• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Why! oh why! is Wilkinson Captain?

Bear

FFC Mariner said:
Sean Francis Lacy said:
blastbum said:
If we were starting over, I'd pick DMAC as captain in a heartbeat.

+1

Why? He cant score as he never takes up goal scoring positions, ok he works hard but its mainly in areas of the pitch that dont hurt the opposition.

He works hard in those positions because others wont. See him playing in the back line at different times over the last few weeks for reference. If we had a solid back line that had confidence about itself, and a firing midfield feeding good balls to the strikers, we would still be in the finals

The only bloke in our team that works harder than D-Mac is Matty, and thats due to youth. Dylan has heart, he has the skills (see goal against Newcastle) he has the mongrel required, he has the work rate, he should be captain imo

Wilko out

FFC Mariner

kevrenor said:
marinermick said:
........  we need to go through the lower leagues in england or scotland and find one of these hard nuts that has a few years left in his career but still quality

they might be at the stage where migration with family is a desirable option and may even relish the prospect of an assistant coaching role if the right candidate comes along

dollars may not be an issue with the reasons listed above and we can get some mongrel and leadership in the backline

in time this prick can teach the younger defenders coming through

Works for me.

+1

I'm sure Petrie knows a few from his 18 months in the lower leagues in Scotland.

i want busted nose, few teeth missing, tatts - a Mickey Droy look alike but uglier and meaner

serious14

Why is it that we always end up with our best attackers (Tommy last season, Caceres and DMac this season) in defensive positions for half the game??  I don't claim to be some sort of all knowing football god, but really, there is something wrong with that......

marinermick

serious14 said:
Why is it that we always end up with our best attackers (Tommy last season, Caceres and DMac this season) in defensive positions for half the game??  I don't claim to be some sort of all knowing football god, but really, there is something wrong with that......

actually d-mac played in a very attacking position last friday and it was a disaster

watch the first half and see how many times he failed to hold the ball up when it came directly to him and how many of his passes went straight to the opposition - especially his square balls that has cost us a couple of goals this season

it was no wonder he got hooked at half time as his constant loss of possession put us under enormous pressure

d-mac was at his best coming off the bench (rd3 v qld) or when he was playing slightly deeper in the three striker formation, which was really the one striker up front and the other two in midfield

serious14

marinermick said:
serious14 said:

actually d-mac played in a very attacking position last friday and it was a disaster

watch the first half and see how many times he failed to hold the ball up when it came directly to him and how many of his passes went straight to the opposition - especially his square balls that has cost us a couple of goals this season

it was no wonder he got hooked at half time as his constant loss of possession put us under enormous pressure

d-mac was at his best coming off the bench (rd3 v qld) or when he was playing slightly deeper in the three striker formation, which was really the one striker up front and the other two in midfield

Note I said half the game - I just find it annoying when #9 and #10 type of players end up at right/left back because of the inadequacies/shortcomings of others y'know??

marinermick

serious14 said:
marinermick said:
serious14 said:

Note I said half the game - I just find it annoying when #9 and #10 type of players end up at right/left back because of the inadequacies/shortcomings of others y'know??

agreed - was not disagreeing with you

at the beginning of the season we had the luxury of giving attackers and midfielders more freedom because we had mile and defenders like pedj were out of their skins

melb have players like vargas, muscat, celeski and ward putting in enormous defensive roles allowing players like hernandez, tommy, allsop and archie to attack at will

serious14

marinermick said:

Heh - pardon me, I'm not used to that.  :p

Guess the old saying about building a team from the back rings true more than ever for us at the moment.....

marinermick

serious14 said:
marinermick said:

Heh - pardon me, I'm not used to that.  :p

Guess the old saying about building a team from the back rings true more than ever for us at the moment.....

as was mentioned by someone a while ago on this forum - our spine currently is not strong enough

~Floss~

FFC Mariner said:
kevrenor said:
marinermick said:
........  we need to go through the lower leagues in england or scotland and find one of these hard nuts that has a few years left in his career but still quality

they might be at the stage where migration with family is a desirable option and may even relish the prospect of an assistant coaching role if the right candidate comes along

dollars may not be an issue with the reasons listed above and we can get some mongrel and leadership in the backline

Works for me.

+1

+2
I was thinking exactly this the other day.

..and also this +1:
FFC Mariner said:
We need to bring in a mongrel hard man at CB and make him Captain.

Look at the top3 and you have Ogmonster Moore and Musc**t as on pitch leaders. We have a very nice young man.

bulldogmariner

Some players i saw who would fit the role you are suggesting on my travels through Scotland and England include.

Rob Jones- Hibs (CB) He is a strong and tall defender who plays for Wales. He scores goals off set pieces and wins nearly everything in the air. Turned down a chance to move to Colchester FC in Jan transfer window. This guy would be my choice.

Ross Tokely- ICT (RB/DM) He is a big boy who dominates physically in his game. Gives away a lot of cards for strong challenges but works hard and never gives up.

Ugo Ehiogu-- Sheffield United (CB) Strong and reliable defender who wins a lot in the air. Played at big clubs in Europe and coming to the end of his career.

McCarthy- C Palace (CB)- Strong defender who is hard at the ball and likes to pass the football but not afraid to make a big challenge.

Mills- Doncaster (CB) Again another strong defender who has played in the lower leagues and is not a bad player.

Wombat

RADINHO said:
hutcho +1

They have put more in the water than just Floride in the last year!!

Capt...should be the best player or close to...and the first player picked each week.

Hutcho and Wilko are not really starting 11 players...just Lawrie's favourites.

Probably Danny is the only one that fits the bill in the current squad. Gumps is a leader but appears to be best as impact player at his age.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred