• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The FINALS thread

grendel

Bear said:
did anyone see the refs assistant in the AA2 (i think it was) gf before eggys game on the main field?

he was a kid. and when i say kid, he could not have been older than 14.

i dont care how qualified he is, the guy was 3 foot tall, and waaaaaaaaaayyyyy to young to be running the line in a gf imo

The guy's in year 10, fully capable of doing the job better than some of the older refs and he knows a lot more about the laws of the game than some of the armchair critics on this forum ever will!

T

Alicia said:
Congrats to Tuggerah WAA5 for winning the grand final.  As for Gosford not wanting it, that's just bullshit.  Best team on the day won, and congrats to you.

Also massive thanks to everyone who come to watch the gosford girls play.  I know they really appreciated the support :)

+1
And as for the girls not wanting it to win, ask them how many sleepless nights they had because of this game and their desire to win.

I'm looking forward to the continued rivalry next season ;)

T

kanewillow said:
wats age got to do with anything if ya good enough your old enough
Prob is many of them aren't good enough, and because they are so young are easily intimated.

Bear

young refs/assistants can be intimidated by older players.

sorry, argue away, but i think its wrong

having a young (guy was prob 17-19 years old) ref this year, and watching our players get butchered, myself included, and watching the ref do nothing about it, i put it down to him being intimidated

that or he was just shit

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Older refs and assistants can also be intimidated by older players.

The attitude and confidence of the official in question - and his capacity to deal with aggression and dissent - should be considered in his appointment just as much as his skill is.  Generally it is.

I'm sure we've all got stories of refs of all ages doing rubbish jobs and even struggling when things get heated.  If he's good enough and confident enough, then I don't think the age should matter.  Some of the coast's best referees are quite young.

Certainly, age can be something used by players to attack referees - I look a little more on the young side than the older side, and this has worked against me particularly with O35 games - but if it isn't age then it's something else

razza

obviously lost on penalties to Kareem. Our worst performance of the season by far. wasn't helped by the huge wind storms and the attrocious oval.

Chimmi

Alicia said:
Congrats to Tuggerah WAA5 for winning the grand final.  As for Gosford not wanting it, that's just bullshit.  Best team on the day won, and congrats to you.

Also massive thanks to everyone who come to watch the gosford girls play.  I know they really appreciated the support :)

:goodpost: :goodpost: Well said!!

All the girls on both teams had a great game (specially the keepers - some of those saves were spectacular!!!) We pushed hard and are very pleased with how we played - the only sad part is now the season is over!!

J

jiggles

Jasmin said:
Alicia said:

All the girls on both teams had a great game (specially the keepers - some of those saves were spectacular!!!) We pushed hard and are very pleased with how we played - the only sad part is now the season is over!!

+1 - Danielle made some brilliant saves!

Alicia

poko said:
Jasmin said:
Alicia said:

+1 - Danielle made some brilliant saves!

Reckon!!  She was awesome!  I was like wow, that's my bubby sister!!! :D

Wombat

grendel said:
Wombat said:
Hey Capt....reffing question for you.
When a keeper deliberately handles the ball outside of the box...isn;t it a straight red??
Rams keeper did this but chump of a ref gave him a yellow not a red.

I;ve played in games when keepers have been sent for this why didn;t it happen in our final?

Only a red if, by handling the ball outside the box, he has prevented a goal from a ball heading straight into goal, or he has denied an attacking player a goal - and only then if the attacking player was within a reasonable playing distance of the ball, was heading in the direction of goal and had insufficient other defenders around to stop him (ie.  'last man').  Unless all of these apply, yellow card or no card.

Hey, just maybe, you're the chump....have you thought of that??

LOL. Thank you Grendel I'll reflect on that. According to Capt Gus...maybe I am.....maybe the Ref was spot on.  I do remember our keeper being sent off at North Sydney for exactly the same thing.

Thanks for you answer Capt...very informative as usual.

Coastie

Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
Almost certainly, the ones we send to champions of champions are the top of our bunch too and probably quite comparable to the champions of champions referees you saw - however, even in those associations their finals may have shown a much greater spread of refereeing ability.  Also some areas - particularly sydney-based competition - produce better referees because there are more high-standard competitions (such as the various state leagues) based in these areas.  That's simply the reality we face on the coast.

Thats not true. CCRFI send an elite panel of referees to officiate in the PYL competition (premier youth league) the states HIGHEST level competition for youth. there are about 10 referees aged from 15-19 from the coast on the Elite Development Panel who officiate regulary in this competition as well as the finals of the Super youth league and Champions of Champions finals. State titles offers young central coast referees to further develop their poetential if they are selected. The only way refereeing on the coast is heading is up.

grendel

Maybe these posts should be on the Good, Bad and Ugly thread?  My view is that the standard of refereeing is getting better.  But you would hardly think that if you get a referee appointed to your game who makes a basic error such as that mentioned above (and, let's face it, the buck stops with the referee, not the assistant referees and not the team coaches, and not with the educators who hold Finals briefings every year specifically for discussing the procedures for penalty kicks!)

The Central Coast is lucky that it has more referees than it's ever had before, who take their roles very seriously and I know that more of them are getting experience on PYL, State League, State Titles and even W-League and National Youth League.  This all brings an extra dimension of experience to the Coast.  It doesn't mean that players and coaches will always be happy with them, and losing teams will often blame the ref.  Refs will also make mistakes but often it can be a mistake in the mind of the observer (as also suggested above with the goalkeeper red/yellow card question).  Since refs are not encouraged to discuss their decisions publicly, for all sorts of reasons, the 'mistake' is never clarified.  The observer goes away thinking they are right and the referee is wrong...

Just felt I had to stand up for the boys in black!

Kareem

i still think a small portion of blame should go to kariong coach...
But yes primarily a ref's mistake...but its important finals knowledge that every coach should be aware of...

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Coastie said:
Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
Almost certainly, the ones we send to champions of champions are the top of our bunch too and probably quite comparable to the champions of champions referees you saw - however, even in those associations their finals may have shown a much greater spread of refereeing ability.  Also some areas - particularly sydney-based competition - produce better referees because there are more high-standard competitions (such as the various state leagues) based in these areas.  That's simply the reality we face on the coast.

Thats not true. CCRFI send an elite panel of referees to officiate in the PYL competition (premier youth league) the states HIGHEST level competition for youth. there are about 10 referees aged from 15-19 from the coast on the Elite Development Panel who officiate regulary in this competition as well as the finals of the Super youth league and Champions of Champions finals. State titles offers young central coast referees to further develop their poetential if they are selected. The only way refereeing on the coast is heading is up.

Yes, this came in about 2 years ago I think, fantastic initiative and it's going a long way towards closing the gap between regional associations and metro associations.  However, that's only 1 aspect.

Ever heard of 'Australian Football Referees Federation'?  Another 'national' refereeing body, but they basically operate out of all capital cities.  They get all the good games - high level state league games (junior and senior), as well as quite a lot more competitions.  Now that I live in a capital city I have the fortune of officiating with federation, and some of the low-middle grades here would be about Central Coast first grade level.

Makes it very difficult to develop your skills when your competitions are limited (and yes, I am aware that sometimes we struggle to find officials who can even handle the local first grade competitions).  It's always been the case that if you want to get GOOD at refereeing, you need to officiate with federation.  Also, due to the much closer proximity of many venues, you'll find there seems to be a lot more access to various representative levels.  All of which make it a lot easier to develop referees.

But yes, education and opportunities have come a long way and the gap is certainly (finally) being closed.  It's only been relatively recently that he coast has had any refereeing access to these higher level representative competitions, unless we wanted to travel for an hour or two each weekend (obviously not so much an option for junior referees)

J

jiggles

Email from our team manager:

A lot of you were there to witness the commotion after this grand final.

last night at a CCF board hearing, the game has been declared null and void and both Gosford and Kariong have been declared joint premiers.

Thoughts?

marinermick

poko said:
Email from our team manager:

A lot of you were there to witness the commotion after this grand final.

last night at a CCF board hearing, the game has been declared null and void and both Gosford and Kariong have been declared joint premiers.

Thoughts?

The best possible outcome.

Bear

hmm

i believe the shootout, not the game, should be replayed. Joint champions is wrong imo

marinermick

Bear said:
hmm

i believe the shootout, not the game, should be replayed. Joint champions is wrong imo

Penalties shootouts are a farce anyway and you never go back and recreate the exact environment of that first penalty shootout (conditions, tension, atmosphere, fatigue at the end of the game etc) so any result coming from the replayed shootout would be artifical anyway.

They are Under 14 girls. The game was so close that no one deserved to win or lose, and they both had a great season, so there is no harm is awarding them joint premiers.

There would be more emotional harm done to the girls of the losing side in the shootout. Just making them go through the situation is bad enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred