• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Wasted Squad Positions

skilbeck

i dont like starting negative threads, but is it just me or do others agree with me if not I know im going to have some angry responses. Im just concerned about the Mariners wasting squad positions and salary cap dollars on players that dont appear to be up to A League standard. Players that have been mentioned as lacking A League standard include: Trott, Simon, O Grady, McAndrew, Porter, Brown, Macallister and Redmayne.

I personally believe that Lawrie sees something in Simon and Macallister that indicates that they will come good. The fact that we considering a 4th keeper while Danny is suspended is indicative that the club probably dont see Trott or Redmayne (yet) up to standard and therefore if they do find another keeper one of them needs to be released as 4 keepers in a squad of 23 sacrifices depth on other parts of the field. I get the feeling that McAndrew is on the squad for the sake of filling up an U20 spot. God only knows what Lawrie has in mind for Porter, though he could be the Gumps replacement and a centre midfield impact player. Brown is almost a definite release this year and O Grady has a year left on his contract and if it turns out in the year that he is nothing but deadwood he will probably be released. Another mention is Mrdja who if he can solve his injury woes he will be right but until then he is a wasted squad position and a big chunk of the salary cap, though this year we do get the option of cut him or keep him.

I hope im wrong and that all these players turn out to be dangerous, competitive and make a valuable contribution to our squad this year

FFC Mariner

Perhaps before slagging Porter you might want to watch him play in his natural position?? I did on Saturday and he was head and shoulders the best player on the park.

Sean

How is Mcallister lacking of A-league standard? we haven't seen anything of him yet.
I will answer this thread and the "wasted squad positions" with a quote taken from "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"

Assumptions are the Mother of all f**k ups.

Deej

Perm said:
I will answer this thread and the "wasted squad positions" with a quote taken from "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"

Brother lol

kevrenor

skilbeck said:
.... Players that have been mentioned as lacking A League standard include: Trott, Simon, O Grady, McAndrew, Porter, Brown, Macallister and Redmayne.

In the case of Porter he has shown some promise when given a chance, and that is the only way a young player will attain 'A-League standard'.

Redmayne as a keeper is far too young, and has had no chances so that would be a very big call at this stage.

Brown was an A-League player and might still surprise, however he is very much in the twilight of his career.

Simon I would give one more season only unless he comes up to standard after being played enough.

Trotty for me just does not command his area or communicate well enough but is still a young keeper.

skilbeck

kevrenor said:
skilbeck said:
.... Players that have been mentioned as lacking A League standard include: Trott, Simon, O Grady, McAndrew, Porter, Brown, Macallister and Redmayne.

In the case of Porter he has shown some promise when given a chance, and that is the only way a young player will attain 'A-League standard'.

Redmayne as a keeper is far too young, and has had no chances so that would be a very big call at this stage.

Brown was an A-League player and might still surprise, however he is very much in the twilight of his career.

Simon I would give one more season only unless he comes up to standard after being played enough.

Trotty for me just does not command his area or communicate well enough but is still a young keeper.

Ive just listed these names from other threads where there has been a criticism of a player and where I can half agree with the criticism hence no mention of Elrich and Kwasnik, 2 of the most slagged off mariners players from this forum. Id give Redmayne a few years to come good but leave him on the train on squad or put him in the youth side until he comes good and as i mentioned earlier having 4 squad keepers is definitely wasting a spot, because Danny is going to be on the squad list for his suspension unless we strike him and sign a player for the time suspended and then release the keeper and sign danny. Porter has now been with the club for 2 years and should be challenging for a regular bench spot and maybe im being impatient with him but im surprised that he hasnt done it, I hope he gets a regular bench spot this year and perhaps even some starts in position. With regard to Macallister, his goalscoring record leaves a lot to be desired, though he is an unknown quantity in the a league, there will be a lingering doubt until he proves me wrong.

Just as a matter of interest what is Porters natural position and style of play: is he the creative playmaker we need?

Sean

DJ said:
Perm said:
How is Mcallister lacking of A-league standard? we haven't seen anything of him yet.

Brother lol
;)

dibo

there will always be some players who are somewhat 'green' for the standard they're playing at - consider kwasnik who
* in season one was raw with some potential,
* in season two was much maligned though led the line and top-scored, and
* in season three became one of the best attacking weapons, scored 5 important goals (while carrying injuries most of the year)

and is still only 24...

so some players will need to develop, and grow into the roles the club has in mind for them.

jury's out on macallister obviously, and i agree with chris on the others.

trott, simon, mcandrew, porter and redmayne are all a couple of years younger than that now.

Jesus

Jesus
Red wil surely be the youth teams keeper. Hence the 4th keeper thing is disregarded. I personally am not sure trott is up to it. But he played well against qld, notably soon after he played for lightning, and the trials etc. But then struggled at xmas, though he had not played for ages.

My thoughts on simon have been posted before.

Porter is a very skillful player with loads of potential IMO. Will rise to be a useful player this year as he gets a chance to stay match fit playing in youth side when not in 1sts.

There is no point having young players and not allowing them time to adapt. The major problem is the short season, as well as the previous lack of a youth league. The youth league will allow younger players a better chance of  playing well for the 1sts. A longer season is the main need now.

a.v

I thought Porter was quite good during V3, when he came on the park.

Quite often he caught teams out on the counter attack (much like Gumps did throughout the season), with his pace.

He will benefit from the youth league also, being able to gain experience and form. Out of the fringe players he is the one that I most want to see in V4.

Jaza_SFC

Keep in mind also the salary cap means that not all players can be your ideal first-teamer. There have to be cheaper players, who are not as good as their counterparts who are paid more (for the most part).

A squad of 23 can't all be world-beaters.

pjennings

As long as Porter is not at right back I will be happy - he is a midfielder and struggles at the back.

Rowdy

kevrenor said:
skilbeck said:

5 nails, all hit on the head.

Porter had to beg Lawrie to play at Lightning this season, clearly showing his intent for the forthcoming HAL4. I do know that FFA had to scrutinise whether he had played/started "xyz" number of games/minutes/starts?? to be allowed to drop back to a lower league than that of the HAL.

Comparing this situation with Matty Simon I'd assume that he 'may' have also been able to have been eligible to drop back down as well ??. I humbly stand to be corrected, but if he is I don't understand why he hasn't. Surely getting some game time in prior to pre-season would greatly increase his development and most importantly his confidence when it comes down to knocking in goals, even more so now that Macallister has just ben signed and he will be fighting with Sash, D-MAC & possibly Mrdj for a starting spot.

If your not knocking them in at WSL level you're not going to be confident of knocking them in at the HAL level, which could explain why he was a spectator at Pluim Park on Sat nite at Lightning game. "I've been signed by CCM, so I'm 'in', no need to play at Lightning for a contract as I already have one!". don't get me wrong, I rate Matty and am dying to see him knock in his first goal for CCM

But putting it all into perspective, Brad Porter is also ALREADY on contract for CCM, but obviously by running out for Lightning, wants to be much more than just another squad player.

marinermick

Smitta is obviously more focussed, ambitious and driven.

If you speak to him you would know he is very mature and intelligent. This may give him a better persepctive on his his career and how to achieve his football goals more than Matty.

midfielder

Skilbeck you indirectly are questioning LM as a decision maker when it comes to our squad.

I have had a long held and posted belief that LM is perhaps the best coach of young players in the country............further he has proved over the Hal years to have the ability to mould the team into finals a number of times.

The big test is HAL 4............we are no longer the poor little club.............you could argue we are one of the top clubs now, especially money wise. The expectation of fans and media will be different than in Hal 1, 2 & 3. We are expected to make the four now.

IMO I think LM will come through,...............squad make up when you take into account the salary cap player numbers is a tricky thing............in LM we trust I say.

skilbeck

im not questioning LM, i know the squad that is signed as of August this year will come through for us. As for Porter, McAndrew and Redmayne im definitely not questioning their ability as they are unproven. For Porter and McAndrew Id like to know what style of play is most natural to them and like to know how they complement the squad if anyone knows.

For Redmayne is it possible to have him as part of the academy or the youth team and remove him from our senior squad list because while he is said to have potential, having 4 goalies in a 23 man squad isnt doing us any favors. But I guess danny getting suspended was going to be a hard issue for us to deal with. I for one hope Trott is up for it and can fill in for Danny and that we dont need another keeper at all but i guess we will see how the club deals with it

For Simon, id say he has one year left to prove himself same with O Grady

trev

true as much as i love matty i think he needs to be more accurate this yr or we may have to look else where

Kareem

i think that Norway is a better league than Australia at the moment. That said strikers should still be able to score a bit more regulrly. McKinna has a way of getting the best out of his players- insert project "Kwassie", "Jedi" etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred