when he was 25 to 27 years old...

And why would we give a chance to a 31 year old debutant instead of developing a range of talented youngsters including juric, duke and taggart

We would be better off giving a chance to the forgotten youngsters like babalj, ibini and belut

So I think porta has zero chance of ever playing for Australia at 31!

But if he was willing to come here for a decent wage (100k absolute max)...and was motivated, I would take him.

I just don't know what other motivation he would have to come here, since we wouldn't be giving that much money.

true believer

im a big fan of whats do-able . and while im not chortling about smeltz, he fits the bill.
better than off side archie and a maybe balludo playing in uruguay

VicMariner

He is turning 31 in August!

I don't see why he would finally get a look in for the national team.

He has had an inconsistent career...and he is past his prime

In the past I have wanted Verbeek or holger to give him a chance...show what he could do...but that was back when he was 25 to 27 years old...

And why would we give a chance to a 31 year old debutant instead of developing a range of talented youngsters including juric, duke and taggart

We would be better off giving a chance to the forgotten youngsters like babalj, ibini and belut

So I think porta has zero chance of ever playing for Australia at 31!
I don't think he will ever play for the Socceroos either and I didn't say he should.

But if he was willing to come here for a decent wage (100k absolute max)...and was motivated, I would take him.

I just don't know what other motivation he would have to come here, since we wouldn't be giving that much money.
The motivation is he wants to play for the Socceroos and playing in Oz will get him on the radar.
For this reason I think we would have a good chance of signing him.

VicMariner

im a big fan of whats do-able . and while im not chortling about smeltz, he fits the bill.
better than off side archie and a maybe balludo playing in uruguay
You don't know what's do-able until you have a go.
We should have some self-belief. We are a successful club and should act like it. We should aim sky high because if there is any club that can do the impossible it is the Mariners.
Everyone else sells us short, I'm not going to do it.

When will MC realise that we are the most successful club in the league? He needs to be touting this club to the top end of town for sponsorship.

Businesses like ANZ, Telstra, Macquarie Bank, etc.

I know our stadium is a long way from the harbour, but it is our little team that's been in 4 GFs and 7 times out of 9 to the finals series! ACL 4 times (possibly a 5th next year). We are the club to sponsor if you want to see your name on TV in Asia!

eenfish

I'll agree with this.

When will MC realise that we are the most successful club in the league? He needs to be touting this club to the top end of town for sponsorship.

Businesses like ANZ, Telstra, Macquarie Bank, etc.

I know our stadium is a long way from the harbour, but it is our little team that's been in 4 GFs and 7 times out of 9 to the finals series! ACL 4 times (possibly a 5th next year). We are the club to sponsor if you want to see your name on TV in Asia!

Most successful club, but smallest fan base. We don't get the paper space or TV time the Wanderers or even the Sky Poos get. Unless someone wants to particularly market the Central Coast then I doubt we'd get a big sponsor. If the best WSW can get is NRMA, I think we do quite well with Masterfoods and Westinghouse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred