• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Turbulence (then calm sailing, then turbulence) thread.

rbakersmith

@rbs .. err, so, what? :confused: You don't believe that we have lost a degree of community support? I think we have, and that's why I think the new mariners CEO will have to work bloody hard to reinvigorate community support. Matter of fact, the whole CCM operation will have to work bloody hard. And he's the man at the helm now, so the burden will rest with him.

I'm not saying that there hasn't been a loss of support... I just don't think that it's the doom and gloom scenario that you're making it out to be. As far as memberships go, I think we'll be up around the same numbers that we had this season.

In terms of "reinvigorat[ing] community support", I think that work had already been started by Peter Storrie - and the club certainly seems to be out in the community more than it used to be. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but relations with Council and CCF also appear to be improving, so it's not like Shaun will be starting from the nadir of six months ago.

nearlyyellow

I simply don't believe that's true.
Again, errr, what? :confused: You don't believe that we have lost a degree of community support? I don't think I have overstated my case, I haven't said that we *are* stuffed, just that serious work is required to regain the level of community support we had a few years ago. People around the Coast who aren't rusted on supporters simply regard the mariners as a "bunch of losers". :( There is a fair portion of "fans" who really are fair weather fans, and they have deserted us, for the time being. They need to be brought back into the fold, whether by us winning more games, more attractive football, or more work by the management team.

localpom

Again, errr, what? :confused: You don't believe that we have lost a degree of community support? I don't think I have overstated my case, I haven't said that we *are* stuffed, just that serious work is required to regain the level of community support we had a few years ago. People around the Coast who aren't rusted on supporters simply regard the mariners as a "bunch of losers". :( There is a fair portion of "fans" who really are fair weather fans, and they have deserted us, for the time being. They need to be brought back into the fold, whether by us winning more games, more attractive football, or more work by the management team.
I agree we have lost some of the community but believe it will be easy enough to get most of that back. No more home games in Sydney, get out and actively promote the club out in the community, play attractive football, re-engage with the local football clubs etc. We seem to going in the right direction. As far as people around the Coast go, yes there is a fair few that are dismissive of the Mariners but in my experience they are either people with no football background that hate the sport, or even worse in my view...the Euro snobs, who will watch games on the other side of the world but won't rock up to an A league game thinking it's not up to the standard of the EPL. Mostly, Coasties hold the Mariners in a positive light and there are plenty more potential "rusted on" fans to lock in.

nearlyyellow

[citation needed]
Amongst the people you talk to, not the like minded Mariners fans on here, or those consistently attending games , etc., you know, the *other* people, like the lady behind the counter at the newsagent, like the guy at the service station, like someone you talk to on the bus, they are the Central Coast Community who are not like you. They are the ones who are saying the Mariners are losers. They are the ones you should talk to. So, what, you want me to record names and addresses to cite to you that I have had these conversations? A trifle unreasonable I think. Show me a citation that we haven't lost a degree of community support.
If you can't please go and look at the attendance stats. at http://www.ultimatealeague.com/records.php?type=att&season=2014-15 and note that over the last three seasons we have fallen to having the lowest average attendance in the League. Now that's a citation. :(

rbakersmith

Show me a citation that we haven't lost a degree of community support.

Again, you're putting words into my mouth:
I'm not saying that there hasn't been a loss of support

If you can't please go and look at the attendance stats. at http://www.ultimatealeague.com/records.php?type=att&season=2014-15 and note that over the last three seasons we have fallen to having the lowest average attendance in the League. Now that's a citation. :(

Lousy scheduling + poor on-field performance is always going to translate into lower crowd figures. To claim that the drop is directly related to the off-field issues is misguided.

nikko

Suspended
Brent Griffiths loves getting out doing his community work for the Mariners at Pulse Nightclub.

Top bloke. Loves the Mariners and talking to the Punters

rbakersmith

Cite please? I haven't said that at all.

That's certainly what it sounds like when you write:
Show me a citation that we haven't lost a degree of community support.

localpom

We will ( or bloody well should) have a much improved scheduling for next year. 2 x home games against WSW, Sydney and the Jets, and Victory? (not sure on that one). Also, a return of the NYE game. If we recruit ok and play an attacking brand of football then crowds should increase fairly significantly next year.

nearlyyellow

We will ( or bloody well should) have a much improved scheduling for next year. 2 x home games against WSW, Sydney and the Jets, and Victory? (not sure on that one). Also, a return of the NYE game. If we recruit ok and play an attacking brand of football then crowds should increase fairly significantly next year.
Yes, and the new CEO has to work bloody hard to get good scheduling, and the new TD.Coach has to get the right team assembled, and the game play has to become, or stay as attractive as it has been recently. Bloody hard work ahead, imo.

dibo

I was replying to this bit:
Because while the pigeon hasn't flown yet, the coop doors are almost open. :(
I don't think the coop doors are opening. It's not even close to being in FFA's interest to allow us to move. Ultimately, FFA will be keener to see a club in northern Sydney in addition to us in the next decade or so, leveraging the 60 thousand-odd player base.

This bit:
He's going to have to work bloody hard. :-|
I have no disagreement with - we do need to restore the community trust and affection.

radar

There is a fair portion of "fans" who really are fair weather fans, and they have deserted us, for the time being.

...as is the case across the board in just about every code. This isn't anything new, and the solution you suggest is as old as professional sport. We start winning and the crowds will come back.

When we were combining our crap results with back-office tomfoolery that simply gave the more serious members something to kvetch about, threaten to hand in their memberships etc etc but you and I know that with a little bit of positivity across the off-season they will all be back in their seats with a renewed sense of enthusiasm.

And as far as the ' fair weather' fans go, happy office, happy players will hopefully result in results on the board and all those fly-by-nighters will soon jump back on to share that winning feeling.

nearlyyellow

I don't think the coop doors are opening. It's not even close to being in FFA's interest to allow us to move. Ultimately, FFA will be keener to see a club in northern Sydney in addition to us in the next decade or so, leveraging the 60 thousand-odd player base.
I have no disagreement with - we do need to restore the community trust and affection.
WARNING: Don't read this post if you aren't even slightly bookish.

“Almost Open” or "Almost Closed" are terms that may mean different things to different people. Though most people would probably agree that "almost open" vs. "almost closed" is a continuum ie. varying shades of grey, and not just black or a white. Eg. a light enough shade of grey is “almost open” and a dark enough shade of grey is “almost closed”. The arguments are over just where those thresholds lie.

When I said "almost open" what I meant to imply was that while still closed the doors were under threat of opening. I did not mean to imply that the doors were actually open, nor that they "are opening".

btw. I'm a glass half full kind of guy when it comes to the Mariners. :)

Semantics, bloody semantics. (God I love this board) ;)

pjennings

Yes, and the new CEO has to work bloody hard to get good scheduling, and the new TD.Coach has to get the right team assembled, and the game play has to become, or stay as attractive as it has been recently. Bloody hard work ahead, imo.

We did have a particularly bad year. Only 3 NSW games, inconsistent scheduling, multiple games against low drawing teams, no NYE game and perennial talk of re-location no doubt played its part. Some fairly dire performances also played their part. The dire performances are up to Tony to turn around and he at least seems to have the guys enjoying their football again. Shaun's job is a lot trickier. Ideally we will play on Saturday night but of course that is not likely to happen. However, we need to lock in the important ones at the right time e.g. NYE.

Given that this unbalanced schedule is likely to continue we need to make the most of this season when we have 6 NSW games, 2 games against MVC and a NYE game. The trick I think is make the lesser drawing teams an event.

We will have 14 home games - 1 of which will be a regional round. 2 against NUJ, 2 against SFC, 2 against WSW, 2 against MVC and 2 against the NIX.

One of the NIX games should be the regional round. The Jets, SFC, WSW and MVC games should be our largest crowds, against NSW teams and the champions. My idea would be to market the low drawing teams under a theme such as 'Holiday with the Mariners' and to play them over the holiday period when we have a chance to draw holiday crowds. These games would be played on

Saturday Dec 26th 2015 7pm
Thursday 31st Dec 2015 6:30 pm followed by NYE fireworks at 9pm following NYE races
Saturday 9th January 2016 7pm
Tuesday 26th January 2016 6:30 pm with 9pm Australia Day Weekend fireworks as a culmination of Australia Day celebrations held in and around Gosford

This would be my home draw

Saturday, 10 October 2015-------1-------h-------CCS-----MVC-----Champions
Saturday, 24 October 2015-------3-------h-------CCS-----NUJ-----Derby
Saturday, 7 November 2015-------FFA Cup Final
Saturday, 14 November 2015------5-------h-------CCS-----ROAR
Saturday, 28 November 2015------7-------h-------CCS----SFC-----NSW
Saturday, 12 December 2015------9-------h-------CCS-----WSW-----NSW
Saturday, 26 December 2015------11------h-------CCS-----NIX-----Boxing Day------HWM
Thursday, 31 December 2015------12------h-------CCS-----MCI-----NYE-------------HWM
Saturday, 9 January 2016--------14------h-------CCS-----GRY-------------------------HWM
Tuesday, 26 January 2016--------16------h-------CCS-----ADL-----Australia Day-----HWM

Saturday, 6 February 2016-------18------h-------CCS-----SFC-----NSW
Saturday, 20 February 2016------20------h-------TAS-----NIX-----Regional
Saturday, 5 March 2016----------22------h-------CCS-----NUJ-----NSW
Saturday, 19 March 2016---------24------h-------CCS-----MVC-----Champions

midfielder

Confirming earlier reports from News ...

Mariners have drawn a line under their flirtation with playing games in North Sydney, with the club’s new CEO pledging there will be 13 home fixtures at Central Coast Stadium next season.

Flagging two new signings within the week, CEO Shaun Mielekamp said the club’s future depended on reconnecting with the Central Coast region, after Mariners’ on-and-off-field struggles of the past year.

Part of that is an apparent end to owner Mike Charlesworth’s efforts to shift games to North Sydney Oval and Brookvale, with the club about to cement its relationship with Gosford Council and recommit to its home ground at the city’s Brisbane Water.

Mielekamp, who arrived at the club recently after nearly three years at the Wanderers, has already held a series of meetings with the club’s supporter base as the Mariners bid to win back the community engagement that characterised the club’s first few years.

Now the Mariners hope that a commitment to playing at Central Coast Stadium will expedite that process, and counter disillusionment from the forays into northern Sydney last year.

“It’s something we’re very passionate about committing to — just as the palm trees are not leaving Gosford, neither are we,” he said. “Next season we will definitely play 13 home games there, and we’re not far away from announcing a new partnership with the council to underpin that.

“There will be a 14th round that’s technically a home game and we’re working with FFA on that as a community round. That will be a game we take to a region to help grow the sport there, and once we have the draw next month we can confirm where that will be.

“My role in these first few weeks has been to listen to the members, and start planning how to deliver what they want.”

Mielekamp said new head coach Tony Walmsley hoped to lock in two new players by the end of the week, though he admitted that overall the club was working to a limited budget.

“The squad size is something of a moving figure at the moment as we’re in talks with players and hopefully we’ll have news on that very soon,” he said. “We think they will show that there’s some exciting things ahead for us.

“But the financial and commercial reality is that we can’t fall into the trap of spending money before we’ve earned it. The long-term future of the club depends on our ability to engage with the community and to maximise revenue and of course hopefully be successful.

“For instance we’re in the market for a front-of-shirt away sponsor, who we want to be a national partner to highlight the growth there is on the Coast. Equally I’ve been astounded at the level of community interaction, in terms of player appearances and in terms of the testimonial game for John Hutchinson last week.

“I’m not sure any other sporting club in Australia could have created the context for an event like that, which just shows how much the club means to people here.”

Originally published as Mariners end North Sydney experiment

style_cafe

We did have a particularly bad year. Only 3 NSW games, inconsistent scheduling, multiple games against low drawing teams, no NYE game and perennial talk of re-location no doubt played its part. Some fairly dire performances also played their part. The dire performances are up to Tony to turn around and he at least seems to have the guys enjoying their football again. Shaun's job is a lot trickier. Ideally we will play on Saturday night but of course that is not likely to happen. However, we need to lock in the important ones at the right time e.g. NYE.

Given that this unbalanced schedule is likely to continue we need to make the most of this season when we have 6 NSW games, 2 games against MVC and a NYE game. The trick I think is make the lesser drawing teams an event.

We will have 14 home games - 1 of which will be a regional round. 2 against NUJ, 2 against SFC, 2 against WSW, 2 against MVC and 2 against the NIX.

One of the NIX games should be the regional round. The Jets, SFC, WSW and MVC games should be our largest crowds, against NSW teams and the champions. My idea would be to market the low drawing teams under a theme such as 'Holiday with the Mariners' and to play them over the holiday period when we have a chance to draw holiday crowds. These games would be played on

Saturday Dec 26th 2015 7pm
Thursday 31st Dec 2015 6:30 pm followed by NYE fireworks at 9pm following NYE races
Saturday 9th January 2016 7pm
Tuesday 26th January 2016 6:30 pm with 9pm Australia Day Weekend fireworks as a culmination of Australia Day celebrations held in and around Gosford

This would be my home draw

Saturday, 10 October 2015-------1-------h-------CCS-----MVC-----Champions
Saturday, 24 October 2015-------3-------h-------CCS-----NUJ-----Derby
Saturday, 7 November 2015-------FFA Cup Final
Saturday, 14 November 2015------5-------h-------CCS-----ROAR
Saturday, 28 November 2015------7-------h-------CCS----SFC-----NSW
Saturday, 12 December 2015------9-------h-------CCS-----WSW-----NSW
Saturday, 26 December 2015------11------h-------CCS-----NIX-----Boxing Day------HWM
Thursday, 31 December 2015------12------h-------CCS-----MCI-----NYE-------------HWM
Saturday, 9 January 2016--------14------h-------CCS-----GRY-------------------------HWM
Tuesday, 26 January 2016--------16------h-------CCS-----ADL-----Australia Day-----HWM

Saturday, 6 February 2016-------18------h-------CCS-----SFC-----NSW
Saturday, 20 February 2016------20------h-------TAS-----NIX-----Regional
Saturday, 5 March 2016----------22------h-------CCS-----NUJ-----NSW
Saturday, 19 March 2016---------24------h-------CCS-----MVC-----Champions

Great suggestions PJ but please add:-
Play "at home" one week & "away" the next week.

This 2 games home, 3 away stuff that we`ve had in the past is crap....
thankyou

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred