• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who should be the strikers?

Who should be our strike pairing?

• Simon & Bernie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simon & Baird

• Simon & Kwassie

• Simon & McBreen

• McBreen & Baird

• Kwassie & Bernie

• Other combo

• Total voters

Ancient Mariner

Someone has mentioned on another topic that Baird may be leaving? In which case promote Mitchell Duke!

FFS, don't you realise the problem is not strikers it is finding a replacement for Perez.

Perez was what we needed for a long time, it is a shame he went.

Pelle does not play the same as Perez neither does McBreen, and until the team adjusts to whoever is our central playmaker we will look like shit.

Until we find someone who can drag in 2 defenders and beat them or get a pass away, or until we adjust our style, Ollie, Mac and Rose will not get the space like they did last year.

With Amini carrying a long term injury it will take some time.

Please let's stop talking about strikers as though they are the problem and the solution.

Wombat

That's not strictly true. If we had a top drawer striker we would probably have 7pts rather than 1pt right now however you are correct that the loss of Perez is a massive blow. If Amini was starting we would also not be in this predicament and bringing Pelle on for final 20 with us dominating and everyone confident, would also be a different story.
It's also mildly amusing that people are now only starting to realize how good Perez was, now that he has gone (not you personally AM) rather than appreciating his class when he was here.

adz

Staff member
It's also mildly amusing that people are now only starting to realize how good Perez was, now that he has gone (not you personally AM) rather than appreciating his class when he was here.

??? I thought everyone realised old Porcelain Perez was a massive loss! A few teaspoons of concrete and we would have been set this season. Maybe they weren't so bothered because Musti is a decent replacement. We would have to find someone to fill that spot for next season anyway, with Musti going, I guess we have to look around a bit sooner.

Wombat

I reckon we should buy Danny allsopp. He can't be happy at Mv and he certainly knows how to score.

Forum Phoenix

FFS, don't you realise the problem is not strikers it is finding a replacement for Perez.

Perez was what we needed for a long time, it is a shame he went.

Pelle does not play the same as Perez neither does McBreen, and until the team adjusts to whoever is our central playmaker we will look like shit.

Until we find someone who can drag in 2 defenders and beat them or get a pass away, or until we adjust our style, Ollie, Mac and Rose will not get the space like they did last year.

With Amini carrying a long term injury it will take some time.

Please let's stop talking about strikers as though they are the problem and the solution.

SPOT ON.

Jus posting as such on another thread, Though I so think our strike combination also needs work. But it is not our primary issue.

Also agree re Duke - Roy. Others have seen much more of him, but from what I saw, this kid is on par and could be arguably even better than Bernie. fast and strong mentality it seemed. I think that would be nice. McBreen, Kwassie and Baird all seem to lack this mental cutting edge - and Matty is just not a polished finisher.

Which brings me to Wombats post. Ban away, cause I thoroughly agree.
allsop may be the same mould of striker as Matty and McBreen, but he is faster than either of them and most importantly.
A much better finisher. We simply must have more clinical strikers - or our guys MUST improve.

This is the second season running where our back line are making a better case for golden boot than our forwards.

As I said on the other thread. TO have had, Perez feeding Bernie and a Solorzano type striker, that wold be something.

But I'll happily settle for Amini feeding Matty and Bernie, if Matty can at least consistently work the keeper when he gets the single best chance of a game. It's professional football. Strikers have to take those more often than not. Just the way it is if you want to win any silverware.

scottmac

Suspended
Also agree re Duke - Roy. Others have seen much more of him, but from what I saw, this kid is on par and could be arguably even better than Bernie. fast and strong mentality it seemed. I think that would be nice. McBreen, Kwassie and Baird all seem to lack this mental cutting edge - and Matty is just not a polished finisher.

So thats why the guy is still playing YL. He's better. Thanks for clearing that one up FP.

dibo

As I said in the other thread:

We can't (practically) release players mid-season. Not an option - they have contracts to pay out etc.

Anyone whose solution for our woes is releasing players should try again.

McGrime

So 2 weeks in a row this duo has produced the goals.

Funny how the supporters can sometimes see with some clarity the potential in a partnership.
(Although the coaching staff see & understand things that we do not, injuries, attitude, etc)

I believe these two can go on to become a pretty handy pairing.
The main reason is how they are starting to work for each other off the ball.
Bit of a nightmare for a defense knowing that if you take your eyes off Matty that Benni has scored in his last 2 outings & Visa Versa.

Anyway good luck to them both, looking forward to seeing them set each other up this Saturday night.

MagpieMariner

I wonder how much credit for our striker pairing's form can be given to McUselessBreen at AM. I've only noticed him there 2nd half against the scum & the Perth match, but what I saw I liked. He seems much harder to push off the ball than our recent others. His passing in general is OK too.

Ted

So thats why the guy is still playing YL. He's better. Thanks for clearing that one up FP.

To be fair Duke was above decent last season and seemed the better player than Bernie on the pitch. Whether his attitude is an issue I don't know. Maybe someone else can elaborate on this? Duke is a talent though from what I have seen...

dibo

The difference has really been McBreen. He's played a couple of great games, and that gives us the ability to bring the strikers into the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred