• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Sydney vs. Melbourne

elevated position

I dont know why you guys are thinking that this is a two team competition Im have a little on the nix.

Just think if there is no final series you might have to get used to just Sydney and melboune due to their money winning every year.

bjw

bjw
you do realise that this is the first season out of 5 that sydney and melbourne have dominated...?

LFCMariners

Exactly. Only Melbourne have won the Premiership twice.

In Aussie Rules/ Gridiron/ The Rugby codes, the margin for error is larger, scoring points is easier so the better team (usually) wins. Hence the finals series, because the best team normally wins.

In football (soccer) the margin for error is very small, scoring points is quite difficult and it's not at all uncommon for a team to finish 90 minutes with 0 goals. Factor the referee and linesman's calls, which are prone to error, and the better team can often come away without winning. Hence why domestic champions should not be based on a single game, because often the team who wins will not be the best team. Again, imagine the Scum getting lucky over the next month, meeting Sydney (the best team all season) in a single game, having the refereeing favor them (like it did in the 08 GF) and being crowned 'Champions' despite finishing 6 places below Sydney!

Arabmariner

spike said:
Arabmariner said:
spike said:
FFC Mariner said:
Sorta means that in football, the best team wins the league because they are the best team.

You put forward a fairly convincing arguement against the finals concept in our game
I don't think so. The big crowds still go because they like the finals. It's a case of find out what your customers want and give it to them. In this case it's finals.
There's the problem........we're not fans we're customers and it's not a game anymore it's a product  ???

Australian way,european way,what's traditional,what's not ?.........I really don't give a f**k other than I prefer to see a fair competition with the best team being crowned champs at the end.

That's what happens with first past the post.

I agree in principle with what you say, but first past the post isn't infallible either.
The NRL minor premiership last year could be argued to have been won by the wrong team. The Dragons won by a game, but the Bulldogs were robbed by a pathetic referring decision which cost them a win over the Dragons earlier in the season. There's a 4 point turn-around which in the final wash-up cost them the premiership. And before you bag me, no I'm not a Bulldog supporter, I don't really follow any team in the NRL.
FC won the premiership by only 2/3 of a game, so if Melbourne had received a dud decision during the season costing them a win, say a dubious penalty at 90+3, you could be justified in saying that the best team didn't necessarily win.
I agree that first past the post is not infallible atm.....how can it be when it's not an even season ?

Neither the AFL or the NRL play each other the same amount of times in a season.We at least play all teams the same amount of times but really it needs to be evened up to playing each team the same amount of times home and away.Until that happens it will never be a completely fair comp.

There should be no 'luck of the draw' in a league season imo.

That's what the FFA Cup's for..........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred