• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners squad HAL 10 ~ 2014/15

Gratis

So Liam Rose and Anthony Kalik, from the squad yesterday, would go to the UK "for experience and game time"? Together with Tom Slater and Dejan Pandurevic? The last two admittedly haven't had any 1st. team game time yet. I dunno, quid pro quo won't seem to work for us in sending away much of our good youth players. That's why they get a run in the senior team occasionally, to gain experience as they grow up. Why would another club from a (ahem) better and more competitive league use our youngsters just to give them experience and game time against senior players? Doesn't make sense to me. :confused:
EDIT: Oh yes, and Josh Bingham too?
i got the impression it was more one-directional, i.e. the main focus beiing Everton U21's -> Mariners first team and not the other way around. these boys wouldn't be cracking Everton's first team so get to play first team professional games in Aus. and if we had any Amini type players showing potential then Everton might look at them

nebakke

So Liam Rose and Anthony Kalik, from the squad yesterday, would go to the UK "for experience and game time"? Together with Tom Slater and Dejan Pandurevic? The last two admittedly haven't had any 1st. team game time yet. I dunno, quid pro quo won't seem to work for us in sending away much of our good youth players. That's why they get a run in the senior team occasionally, to gain experience as they grow up. Why would another club from a (ahem) better and more competitive league use our youngsters just to give them experience and game time against senior players? Doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

I think the perceived value is different for the clubs... Which doesn't make it any less valuable though, obviously.
Some of their youth players get first team action in a lesser league but in a setting where there's some perceived value in winning the game, rather than a sense of more-than-practice-less-than-top-flight if you get my drift... So they'll be playing against teams who are fighting for a trophy and they get the experience of playing in a relatively competitive league, which in turn gives Everton an opportunity to see how they respond 'under fire' so-to-speak.
For us, it gives us access to a group of youth players, some of which could potentially be hanging for a first-team experience and are better than some of our first team players.

For both teams, it provides a potential pathway for both sets of youth players. For Everton, they get first bite at our young 'uns, so when the next Amini or Sainsbury comes through, they get to have a look before any of the other clubs come racing in .
The next Amini or Sainsbury is more likely perhaps, to go our way when offered a youth contract, because they know that Everton is actively looking at our boys and, presumably, someone like Walmsley would send through updates and recommendations as well.
It will likely also give us first bite on any players that Everton decide doesn't suit their needs etc... Not saying that they'll necessarily come this way, but imagine a player of a Broich-type history. A youth player that people expected much of, but who never really quite cut it in the English system... He might come and play here as a development player, for Everton to have a look at how he develops. They might then decide that he was not relevant for their first team and we might want to keep him on - gives an opportunity for a good deal there...

Etc. etc. etc... The opportunities are definitely there, at the end of the day yes, it's all paper deals really... But that's what makes the world go around.
Moreso, it might give opportunity for cooperation behind the scenes, as Dibo pointed out... Hiring excess staff, strategy discussions etc. etc....

go you yellow

i'd like to see this too. Cernak would also be playing out of position but seems a better choice as a fill-in no.9 than Fitzy who can be quite good on the wing himself

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Fitzy, I always liked him but his decision making lets him down time and time again. ( he went close a couple of times on Sun but thats just it - he is always close but cant convert ) I think his time at 9 is over and I would start Major or Bingham who can finish, for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

nearlyyellow

I think the perceived value is different for the clubs...
( snipt for brevity )​
Etc. etc. etc... The opportunities are definitely there, at the end of the day yes, it's all paper deals really... But that's what makes the world go around.
Moreso, it might give opportunity for cooperation behind the scenes, as Dibo pointed out... Hiring excess staff, strategy discussions etc. etc....
Thanks nebakke, that starts to make sense now. I needed someone to put the kybosh on my uneducated sense of what advantages to CCM there are, and you have.

nearlyyellow

So, this information comes from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Coast_Mariners_FC#Affiliated_clubs

Affiliated clubs
Through an investment in the Mariners by Sheffield United the club has the following international affiliations:

In addition, the club has a player development partnership with the following international clubs:

We have discussed the partnership with Everton so leaving that aside:

Does the investment by Sheffield United still exist?

In view of the affiliation with the above four clubs has CCM gained any advantages re player exchanges from that affiliation for however long it has existed? Apart from SU's investment of course, if it still exists. Anyone know how large that investment is?

Atomic

We got Monty from SU... and also Nicky Travis (who has bucket loads of skill, but poison in the dressing rooms appraently).

Gratis

if we get nothing from Sheffield other than Monty we've won from that relationship big time

I'd add the that Walmsley's network now much wider network having worked for them directly

MagpieMariner

Apart from Monty (agree we're way in front just from him), I'd say we've had nothing from SU. Remember Arnie's comments when they offered him a coaching gig? He effectively called the club a bunch of losers.

Atomic

Didn't seive play there briefly so did Marc warren
Siep passed through there... only had six appearances according to wiki, so I dont think we can count that as part of the SU/CCM relationship.
Marc Warren is a CCM player who went over there on a trial with Sainsbury, if my memory serves me correctly. They choose Warren over Sains... just shows what a clusterf**k they are... lol.

Wombat

I don't think any of our players will go over there unless they are "amini" standard prospects. Everton will get first dibs on any quality players we unearth.
In return we will get to blood some of their fringe or youth team players to see, if as Dibo says, they can hack it with the big boys.
It's a win win but a bigger win for us IMHO.

Tassiemariner

Siep passed through there... only had six appearances according to wiki, so I dont think we can count that as part of the SU/CCM relationship.
Marc Warren is a CCM player who went over there on a trial with Sainsbury, if my memory serves me correctly. They choose Warren over Sains... just shows what a clusterf**k they are... lol.

I'm sure somewhere in the deep bowels of this forum there is a photo of Sains in a SUFC shirt? Or maybe that was Redmayne?

Roy Law

Gallagher, Sainsbury and Warren all went on trial; SU -who had a very successful youth team at the time - only kept Warren.

Roy Law

Wilko did some marvellous last ditch defending against Germany - I can't wait to see him back in Mariners' colours. Please!

nebakke

Wilko did some marvellous last ditch defending against Germany - I can't wait to see him back in Mariners' colours. Please!

That certainly would not be an unwelcome approach to recovering some of the club spirit, going with Matty and Hutch while also obtaining a good, stable CB :)
While we're dreaming - If that did happen, would he regain the Captaincy? Or would it still go to Monty?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred