• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

What should be our starting eleven?

Capt. Awesome

Getting close to the start of the season. We have all had a chance to see the players in action. Interested to know what everyones preferred starting 11 will be.

Here's mine:

---------------Reddy---------------
Roux----Ando----Boznar----Rose
-------Caseres-----Monty---------
Fitz------------Kim---------Vernes
----------------Duke----------------

Bench: Malick - Hutch/Tricky - Sim/Griff - Nash

Last edited:

localpom

Getting close to the start of the season. We have all had a chance to see the players in action. Interested to know what everyones preferred starting 11 will be.

Here's mine:

-------Caseres-----Monty---------
Fitz------------Kim---------Vernes

Bench: Malick - Hutch/Tricky - Sim/Griff - Nash

Good side, can't argue with that, apart from i think Trif will be a starter and Griff is injured and out for 6 weeks (someone correct me if i'm wrong!). The first 7 are set in stone for me (EverReddy/Storm/Ando/Boz/Rosey/Caceres/Monty), it's the last 4 that is most competitive. From what i saw of Mane on the vids he has played on the left and cuts inside nicely. Really want Dukey to have a decent run up front. I'll go for

-------Caceres-----Monty---------
Verne----------Trif-----------Malick
----------------Dukey----------------

Bench: Kim - Hutch - Fitz - Neill- Nash

Bit worried for our cover at CB, not sure who is the best bet for defensive cover?

eenfish

I'd start Kim over Trif. Sim is a great ace-in-the-hole who can play as left winger or left back, gotta have him on the bench.

I worry about our lack of depth at striker and CB. Griffo is injured, and Simon is absent, so who do we have if one of our starts at CB or if Duke goes down?

Capt. Awesome

I'd start Kim over Trif. Sim is a great ace-in-the-hole who can play as left winger or left back, gotta have him on the bench.

I worry about our lack of depth at striker and CB. Griffo is injured, and Simon is absent, so who do we have if one of our starts at CB or if Duke goes down?

As stated here buy someone else Moss is most likely to sign up one of this NPL trialists that went to Mudgee unless something better comes up.

I saw Simon training with the boys last week but he might be months away from playing.

justafan

I would like to see the following :

.......................................Reddy...................................
Roux....................Zac.................Bosnar.............Rose
.......................Triffiro...........Mont.............................
Fitzy.........................Caceres.....................Kim
..................................Duke.........................................

Bench: Nash, Neill, Vernes, Malick,Simon, Hutch

Last edited:

dibo

Funny that nobody has the captain starting. No rationale, but behind Monty, Caceres and even Trifiro.

Hutch says he's only got a season or two left (and after that if we don't have him on club staff in coaching or similar we are out of our minds) but I don't think anybody has earnt the right to start ahead of him yet.

Also interesting is that nobody has Cernak even in their match day squads. He's not a star, but he's definitely benefited from a full pre-season with us and I think we'll see him at least on the bench, perhaps even starting from time to time.

This will be particularly true if (as I suspect) we occasionally change shape around to play someone like Fitzgerald as a pain-in-the-arse buzzing mosquito second striker with Duke in a diamond 4-4-2. I can definitely see him being utilised on the right hand side of a diamond and playing combinations with Roux behind and Duke ahead of him.

What I see in this year's squad is *considerable* versatility ahead of our back 4. But for the want of another CB or two I can almost see us going to a back 3 - perhaps we drop Monty in there and play a real soak and counter game with a super-flexible midfield and forward setup. We simply don't have a 20-goal striker, but with smart structure and intelligent play we might have five or more 5-goal attackers though.

Arnie

I've got this feeling that Dukey, Fitzy and Caceres will all go close to double figures this year in goal scoring. I think they are all young but gained a lot of experience and confidence last year, especially Fitzy and Caceras, and all three are bound for greatness, this year and for the decade as CCM dominate the A-League.

localpom

I've got this feeling that Dukey, Fitzy and Caceres will all go close to double figures this year in goal scoring. I think they are all young but gained a lot of experience and confidence last year, especial
I've got this feeling that Dukey, Fitzy and Caceres will all go close to double figures this year in goal scoring. I think they are all young but gained a lot of experience and confidence last year, especially Fitzy and Caceras, and all three are bound for greatness, this year and for the decade as CCM dominate the A-League.
Add Storm, Ando, Kalick, Liam Rose, Neill, Slater and Morton to the young gun list and we are looking good. If we can keep hold of those guys for a couple of seasons we will have quite a side by then.

Arnie

Add Storm, Ando, Kalick, Liam Rose, Neill, Slater and Morton to the young gun list and we are looking good. If we can keep hold of those guys for a couple of seasons we will have quite a side by then.

I think I might be bi-polar.
All off season I have been switching from where in the shit for next season to we are in for a great year. Changing week by week as I read whatever is available on the A-League but looking at that list I'm presently feeling confident that we have a great future, I hope I'm still feeling this way when I wake up on Sunday the 12th with a massive hangover.

nearlyyellow

All off season I have been switching from where in the shit for next season to we are in for a great year. Changing week by week as I read whatever is available on the A-League but looking at that list I'm presently feeling confident that we have a great future, I hope I'm still feeling this way when I wake up on Sunday the 12th with a massive hangover.
To pinch a saying from another nearby HAL club:

"In Mossy We Trust" ;)

Arnie

I didn't catch tonight's game against Olympic but I'm depressed again. Maybe we are in for a shit season. God I hope I'm wrong.
Off to slash my wrist now.

Wombat

Funny that nobody has the captain starting. No rationale, but behind Monty, Caceres and even Trifiro.

Hutch says he's only got a season or two left (and after that if we don't have him on club staff in coaching or similar we are out of our minds) but I don't think anybody has earnt the right to start ahead of him yet.

Also interesting is that nobody has Cernak even in their match day squads. He's not a star, but he's definitely benefited from a full pre-season with us and I think we'll see him at least on the bench, perhaps even starting from time to time.

This will be particularly true if (as I suspect) we occasionally change shape around to play someone like Fitzgerald as a pain-in-the-arse buzzing mosquito second striker with Duke in a diamond 4-4-2. I can definitely see him being utilised on the right hand side of a diamond and playing combinations with Roux behind and Duke ahead of him.

What I see in this year's squad is *considerable* versatility ahead of our back 4. But for the want of another CB or two I can almost see us going to a back 3 - perhaps we drop Monty in there and play a real soak and counter game with a super-flexible midfield and forward setup. We simply don't have a 20-goal striker, but with smart structure and intelligent play we might have five or more 5-goal attackers though.

Yawn......maybe we can manage 5 goals between us!

Simon and Duke are miles better than Cernak who is willing but basically a mug.

We don't play with a smart structure......we play with a boring and defensive structure.

Last edited:

pjennings

As per Wombat I think we have a problem at CB. I've been really impressed by Neill and have to have him in and Mane looks willing. Our lack of goals last year was a worry and we don't have a 15-20 goal striker.

With that in mind I think a 4-4-2 diamond suits the personnel we have and I would drop Monty back to CB. I would like to see Neill and Rose develop a Rose/Bozanic type combo on the left and Storm and Fitzy similar on the right. Duke and Mane to partner up front

--------------Reddy
Roux-------Monty---Bosnar---Neill
-------------Hutch--------------
Fitzgerald-------------------Josh Rose
------------Caceres---------
----------Duke--------Mane

Bench Nash, Anderson, Seung-Yong, Trifiro, Vernes

Matty not considered at this stage because of fitness

Wombat

Vernes looks like a gun player to me.

Neill is too raw just now and is a bit suspect defensively....mainly in failing to pick up his man. But he will break into first grade at some stage. He actually looks like he is more of a winger than a fullback.

Mane will create handfuls of chances with his blistering pace.

Capt. Awesome

After watching tonight I have change my line up. Haven't seen Tricky play DM yet but I think his style would suit that. Caceres passing game has improved a lot since last year and was great as the CAM last night. Vernes isn't fit enough yet from all reports. Mane is awesome - when fully integrated into the team and fit he may well be on par with WeeMac in quality - big call I know.

--------Tricky-----Monty---------
Fitz---------Caceres---------Mane

Bench: Vernes - Hutch - Sim- Kim - Nash

tsd

that seems like an apples and oranges comparison to me, but i get ya

Mane is a great pick up because he is something we don't otherwise have. Big enough for holding up a ball, speedy enough outpace defenders and skilled enough to win one on one BUT most importantly always looking to shoot

tsd

Neill is too raw just now and is a bit suspect defensively....mainly in failing to pick up his man. But he will break into first grade at some stage. He actually looks like he is more of a winger than a fullback.

he looked great with the ball, especially in his own half working the ball out in neat little triangles with the sim and hutch but seems to have a lot to learn about defending at a high level, which is exactly what i thought of storm roux this time last year!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred