• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

#ThanksHutch

Gratis

he's always great with the kids. watch every game when they walk out with the kids, even away games here crouching down having a good chat and being super friendly

VicMariner

Judging by the post ratings naming the Mariners Medal after Hutch seems to be a reasonably popular idea.
Should we though?

The club is only 10 years old, that's nothing. Who's to say there won't be a even more deserving player in the next 10 years, or 20.
Hutch could spend the next 30 years working in the club in various capacities. In this he may or may not be as successful or popular.
Imagine if as coach he presides over a run of form worse than what we have now.
An argument could be made that the MM should only be named after a person who has retired from all football activity.
There is no need to rush into it.
Would be interesting to come up with some criteria for the renaming though.

nebakke

Judging by the post ratings naming the Mariners Medal after Hutch seems to be a reasonably popular idea.
Should we though?

The club is only 10 years old, that's nothing. Who's to say there won't be a even more deserving player in the next 10 years, or 20.
Hutch could spend the next 30 years working in the club in various capacities. In this he may or may not be as successful or popular.
Imagine if as coach he presides over a run of form worse than what we have now.
An argument could be made that the MM should only be named after a person who has retired from all football activity.
There is no need to rush into it.
Would be interesting to come up with some criteria for the renaming though.

While I see your point, and I would agree, under normal circumstances you'd probably want to stick with a player who is no longer active... Especially as technically there's a risk, if he becomes a coach, that he could end up coaching a rival A-league team.

On the other hand, he is the last player that we have, from the inaugural squad. No matter what anyone else does in the future, it cannot change that Hutch has been an integral part of the formation of our team and of building that culture. I think the only other person that could argue that sort of influence, would be Lawrie and he's never played for us, so would be an odd choice for the medal, I think.
To some extend, Hutch has been one of the cornerstones on which the club was built and he's never shied away from that responsibility. Most definitely not the best player we've ever had, he could have been forgiven, several times, for going elsewhere or just not really engaging in the club. But more than anyones, except perhaps Matty Simon, he bleeds blue and yellow and represents many of the qualities that we look for in a player... If you note, while he has had plenty of detractors, the one thing that is always brought up is his commitment to the club.
As such, I think it makes sense to sort of elevate him as something for the other players to strive to and so, it makes sense to rename the medal in his honor I think.

Please forgive the drama of the writing though, but it seemed the best way to describe why I think it's a good idea ;)

VicMariner

While I see your point, and I would agree, under normal circumstances you'd probably want to stick with a player who is no longer active... Especially as technically there's a risk, if he becomes a coach, that he could end up coaching a rival A-league team.

On the other hand, he is the last player that we have, from the inaugural squad. No matter what anyone else does in the future, it cannot change that Hutch has been an integral part of the formation of our team and of building that culture. I think the only other person that could argue that sort of influence, would be Lawrie and he's never played for us, so would be an odd choice for the medal, I think.
To some extend, Hutch has been one of the cornerstones on which the club was built and he's never shied away from that responsibility. Most definitely not the best player we've ever had, he could have been forgiven, several times, for going elsewhere or just not really engaging in the club. But more than anyones, except perhaps Matty Simon, he bleeds blue and yellow and represents many of the qualities that we look for in a player... If you note, while he has had plenty of detractors, the one thing that is always brought up is his commitment to the club.
As such, I think it makes sense to sort of elevate him as something for the other players to strive to and so, it makes sense to rename the medal in his honor I think.

Please forgive the drama of the writing though, but it seemed the best way to describe why I think it's a good idea ;)
You raise many good points.
I'm not against renaming the medal after Hutch. I just think it's worth some discussion as we only get to do it once.

VicMariner

Why is it a dumb idea?
It's pretty rare for shirt numbers to be retired in football and I can only remember it happening once or twice for players who died young. Seems a bit OTT.

He is only 35. He potentially has decades of football activity ahead of him. As the article Atomic liked to shows, not all of it might be popular with Mariners fans.

Atomic

It's pretty rare for shirt numbers to be retired in football and I can only remember it happening once or twice for players who died young. Seems a bit OTT.

He is only 35. He potentially has decades of football activity ahead of him. As the article Atomic liked to shows, not all of it might be popular with Mariners fans.
What he said ^^^

Imagine Hutch joining Arnie at SFC. I wouldn't begrudge him one bit… a man still has to provide for his family, but I certainly wouldn't be in favour of retiring the #7. A lot of water has to pass under the bridge. I'd much rather see the Hall of Fame idea get off the ground… plus the team of the century (although I doubt I'd be around to see that :)).

Last edited:

Gratis

I'm with sydmariner on this.

truth is I don't believe Hutch would go to the aerial sh#ts, certainly not for a long time to come

Big Al

I hope that his #7 jersey gets retired in his honour:)
Not really a football thing.

I prefer the swans method of keeping the number active and you end up having more than 1 legend wearing the same number and it inspires the young guy who gets that number.

nebakke

Not really a football thing.

I prefer the swans method of keeping the number active and you end up having more than 1 legend wearing the same number and it inspires the young guy who gets that number.

And it's kind of cool to be able to compile a list of them in the future... You know, "great Mariners numbers 7" starting with John Hutchinson

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred