• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Tour De France

What is you interest factor?

• Rivetted, watch every stage live

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Watch all the 6pm highlights on SBS

• Catch it every now and then

• Read about it in the papers

• Couldn't give a rats

• Total voters

dibo

So, 21 stages, 3600km, 180 riders, but only one maillot jaune.

Anyone else not getting a lot of sleep over the next three weeks as they ride with Cadel and co around le grand boucle and see if we have the first Australian to drink champagne while riding down the Champs Elyse in the yellow jersey?

My big night is going to be watching Stage 17 - 210km from Embrun in the south up across le Col du Galibier, le Col de la Croix de Fer, and then finishing on l'Alpe d'Huez - a 13km climb with 21 hairpin bends, it has to be seen to be believed. Just brutal, 3 'haute categorie' climbs... that will be the stage that decides the tour.

This is the climb on l'Alpe d'Huez:
400px-Lacets_AlpedHuez.jpg

Allez les Australiens et vive le Tour!

Atomic

Good start for Cadel Evans... 6th with no time lost to the leader. So far, so good :)

dibo

the worry is just how strong valverde looked on the final rise. he's going to cause problems in the mountains, evans is going to have to smash him on the TTs - he beat him by 2.40 on stage 19 last year though.

this site is awesome for tour coverage, and they're australian: http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/

Atomic

Agreed. Valverde exploded away at the finish... very impressive. That was one of Evens's problems last year in the mountain stages... he couldn't cover the attacks towards the end. Admittedly he didn't have the support of any team mates, a situation which, hopefully, will be different this year.

On that point, it will be interesting to see how well McEwan does in the chase for the green jersey with the his team focusing 100% on Evans. I suspect he will do well and I'm tipping a stage win tonight  :eek:verhead:

dibo

he's good enough to basically ride off hushovd or zabel's wheel and basically use *them* as a lead out rider for a sneaky win or two. his power off the wheel is ludicrous, and so he gets away with not too much help. his top speed over the last 200m is probably the best in the field, so as long as he finds a good wheel to come off he'll get a win or two. zabel and hushovd will probably respond by leaving the run later and later, and hoping nobody else poaches their wins.

hushovd is still my bet for the green, they'll have a full team effort aimed at getting it for him.

tuftman

I love it, the intrigue of teamplay, with the odd track invasion by a dog,crowd member/protester or even Cadel getting angry with the cops.......Its gonna be painfull. Im especially looking forward to stage 17, 3 HC climbs(the finish is on the third one)

Bear

Wish there was an option in the poll "would watch a highlights package of the crashes, thats it" ;D

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Bearinator said:
Wish there was an option in the poll "would watch a highlights package of the crashes, thats it" ;D

or theres
the rider giving a slow motorcycle gendarme the middle finger package
the ohh F**K...a labradour...package
the why is that stupid F**K applying the brakes now package
and the ever popular...why is her yellow shirt tighter than mine package

:)

Atomic

The 3rd biggest sporting event in the world and IMO has the best TV coverage of any sport on the planet. Any Tour "virgins" should tune in just to listen to SBS commentators Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen, and I bet after an hour, you'll be addicted.

Mariner Girl

I am suffering from MAJOR sleep deprivation right now. I watch the whole stage each night and then I am so excited by what Cadel is doing it takes me about an hour to get to sleep.

I am a bit worried about the next 3 stages in the Pyrenees. I know it is Cadel's territor, but last year he lost 50 sec + in the same stage as tonight. I am more concerned about him having to "go it alone" as his team is rather weak and can't protect him like the CSC and Columbia teams.

Fingers are well and truely crossed he gets through it.

BTW - How bloody bad was the weather in last night's stage.  :p

Mariner Girl

Atomic said:
The 3rd biggest sporting event in the world and IMO has the best TV coverage of any sport on the planet. Any Tour "virgins" should tune in just to listen to SBS commentators Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen, and I bet after an hour, you'll be addicted.
And don't forget Gabriel and his wonderful cooking + Christian with the wine to accompany the dishes .

dru

Will watch the highlights show when I can but watching stages is out for me with my work roster.

Check results on the sbs site most mornings though.

I like watching out for the crazies, the guys who have climbed up to the top of chuches with their bikes.

Atomic

Mariner Girl said:
Atomic said:
And don't forget Gabriel and his wonderful cooking + Christian with the wine to accompany the dishes .

Ah yes... sorry about that, I did forget them. They add a wonderful insight into the various regions that the Tour visits... and I bet you're like me Mariner Girl in that you feel you can actually taste the food and wine that Gabriel and Christian are talking about ;)

Mariner Girl

Atomic said:
Mariner Girl said:
Atomic said:

Ah yes... sorry about that, I did forget them. They add a wonderful insight into the various regions that the Tour visits... and I bet you're like me Mariner Girl in that you feel you can actually taste the food and wine that Gabriel and Christian are talking about ;)
Yes, makes you wish you were right there. Have you noticed the ever present piano accordian
player serinading as you eat your meal?

scottmac

Suspended
Mariner Girl said:
I am suffering from MAJOR sleep deprivation right now. I watch the whole stage each night and then I am so excited by what Cadel is doing it takes me about an hour to get to sleep.

I am a bit worried about the next 3 stages in the Pyrenees. I know it is Cadel's territor, but last year he lost 50 sec + in the same stage as tonight. I am more concerned about him having to "go it alone" as his team is rather weak and can't protect him like the CSC and Columbia teams.

Fingers are well and truely crossed he gets through it.

BTW - How bloody bad was the weather in last night's stage.  :p

Rather weak is an understatement!! If they do not step up tonight and support him they need to build a new team next year. If he was at the head of team columbia he would be a minute ahead already.

dibo

i think tonight's the night. cadel's competition is really down to just a few men, and he's got a minute on most of them, and he'll back up night after night. i think he's got the sort of strength across three weeks that nobody else will be able to match this year.

doesn't matter if he finishes third wheel every night - he'll be ahead of kirchen before they leave the pyrenees and he'll play defence on the others. no need to take le maillot jaune a day before you need to, it will only make him an even bigger target.

get all your live coverage news here - Cyclingnews

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred