• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM V Jests 30th Nov

VicMariner

All you can hear on TV is the Mariners band, haven't noticed the Squadron at all. :D

We'll have to call them the diddly squat-ron. :cool:

greenlig

Our makeshift defence scares me, and we can't shoot, but there were some passages there in the second half where we looked really, really good. Vernes added the dynamism that we have been lacking, and you could see the team dropped a little class when he and Caceres went off.

Two blatant penalties, especially the second one. Hate that, but there's nothing we can do about it.

The mids need to be encouraged to shoot more from the edge of the area. About three times we had it on the edge, but we tried to pass through instead of having a ping. Should have won by a few goals.

Jaundice

The mids need to be encouraged to shoot more from the edge of the area. About three times we had it on the edge, but we tried to pass through instead of having a ping. Should have won by a few goals.

Its quite frustrating watching our counter or attacking philosophy, seemingly based on only shooting or delivering a final pass when the opposition has rallied its whole team behind the ball.

Capt. Awesome

Pretty hard game to watch for most of it. We created some good passages of play again but we seem like we are too scared to shoot.

One plus is we are much better than Newcastle. They suck. As expected.

7 - Reddy - solid game never really tested
6- Posco - made some good runs was fast but final ball lacking
6.5 - Zac - Not a bad game still take too long to pass
6 - Rose - overal ok
7.5 - Niell - Great game in attack - got left behind a few times in defence
6 - Hutch - would have expected him to fire up the boys a bit more with some crunching tackles
7 Caceres - played well opened up the midfield although there was a couple of wayward passes
7 Fitz - worked hard
8 Vernes - great game - starting to show his class and great positioning for the goal
6.5 - Tricky - great first half, controlled the ball well
4 - Duke - Was very absent in this game. (I'm a massive Duke fan but if he doesn't score soon I fear for him)

6 - Sim
5 - Bingham
6 - Cernak

We need Simon back

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Hutcho was alright, but you're right that he wasn't inspiring. I've noticed we've been afraid to shoot from outside the box all season - and unfortunately, we don't have a playmaker in mids or attack to really create anything. Bloody boring game. I'm ok with knowing we're not going to get anywhere this season.

The only question is whether we dump Moss now or at the end of the season :p

Thought Reddy was a bit ordinary, though I'm more critical of him than most on here. He seemed to be caught uncertain on their goal, and there was another moment when he didn't move for a ball thinking it was going to miss and it hit the post. He had some good work though.

Its quite frustrating watching our counter or attacking philosophy, seemingly based on only shooting or delivering a final pass when the opposition has rallied its whole team behind the ball.

Yeah, we definitely lack the capacity to really counter. Partly that's speed, partly that's our off-the-ball movement, but I just don't think our players are being well drilled enough to instinctively know what to do when we come up with the ball. Quick! Pass it back! Make it somebody else's problem!!

MrCelery

Nothing much changes. Generally great up to the penalty area, then woeful forward play.
My 97 year old Mum could have run past that Bogan Scum defence.

Great goal to Vernes though, from great work by the impressive Neill.

So frustrating seeing us back playing with a swagger, but such limp dicks for the final pass\shot.

The Scum's lucky goal again just shows what can happen when you get the ball into the 'killing zone'. Two lucky bounces and we're picking the ball out of our net, again.

My best players today - Hutch, Vernes, Caceras, Neill, Trifiro

Gratis

Nothing much changes. Generally great up to the penalty area, then woeful forward play.
My 97 year old Mum could have run past that Bogan Scum defence.

Great goal to Vernes though, from great work by the impressive Neill.

So frustrating seeing us back playing with a swagger, but such limp dicks for the final pass\shot.

The Scum's lucky goal again just shows what can happen when you get the ball into the 'killing zone'. Two lucky bounces and we're picking the ball out of our net, again.

My best players today - Hutch, Vernes, Caceras, Neill, Trifiro
good summary, my thoughts also.

to quote myself from another thread:
i thought in areas we were actually very good. just need more urgency going forward and a desire to shoot rather then to try and walk it in.
for anyone who watches the game again you'll see two things - tempo was too low and didn't go for the jugular like predators. the rest of the play, the passing and control, even the defence, was quite good. if we'd scored a few people would be loving this team up. without the goals (those things that actually count) the rest becomes meaningless and forgotten.

my prediction - when the goals start going in people will be impressed with the rest of what we're doing.

I think slater nailed it when he said it's like we're stuck following a curriculum - the second we get the ball we take time to get back into shape rather than go for it, and it just gives the opposition time to reset their defence.

Wombat

Fark......it's going to be a long season.
Could be our first ever wooden spoon.
Still draws will be enjoyable so let's enjoy that !?! ?!

Wombat

Roy Law

Just shoot, will yah!
This game will not last long in the memory. Two teams struggling for direction this season, with only one win between them. The Jets could have won it; the Mariners could have won it. The draw was a fair result.
Matt Simon did not feature despite the build up from Phil Moss; Josh Bingham, the NYL captain, was on the bench. Storm Roux was the surprise omission; Kim Seung-yong clearly has played his last for the Mariners. Richard Vernes was in the run on side.
After a bright start, with the Mariners Brass Band, and Trifiro prominent, the Mariners were almost undone by a clever pass from David Carney which put Neville away but the full back blazed the chance wide when he should have squared the ball to the better placed Montano. A few minutes later the ball ricocheted off Anderson across the goal mouth but luckily no Jet was able to take advantages. It wasn’t a convincing start by the defence.
The Mariners were playing some quite lovely football in midfield. A Trifiro lay off was just too strong for Poscoliero with the Jets exposed; and then almost a chance but Caceres’ pass was a fraction too strong for Fitzgerald from a clever free kick with the Jets’ defence again broken open. Vernes then came close: winning the ball, turning and running at defenders, playing a one-two, but being squeezed out and placing his shot wide. It was encouraging play from the Mariners, and the young Hungarian. Poscoliero who was playing with real aggression then crossed a ball deep to the far edge of the penalty area but Fitzgerald’s ambitious header could not trouble Kennedy.
Just past the half hour Rose missed a great chance with a header from a corner; it seemed easier to score than to head over. The Mariners were playing some really attractive football, they were controlling the game, but were they ever going to score?
And then Montana thumped a strong header against the post with Reddy motionless on the line. My word, that was close!
The Mariners started the second half brightly, a strong run from the lively Fitzgerald, the shot was blocked, was it by a hand, the Mariners appealed, but the referee wasn’t interested.
Two minutes later Carney advanced through feeble attempts to tackle, the ball bounced up from Rose and hit Anderson; as it fell, Montano, always the most likely to score, pounced to beat Reddy. It was woeful defending; the confusion between Rose and Anderson indicative of how disorganised our defence has been this season.
The Mariners responded superbly; they really did dominate the play. A marvellous jinking run from Fitzgerald won a free kick on the edge of the area and Trifiro, with all the skill we expect from our imports, hit the bar with Kennedy rooted to his goal line.
The approach play was scintillating but the Mariners seemed to weave such a complicated web of skills that they risked over doing it. You wanted to shout “Just shoot, will yah!” And then they did. Good work from Neill down the left, squeezing a cross from the by line for Vernes to crisply bang home at the near post. A proper goal, from open play; a deserved equaliser. With Caceres, Trifiro, Fitzgerald and Vernes all showing excellent skills it seemed the Mariners could go on and win this.
And then that defence opened up again. The Jets swooped down acres of space on the left; Hoole easily sidestepped Poscoliero, and presented Flores with an open goal. With the defence hopelessly adrift the maestro somehow hit the bar. What a let off; perhaps he bottled it again his old club?
Josh Bingham came on for Duke; my word he is a big unit! Sim came on for Vernes, who could feel well pleased with his improved performance. Fitzgerald worked a chance but failed to pull the trigger; why are the Mariners so shot shy?
Cernak came on and with great pace and awareness set up Matt Sim; Kennedy pulled off a thrilling save but the shot was not well placed. It was a golden chance for the winner lost.
The Mariners were like an iced doughnut today: pretty to look at, but with a big hole in the middle, and no real bite. They were often marvellous in midfield, but the defence is the hole in the doughnut, and the attack is toothless. This was another game without a win; there remains a lot of work to do.
I liked the play of Vernes, Fitzgerald and Trifiro; Bingham showed a willingness to get involved and some calm touches, but I give my MoM to Caceres who, with close skills and composure, completely outplayed his mentor, Marcos Flores. The only thing missing from his game was the magic killer touch today but Flores seems to have lost his completely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred