• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

What *is* actually wrong with football?

dibo

Mike Charlesworth has had quite a bit to say about what's wrong with football, and he's had a few pops at local associations and FNSW.

What do people here think is wrong with football?

style_cafe

I think it is people with their own agenda's, axes to grind. The major thing wrong with Football is it is funded by the bottom up and costs are getting out of hand.

To a certain extent I agree.From State premier league upwards, funding is predominantly sponsorship & self raised.

Below that the massive junior base supports senior football.
The enormous amounts that are raised by the FFA just don`t reach the grassroots.
Local clubs, through their own fundraising can operate self sufficiently.

However, it`s the oncosts of Insurance, Association, FNSW & FFA fees that make the costs top heavy & for some unaffordable.
I can`t imagine how much talent is lost through this.

For starters the Insurance is a joke.Very few claims are paid & the insurance only covers the gap between the Medicare/Personal health payments.
The FFA should have it`s own Insurance division with separate funding paid by FFA & the Government.

FFA fees should be cut altogether.They have enough money through sponsorships & other streams.
Association & Football NSW fees should be reduced by 75% Thus reducing the registration fees paid by the kids to a realistic & reasonable level.
Local clubs should have the season extended with more games,which in turn generates more money for them.
A minimum of 22 games should be played in each competition with pre-season & social games added on where possible.

Massive lobbying of local councils should be a priority for the Football administration from the FFA down to ensure more fields,lighting & funding of our sport.

In essence the Football family should be aiming at an easy entry,cheap, well run product that gives massive enjoyment to every level of our great sport.

Mumbles

Mike Charlesworth has had quite a bit to say about what's wrong with football, and he's had a few pops at local associations and FNSW.

What do people here think is wrong with football?

What's wrong with football? Nothing. It's a great game.

What's wrong with the management and parents?

Parents is easy. Tolerance!
You meet parents from all different demographics with many educated and uneducated opinions. Everyone has the right to express an opinion just don't bag out other people's kids. And it's only a game. If you feel the need to market your kids ability he or she probably won't make it on their own.

Management. Hmmm!
People like to blame coaches. I think the responsibility lies with the management who placed the coach in a role that may not match their ability. Management individuals who serve personal agendas are in almost every club and at all levels of the game. Yep it's often a role filled by volunteers but there still needs to be position description and eligibility criteria to ensure the highest level of professionalism.
Communication of the club's vision/direction. Playing for fun, playing to win, playing for development. Which ever! Communicate it and stick to your word.
Fees - paid thousands in the early years and received benefits in later years. Can't complain. We live in a user pays world and most clubs survive on a shoestring budget. Considering the obesity plague in this country all costs paid by parents or players should be tax deductible.

FNSW - a few good people surrounded by f#ktards. May be justification for genocide. ;)

Dutch coaches - May be justification for genocide. ;)
The robotic Dutch 4-3-3 - please make it stop.
Develop a game play that supports the strength of the Australian player.

Just my 2 cents

Ancient Mariner

What's wrong with football? Nothing. It's a great game.

W

Fees - paid thousands in the early years and received benefits in later years. Can't complain. We live in a user pays world and most clubs survive on a shoestring budget. Considering the obesity plague in this country all costs paid by parents or players should be tax deductible.

User pays?

I played rugby union as a kid. You provided your own shorts, socks and boots. The club provided a jersey that they washed every week. Cost 5 bob a year. Covered all costs. Fully amateur game where club officials put in the same amount of work as do junior football club officials these days. Insurance was covered as well ( I even saw a few easy successful claims).

You call it these days user pays. I call it user gets ripped off.

Last edited:

Mumbles

User pays?

I played rugby union as a kid. You provided your own shorts, socks and boots. The club provided a jersey that they washed every week. Cost 5 bob a year. Covered all costs. Fully amateur game where club officials put in the same amount of work as do junior football club officials these days. Insurance was covered as well ( I even saw a few easy successful claims).

You call it these days user pays. I call it user gets ripped off.

I hear ya!

Played league for 14 years. Rego was $2 and you got a sausage sandwich on signing day. ;)

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I played rugby about 10 years ago, rego was something like $50 and that included shorts, socks and a training t-shirt.

As ludicrous as the fees are, I don't think that's really the issue - after all, it's still an immensely popular sport (though lower fees should mean more numbers, which should mean a better chance of brilliant people coming through). Pretty sure Men's All-Age went to about AA5 when I started refereeing seniors 10 years ago, and we didn't even have an O35 comp, U/21, or multiple U/18 grades, so that shows the growth.

After disappearing from the coast for a few years and, then being back a season (about 2 years ago now), I didn't really think the skill level of MPL/Div 1 (or any grade for that matter) really increased - just the aggression and abuse in the men's comps. Definite worsening of attitude.

For most clubs, the support seemed to drop off. I remember the crowd being 3-4 deep all around the pitch at local derbies, now most crowds are a bit on the poor side. Except for Wongorrah, but I guess there's nothing else to do up that way ;-)

Coaching juniors is where development starts, but often it's just a case of 'who's willing' (absolutely no disrespect to those putting their hands up and doing the best - couldn't do it without you!). Not sure about the A grades.

Being so isolated from Sydney never helps, of course. But that's specifically looking at the coast.

On a higher level? Well, aren't we just NOW starting to see youth development being given a consideration? Which means we're still a long time away from seeing this have an impact upon the international grades. We've seen some positive youth influence in the HAL, but we're still clinging a bit to the old guard (less so now). We seem to be caught in a bit of a transitional phase at the moment.

One thing I've never understood is why state associations began promoting Football Fives over Futsal, when Futsal was identified as part of the nation's development strategy (it has the pathway towards FIFA level matches - heck, even the competition, Vikings Futsal, have their own international competitions). No cohesion.

Of course, while Futsal could complement Football, it's only one part of the picture (and I don't think there's a lot of development at youth levels in Futsal, which is where the future lies. The F-league is fantastic, but I can't see any benefits outside of Futsal for that, not when it's only for adults).

dibo

So Charlesworth is back for another go.

Date - October 29, 2013 - 9:10PM
  • Mike Charlesworth
--artleadmariners-20131029210618306330-620x349.jpg

The Mariners have been one of the success stories of the last few years - but owner Mike Charlesworth says root and branch changes to the game are needed to ensure the long-term prosperity of the flagship league. Photo: Getty Images

In the past few weeks, we have had two very different messages from Australian football.

We've endured the abysmal performances of the Socceroos against Brazil and France and the subsequent sacking of the national coach, yet there has also been three rounds of record crowds and quality football in the A-League.

In the UK in the 1990s, football was revolutionised by a change in the ownership structure and the creation of the Premier League. Similar changes need to be made in Australia.

What are we to make of it all? Is it just a question of changing the national coach and all will be well in the game?

While Ange Postecoglou will make a superb national coach, there is much more to do if we are ever to address some more fundamental problems.

In the UK in the 1990s, football was revolutionised by a change in the ownership structure and the creation of the Premier League. Similar changes need to be made in Australia so that the A-League clubs own the league – not the FFA – and ownership means more than a temporary license.

Without this change, potential investors will shy away from the code and it will be always difficult to attract innovative, imaginative and high-quality management of clubs.

I have already invested many millions in the Mariners but only have a temporary license. As the license gets closer to its expiry date, why would I or any owner invest in a license that they don't own and could lose at the whim of the FFA?

This process reduces investment in the clubs and therefore the A-League is severely affected.

Owners of clubs want the code to grow and contribute to how the game is run. However, unlike almost every major league around the world, we have no stake in the game itself or the A-League other than our temporary licenses.

This means no long-term strategy or organisation takes place that involves the club owners. Club owners should own the club, and collectively own the league, just as the 20 Premier League clubs do in England.

We must get rid of the redundant State Football Associations, making A-League clubs the focal point.

The feudal-like system of the state associations “running” football between the levels of the regional associations and the FFA must be scrapped. Football needs to revolve around a successful A-League, with top-flight clubs given greater responsibility to influence the game in their region, and investors having a genuine stake in the game.

This is what we are trying to do with the Mariners. We want a relationship with Central Coast football that feeds directly into the Mariners, and from there to the FFA.

We need greater community involvement in our football clubs. By making the A-League clubs the centre of the Australian football structure, we should also ensure the community has a stake. Arguably the most successful league in the world right now is Germany's Bundesliga - where every club is 51 per cent community owned.

Here, the establishment of community trusts could achieve similar results. This way we would have greater community involvement, and stronger fan bases for our sport. For clubs like the Mariners, this is essential.

Football must be cheaper for children to play and they must receive first-class coaching. Costs are as high as $250 per child per year and if this continues, families will simply pick other sports.

Finally, we need our children to receive better coaching by developing specific football schools and academies. This needs to be coordinated and run through the A-League clubs.

At the Mariners, we are trying to achieve all of the above. But fundamental change of the A-League structure and ownership is essential to make this a true success, and help to achieve our ultimate goal: for Australia to win the World Cup.

Mike Charlesworth's Six-Point Plan
1. Permanent license arrangements for A-League club owners, not temporary licenses

2. A-League clubs have an equal share in the ownership of the A-League – each club to own 10 percent of the A-League

3. Get rid of the anachronistic state-based football federations. Structure should be regional football associations feeding into A-League clubs which feed into the FFA.

4. Greater community involvement in clubs through adoption of A-League community football trusts to work locally for clubs like the Mariners

5. Reduce the cost of playing the game

6. Better coaching through academies and football schools for all players run by A-League clubs

Mike Charlesworth is the chairman and majority owner of the Central Coast Mariners.

dibo

Let's take his points one by one:

1. Permanent license arrangements for A-League club owners, not temporary licenses

Yeah, probably makes sense in the longer term, but rogue owners have done a lot of damage to the A-League over time (Palmer, Constantine, even Serepisos and Sage not to mention our own owners in their own way...) so I can understand the FFA being pretty cautious on this one.

2. A-League clubs have an equal share in the ownership of the A-League – each club to own 10 percent of the A-League

Comes some time after point 1, surely.

3. Get rid of the anachronistic state-based football federations. Structure should be regional football associations feeding into A-League clubs which feed into the FFA.

You've picked one of the three levels of football 'government' - why is that one the problem, and not the local associations or FFA itself?"

I'm not saying it's wrong, but he's really presenting an answer without laying out an argument beyond name-calling - "feudal" and "anachronistic" - it's not that long ago he was bagging the shit out of local associations so what's caused the change of heart?

It even begs a second question "Is this the best option?

4. Greater community involvement in clubs through adoption of A-League community football trusts to work locally for clubs like the Mariners

If he wants to see it, do it. He's an owner. Mike, knock yourself out. Many people on here would pony up.

Sure, but this is complex. Where to start?

Take a 12 year old kid playing for Gosford City (my old club... *sigh*). Their folks will pay $160.

Of this:
  • FFA takes $12.60,
  • FNSW takes $16.81,
  • the FNSW Accident Support Program is $3.53,
  • CCF takes [I'm not sure, but it used to be in the order of $60],
  • the club keeps the remainder (assuming that the CCF fee *is* $60, the club component is obviously $67.06.
  • On top of this, there are match fees that parents have to pony up - another $5 or so per game, so that adds another $70 or so per year.
So the cost of playing ends up around $230.

I'm not saying there aren't savings to be had, but where is the best place to target?

Even if you eliminate FNSW, you still have $213.19 left - a 7.3% saving.

Eliminate FFA, you have $217.40 - 5.5%.

Eliminate both, it's $200.59 - 12.8%.

That's still a fair whack, and you've buggered up the higher bodies.

There are other things that cost big dollars in the mix. Ground hire is huge. Uniforms, gear and equipment costs. Trophies and presentation days...

The essential problem is that football costs a lot to administer and deliver. Across the country there are 450,000 club footballers playing every winter. The total fees paid by these players comes to over $100 million every year.

Most of this is collected by non-profit organisations run by volunteers, and there aren't that many people working in football (I'm lucky enough to be one of them) so staffing costs aren't a massive part of the mix.

If we're saying the cost of football is the problem, we need to think a little harder about what to do about it than saying *cut cut cut*.

Maybe if there were greater revenue drawn from commercial sources and flowing *down* rather than up, that might make a bigger difference. Imagine for a moment that instead of fees going up to FNSW and FFA, sufficient extra revenue was coming in to the game to have the fees reversed and part of the cost of football was covered by the top of the tree. Turning the $12.50 and $16.81 fees into grants of $12.50 and $16.81 would yield a saving of nearly $60.

That would need another $26 million per year. It's a big sum, but by no means impossible to imagine. TV funding jumped by $10 million or so this year, and with continued expansion of the league, continued growth of crowds and interest, more can be generated. The AFL and NRL are both about $80 million a year ahead of us (a key reason why their games are cheap to play at junior levels...).

I'm not sure smashing holes in the structure of football administration will help.

6. Better coaching through academies and football schools for all players run by A-League clubs

There are something like 5,000 - 6,000 junior players in 'pathway' programs (SAP, NPL, Regional League, etc.).

A-League clubs don't really have the resources to take over coaching these kids. They may want to take over the 'institute' programs, but I'm a little sceptical about the motives of an organisation that would take on institute players to ensure first pick of young talent but not willing to fund a W-League program.

Would they also fund the administration of coach education at elite and grassroots levels? Would they provide support to local associations so they can assist local clubs with player development?

It's a bigger task than a single glib line can possibly capture, so if he's serious he has to have a serious plan too.

sydmariner

Let's take his points one by one:

Yeah, probably makes sense in the longer term, but rogue owners have done a lot of damage to the A-League over time (Palmer, Constantine, even Serepisos and Sage not to mention our own owners in their own way...) so I can understand the FFA being pretty cautious on this one.

Comes some time after point 1, surely.

It even begs a second question "Is this the best option?

You've picked one of the three levels of football 'government' - why is that one the problem, and not the local associations or FFA itself?"

I'm not saying it's wrong, but he's really presenting an answer without laying out an argument beyond name-calling - "feudal" and "anachronistic" - it's not that long ago he was bagging the shit out of local associations so what's caused the change of heart?

If he wants to see it, do it. He's an owner. Mike, knock yourself out. Many people on here would pony up.

Sure, but this is complex. Where to start?

Take a 12 year old kid playing for Gosford City (my old club... *sigh*). Their folks will pay $160.

Of this:
  • FFA takes $12.60,
  • FNSW takes $16.81,
  • the FNSW Accident Support Program is $3.53,
  • CCF takes [I'm not sure, but it used to be in the order of $60],
  • the club keeps the remainder (assuming that the CCF fee *is* $60, the club component is obviously $67.06.
  • On top of this, there are match fees that parents have to pony up - another $5 or so per game, so that adds another $70 or so per year.
So the cost of playing ends up around $230.

I'm not saying there aren't savings to be had, but where is the best place to target?

Even if you eliminate FNSW, you still have $213.19 left - a 7.3% saving.

Eliminate FFA, you have $217.40 - 5.5%.

Eliminate both, it's $200.59 - 12.8%.

That's still a fair whack, and you've buggered up the higher bodies.

There are other things that cost big dollars in the mix. Ground hire is huge. Uniforms, gear and equipment costs. Trophies and presentation days...

The essential problem is that football costs a lot to administer and deliver. Across the country there are 450,000 club footballers playing every winter. The total fees paid by these players comes to over $100 million every year.

Most of this is collected by non-profit organisations run by volunteers, and there aren't that many people working in football (I'm lucky enough to be one of them) so staffing costs aren't a massive part of the mix.

If we're saying the cost of football is the problem, we need to think a little harder about what to do about it than saying *cut cut cut*.

Maybe if there were greater revenue drawn from commercial sources and flowing *down* rather than up, that might make a bigger difference. Imagine for a moment that instead of fees going up to FNSW and FFA, sufficient extra revenue was coming in to the game to have the fees reversed and part of the cost of football was covered by the top of the tree. Turning the $12.50 and $16.81 fees into grants of $12.50 and $16.81 would yield a saving of nearly $60.

That would need another $26 million per year. It's a big sum, but by no means impossible to imagine. TV funding jumped by $10 million or so this year, and with continued expansion of the league, continued growth of crowds and interest, more can be generated. The AFL and NRL are both about $80 million a year ahead of us (a key reason why their games are cheap to play at junior levels...).

I'm not sure smashing holes in the structure of football administration will help.

There are something like 5,000 - 6,000 junior players in 'pathway' programs (SAP, NPL, Regional League, etc.).

A-League clubs don't really have the resources to take over coaching these kids. They may want to take over the 'institute' programs, but I'm a little sceptical about the motives of an organisation that would take on institute players to ensure first pick of young talent but not willing to fund a W-League program.

Would they also fund the administration of coach education at elite and grassroots levels? Would they provide support to local associations so they can assist local clubs with player development?

It's a bigger task than a single glib line can possibly capture, so if he's serious he has to have a serious plan too.
& 2 think that fat turd:)poo:) (palmer) wanted 2 be pm

Last edited:

midfielder

Football system must change for A-League to boom

Mike Charlesworth is the chairman and majority owner of the Central Coast Mariners.... and he wrote this article for the SMH...

http://m.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/how...029-2we9x.html

In the past few weeks, we have had two very different messages from Australian football.
We've endured the abysmal performances of the Socceroos against Brazil and France and the subsequent sacking of the national coach, yet there has also been three rounds of record crowds and quality football in the A-League.

What are we to make of it all? Is it just a question of changing the national coach and all will be well in the game?

While Ange Postecoglou will make a superb national coach, there is much more to do if we are ever to address some more fundamental problems.

In the UK in the 1990s, football was revolutionised by a change in the ownership structure and the creation of the Premier League. Similar changes need to be made in Australia so that the A-League clubs own the league – not the FFA – and ownership means more than a temporary license.

Without this change, potential investors will shy away from the code and it will be always difficult to attract innovative, imaginative and high-quality management of clubs.

I have already invested many millions in the Mariners but only have a temporary license. As the license gets closer to its expiry date, why would I or any owner invest in a license that they don't own and could lose at the whim of the FFA?

This process reduces investment in the clubs and therefore the A-League is severely affected.
Owners of clubs want the code to grow and contribute to how the game is run. However, unlike almost every major league around the world, we have no stake in the game itself or the A-League other than our temporary licenses.

This means no long-term strategy or organisation takes place that involves the club owners. Club owners should own the club, and collectively own the league, just as the 20 Premier League clubs do in England.

We must get rid of the redundant State Football Associations, making A-League clubs the focal point.

The feudal-like system of the state associations “running” football between the levels of the regional associations and the FFA must be scrapped. Football needs to revolve around a successful A-League, with top-flight clubs given greater responsibility to influence the game in their region, and investors having a genuine stake in the game.

This is what we are trying to do with the Mariners. We want a relationship with Central Coast football that feeds directly into the Mariners, and from there to the FFA.

We need greater community involvement in our football clubs. By making the A-League clubs the centre of the Australian football structure, we should also ensure the community has a stake. Arguably the most successful league in the world right now is Germany's Bundesliga - where every club is 51 per cent community owned.

Here, the establishment of community trusts could achieve similar results. This way we would have greater community involvement, and stronger fan bases for our sport. For clubs like the Mariners, this is essential.

Football must be cheaper for children to play and they must receive first-class coaching. Costs are as high as $250 per child per year and if this continues, families will simply pick other sports.

Finally, we need our children to receive better coaching by developing specific football schools and academies. This needs to be coordinated and run through the A-League clubs.
At the Mariners, we are trying to achieve all of the above. But fundamental change of the A-League structure and ownership is essential to make this a true success, and help to achieve our ultimate goal: for Australia to win the World Cup.

Mike Charlesworth's Six-Point Plan
6. Better coaching through academies and football schools for all players run by A-League club

midfielder

This article is heaps long and I have copied only a small part ... but it is worth reading...

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/in-sear...alysis-on-the-a-league-business-model-part-1/

Part One of this two-part series examines the history of the establishment of the A-League, comparing the PFA’s Australian Premier League plan, with the competition devised by John O’Neill.

“The key to sustaining competitive advantage is the business model being economically viable”

The New Business Road Test - John Mullins

With increases in crowd attendances, television audiences, and membership sales for the last couple of seasons, the A-League administrators – Football Federation Australia (FFA) – is still, and eternally will be asking this central question. During the deterioration of the National Soccer League (NSL), and the birth of the current national competition, the question of creating a sustainable business model, was asked with varying degrees of solutions, and subsequent outcomes.

The key period of analysis is from 2002 to 2004, when the Professional Footballers Australia (PFA) embarked on investing $500,000 into asking the question on whether, or if, Australia could sustain a national elite football competition. This document plays almost a forgotten part in the formation of the A-League. However many of its key recommendations were largely ignored by FFA CEO at the time, John O’Neill, yet over time parts of it has emerged into the club’s strategy to grow attendances.

So why examine a document that was not embraced fully by the FFA? Because many of the strategies add to the analysis at present on how to develop a sustainable business model for A-League clubs, and also for competition as a whole. In an interview with John Stensholt for the Australian Financial Review, David Gallop admitted that FFA is still trying to find solutions to ease the financial burden on club owners who still lose millions dollars. In the 2011-12 A-League season the clubs lost a combined $27 million dollars. As Gallop said to Stensholt:

“The financial stability of the clubs is something that needs critical attention from us and I think thenext rights deal (with Fox Sports and SBS) will assist in that regard. We have owners who put their hands in their own pockets and we need to help them where we can. We are considering a range of options in that regard.”

Developing a sustainable model is an ideal held by anyone who commences or manages a business, and that definitely includes professional sport. Whilst fans might wince at the thought of examining financial sustainability of clubs that are propped up by rich people, if these clubs don’t make any money, all fan’s will have is memories and no club.

W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne, in their book Blue Ocean Strategy
ir
aims to develop a theoretical framework for companies to build sustainable profitable growth, based on research of 150 strategic moves across 30 industries. The title became a management buzz word, though many would fail to fully understand its meaning.

midfielder

Another article from the same guy again very long so will only copy a small part ...

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/a-league-attendance-figures-positive-signs-plenty-of-opportunity/

At conclusion of the regular season, Football Federation CEO, David Gallop, made another positive announcement:

“This season more Australians have watched the Hyundai A-League live in our venues than ever before. What they’ve experienced is the best standard of football our competition has ever seen and the best live atmosphere in Australian sport.”

“The growth is the end product of hard work and investment by 10 clubs. I thank the fans all over Australia for making this an unforgettable season.”

The aggregate attendance figure of 1,666,875 in Season 8, is the highest in the A-League’s short history. Whilst average attendance increased 17.6% on last year (third highest year), it is still down from the peak of 14,610 in Season 3.

midfielder

Mike Charlesworth the new owner of the Mariners wrote in the fin review.. this follows on from a previous article he wrote for the SMH last month… I like this guy …

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/ffa_needs_to_act_now_to_secure_football_Jc9cCKTsXY9MkD8Ld8ajVO

FFA needs to act now to secure football’s future

MIKE CHARLESWORTH
The expansion of the global football economy shows an interesting trend, especially in those leagues and clubs not necessarily recognised as the most competitive in the world.

In the past few months alone, Rupert Murdoch has invested heavily in the forthcoming Indian Super League; Manchester City’s Qatari owners have bought a $100 million stake in New York FC; David Beckham is poised to form a new MLS club in Miami; and, in England, the Central Coast Mariners’ sister club Sheffield United, at the bottom of the third-tier division (League One), has attracted major financial backing from Saudi Arabia’s Prince Abdullah Bin Mosaad.

The international football industry is clearly growing at every level, so where does that leave Australia and our A-League?

Certainly we, too, have seen exciting growth: in match attendance, TV viewing figures and playing standards. However, is it enough to keep up with our global second-division competitors in India, the US, or even England’s third tier?

Given my belief in the future of football in Australia – the very reason I invested in the Central Coast Mariners – you might question my logic, bearing in mind A-League club licences expire, and historically there has been a legion of failed and bitter investors.

So what is different now that gives me this confidence? Firstly and most importantly, Football Federation Australia has realised the A-League has to spearhead football’s growth – just like the leading professional league in every other major football nation. Secondly, it is clear that international investment in the game locally will only add to our global appeal, thus developing the league at a faster pace.

The A-League clubs are instrumental in developing the future Socceroo players before they typically move to European clubs, and, moreover, the key to inspiring kids to take up the game rather than other sports, which are significantly cheaper to play.

COSTS A KEY ISSUE
This is where the problem lies. The costs for children are astronomical and, quite simply, the most expensive in the world. In Sydney, clubs charge up to $250 annually, and if kids wish to compete at representative level, the cost runs into the thousands. It is much cheaper overseas, where they pay a fraction what we pay.

The current system and charging mechanism is plainly wrong and needs to change before the sport is outmanoeuvred and outmuscled financially by the AFL.

The finger’s been pointed many times but there are simply too many levels of administration and, in turn, a wastage of millions of dollars.

So how does Australia develop a strategy both for competing on the international pitch and for attracting international investors? The Football Federation Australia’s administration under chief executive David Gallop has made steps forward, commissioning a report into the future structure of the A-League, which will hopefully provide a safer environment in which to invest.

Where A-League owners differ with the FFA is that clubs believe in a separation of the league from the FFA similar to structures everywhere else in the world. The FFA believes we are stronger and safer under their own management and control, and the relationship between clubs and the FFA has improved significantly, although dialogue is needed about the length of time the FFA will issue licences to club owners.

A GOOD START
The FFA also seems to stumble over the pressing problem of funding at grassroots level. It has recently asked all A-League clubs to take on greater regional responsibility by developing club academies along the lines of those in Europe, and this is clearly a step in the right direction.

It is a good start, but if the less-advantaged kids take up the AFL or rugby codes because they are cheaper to play, then we are losing out on a plethora of talent and will be keeping Australia firmly in the second or third division of world football. I’d like to see an independent inquiry into the costs for both children and amateur players nationally, and assess where this money is being spent, ultimately to find a solution that helps build the foundations for a far stronger A-League, and an environment to attract larger investors to take the game to another level commercially.

It’s likely to take 20 years for football to be competing on a level playing field with AFL commercially, but now’s the time to act and to implement a long-term strategy while we have the momentum with us.

Mike Charlesworth is the chairman and owner of the Central Coast Mariners.

dibo

If that were an assignment handed in at school, it'd be covered in red ink.

He hasn't advanced much from his previous article where he posted the below points:
  6. Better coaching through academies and football schools for all players run by A-League club
He hasn't addressed any of the unsupported assumptions behind his points, he's just merrily running along with a set of conclusions without a supporting argument. I laid out the reasons why I think he needs to go back and do some homework a few posts ago.

eenfish

I'm with Dibo. He does a lot of good talking about things need to be fixed, but still isn't really addressing what is wrong or backing up things that he thinks are wrong. Its good talk to be like "we need to reduce costs for young people!" but then flip flop it and says there need to be bigger community involvement through community trusts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max Clark