• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Wasted Squad Positions

marinersman

dibo said:
midfielder said:
Skilbeck you indirectly are questioning LM as a decision maker when it comes to our squad.

it is allowed! ;)

Exactly Dibo.

I'm not about to go into some crazy critical essay on Lawrie but I've been wondering in my funny little head lately what we have been doing with Redmayne, McAndrew and to a lesser extent Porter season just gone.

It seems to me that McAndrew and Redmayne at the moment (I guess NYL will change this now) were very much absolute last resort type players. It has done thier development no good having them watch from the stand last season and not playing.

They need game time and just training with the squad isn't enough for them to develop and mature.

Surely there were times during last season when he could have thrown on McAndrew and used Porter more? You know, give them game time and experience so the can grow and learn what it is like to compete at this level. LM does seem reluctant to me to give the young blokes a go. I just think that if we are going to sign these young blokes we have a duty to develop them further looking to the future. Lawrie could be doing better in this area.

I have thoguht that more than once we sign CC locals just because they are locals. Matty is a good example. I wish him very well and I hope he develops into a true goal scorer, but on the evidence so far, I'm not sure he'll make it and he has signed a new two year deal. I don't know if he would have got a contract at any other HAL club if we didn't re-sign him.

I would also let Stringers go. I'd rather give a young State League CD a go and look to the future. Not sure he's up to standard anymore.

midfielder

Stilbeck   I not saying there is anything wrong with your post in fact it is quite healthy to question signings and players.

However once you raise questions  eight players ( 36% of the squad) in our squad then you are questioning the selection of the management team of that squad.............thats is not a bad thing.

As I said this is the first season that LM has had where he has not been at a small (fund wise) club ............an underdog ............... but he has funds to equal most..... and a number of players off contract.....and everbody expecting we make the finals.  It is a big test to win the matches you should win and this is LM test.............I think he will be up to it.

Arabmariner

marinersman said:
dibo said:
midfielder said:
Skilbeck you indirectly are questioning LM as a decision maker when it comes to our squad.

it is allowed! ;)

Surely there were times during last season when he could have thrown on McAndrew and used Porter more? You know, give them game time and experience so the can grow and learn what it is like to compete at this level. LM does seem reluctant to me to give the young blokes a go. I just think that if we are going to sign these young blokes we have a duty to develop them further looking to the future. Lawrie could be doing better in this area.
You could be right there.James Holland thought he,d get more of a chance at the scum.

S

soccersensei

There will always be players missing out in a squad and James is pretty spot on when he says they "can't all be world beaters" (Well least not till 10 years from now and we are the most successful and lucrative football club in the country and they change the cap ;D) As to game time for them... LM has to keep his best team on the park, the skill level is too close for any other such consideration. And for mine, anything less than 4 zip before LM considered sticking Mc Andrew on for his personal development would deeply concern me.

Re their development however: They get to train consistently with/and consistently play training matches against, their team mates, who as we are all well aware are some of the best footballers in Australia, under arguably the best coach, with top standard fitness coaching etc etc... That (with Lightning) has to sate their development till they either catch a break through injury, or win their spot. It's the way it is, and the way it needs to be I think.

On the players mentioned -
Porter has shown significant promise IMO, and I like the guy! :)
Redmayne - youth league should be telling.
Trott - as I've posted before - I believe as a shot stopper he shows promise, but as per others I'm very concerned with his ability to command the box.
Mc Andrew - Well it's not an easy squad to crack, but I'd be tempted to say that if he can't get a look in over the next season or two then he's probably wasting space... But that said, people/players develop at their own pacing and its surprising how much someone can change or develop at any given time, it doesn't always just happen early, so obviously only LM is ever really going to be in a box seat to appraise whether he's got "the right stuff" so too speak... Though I'd be interested to hear some updates from say Greenpole or anyone else who is regularly attending Lightning matches on his quality there...?

Matty S -Well I've seen him bury them in those training games, so I've personally no doubt it's only a matter of time. I remember somewhere back think it was Fish posting something like "When he gets the time on the park, he'll start scoring, simple" Everyone has surely noted the amount in Matty's growth over the last year, which includes a national call up and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he featured strongly in the Olympics. He doesn't get skittled off the ball anywhere near so much, made some good assists, great runs, decent defense and always worked exceptionally hard, he also scored but was denied, and all in only what amounted to probably 5 or so matches worth of total game time over the season. Two year contract is perfect, long enough to be sure one way or the other i think as to where he will go. Though I think he's going to crack it.

On Macallister... Can anyone tell me how much pace he has? If you could you rate him against some of the other HAL speedsters I'd be very grateful.

Best Wishes all
SS

Wombat

Trotty and Stringers are probably the most under threat, presuming that Brown is gone.

All nice blokes but I don't think any of them are worth re-signing.

I like Porter but struggle to see that he will get much game time as we have a strong midfield.

FMMH

marinersman said:
I would also let Stringers go. I'd rather give a young State League CD a go and look to the future. Not sure he's up to standard anymore.

If you were to let Stringers go this year, you would have to pay out his contract anyway (or at least part of it) which in my eyes would be throwing away more money then what its worth. Have him as a squad player for the year and see if he can push for a spot, or at least put some pressure on the starting XI.

Jesus

Jesus
I think he was suggesting when his contract is up. I dont see stringers getting much game time without some injuries, and then assuming that we dont sign another cb ahead of him

Mini In Bay 6

I think also what really hurt Porter's chances in 07 / 08 was that atrocious red card and ban from that idiot ref.

He was just getting some game time and could have become the incumbent and forced others to dislodge him (the best situation to be in) - but the delay meant someone else got the go ahead and he lost crucial match fitness, and when he came back there was no place for him.

SNOWMARINER

Brown has to be gone. Porter far from impressed me and think he should spend a year or two in a lower league and prove himself.Simon impressed me early in the season but given more game time later in the season seemed to get worse and really needs to find the killer instinct or also be dumped.

Redmayne I have'nt seen play, been told he's pretty good and should be kept on, Trott on the other hand I'm not so sure of and if Danny is out till the end of November we should look for a replacment.

Ruthless judgments perhaps but I like my team to win.

T

thanman

Dundee Utd FC & a Mariner said:
marinersman said:
dibo said:
midfielder said:

it is allowed! ;)

You could be right there.James Holland thought he,d get more of a chance at the scum.
and he did.. but we dont need the homo.
we need to have the young ones out there playing  and proving themselves.

dibo

thanman said:
and he did.. but we dont need the homo.
we need to have the young ones out there playing  and proving themselves.

leave the homophobic stuff out.

Kareem

a bit offtopic but i swear i saw Matty Simon (or someone lookin same as him)(90% sure) at Pluim last Wednesday night (at East Gosford vs Berkley)...he used to play for East Gosford?
also the next day i saw some guy who was a dead ringer for Porter (95% sure) drivin in a gold forrester thru gosford!

coast

haha yeah matty did play for east gosford as a jumior, was in my age group, played with a few good mates from school. It's not unlikely that you spotted him at the game

mustapha_beer

I'm willing to give Simon one more season before giving up on him, but I still reckon we need another striker. At the moment, we have:

Sasho - scores goals, but not much else...needs someone beside him who is willing to do most of the running.
Mrdja - Unproven, because of injury problems.
Simon - Unproven, because of complete inability to put ball in net (I'd love to see that change, believe me.....)
McAllister - ????? Unproven, dare I say......

Others - ??? Please, don't say Kwas......

Yes, we have a few attacking midfielders to create the chances, and I realise we have a salary cap to contend with, but our strikeforce, as it stands at the moment, doesn't inspire a huge amount of confidence in me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred