• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Tell me we aren't a concern for the other codes now!

CCM-JAM80

Tell me we aren't a concern for the other codes now!

A very good comment was made during last night's coverage of the game.

Last night's contest attracted what, 25000 odd? The same contest in version one had 10000.

The A-League is version three has a come a long way people, a long way.

The best news, the code is only going to continue grow :D

kepo

thomas477 said:
NRL should be pissing in their pants
yep, all codes should be shiting them selves
and super 14 pfttt.. gone

The a-league is growing every week.
I can't wait to see the a-league in 5-10 years time.
It is quite amazing how in a short period of time,
people are starting to respect the game and view it as part of Australian landscape of sport.
We are averaging on crowds more than super 14 and most of the nrl clubs.

rosko

I agree with the Sydney fan and the Newcastle fan... How funny is that... Keep growing A-League.. I would love to see all the boofheads that think the NRL and Union is so good eat their words.... Now back to the war..  :piralaugh:  Good to see the 3 NSW sides in the semis again...

thomas477

rosko said:
I agree with the Sydney fan and the Newcastle fan... How funny is that... Keep growing A-League.. I would love to see all the boofheads that think the NRL and Union is so good eat their words.... Now back to the war..  :piralaugh:  Good to see the 3 NSW sides in the semis again...

Yeah - with the two most consistant teams in as well (SYD & NEW with 3 final series appearances)

kepo

thomas477 said:
rosko said:

Yeah - with the two most consistant teams in as well (SYD & NEW with 3 final series appearances)
NSW is the priemer state

kepo

Foriegnmariner said:
Wow we have a Scummers fan agreeing with a Sydney fan on a Mariners forum. now i've seen everything.
so mariners don't have a nickname for us.
I thought were sack me fc.... ;)  :tv:

P

Pete

If you assume that supporters will only support one football code then your comments are correct.

Unfortunately for Football, there are supporters who will gladly go see some Swans matches at their home, and maybe some St.George matches for the NRL, when the A-League is in off season.

What could be the more worrying stats for the other codes is the increasing registration in Football correlating to a decrease in their registrations of amateur and junior players. And the fact that many kids have taken to some of the local Football players, which may well be hard to shake even when they get older. If the other codes find they are losing the next generation of players and supporters it's downhill for them.

If the HAL continues to offer up the better career path for young footballers, then they will stick to Football and not bother about switching to the other codes.

adz

Staff member
james_sfc said:

you guys have lots of nicknames

dwight yorke fc (season 1)
budget fc
sydney flying circus
football federation sydney
sydney f**king c**ts

etc

kepo

adz said:
james_sfc said:

budget fc
sydney flying circus
sydney f**king c**ts

etc
lol

Sean

adz said:
james_sfc said:

budget fc
sydney flying circus
sydney f**king c**ts

etc

Smugney Fc

CCM-JAM80

Pete said:
If you assume that supporters will only support one football code then your comments are correct.

No, I don't assume that nor am I talking about the supporters. I follow teams in all codes as do most of my mates and immediate family.

I am alluding to the administrators of the rival codes who once-upon-a-time weren't too concerned with our code and sat comfortably in the office thinking once the hype of the World Cup died down, so to would the A-League and it's early success.

The Newcastle Jets vs Central Coast Mariners game was proof in the pudding that we have come a long way as a code in this country especially considering Newcastle and the Central Coast are true rugby league heartlands.

Who would of thought in version one that Newcastle would be packed to the rafters at home if it weren't the Knights running out to play?

I think you will find that in time, minus Joey, the Jets will really push the Knights in terms of membership and crowd numbers ... the next five to ten years will be most interesting.

FFC Mariner

What was interesting about this weeks visit to that concrete shit hole is the number of what I assume were noobs/part timers.

A lot of people in no colours etc etc.

THAT is what will scare the living whatsit out of the Knights. A % of these people will stick and come back for more. Reducing the available spend on merch/tickets etc.

Given that we have a smaller populace and (relatively) higher crowds, that is not as noticeable at Bluetongue.

Lowy/Brreze FC need to hang their heads in shame for their relative crowds and lack of connection with the community

kepo

Greenpoleffc said:
Lowy/Brreze FC need to hang their heads in shame for their relative crowds and lack of connection with the community
Sydney have been out in the community for functions, special appearances etc, giving free tickets etc.. Helping grassroots etc. Just as much as the mariners

I know our crowds have been shithouse. But the average is increasing.
Most of sydney are part timers. Ie look at the galaxy game (pfttt). Alot of merchandise was sold at that game. We just need them to turn into full time fans.
For example sydney vs melbourne we got 33,000 but then roar final we got 23,000.
Another problem is that fridays games in sydney are shit. Traffic, work times etc.

All clubs in the a-league are doing as much as they can to develop the league and the connection with the community.

and it isn't a breeze winning with breeze.

FFC Mariner

Fair point about Sydney traffic on a Friday night.

Going South on a Friday night (over the bridge) has to be the crappest drive in NSW EVER.

Atomic

Crowd numbers are one indicator of the health of a sport but by far the most important factor is the TV ratings... sad but true. I don't know the comparison between the HAL and NRL but I think the NRL has a massive viewing audience on a weekly basis (with free-to-air exposure). Given this, the 23% increase in Fox's viewing numbers of the HAL is encouraging. However, the HAL is on pay TV, so there are a significant number of people who don't have ready access to it. How this effects sponsorship is unknown. On the plus side, the HAL is truely national and, as we'll find out in 2009, it has exposure in Asia... something which no other major sport in Australia can boast.

This brings me back to my original point... TV ratings. TV rating = sponsorship. There are only so many corporate dollars in Australia and there is competition between the major sports to secure it. Compare the amount sponsorship dollars of the major sports to get a true comparison of the health of that sport IMO.

Whilst I'm on the  :soapbox: I'd like to see football get some free-to-air exposure. SBS did wonders for the game. I hope the Fox agreement doesn't inhibit the growth of the game.

kepo

Atomic said:
Crowd numbers are one indicator of the health of a sport but by far the most important factor is the TV ratings... sad but true. I don't know the comparison between the HAL and NRL but I think the NRL has a massive viewing audience on a weekly basis (with free-to-air exposure). Given this, the 23% increase in Fox's viewing numbers of the HAL is encouraging. However, the HAL is on pay TV, so there are a significant number of people who don't have ready access to it. How this effects sponsorship is unknown. On the plus side, the HAL is truely national and, as we'll find out in 2009, it has exposure in Asia... something which no other major sport in Australia can boast.

This brings me back to my original point... TV ratings. TV rating = sponsorship. There are only so many corporate dollars in Australia and there is competition between the major sports to secure it. Compare the amount sponsorship dollars of the major sports to get a true comparison of the health of that sport IMO.

Whilst I'm on the  :soapbox: I'd like to see football get some free-to-air exposure. SBS did wonders for the game. I hope the Fox agreement doesn't inhibit the growth of the game.
Yep im all for HAL on fta,
but we can't let it turn into a couch potato sport were all the part timers just watch at home instead of getting to the game.
The need a highlight show on FTA soon!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred