• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners squad HAL 10 ~ 2014/15

yellowcake

I'm sorry to see him go but I am prepared to leave those with more knowledge than me in the club to determine our best way forward.

I'm proud to have seen him in the Lightning and then develop from an "angry wasp" making life difficult for defenders but without anything to show for it on the scoresheet until his 3rd season with us, to a relatively efficient striker. I'm glad I saw his first A-League goal up in Newie - what celebration, in spite of it being negated by a Joel Griffiths injury-time pen and his brace in his farewell match (yes, we have had that before he left to chase fame and fortune in the K-League in 2012), overshadowing the presence of the great HK in Gosford.

I loved his chasing every lost cause attitude - and saw a few goals result too. A few other players could take note (Fitz, I'm looking at you)

We've been selling ourselves for years, as the 'local club' the 'club with a pathway' - the 'youth development club'. Part of that is is playing and developing local talent while also showing them that there is a direction and a place for them.
You know, I think as that's Matt's story to a tee and he's benefited from contracts over 8 seasons and at least had a crack at launching an overseas and international career from here, he's a demonstrable example and noone can criticise the club's contribution to that. Are you saying a local product can never be let go? Calculating from CC vs national population and the number of contacted A-League players, realistically it'd be unlikely that there'd be more than 2-3 from the Coast at any time.

...there's also something to be said for playing local - otherwise we might as well go to NSO or wherever else they want to send us...
Oh, really? :rolleyes:

nebakke

I'm sorry to see him go but I am prepared to leave those with more knowledge than me in the club to determine our best way forward.

I suppose this is one of the big differences ;)... I'm dead-certain that there's more expertise in the club than what I have - you'd hope so... I'm just not convinced that the expertise is being allowed to rule and that's problematic.

I loved his chasing every lost cause attitude - and saw a few goals result too. A few other players could take note (Fitz, I'm looking at you)

I'm a big fan of Fitzy's - in spite of his targeting issues, but I'm convinced he'll get past that... But this is sort of my point. Matty's had fewer starts than any of the other options we currently have up front - and also than the one option we recently sold - and he's scored more goals than any of them.
He's not a spring chicken anymore, but at 28 he's also not _OLD_ for a footballer. Unless of course money was the issue, I don't see why we'd get rid of him.

Are you saying a local product can never be let go? Calculating from CC vs national population and the number of contacted A-League players, realistically it'd be unlikely that there'd be more than 2-3 from the Coast at any time.

Not at all, I'm saying that a local product, that's performing better than most of the team, shouldn't be let go...

Oh, really? :rolleyes:

Yes really :(... I realise that I sound like I'm throwing a dramatic tantrum, but at the core of it is the reasoning that, if the club is going to let go of some of the things that have set it apart the most, over the last 10 years, why bother keeping it somewhere that they feel it's difficult to make a profit?

It goes hand-in-hand with my argument around probably not following a North Sydney Mariners team if they were moving... Football tends towards territorialism and certainly, I follow the Mariners because they're my local team and they have a history of a culture that I can support.
If they move somewhere else and abandon that cultural creed, why would I still follow them? In that situation, it's just a name...

style_cafe

I remember Matty playing for Lightning against Macarthur. He was a dead set pain in the arse, as he never gave up on anything & would niggle all game.
A few years later when I moved up here & he got a start with the Mariner`s, I still didn`t rate him.
He took a long time to settle in & as he did he grew on me as a player.
He matured & became the essence of the coast, the battler who wouldn`t give in.
He inspired the crowd, the team & individual players.
I`m sad to see him go.I think in this day & age in the A League an injured player is a liability.
Matty has been treated well by the club over the years & he has equally served the Mariner`s well.
I hope, at the end of our 10years , Matty gets the respect he deserves with a fitting send off.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Read that too Atomic....how would our salary cap / visa spots go with an influx of multiple Evertononians ?

Atomic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but its 5 visa spots per squad. We have Monty, Fab and Vernes… that leaves two. I'd be happy enough for two Toffies to take those spots… a striker and a CB. Maybe if the Aussie mentioned in the article was included, that could be a recruit without taking a visa spot.

Don't know about Vernes future. Looks to have plenty of potential, but unfit as f**k… and injured of course. Perhaps ship him out to free up another visa spot. Attacking Mid anyone?

pjennings

We have 2 people out until the end of the season. I wouldn't mind getting hold of Brendan Galloway and Chris Long as injury cover this season to see how they fit in.

Big Al

Shattered

While he has been injured a lot when on the field the service he has received has been horrible.

He received one through ball along the carpet and he buried it. Janko would have 3 goals as well if played for us.

We have been shit all year. No striker could survive on the lack of service offered all year.

Would have liked to see him work with Fabio.

We need Cb striker and attacking mid.

As far as players that the fans can identify with he'd be 2nd behind hutch. People will go watch Simon no mater what and be pretty happy with his effort alone.

Monty will be left as our only recognisable effort guy next year

Wombat

I suppose this is one of the big differences ;)... I'm dead-certain that there's more expertise in the club than what I have - you'd hope so... I'm just not convinced that the expertise is being allowed to rule and that's problematic.

I'm a big fan of Fitzy's - in spite of his targeting issues, but I'm convinced he'll get past that... But this is sort of my point. Matty's had fewer starts than any of the other options we currently have up front - and also than the one option we recently sold - and he's scored more goals than any of them.
He's not a spring chicken anymore, but at 28 he's also not _OLD_ for a footballer. Unless of course money was the issue, I don't see why we'd get rid of him.

Not at all, I'm saying that a local product, that's performing better than most of the team, shouldn't be let go...

Yes really :(... I realise that I sound like I'm throwing a dramatic tantrum, but at the core of it is the reasoning that, if the club is going to let go of some of the things that have set it apart the most, over the last 10 years, why bother keeping it somewhere that they feel it's difficult to make a profit?

It goes hand-in-hand with my argument around probably not following a North Sydney Mariners team if they were moving... Football tends towards territorialism and certainly, I follow the Mariners because they're my local team and they have a history of a culture that I can support.
If they move somewhere else and abandon that cultural creed, why would I still follow them? In that situation, it's just a name...

It can only be a money issue.
Personally I'm very sad to see him go. I sat in bay 16 in his first season with my wife (who no longer goes but is a half decent judge.....1 game all season this year) telling me.....this bloke will never score. I believed her until he finally slotted a few and then I was a fan.
Now I see his quality on and off the pitch.
Our service and treatment of him as a centre forward has been disgusting.
I think at least 3 HAL clubs will try and snap him up.

AuzDutchy

WSW don't have any big target man type strikers in their squad, and the thought of Juric-Simon-Rukavystya is pretty scary

MrCelery

midfielder

Correct me if I'm wrong, but its 5 visa spots per squad. We have Monty, Fab and Vernes… that leaves two. I'd be happy enough for two Toffies to take those spots… a striker and a CB. Maybe if the Aussie mentioned in the article was included, that could be a recruit without taking a visa spot.

Don't know about Vernes future. Looks to have plenty of potential, but unfit as f**k… and injured of course. Perhaps ship him out to free up another visa spot. Attacking Mid anyone?

The article indicates one of the player is Australian playing at junior international level for Wales...

Jones was born and raised in Western Australia and joined Everton at the age of 12. A right fullback or central defender, he made his senior debut for Everton by coming off the bench against FC Krasnodor in a Europa League match in December

AuzDutchy

Eh? Juric is basically Simon but younger, with better touch and fewer injuries.

Not really a target man in the traditional sense, more a bruiser, better with his feet than his head, Simon on the other hand is all Head and barely any feet, but 100% effort, Juric hasn't got the workrate

midfielder

Looking at the article and the three players...

A centre back, a striker and a right back... shows why the talk of Anderson and Storm going could depend on if these players come ... Jones if assumed Australian could replace Storm and open up a visa spot, maybe Vernes could be let go and we sign the other two... ...

If we get this quality of player then I assume the quality of the coach will have to match ...

Kenny is an England Under-18 international who can play at centre back, right back and in centre midfield.

Zimbabwe-born Galloway is a centre half who can also play in midfield. The 19-year old has already played first-team football with MK Dons and has represented England at junior international level.

Jones was born and raised in Western Australia and joined Everton at the age of 12. A right fullback or central defender, he made his senior debut for Everton by coming off the bench against FC Krasnodor in a Europa League match in December. Despite his Australian links, the 19-year old has represented and captained Wales at Under-17, Under-19 and Under-21 levels

Gratis

for interest http://outside90.com/312caceres-focused-on-central-coast/

Playmaker Anthony Caceres focused on the Central Coast Mariners
By Nick Amies on March 20, 2015

He is quietly establishing himself as one of the A-League’s best prospects. However, when some would be looking to engineer a move abroad, Central Coast’s Anthony Caceres is concentrated on developing his game.

“To be honest, I haven’t really thought that far ahead (leaving the Mariners),” Caceres said when speaking exclusively to Outside90.

“But if I do get the opportunity to go to Europe I’d love to go.”

The 22-year-old initially made a name for himself as a holding-midfielder, but the departures of Marcos Flores and Kim Seung-yong have allowed Caceres to make the No.10 role his own at Central Coast Stadium.

“I personally enjoy playing higher up the field. I base my game around having the ball, and I think I’m most effective when I’m trying to create things in and around the box.”

“But I don’t mind my defensive duties, if I have to drop back for a game or two I believe I can do the job there as well.”

Caceres is a great admirer of Argentine great Juan Roman Riquelme, who is considered to be one of the best playmakers of his generation.

“I believe he dictated play brilliantly and the game was always at his pace. His technique and ability to pick a pass was always second to none. He was probably my main idol growing up.”

However, to further emulate his idol, he will need to find the back of the net more regularly. Riquelme scored 123 goals in 495 appearances at club level, but the Mariners number ten only netted for the first time this season against Adelaide last week.

“I definitely see it as an area where I can improve. Everyone wants to score as many goals as possible, and you know I don’t think there’s a better feeling than celebrating a goal with your teammates.”

Caceres’ goal against Adelaide was the result of a new high-pressing style implemented by interim head coach Tony Walmsley, and the Mariners will be looking to use it again this Sunday against Perth Glory.

“We’re looking to be more positive for the rest of the season and end on a good note.” He said.

“By doing that we want to take the game to teams, make them worry about us and go out and attack.”

Central Coast are currently stranded in eighth place on the ladder, and anything but a win would signal the end of their top six hopes.

“I think in the back of our minds we do hope to sneak in (to the finals), but realistically it’s going to be very tough,” Caceres said.

“So our focus at the moment is, like I said, ending on a good note, putting in some good performances and entertaining the fans.”

Look out for the rest of our exclusive interview with Anthony next week on Outside90.

Roy Law

Contrary to most opinions on here I think Matt Simon was extremely fortunate to get a contract for this year. I believe he got an automatic extension based on the number of appearances, when it should have been based on the number of goals. He was at his best in 2012 and hasn't come near that since. It would appear the club's valuation of his services (perhaps Charlesworth wanting value for money) does not match his own; fair enough. He may rock up at another A League club but I don't see him staying in the A League much longer. He thrived as a Mariner within the Mariners culture, I don't see him thriving elsewhere. It is sad, of course, because he epitomised what the local Coastie spirit was all about, but I believe his time has come and it is time for all to move on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred