• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

What should be our starting eleven?

Capt. Awesome

that's about o

that's about our strongest squad i reckon, thought Trif is pushing for a starting spot.

don't see this being used in the early days, Mossy is almost certain to start with some of the new guys on the bench or take them off at 60 methinks

Vernes will be great but he isn't fit yet. I don't think you can leave Duke out. He is going to have a very strong year. All the talk around the club is Kim is looking very good. As much as I want to see Caceres at 10 I don't think it will happen.

Gratis

Vernes will be great but he isn't fit yet. I don't think you can leave Duke out. He is going to have a very strong year. All the talk around the club is Kim is looking very good. As much as I want to see Caceres at 10 I don't think it will happen.
Kim's touches were great in the last trial game but like Mane he seemed to be a little ahead of the team in his intentions and often had no options after creating. once the team is in the same page is going to be impressive

scoober

Anyone else noted that Hutch is listed as "club captain" so not necessarily first team captain. Unless injured or suspended i suspect Monty to wear the armband.

Capt. Awesome

Very interesting article here with Moss. Well worth a read

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...lusive-interview/story-e6frf4gl-1227080429379

SIMON Hill is interviewing all 10 A-League coaches in the lead-up to the season. Today it’s the turn of Central Coast Mariners boss Phil Moss.

SIMON HILL: The Mariners seem to defy the odds every year – do those odds lengthen every season?

PHIL MOSS: No, I think its more of the same – I’m a big believer in only worrying about what you can control – and we have control of the team. As a football department we don’t have control of the club of course, but the support I’ve received from (owner) Mike Charlesworth and (CEO) Bruce Stalder is second to none. Everything I have asked for in pre-season has been delivered.

But there does seem to be a lot of noise – again – regarding the financial health of the club, does that concern you as coach?

No, it doesn’t, because I know what goes on behind the scenes to keep the club running – I have a very good relationship with people at FFA in high places as well, so we get reassurances there too. But I sit face to face with Mike, and I see the passion in his eyes for the Mariners and the A-League – he wants to change things for the better. He has put his money where his mouth is, and he deserves more respect than he receives. I really do believe his intentions are pure. If he wants to find fresh investment for the club, then as a single owner, that is his right.

Development has been a key word for the Mariners down the years – and it appears the club is doing a lot of restructuring in that department. Can you explain what it’s all about?

I think we took our eye off the ball last year with regards to the youth team and the development pathway at the club. Given our rich history of developing young players, that became the starting point for me in the off season, when I had time to focus on areas where we had to improve.

Changes had to be made – and I found Stu Jacobs, who had worked with (Moss’s assistant) Wayne O’Sullivan in New Zealand. Stu has added a huge amount in a short space of time. We now also have a full time head of junior development in Rui Tome. He has come through Boavista, FC Porto and Sporting Lisbon. So, including John Crawley, we now have five full time coaches. We have everything covered from A-League players down to nine year old kids. That’s a fantastic coaching foundation.

Could you explain further how your academy plans are coming along in the regions? I understand your plan is to have most areas of New South Wales covered?

When Mike (Charlesworth) offered me the coaching job, one of the key motivations was to set up the ideal pathway. Part of that was the academy, with a primary set-up on the Coast – and satellites elsewhere. We already have an affiliation with Western New South Wales, which now runs teams called the Western Mariners – and we intend to have other satellites in key areas like Bathurst, Mudgee, Orange and Sydney too, run under Andrew Fearnley, who is employed by Football New South Wales.

Is this perhaps where people get the idea that the Mariners are keen on relocating?

What I can say is that I’ve seen - first hand - how much money, time and energy has been put into the Centre of Excellence on the Coast. In my wildest dreams I can’t see why he (Mike Charlesworth) would do that if he was going to relocate. There’s no crime in trying to expand your brand. Mike is open-minded and innovative – he’s not afraid to explore different avenues to make his club stronger commercially, but the rumours of relocation from all my experiences are completely false.

The club must be immensely proud to look at the Socceroos in Brazil and see Mat Ryan, Alex Wilkinson, Mile Jedinak, Oliver Bozanic…and at other times, Tom Rogic and Trent Sainsbury, making the leap to the highest level?

There was a study that came out around the World Cup which ranked us 133rd in the world for development – that was up there with some unbelievable clubs. It gives us extra motivation to keep working hard in that department. Although we didn’t have those players as 9 year-olds, we certainly played a crucial role through Arnie and Lawrie (McKinna) As just the third coach in ten years I hope to do the same with the next generation.

The flip side of that is you lose players on a consistent basis – the latest of which is Michael McGlinchey, in quite a protracted process – as a coach, were you frustrated with the way that panned out?

A: Well, firstly, people say we lose players, but I look at it differently. We have played our role in taking players to the next level. Players from the Mariners go to good clubs, good leagues. If we lost them to 3rd division level, then OK, different story. With McGlinchey, it is a shame to lose a player of his calibre. But he has gone to a very big deal. He’s a marquee at Wellington, and I believe both Football New Zealand and Phoenix combined to make things happen. I understand it. The process though was very poor. I think the PFA erred in their judgment, and the arbitration ruling consolidates that. If I’d wanted to terminate Mike’s contract through the same loopholes, they would have jumped all over me and the club – so I think there were double standards at play.

You’ve had a decent pre-season results-wise, and you’ve just signed a three-year contract – what are the targets for the Mariners over those three years?

I’m a process driven coach. I believe in the small details. If you do that, the results look after themselves. Not just on the park, but the development of the players - and from the clubs point of view, transfer fees. We have a fantastic culture, driven by respect for each other. I don’t set points targets or position targets – if the process is right, then things flow on from there.

Talk to us about your overseas signings – Malick Mane and Richard Vernes – what can we expect from them?

Malick brings dynamism, pace, power, and he’s got a great strike from outside the box. He’s very instinctive as a player, and that’s something we desperately needed. Our defensive structure has always been lauded, but last year if we’d had an out and out goal scorer, we could have gone further. He’s come from IFK Gothenburg, played Europa League, so he’s played at a good level, and he’s only 26. Richard is more of a creative player – he has a great final pass, has good speed, and again he knows his way to goal. They will lead the way in assists and goals this season.

Are you still looking to add more to your roster before the season starts? Would you ever be tempted by a big-name marquee?

A: We looked at marquees, but we are a community club, and whether a big name would work remains to be seen. The danger of a marquee is that the team becomes about an individual, and that doesn’t fit with our culture on the Coast, and we have budgetary restraints too. I’d like to add another defender, as we’ve lost Brent Griffiths to a hamstring injury for 6-8 weeks, so we need to reinforce. I’m looking at two Blacktown players – Zach Cairncross and Jacob Poscoliero - who, along with Travis Major, are trialling with us.

You were criticised on occasion last season for playing a pragmatic type of game – do you make any apologies for that?

No. I like my teams to have a tactical flexibility – and at times, it’s a horses for courses approach. The Champions League has opened my eyes to tactical flexibility, and if you look at coaches like (Marcello) Lippi, who changes his system six or seven times during a game, it shows you what is possible. Last year in Brisbane, we showed a lot of teams how to win a game there. I think in every game plan you try to nullify the opposition, and exploit their weaknesses.

Will there be any change to the way the Mariners play this season?

Not a change, but every season you try to evolve as a team – there will be tweaks to what we do. My philosophy is to threaten and score goals, but the cornerstone of our success is the defence, and that wont change. But I want the fans on the edge of their seats when we go forward, and I think we have the players to do that.

Who are the main challengers for the title this season?

Sydney FC – I believe they have the best coach in the league in Arnie, he’s at the very top of his game, which is why he got the chance to go to Japan. Melbourne Victory, have recruited very well, and Melbourne City have had their world opened up due to the finances. Brisbane too of course, being defending champions.

Finally, the state of the game in Australia – what needs to improve?

A: Off the field, purpose built stadiums, and the playing surfaces of shared facilities, which are detrimental to the product. Our game can’t be attractive without a good surface. Scheduling is a big thing too, along with the need to help referees keep pace with the development of the game. On the whole though, I’m really proud to be part of the A-League and where it’s at – the FFA cop a lot of criticism, but they have done a magnificent job.

Capt. Awesome

This line I find interesting:

"The Champions League has opened my eyes to tactical flexibility, and if you look at coaches like (Marcello) Lippi, who changes his system six or seven times during a game, it shows you what is possible. Last year in Brisbane, we showed a lot of teams how to win a game there. I think in every game plan you try to nullify the opposition, and exploit their weaknesses."

Mossy looking to be very flexible in formation this year.

midfielder

--------------Reddy
Roux-------Anderson ---Bosnar---Rose
-----Monty------Caceres--------------
Kim--------------------------Mane
------------Vernes ---------
----------Duke--------

Bench, Hutch, Trifiro, Fitzy, Sim, Nash

localpom

--------------Reddy
----------Duke--------

I think that is our "best" team if everyone is fit, in form and used to the way we play. Think there will be a couple of changes from week to week. I'm sure Hutch will be in the running for the Jets and Trif and Fitzy too. Shows how much depth we have, i'm still concerned about our CB cover tho.

MrCelery

That's a bit radical.

Two wingers as our strikers and two central mids as our wingers?

Being half Dutch, I'm a believer in 'total football'. Any player that is 'just a winger' or 'just a central midfielder' has no place in my squad. :) As we have no strikers of quality, we will just have to make do with midfielders that can be sharp around the box.

Wombat

--------------Reddy
----------Duke--------

That team would be hard to beat.

pjennings

--------------Reddy
----------Duke--------

I like the team - I just want to see 2 strikers. Back to 4-4-2 diamond for me.
------------------Reddy----------------
Roux-----Anderson ---Bosnar---Rose
---------------Monty------------------
Vernes--------------------------Kim
---------------Caceres---------------
---------Duke------Mane----------

Bench, Hutch, Trifiro, Fitzy,Poscoliero, Nash

I would put Jacob Poscoliero on the bench to put Eddy and Zac on notice. On the little I have seen of him I expect him to be a starting CB before too long.

justafan

I like the team - I just want to see 2 strikers. Back to 4-4-2 diamond for me.
------------------Reddy----------------
Roux-----Anderson ---Bosnar---Rose
---------------Monty------------------
Vernes--------------------------Kim
---------------Caceres---------------
---------Duke------Mane----------

Bench, Hutch, Trifiro, Fitzy,Poscoliero, Nash

I would put Jacob Poscoliero on the bench to put Eddy and Zac on notice. On the little I have seen of him I expect him to be a starting CB before too long.

Good line up and formation. I rate Caceres at 10. He's got talents galore to play there. I would start Fitzy instead of the hungarian. I don't think Vernes is capable or ready to start such a big game. Once JP goes on, Zac Or Bosnar will be warming benches for a while.

nebakke

Hmm... For mine, the lineup should always be different against the Jest, go for the stronger, more rugged players... Sad that Matty isn't ready for this one, Duke may have deserved to start first generally, but this is a special case ;)
Anywho...

---------------Reddy-----------------
Roux----Ando----Bosnar----Rosie
------Hutch---------Monty----------
---Mane-------------------Fitz------
---------------Triff--------------------
--------Duke--------------------------

Can't have another Jest game without either Hutch of Matty starting - not while they're on the team sheet :)... Although there IS some level of joy and excitement derived from the extra attention it brings, to have Hutch actually swapped on, rather than "just" starting ;)

localpom

Hmm... For mine, the lineup should always be different against the Jest, go for the stronger, more rugged players... Sad that Matty isn't ready for this one, Duke may have deserved to start first generally, but this is a special case ;)
Anywho...

---------------Reddy-----------------
Roux----Ando----Bosnar----Rosie
------Hutch---------Monty----------
---Mane-------------------Fitz------
---------------Triff--------------------
--------Duke--------------------------

Can't have another Jest game without either Hutch of Matty starting - not while they're on the team sheet :)... Although there IS some level of joy and excitement derived from the extra attention it brings, to have Hutch actually swapped on, rather than "just" starting ;)
Good side but i remember Caceres playing pretty well against the Jets last year. Scored an absolute cracker.

nebakke

Good side but i remember Caceres playing pretty well against the Jets last year. Scored an absolute cracker.

Fair point that actually... That's the game that had me add in the "another" bit in my post ;) might be worth doing something similar again - from memory we started with Caceres & Monty then swapped Monty for Hutch... Irrespective of how we approach it this weekend, I stand by my gut-feeling that Caceres should stay as a DM though :)

dibo

So start him instead of Trif, Monty, Mane or Fitz, but I think you need Hutch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred