• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

williams is the master class in mediocre

dibo

I think there's too little competition among the top refs, leading to very few truly outstanding refs. This goes all the way down to the grassroots, where people get discouraged from refereeing because when they make mistakes they get absolutely flogged by players, coaches, parents, etc., and because from top to bottom, the referee advancement process is 'sticky' - refs who are past it stay on too long and block out good up and comers.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Personally, I think the problems with refereeing come all the way to grassroots. I've sat in on too many fantastic assessments given after shocking performances (or had assessments which don't come close to reflecting what happened) to have much faith that the right referees are the ones getting promoted.

these days there seem to be a few more referees in the HAL - in the first few seasons Breeze, Shield and Williams had the vast majority of games. There's a bit more variation now.

I know a few years back the NYL was seen as the development ground for up-and-coming HAL referees (capped at 25 years old). I don't know if it's still being used like this, but I think NYL is too far away from HAL in terms of refereeing difficulty and player attitudes. It's been a year or two since I've seen a NYL match, but I always thought a CCF AA4 or O35A match was harder to control than NYL by the looks of it. But I think there are big problems with the assessing and training right from the start. That, and simply who they're looking for - from bits and pieces I've heard from HAL assessors in years gone by, it suggested that personality (arrogant enough to force their own personality upon the game) was often more important than skill - and some of the basic errors in law knowledge I've seen from some top tier referees when I've refereed with them locally has reinforced that. But I guess that ties into the underlying philosophy that refereeing at higher levels is more about 'managing' the game (whatever that means) than refereeing it. If you get a decision wrong but you've got the charisma to get away with anything with a wink and a smile, then who cares, right? And then there's the various ways assessors have been abusing their power at the HAL level.....

For what it's worth, things seem even more broken when it comes to Futsal refereeing.

I think the AR's have largely gotten better though.

Pathways have improved thought. Central Coast used to be a dead end, unless you could be bothered going into Sydney to referee every weekend. These days that's not so necessary, although the sheer abuse and aggression on the coast at all levels could be driving more away (last time I refereed there was in 2010, but that was after about 2-3 years in Melbourne, and I couldn't believe how bad the abuse, aggression and general disrespect had gotten in that time). At least on the coast most games have at least 1 AR, which is good for referee development.

Rowdy

Sounds like more money is needed to be spent on Development.

'You get what you pay for' comes to mind.

Likewise, Peanuts = Monkeys.

Certainly been quite a few banana-skins spotted around the grounds this season already.

dibo

Williams (dob 1977) got on the job at 9 then, because Gillett was born in 1986.

Precocious little f**ker.

true believer

Williams school days

village-of-the-damned-original.jpg

true believer

Williams was woeful again .both sides
Should have got clear penalties.
The mcgown pen was probably close to a red card foul.
He is pure shite

Wombat

He was at it again on the weekend. Gave a penalty to Nix when their striker fell over his own leg while butchering a shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami