• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

WSW away

PatientMariner

Big props to the players who came around to give the kids high fives despite the protests of security.
Favourite moment of the night.

Security tells Staj not to give high fives.

Staj: Come on mate, it's our first crowd in 2 years!

Full credit to the yellow army last night, you guys were awesome!

Another game where we didn't take chances and got a draw. I must admit I am enjoying a draw feeling like a loss rather than it feeling like a win like it would have been a year ago. Complete mentality change!

LFCMariners

I would also be binning that grey kit, as we haven’t won a bloody game in it yet..... :oops:
Yeah, it felt last night like it was worn more to fulfil a quota rather than because of any clash. The WSW stripes vs the CCM current kit is iconic and brings back good memories.

Also- CCM this season are undefeated in Sydney. Who'd have thought at the beginning of the season we could say that?

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
It was Shaun Evans....

and honestly, this is one game where we probably got lucky from the big decisions.

Draw is probably fair - our defence got way too open and we couldn't complete our chances, whereas WSW has amazing scramble defence and they had a great counter. I mean, that's 2 points we absolutely dropped - but we didn't do enough to deserve the 3.
Didn’t Harper correct that and say it was Kurt the dork in The second half

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Didn’t Harper correct that and say it was Kurt the dork in The second half
Missed that.
Who knows. Though somehow VAR worked in our favour last night.

I mean, I still think theirs at the end was a stonewall penalty (as much as ours was) so that doesn't mean I'm left with any greater faith in the competence of whoever was VAR.

Geez, what a game though!

pjennings

Missed that.

I mean, I still think theirs at the end was a stonewall penalty (as much as ours was) so that doesn't mean I'm left with any greater faith in the competence of whoever was VAR.

Yes - I agree their's should have been a penalty as well. But how many times have we had a similar foul against us, haven't gone down and haven't got the pen.

The refs need to pick these up and not encourage people to drop like a sack of spuds. Kudos to Kamou for staying on his feet.

Tevor

Missed that.

Agree, however the Drive Byes got away with Dukes goal against the Nix so I see it as Karma and who knows what Bozanic was thinking slamming into the back of Bruce like that in the box, not his greatest moment this season. I don't think we were lucky on the Pen, I've watched a lot A League this season and seen about four Pens so far given for exactly the same situation and the VAR has intervened every time because in normal time it's difficult to judge who got to the ball first. All players need to be weary when going for a big clearance in your box because if you are late and kick another player it's 100% a Pen. VAR worked as it should IMO in this situation.

I was more frustrated with our missed opportunities. We need Nigro, Bouman, Nizzy, Clisby, Stens to all score their one or two goals for the season and then we bury teams like the Drive Byes and MV. These young guys have had so many chances and just not finished them and some have been real sitters. It would top off a great season for all of them so I hope they can start converting their opportunities.

That 6 minutes of injury time was so frustrating, what was with the long passes to no one!!!! We just kept asking them to counter and win the game. Most frustrated and angry I've felt all season about our play. At least Staj agreed in his interview at the end of the game. Also I'm a little frustrated the team and tactics haven't changed enough but hey Staj has us in a great position that I didn't think was possible at the beginning of the season. I'll let him manage the team because it's great to be proud of your team again.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Agree, however the Drive Byes got away with Dukes goal against the Nix so I see it as Karma and who knows what Bozanic was thinking slamming into the back of Bruce like that in the box, not his greatest moment this season. I don't think we were lucky on the Pen, I've watched a lot A League this season and seen about four Pens so far given for exactly the same situation and the VAR has intervened every time because in normal time it's difficult to judge who got to the ball first. All players need to be weary when going for a big clearance in your box because if you are late and kick another player it's 100% a Pen. VAR worked as it should IMO in this situation.
Oh definitely - ours was a clear, clear penalty. Even the WSW fans agreed. Innocent and mistimed, but a foul.

Though given Beath's efforts against City, I was a little surprised to see it given!

The missed opportunities hurt us - especially Stens' header that went wide.

So many of the other opportunities were blocked by great desperate defence - that one, WSW had no answer to; everybody was beat.

Forum Phoenix

I was really hoping Staj would be brave enough to leave Urena on and sub Bouman (who looked totally gassed to me from about 60 mins) for Kuol and Nizzy for Simon. Alou could really benefit from the game smarts of Marco imho and I believe this would have allowed us to create more chances.

For some reason, we also lost our midfield shape in the centre for a lot of the second half and both sixes were caught too far upfield for both of Kamau’s goals, when one should always be sitting deep if the other has gone forward. Hopefully that is something that will be picked up during the video analysis.
This nails it for mine.

Stens is still not at full match fitness and Olly who plays smart conserving energy, will never stick his hand up, but imo was not able to insert the energy needed at that time to continue controlling them.

Bloody Kamau, he got some luck but I do like him as a player and neither DM had the legs to go with him.

When we have Kuol on his pace and press changes the flow of the game and helps us get control - and otherwise your mids have to be able to maintain the intensity or you will always pay for it and lose control. Which we did. honestly I love Staj, think he’s done an incredible job, so feels silly regularly critiquing his subs, but I feel compelled again. Nisbet and Janota have both proven they are excellent players. We were losing control of the Middle. Urena was our best outlet forward.

And tactically we didn’t adjust for what was obviously their only option to try and get a foothold in the game.

You can either choose to close the game down for that vital 25 minutes after half time / by pulling Simon and bringing in Nisbet or Janota and playing 451 and packing the midfield for a spell. Or you’re probably going to need fresh legs in the middle and or up top to threaten and force them back a peg. We just stayed the same, but with less energy, right when they were going to try to pick up the pace and gone at us with more energy.

anyway, we were desperately unlucky not to win, Bouman, Stens for sure should have won it for us. But we could have lost too. Another two points dropped in truth. But you’ll always take a point away - unless it’s against victory at the moment, and should be 3.

Last edited:

bikinigirl

Watched the replay last night and it was quite clear that Gianni was still lamenting his goal miss. He laid on the ground for ages after and was out of position right after the goal. He and Ollie, for sone reason, put no effort in chasing Kamau.

On top of that Ruon uncharacteristically dived in at Kamau instead of standing him up, and then the ball took a bloody deflection.

If that play was repeated a hundred times it would not yield a goal. Perfect storm.

. this is one of the things I noticed early in the season - if somebody stuffed up (i.e. out of position, bad decision, over-committed, etc, etc) somebody else made up for it. when we were conceding it was because of multiple events consecutively

. in seasons past it seemed that everybody was out of place and making poor decisions. if someone stuffed up it was usually compounded by indecision

. that decisive desperation has had a massive impact on our season ... and when it goes missing, it's telling

Michael

Been called out on twitter how disrespectful it is. Bozza said he would pass it on.
We shall see. Harper seems to be the main culprit

bozza for the most part has picked his game up this season imo
You can tell he’s trying to be much more professional and intelligent and trying pretty hard to get comp held in a higher stead.

Insertnamehere

bozza for the most part has picked his game up this season imo
You can tell he’s trying to be much more professional and intelligent and trying pretty hard to get comp held in a higher stead.
Hes certainly better than Archie but they have stepped his involvement back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami