• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM V Jests 30th Nov

nearlyyellow

Fark......it's going to be a long season.
Could be our first ever wooden spoon.
No No, that's already got WSW engraved on it. ;)
Still draws will be enjoyable so let's enjoy that !?! ?!
It's the *game* that matters, right? :) Follow the team, no matter what. (Remember, I was a North Sydney Bears supporter, I'm used to following a team with (ahem) a few losses on the card :( )

Reactions: adz

dibo

I thought we out-thought them and out-played them. Carney was by far their best, and Montano was a threat, but other than that they were a pretty tired and sorry looking lot.

Mossy absolutely made the right call on Flores. Trifiro is more active, more tenacious and a better user of the ball. He's not as pretty and he's not as slick, but his passes stick and he gets into space well.

Was nice to see Bingham get a run but he was trying a little too hard and looked a little lost. On the other hand, if he had stuck that attempted overhead into Birighitti's net on debut we'd be building a statue of him outside Graham Park.

Anderson had a much improved game, his use of the ball was measured and at times incisive, a big leap from some past weeks, and as unlikely as it seemed a few weeks back Rose is making a good fist of CB. I think our back 4 looks pretty decent.

This has a really important flow-on effect that is going to pay dividends.

What was the defining feature of our play yesterday? Lots of ball and getting men down the flanks.

How were we able to do that? By having the ball securely in our possession to encourage people to make attacking runs. This opened up options for positive forward passes and we created chances.

This starts (as I've said on here a number of times) from having the centre backs and the keeper comfortable to play the ball between themselves, and through Hutch being able to secure possession.

A couple of times yesterday we'd play up one flank and the options would close off, so we'd play the ball backwards again. What happened next was what matters for us going through the season.

Instead of locking the ball in at CB and wondering what to do with it, as play was stopping on one flank there'd already be movement on the other. We'd take advantage of the space created as the Jets' defence slid over and then play two or three quick passes to put someone in the gap behind.

If a midfield player was caught in a tight space in an attacking area, we actually showed a bit of courage to try to either beat the man or play through the pressure. *Big* hat tips to both Fitzy and Vernes because this meant they had to try to close us up tight, but then that left them exposed if we pivoted to the other flank through Trifiro and Caceres.

As a result, we also got to the goal line more times than I can count and probably more than all the games this year combined, where the final pass or cross was often missing.

You can see a progression though - back four has been largely sorted (though attention to detail still needs work), the midfield is really coming together, now it's the front third we work on.

The result wasn't what we wanted, and to be honest there were enough chances at both ends that the result could've been anything, but the football was very encouraging.

localpom

Seems Mossy might have made the right choice re Flores. Pity his choices of replacement weren't as good.
Would have been tough to take if he had scored the winner. As it was he fluffed the chance and looks like Mossy has made the right decision there.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
that had to be one of the flattest derbys I can remember, we had 255 odd passes in the first half..255......and against a gutless toothless sum we manage a draw....a prime example of how blunt our sharp end is ...however cudo's to Richie Vernes for a improving work rate.....any idea why Stormy wasnt on the bus?....and where was Hutcho, his usually in everything in the derby, I think i saw him on tele about 5 times yesterday and not a yellow card in any of them, I mean thats good BUT Hutch, did you leave your mongrel at home

Bingham should of come on at halftime, Sim should of been at the pub watching the game sitting next to Zac......och well...NSO here we come

localpom

Think we are heading in the right direction. It has been a bit of a shambles so far but the last 3 or 4 games at least have seen a more settled side and players starting to gel. We are playing better for longer periods. We still lack bite in the final third, hopefully Matty can provide that but i feel we will need get a couple more players in order to make an impact this year. There is still a massive amount of improvement to come from this side when you look at the players that are in the match day squad. Due to their age or inexperience at this level we should see continued improvement from Poscoliero,Neill,Ando,Storm, Cass,Tricky,Cernak, Fitzy,Sim. Rosey will get better each game as he gets used to playing at CB. Vernes is obviously quality...is yet to match fit and i'm looking forward to seeing him in 3 or 4 games. Matty will be back next week hopefully and gives us another option up front. Dukey needs a goal or 2 to get his confidence back. If and how well we replace Mane will be a major factor for our prospects this season and what to do with Kim? Not all doom and gloom but we are missing firepower.

Wombat

Not a completely horrible performance although our off the ball movement is the worst I have ever seen in 10 years.
The commentators summed us up quite nicely.
The woodwork was our friend but a draw was a fair result. The back four are very shaky but held their shape a bit better.

Reddy 6. Did ok.
Posco. 6. I like his work rate and aggression but got badly skinned a few times and someone tell him not to grab your opponents shirt in a crucial position. Still very raw.
Zac 6. Improving.
Rose 6. Not bad.
Neill 7. Our best defender tonight and good going forward. Got an assist.
Fitzy 6. Worked really hard and had a real go but decision making still a worry.
Hutcho 6. Steady. One lovely pass.
Vernes 7. Good game and good goal.
Caceras 7.5. His best game of the year for me.
Trif 6. Did ok.
Duke 5.5. Worked hard but played out of position again.

Subs...
Sim 4. Kim must be shaking his head.
Cernak 6. Looked quite calm and controlled.
Bingham 6. Looks a decent prospect.

style_cafe

After watching Neil for the past few weeks I`d be signing him to a 10 year contract.
He is one of the best young prospects I`ve seen at the Mariners.
His defence is tight, he is calm, aggressive when going forward & has that instinct to sniff out a goal with some clever crosses.
I think he could easily be joining our growing number of overseas stars in a few years.

Gratis

just on the lack of intensity - keep in mind the temp was in the 30's and high humidity. they switched it on after the goal but would have been hard to keep up 90 minutes worth. not an excuse but a factor

tsd

Not a completely horrible performance although our off the ball movement is the worst I have ever seen in 10 years.
The commentators summed us up quite nicely.
The woodwork was our friend but a draw was a fair result. The back four are very shaky but held their shape a bit better.

Reddy 6. Did ok.
Posco. 6. I like his work rate and aggression but got badly skinned a few times and someone tell him not to grab your opponents shirt in a crucial position. Still very raw.
Zac 6. Improving.
Rose 6. Not bad.
Neill 7. Our best defender tonight and good going forward. Got an assist.
Fitzy 6. Worked really hard and had a real go but decision making still a worry.
Hutcho 6. Steady. One lovely pass.
Vernes 7. Good game and good goal.
Caceras 7.5. His best game of the year for me.
Trif 6. Did ok.
Duke 5.5. Worked hard but played out of position again.

Subs...
Sim 4. Kim must be shaking his head.
Cernak 6. Looked quite calm and controlled.
Bingham 6. Looks a decent prospect.
Good assessment, saw some of the Vernes potential. What do you mean that duke was played out of position again? I thought you rated him as a striker over winger.

eenfish

After watching Neil for the past few weeks I`d be signing him to a 10 year contract.
He is one of the best young prospects I`ve seen at the Mariners.
His defence is tight, he is calm, aggressive when going forward & has that instinct to sniff out a goal with some clever crosses.
I think he could easily be joining our growing number of overseas stars in a few years.

Agreed. Has impressed in every match and has been one of our best players so far this year.

dibo

Good assessment, saw some of the Vernes potential. What do you mean that duke was played out of position again? I thought you rated him as a striker over winger.
Wombat thought Mane was being played at striker when he was on the wing too, so it's hard to know what he's looking at.

dibo

Wombat also thought that I was cheeseguy:vhappy::popcorn:
I honestly read your posts and wonder if you're not either someone's multi having a laugh at the rest of us or whether you're a little bit... special. I just get the feeling you're not always on the same page as the rest of us, like you're flicking through and wondering where the pop up dinosaurs come in.

tsd

I honestly read your posts and wonder if you're not either someone's multi having a laugh at the rest of us or whether you're a little bit... special. I just get the feeling you're not always on the same page as the rest of us, like you're flicking through and wondering where the pop up dinosaurs come in.
What if all this time wombat and syd are the 2 faces of harvey dent?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred