• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Tell me we aren't a concern for the other codes now!

FFC Mariner

Can I introduce the 1st victim of Footballs success.................

Rugby in a bad way: O'Neill

January 30, 2008

AUSTRALIAN Rugby Union chief executive John O'Neill has warned rugby runs the risk of falling into a irreversible decline unless significant and radical changes are made to the game in Australia.

O'Neill has returned to good health and work this month after undergoing neck surgery in November.

But he has painted a picture of a relatively unhealthy code in his first media briefing since resuming work on January 14.

O'Neill says the ARU is set to report a loss of $7-8 million in April, despite a grant of $7 million from the International Rugby Board.

He also says the ARU's reserves have diminished from $35 million following the 2003 World Cup to around $15 million

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23131083-23217,00.html

:piralaugh: :piralaugh: :piralaugh:

Atomic

Rugby is a victim of its own inept management. It would be in similar dire straights regardless of the rise of football. However, rugby's decline has provided football with a nice juicy carcass from which to feed.

kepo

The reason why its declining casue ppl have actually found out how shit of a game it is.
and opened there eyes to the game of football... :)

midfielder

Lets not get to cocky as we are still in only our third season.

Union has some very powerful backers, AFL & League have a very strong support base.

Yes we are gaining ground, no we won't play in winter as it is believed we cannot get crowds up against the NRL & AFL. Remember AFL get about 176 million each year just for TV rights our contract is 130 million over 7 years.

The CCLC is still called the Central Coast LEAGUES Club, (don't anoy me with that bull about club of leagues) When its called the CCFC (a club of football clubs) is when I see the war is being won.

We just have to keep growing each year and all do our little bit and we will get there.

The worst thing we could do is take our eye off the ball stop trying that bit harder the supporters in other codes.

Rubbernose

midfielder said:
...Union has some very powerful backers...

They do seem to.

I was discussing this the other day with a cuppla blokes, one of whom noted that despite Rugby Union being pretty much up shit creek and it's new club comp being a one season disaster it still has little problem attracting large truck loads of corporate sponsorship dollars. Mostly from, as one bloke put it, loyalty to the sport from private school educated CEO's who significantly keep the game afloat, and who may not ever go away.

The other commented that in his opinion the only thing holding up Union and League are the media's money and goodwill, and that if the media took rational decisions and invested in proportion to where the greatest returns are, he thinks you'd see the rugby codes, golf and possibly even tennis fall back, with cricket, AFL and football taking a bigger chunk.

I personally have little doubt that the last 3 will eventually, innevitably, be the 3 biggest sports in this county, perhaps even sooner rather than later. In some respects they already are, quite clearly. And in some ways AFL is a non-entity in QLD and NSW, as Rugby League is outside of QLD and NSW. The mirky and intricate nature of media vested interests and lingering perceptions somewhat skewing commercial issues will not last forever, either.

The amount of money AFL gets from TV is f**king ludicrous, btw.

SNOWMARINER

I've hoped my whole life to see crowds like we've had lately in Australian football. Slowly but surely the A-League will grow with careful planning and knowing that while I see people from all age groups coming to games, and I am suprised to see so many older folks attend, there is a whole generation of young football fans growing up with a real deal football competition assuring that in 10 years the crowds will be huge. Singo will have to build a bigger stadium to fit us all in.

I agree with the Flying Circus fan that a highlights package for FTA television would be a great idea and I do wonder why FOX don't do it now for their own benifit let alone what it could do for football generally giving people a taste of what their missing. Although the FFA needed the 130 million to get the competition off the ground I feel the game would expand far quicker with atleast some FTA exposure.

FFC Mariner

Notwithstanding the noble efforts of the guys who do the Mariners games on Radio, I would have thought it was a great opportunity for ABC Radio to cover HAL games.

To be fair, ABC Scum (1233) give great coverage to the Jest and it must help (apart from the fact that Dando is a complete knob)

Who owns the radio rights?

Jeff (LouMacari)

It will be very interesting to see the nrl stats from this coming year and compare them to our v3 stats. I heard from somewhere (here? media?) that our crowds were on a par with nrl and we're only 3 years old! Very exciting.

adz

Staff member
northernspirit said:
i think we're about 1500 behind on avg attendances although there is 16 nrl teams and only 8 HAL teams

there are also 16 AFL teams averaging 30k+

marinermick

Greenpoleffc said:
Notwithstanding the noble efforts of the guys who do the Mariners games on Radio, I would have thought it was a great opportunity for ABC Radio to cover HAL games.

To be fair, ABC Scum (1233) give great coverage to the Jest and it must help (apart from the fact that Dando is a complete knob)

Who owns the radio rights?

ABC Newcastle does not pay a cent for the coverage or any associated costs

every season aaron carney gets government funding to do it - he does all the applications and lobbying and doesn't draw a cent in wage

with ABC you also have the problem with international cricket taking precedence over summer and affecting coverage as what happens at the jets

marconigirl

Saw this and thought... Grrrr...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23161748-5014539,00.html

Grow up, soccer football needs a reality check

Comment by Trevor Grant
    February 05, 2008

AUSTRALIAN soccer still has its head in the clouds. It's understandable. The sport had been as dead as Ned Kelly for 32 years when it sat bolt upright in its coffin one tumultuous November evening in Sydney in 2005.

Suddenly we couldn't get enough of it. People who had dismissed 'football' as boring were now getting their rocks off on endless replays of John Aloisi's winning penalty against Uruguay that night.

Seven months later, they were stomping around in the middle of the night, becoming seriously unbalanced after our boys were robbed against Italy when within reach of the 2006 World Cup quarter-finals.

The reaction to our World Cup journey was unprecedented. Heaving masses of humanity filled city squares across the nation, getting high on patriotism and seemingly declaring a new order in sport.

It has also been a heady ride for the true believers longing for recognition of the world game in a distant outpost where local football is as much about men hunting each other as a leather ball.

On the back of the 2006 World Cup, we have seen the flowering of a new domestic competition. It, too, has filled stadiums and won hearts.

People now call the game football, without apology.

Soccer has grown up and those codes we have always called football are frightened it might be payback time.

Yet, from where I sit, soccer is more like a teenager who thinks he's an adult. Indeed, I sense the game is still a long way from threatening the dominant status here of AFL or NRL, if ever.

For all the obvious gains, so many problems remain, and one of the most obvious is that the game has got ahead of itself in Australia.

Self-belief is a wonderful thing, until it becomes self-delusion.

Recently, new Socceroos manager Pim Verbeek gave an unflattering assessment of the standard of the A-League. He said training with a couple of the lowly German Bundesliga clubs would be better preparation for his players than playing A-League games.

The reaction was revealing. Sydney FC coach John Kosmina was typical. He said Verbeek was letting down the marketing campaign in Australia. In other words, the Dutchman needed to keep his mouth shut and go along with the con.

I've got news for Kosmina. There are plenty of sports fans out there who can't be conned.

They are canny observers who are aware that the A-League is an over-hyped, under-developed competition that bears no comparison with other top leagues around the world.

Socceroo David Carney, who switched from Sydney FC to Sheffield United in the English Championship last year, is in a good position to judge. Last week he said there was a massive gap in standard.

Soccer here has lived on hype more than substance for the past 18 months. Its cause will be much better served by a greater recognition of where it's at and the challenges that lay ahead.

Will our best teenage talent continue to disappear overseas or can the A-League become a relevant breeding ground, and thus more exciting, rather than a superannuation tour for ageing stars?

Can we ever find a way around the tyranny of distance which, as ever this week, continues to affect preparation for critical international matches? And what about the challenge of the heat of Asia, both competitively and meteorologically?

Having built its new house on the shifting sands of one brilliant World Cup campaign, Australian soccer now faces the unpalatable proposition that the foundation could crack if it fails to reach the 2010 Cup.

As the Socceroos head into the first qualifying game against Qatar, let us revisit a warning from Verbeek. "We have to get back to reality here in Australia," he said. For soccer's sake, we hope everyone who loves the game is listening.

Jesus

Jesus
Yeah, strange article, especially since it is on the fox site.

I find it completely amazing that people in this country are constantly comparing the a-league to the top european league in terms of quality.

Does anyone really think the ffa think that the a-league is the la liga for quality?

The thing we do have is good crowds, which bring in more money. Which will slowly move us up that ladder.

But the great thing about football is you dont have to have 2 top quality teams to have a great game. Some of the best football i have seen has been between ametuer teams on a saturday arvo at local fields.

The emotions of a high quality game are not abandoned as the quality of the players dminishes. Hell i prefer to watch the under 6's often to the premier league.

The game is going strong. The a-league is not a large drain of FFA resources. It is an asset, not a liability. That tells me we are going the right way.

I absolutely believe that this country loves its sport enough for the a-league to have the potential to be amoung the greatest leagues in the world, attracting top players.

New grassroots and youth setups coming in is the first step.

But one step at a time please

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred