• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The age of mediocrity is now

Corsair

Id like to see MJ start to make his own impact on the squad re: tactics

I feel like MJ has so far inherited Montys squad and was told "dont fix what isnt broken" and set about playing Montys way, with Montys tactics, for fear of derailing a successful team.

Hasnt worked out so far, so maybe time to dig into your experience and change up what needs to be changed, whether it be formation or overall play style, just try something different coz 4 losses on the bounce obviously isnt working
This is an interesting article: https://www.frontpagefootball.net/p...-new-central-coast-mariners-boss-mark-jackson

"I want to play front foot football and dominate every part of the game. That is my philosophy, that is how I want my teams to play, and that is what I will bring to the Central Coast," he said in the club statement."

"An early criticism of Jackson when he was first appointed at MK Dons was his commitment to possession-based football. Despite having the lion's share of possession in 13 of his 25 games in charge in the EFL League One, Jackson's side only secured victory in one of them.

But it is worth noting that Jackson was not stubborn, swiftly adapting towards a more balanced style of play towards the back end of his tenure. Ultimately, this approach was deemed better suited to MK Dons' situation, as they were embroiled in a relegation battle. The change did yield short-term improvements in results, but unfortunately, the performances eventually dipped in consistency, ultimately leading to his dismissal.

Jackson’s venture with MK Dons was ultimately labelled a failure, as they went winless in their last eight games of the season."

"While the initial struggles are evident, it's important to reserve early judgment. Following in the footsteps of Montgomery is an exceptionally challenging endeavour that many would be unable to follow."

Those are snippets relevant to this thread's theme and your post, however the article as a whole is interesting and worth a read. As Wombat pointed out previously, prior to his first Senior appointment at the Dons he did have great success with youth teams. Maybe a stint looking after the academy might have suited him better to prepare for the first team role, the way Monty came up.

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

This is an interesting article: https://www.frontpagefootball.net/p...-new-central-coast-mariners-boss-mark-jackson

"I want to play front foot football and dominate every part of the game. That is my philosophy, that is how I want my teams to play, and that is what I will bring to the Central Coast," he said in the club statement."

"An early criticism of Jackson when he was first appointed at MK Dons was his commitment to possession-based football. Despite having the lion's share of possession in 13 of his 25 games in charge in the EFL League One, Jackson's side only secured victory in one of them.

But it is worth noting that Jackson was not stubborn, swiftly adapting towards a more balanced style of play towards the back end of his tenure. Ultimately, this approach was deemed better suited to MK Dons' situation, as they were embroiled in a relegation battle. The change did yield short-term improvements in results, but unfortunately, the performances eventually dipped in consistency, ultimately leading to his dismissal.

Jackson’s venture with MK Dons was ultimately labelled a failure, as they went winless in their last eight games of the season."

"While the initial struggles are evident, it's important to reserve early judgment. Following in the footsteps of Montgomery is an exceptionally challenging endeavour that many would be unable to follow."

Those are snippets relevant to this thread's theme and your post, however the article as a whole is interesting and worth a read. As Wombat pointed out previously, prior to his first Senior appointment at the Dons he did have great success with youth teams. Maybe a stint looking after the academy might have suited him better to prepare for the first team role, the way Monty came up.
So the hirers missed all that? Seems evident that very little homework was done.
What happens when you only interview 1 candidate I guess

Last edited:

shipwreck

I can't emphasize enough how unique the Australian footballing landscape is.

Historically the best managers have either played in it, or been involved in Australian football for decades.

I highlighted it as soon as he was appointed, lack of local knowledge is going to kill us.

Insertnamehere

Historically the best managers have either played in it, or been involved in Australian football for decades.

I highlighted it as soon as he was appointed, lack of local knowledge is going to kill us.
Or had infinite money

FFC Mariner

Heat, distance, often terrible pitches, lack of resources etc etc all these things make football in this country far more difficult than elsewhere.
UK footballers tend to be stronger, fitter and faster especially in lower leagues so high energy and high press football can work (although I note that MJ wasnt able to make it work)
High press away at Macarthur on a 3pm Sunday kickoff simply isnt going to work.

Insertnamehere

Heat, distance, often terrible pitches, lack of resources etc etc all these things make football in this country far more difficult than elsewhere.
UK footballers tend to be stronger, fitter and faster especially in lower leagues so high energy and high press football can work (although I note that MJ wasnt able to make it work)
We also didn't play a continuous press last year. We often would just play solid banks of 442 when in our half. The wingers would defend the opposing wingers and the strikers would drop into line to cover them being moved out of position.
We just aren't defensing well, with intensity or concentration.
We're playing reject shop version of montyball.

Meerkat

We also didn't play a continuous press last year. We often would just play solid banks of 442 when in our half. The wingers would defend the opposing wingers and the strikers would drop into line to cover them being moved out of position.
Monty Ball from Wish or Temu?

marinermick

I was watching the girls on Saturday with their two banks of four being very compressed and said to the people around me “Look at that defensive shape. Why can’t the men play like this?”

gemkayem

I was watching the girls on Saturday with their two banks of four being very compressed and said to the people around me “Look at that defensive shape. Why can’t the men play like this?”
Don’t want to compare apples and oranges but I’ve really liked the way Emily Husband has set up, and she seems willing to adapt in terms of subs etc on the go if she needs to.

Forum Phoenix

Agree heat has to be taken into account with the press. But hey, Ange's team was the most dominant force in the A league we've seen with a very similar style to how we're trying to play.

Yet again it seems of late, unlike most others I really don't think our press is a big issue. Everything is pros and cons and if we can just cut out a few unforced errors and improve our positioning in relation to counter attacking threats/transitions, then I think it could be very effective and it has actually been working in many instances already.

Personally I'm much more concerned by Berenguer getting six touches in our box. I think Paull isn't without any promise, but right now is clearly a weaker central defender than Triantis was. And then unfortunately not only did we lose great attackers, but the attackers we lost were also better defenders than our new ones. Beni (who was awesome for a forward) and Sammy definitely defended better than Wilson and Theo (who is at least trying) Torres puts in, but is rash and Cummings (who used to clear a good amount of ball in our own box) was better than Kuol, who while great at pressing quickly, I can't ever remember making a tackle otherwise.

Defensively and if we want to play with a press, I think there's a very strong case for Steele to be brought in alongside Niz and Max in a 433. Fit, works hard, mentally strong. He'd certainly add a lot more value in defence than Wilson and Doka. and we could let Niz or Max have some license in attack with less risk.

Kuol, Tulio and Torres up top rotating gives us creativity and pace. Also Steele doesn't stand off and let players do whatever they want — especially in the box. Right now, Kaltak is at his weakest inside our box with quick reactions when it's on the deck. Paull we've spoken on, and is probably worse than Kaltak, then add in the lesser defensive abilities across several other replacement players...

It's a strong argument for a possession based football and press. Players like Theo are certainly always going to be much better at keeping the ball than winning it.

Last edited:

Hello Sailor

Yet again it seems of late, unlike most others I really don't think our press is a big issue.
A high press is fine if you have a solid defence [we dont-we are leaking far too many goals] , midfielders/wingers who rapidly transition from attack to defence [questionable], attackers who readily drop back to defend [ last year Yes, this year, not so much], and the endurance to maintain this tactic [a lot of fit players are getting gassed, and seemingly less fit ones like Theoharous appear unenthusiastic about dropping back]..
We are getting hammered on the counter and after so many losses I think MJ needs to rejig things.

Hello Sailor

Defensively and if we want to play with a press, I think there's a very strong case for Steele to be brought in alongside Niz and Max in a 433. Fit, works hard, mentally strong. He'd certainly add a lot more value in defence than Wilson and Doka. and we could let Niz or Max have some license in attack with less risk.
Kuol, Tulio and Torres up top rotating gives us creativity and pace. Also Steele doesn't stand off let players do whatever they want. Especially in the box
i like the sound of this if the coach insists on pressing.

Big Al

Agree heat has to be taken into account with the press. But hey, Ange's team was the most dominant force in the A league we've seen with a very similar style to how we're trying to play.

Yet again it seems of late, unlike most others I really don't think our press is a big issue. Everything is pros and cons and if we can just cut out a few unforced errors and improve our positioning in relation to counter attacking threats/transitions, then I think it could be very effective and it has actually been working in many instances already.

Personally I'm much more concerned by Berenguer getting six touches in our box. I think Paull isn't without any promise, but right now is clearly a weaker central defender than Triantis was. And then unfortunately not only did we lose great attackers, but the attackers we lost were also better defenders than our new ones. Beni (who was awesome for a forward) and Sammy definitely defended better than Wilson and Theo (who is at least trying) Torres puts in, but is rash and Cummings (who used to clear a good amount of ball in our own box) was better than Kuol, who while great at pressing quickly, I can't ever remember making a tackle otherwise.

Kuol, Tulio and Torres up top rotating gives us creativity and pace. Also Steele doesn't stand off let players do whatever they want. Especially in the box. Right now, Kaltak is at his weakest inside our box with quick reactions when it's on the deck. Paull we've spoken on, and is probably worse than Kaltak, then add in the lesser defensive abilities across several other replacement players...

It's a strong argument for a possession based football and press. Players like Theo are certainly always going to be much better at keeping the ball than winning it.
If you drop Theo or Torres to the bench to accommodate either Steele or Tapp. Id go Tapp. Then you have a little bit more fire power in the subs as well.

I also wonder if Kaltak is making errors because instead of excelling at his job he is worrying about Paull and trying to cover him and this extra weight in the mind is effecting his own play.

I think we need to give the Hall Kaltak pairing another couple of games to see if it’s better.

Wombat

I can only think of 3 foreign coaches to win the A League.

Littbarski
Ernie Merrick
Monty

There may be others i couldn't think of but yes it does indicate that the a League is tough.

Wombat

If you drop Theo or Torres to the bench to accommodate either Steele or Tapp. Id go Tapp. Then you have a little bit more fire power in the subs as well.

I also wonder if Kaltak is making errors because instead of excelling at his job he is worrying about Paull and trying to cover him and this extra weight in the mind is effecting his own play.

I think we need to give the Hall Kaltak pairing another couple of games to see if it’s better.

Why would you drop Theo or Torres to the bench to accomodate either of two at this stage average CM's who are defensively minded.

Makes zero logic to me.

Stuartmcateer

I can only think of 3 foreign coaches to win the A League.

Littbarski
Ernie Merrick
Monty

There may be others i couldn't think of but yes it does indicate that the a League is tough.
Amor won the double with Adelaide in 15/16.

Mulvey won with Brisbane.

Lawrie???

Wombat

Kuol, Tulio and Torres up top rotating gives us creativity and pace. Also Steele doesn't stand off let players do whatever they want. Especially in the box. Right now, Kaltak is at his weakest inside our box with quick reactions when it's on the deck. Paull we've spoken on, and is probably worse than Kaltak, then add in the lesser defensive abilities across several other replacement players...

Normally very good analysis FP but this time you get a WTF.
Agree that Paull IS a problem atm and Monty would have binned him after 2 poor games not 5 or 6. MJ needs to fix this issue NOW.
Cummings was actually very poor around the box but did make a token effort. Kuol if he was to come that deep is a better natural defender.
The only way Steele comes into my side is as a FB and only to see out a game.
3 Gun shy centre mids is only good for 0.0 draws against a team who are technically better than you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred