• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Tour De France

What is you interest factor?

• Rivetted, watch every stage live

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Watch all the 6pm highlights on SBS

• Catch it every now and then

• Read about it in the papers

• Couldn't give a rats

• Total voters

Hagar the Horrible

Peachos said:
Ok, unless there is like a second between the yellow jersey and 2nd placed then its pretty much a guard of honour for the 4 jersey wearers (yellow, green, polka-dot and white)
Its unwritten law
It isn't always like that for the green jersey. There have been times when it hasn't been decided until the final sprint in Paris.

rosko

Omni said:
I don't really buy the fact that the course was 'made for Cadel' the start was far too quick for Cadel to make enough time on it.

Spot on Marinersgirl - Davittamon Lotto were a sprinters team, then Cadel comes 2nd they change their name and become a GC team with the same people, change the personnel.

The downhill start, which it basically was, certainly assisted Sastre. Davitamon-Lotto, while changing their name, is the same team. The same companies have supported the team for a number of years, and each year, they change the name to promote a different product. Initially they were Davitamon, then Predictor, now Silence... I'm sure next year a new product will make it's name onto the jersey.
Belgian teams are not known to chase the 'Grand Tours', rather one day classics. The team will hopefully recruit better for next season.
For any of you wishing to join in with the Central Coast Cycling Club for rides, come along on Saturday morning for a training ride. We meet at West Gosford Shops at 7am, head down to Umina, back through West Gosford and out to Terrigal. The pace is around 30km/h, and it's a nice easy ride.

Peachos

seems Cadel didnt have a team and is probably getting a new team next year, hope he comes to team colombia

Arabmariner

Peachos said:
Ok, unless there is like a second between the yellow jersey and 2nd placed then its pretty much a guard of honour for the 4 jersey wearers (yellow, green, polka-dot and white)
Its unwritten law
Still don't get this in a professional sport.........."unwritten law"?? ???

So what if some rider ignored the "unwritten law" and actually caused an upset and won it....would they refuse him the trophy?

As I said before I'm new to watching this and up until the last day I had really got into it.

No one has really explained yet how this last day farce came about.

To all the purists I'm not trying to be a smart arse here I'm just interested/don't get it!

P.S. maybe if we're 1-0 up v the Scum with 2 mins to go we can make it "against etiquette" or "unwritten law" to challenge the leader!! ;)

scottmac

Suspended
the last day is basically an exhibition for all the main riders.
All the riders know that he yellow jersey is decided after the individual TT. Even if one of the guys went against etiquette and tried to win the last stage, by how ever many seconds or minutes he was behind, most of the days riding is just a road circuit which you ride around a number of times. It is nearly impossible for a rider to escape the peleton and make a break. the only way it could happen would be a huge accident and then who ever decided to take advantage of that would be chased out of the sport. (think of kicking Bozza in the nuts before a penalty and then taking the penalty while he is down, thats a similarity)
The reason for this is so the crowd can get a good view of all the riders and cheer on all their favourite riders etc etc.
The green jersey on the other hand as has been previously said could go down to the last few meters.

Wikipedia states that the leader is left alone on the last stage to bask in the glory of his triumph.

Paolo

next time im in a 100m sprint and am leading after 50metres i win and the last 50m is a guard of honour for me...kk thanks

Sean

haha
Cadel actually went for it on the last day last year (against Contadour) didnt he?

clarence

Perm said:
haha
Cadel actually went for it on the last day last year (against Contadour) didnt he?

Yes, he was only 22 seconds or so behind Contador (sp?) and was one of the few times that the Tour had come down to deciding the Overall Winner on the very last day.
He did have a chance of snatching victory if he got a lucky break and Contador wasn't riding very well. But Contador did his job and Cadel lost out.
I understand the tradition of an exhibition ride on the last day. But I suspect that some time soon there's going to be someone, with a very strong team backing him, who is going to make an early break with his team and make up a small time deficit to win it in Paris.
Cadel hasn't had a good team to help him, and he has said as much. No support in the mountain stages meant he was hassled by CSC and other teams, and forced to ride on his own. Not a good strategy if you are the Yellow Jersey wearer half way through the Tour. No energy left by the time he left the mountain stages and was very single paced in that last Time Trial.

scottmac

Suspended
clarence said:
Perm said:
haha

Yes, he was only 22 seconds or so behind Contador (sp?) and was one of the few times that the Tour had come down to deciding the Overall Winner on the very last day.
He did have a chance of snatching victory if he got a lucky break and Contador wasn't riding very well. But Contador did his job and Cadel lost out.
I understand the tradition of an exhibition ride on the last day. But I suspect that some time soon there's going to be someone, with a very strong team backing him, who is going to make an early break with his team and make up a small time deficit to win it in Paris.
Cadel hasn't had a good team to help him, and he has said as much. No support in the mountain stages meant he was hassled by CSC and other teams, and forced to ride on his own. Not a good strategy if you are the Yellow Jersey wearer half way through the Tour. No energy left by the time he left the mountain stages and was very single paced in that last Time Trial.

Cadel gave exactly the same interview last year after the TT as this year. So close but so far. He did not have a go for it and accepted his second place on the penultimate stage. The only way Cadel would have won was for Contador to crash out of the race.

clarence

This interview he gave after last year's race indicates that:
a) He didn't believe there was a tradition NOT to challenge on the last day
b) That although he felt that 23 seconds was big ask, it was there for the taking if an opportunity arose
c) He had a plan to take the lead and go for it at the 1klm to go mark but he couldn't see the other rider involved in the plan - too fast and too many riders.
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/transcripts/s1998054.htm

Realistically, though, that 23 seconds from last year's race was too far behind, given the way he described the bunch sprint and speeds of 70 k's in a road circuit race.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred