• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

World Cup qualifying- South America preview

Arabmariner

FFC Mariner said:
How big a game is Argentina v U R Gay?

Can you imagine the atmosphere in in Montevideo's Centenario stadium? I hope U R Gay make it and Australia get them in the group stages - magic.

Wednesday night's game  is effectively a play-off for the fourth and final automatic qualification spot in South America. The winners will qualify or, if it is a draw, Argentina will qualify (unless Ecuador win by at least five clear goals away to already-qualified Chile).
Live 9am tommorow.....Setanta  ;D

WW 3

serious14

FFC Mariner said:
How big a game is Argentina v U R Gay?

Can you imagine the atmosphere in in Montevideo's Centenario stadium? I hope U R Gay make it and Australia get them in the group stages - magic.

Wednesday night's game  is effectively a play-off for the fourth and final automatic qualification spot in South America. The winners will qualify or, if it is a draw, Argentina will qualify (unless Ecuador win by at least five clear goals away to already-qualified Chile).

Can just imagine now - Argentina are up 1-0 with ten to go, and Ecuador have put 4 past Chile (which the crowd gets wind of and _firesthef*ckupevenmoreso_), and Argentina subsequently concede 2 late LATE goals (and at the same time Ecuador bang in the 5th) to get completely knocked out.... subsequently followed by a celebratory riot the likes of which the world has never seen.  ;D

Forum Phoenix

FFC Mariner said:
Minister of War and Finance wont spring for Setanta................

lol,
Setanta makes for a happy man, happy man = better relationship surely?
Would give up... well... most things really to keep my sentanta now!
Time for a change of government me thinks?
;)

David Votoupal

Arabmariner said:
If they can't qualify by finishing in the top 5 of a 10 team league then they don't deserve to be there regardless of what talent is in their side.

Only just scraped a win at the weekend too.

And that against a Peru side who fans consider the worst in their history. Peruvian football is a sad case (like Hungary) of mismanagement and decline of a one-time power, yet there's still plenty of ability in that team. And they were extremely unlucky not to have beaten Argentina at home, and battled to get a point at home to Brazil, etc.

Sean said:
Their last qualifying campaign was quite similar to this wasnt it?

Nope, Argentina qualified more easily for 2006. They were one of the favourites for it too.

Uruguay's campaign isn't any different from their last two, except there's no Australia to overcome this time round. Plus, their squad had a near-total revamp since, Lugano Carini and Forlan the only ones still being selected.

serious14

Fulltime - Argentina 1, Uruguay 0.  Jammy 86th minute goal - Maradona is suitably going off his nut.

The ref. was a bit suss tbh, he'll be lucky to get out of the country alive.

hasbeen

Drat, the little fat, drug-taking, cheating poof and his band of Merry Pranksters have qualified ... 

OJ

all you maradona haters need to understand that he inherited a team low in confidence living under the shadow of brazil.. It is very rare in argentina for the nation to not think they are the best in the world.. Maradona was appointed to get the team to the world cup.. His job is done.. If you actually watched the game against peru you would of seen that argentina dominated the game and had probably a dozen chances.. Whilst always looking vulnerable at the back..

It is the first argentinian team to win in uruguay for over 30. . Yes thats right 30 years.:) what an achievement

serious14

OJ said:
If you actually watched the game against peru you would of seen that argentina dominated the game and had probably a dozen chances.. Whilst always looking vulnerable at the back..

I did, and it was the single jammiest win I have ever, EVER seen.  They in no way deserved that win, and the fact they damn near conceded straight after going 2-1 up (94th minute by that time) says it all really.

They won't make it out of the group stages.

Forum Phoenix

I simply don't know how a team with so many incredible players in it can look so utterly ordinary.

Felt sorry for Uruguay, they dominated the game in large parts and you could see how much it meant to them.

OJ

serious14 said:
The one that saw Peru have more shots on target, more corners, and more possession??
not sure where your getting your stats from but yes peru had more corners but other than that argentina dominated possession and had more shots on goal.. A couple of peru's shots were from 40 yards plus..

dibo

Farken LOL: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26217288-23215,00.html?from=public_rss

[quote author=Maradona, post game]"There were those who did not believe in this team and who treated me as less than nothing," said Maradona, whose team had endured a chaotic, lacklustre qualifying campaign.

"Today we are in the World Cup finals with help from nobody but with honour. To all of you who did not believe in us, and I apologise to all the women here, you can suck it and keep sucking it," he added, repeating the phrase. [/quote]

OJ

serious14 said:
OJ said:
serious14 said:
The one that saw Peru have more shots on target, more corners, and more possession??
not sure where your getting your stats from

FIFA.com??

Link?? All the other statistics I have seen and from what the commentator said during and after the match and also from what I saw would indicate a game that was dominated by Argentina. 30 mins of the game was marred by torrential rain Higuian had the best chance of the match a "sitter". Argentina dominated possesion but were caught several times on the counter attack similar to their games against Colombia and Brazil recently. Having watched the game for the third time in full it was a thrilling spectacle the quality of the game diminshed with the weather but Argentina deseved to win the match however "jammy" the goals were. When Peru scored on the 90th minute the commentator says "Argentina will be ruing not putting away their chances and putting the game to bed"!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred